Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

1st dance - Think I've changed my mind, what are you having?

I originally wanted John Legend "Stay with you" for our first dance, I really love the song and think the lyrics are perfect but I'm starting to think maybe I want something a bit more classic / old school that the older people will know, maybe a bit more upbeat too maybe Al Green? Not into big ballads and major slow jams!image

What are you all having?

• natasha_uk25natasha_uk25 Posts: 2,253
    i had nina simone my baby just cares for me....was cool, we were originally gonna have al green let's stay together....that was my first wedding lol.....for my second one we're having luther vandross so amazing....

You can have whatever you want, some people had snow patrol chasing cars...not quite sure how they pulled it off but each to there own, thats what makes it your song lol x

[Modified by: sweetnsassy on June 04, 2008 09:42 AM]
  • reetsmorganreetsmorgan Posts: 514
    Hi

please don't change your song. Stay with you is a most beautiful song, played it to death at my wedding, including a reggae cover version by Taurus Riley (if your into that kind of thing). Also have refuge ("when its cold outside" on our wedding video) John Legend is a God. Don't worry about the older heads not getting it, auntie Jean will just smile and say thats young folk for you.
  • banwabanwa Posts: 1,296
    I like the idea of Nina Simone My baby just cares for me, I bet that was fun to dance to
  • claremillarclaremillar Posts: 335
    hi thats a lovely song we are having a fun one !!!

going to change a couple of songs

xx
    Quoted:
    hi thats a lovely song we are having a fun one !!!

going to change a couple of songs

xx

That was fab, they looked great ximageimage
  • jojoPMjojoPM Posts: 825
    Quoted:
    i had nina simone my baby just cares for me....was cool, we were originally gonna have al green let's stay together....that was my first wedding lol.....for my second one we're having luther vandross so amazing....

You can have whatever you want, some people had snow patrol chasing cars...not quite sure how they pulled it off but each to there own, thats what makes it your song lol x

1st wedding/2nd wedding I'm confused!

I really wanted to look at your wedding pics sweet but the link has expired any chance? You look like such a cute couple from your avatar pic.;\)
    Love that song So Amazing, ooh, could have Glow of Love.........
  • catlover64ukcatlover64uk Posts: 1,149 New bride
    We're having Unforgettable by Nat King Cole. It was the only song we could agree on. He wanted Percy Sledge - When a Man Loves a Woman. I wanted All My Life by K-Ci and JoJo....

The art of compromise!
  • H2B and I have never slow danced together in our lives, neither of us like it and we aren't starting just because it's our wedding day.

We were originally not going to have a first dance but after much consideration we came up with a plan.

My friends call me Shaz and my H2B is called Dave. So we are going to start off a slow dance to Elvis Presley's "Can't Stop Falling in Love With You" but after 30 seconds our DJ is going to quickly mix it into Chaz and Dave "Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit".

At the exact same point some confetti cannons are going to be fired so it all comes raining down while we both do a silly dance to "Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit".

We personally feel that it will make everyone laugh and suits our personalities perfectly.
    Smiley - I'm sooo glad you said that I was starting to think we were abnormal, we've never slow danced together either (after 14 years!) it's just not our thing.

I love those fun dances though that people are having I'd be so up for it but there's not a cat in hell's chance that h2b would do it. My favourite that I've seen is this one
  • PMSL

That is hilarious! Don't think I could quite convince H2B to go that far but he is well up for the Chaz and Dave idea :\)
    Here's another really good one, last one I promise!

• Thats just made me cry with laughter - absolutely brilliant!

Love the way they've got the kids involved too.
  • hi all,

this is my first post so bear with me!...

My h2b and I like completely different music. I would love some Anita Baker/Aretha Franklin/Al Green where as he would prefer Spandau Ballet/Radiohead/The Killers.

Its a while till the big day so we can have trying out different tracks up to the big day.

My Cousin had her heart set on a specific song and they were all set to go when the DJ announced he forgot to bring it!! After much umming and ahhing they did decide on a track and she says at the end of the day only 2 other people knew they didn't get their track.

Welcome caramelqueen, my h2b keeps saying he has to have Spandau played at some point at the reception we shall see........................

Have you come to a compromise yet?
  • mrskatongeramrskatongera Posts: 310
    This link () is hilarious!

We had "Necessary" by Brandy but it took A LOT of compromising. Don't forget you incorporate other songs you like into different parts eg we I walked down the aisle to "So Amazing" by Luther and we had "Here & Now" playing in the background during the receiving line ... good luck!
  • 141Bash141Bash Posts: 500
    We are having Happy People by R. Kelly
    I love Happy People, we were thinking of having that as the follow on song where everyone can join us on the dance floor.
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

1st wedding/2nd wedding I'm confused!

I really wanted to look at your wedding pics sweet but the link has expired any chance? You look like such a cute couple from your avatar pic.;\)

i got married last year to someone who was a complete nightmare, needless to say it all went crash rather hastily after the wedding, completely shocked me and everyone else.

anyhow i am with someone who i used to go out with before i got married image and we are happy and hoping to get married in barbados in 2010, hope that clears it up a bit?

so i am an old school bride who with some other great women managed to get us this section :\) x
    Quoted:
    Here's another really good one, last one I promise!

That was fantastic, x
    Wow - Sweetnsassy! At least you had the balls to admit that 1st time round wasn't for you alot of people don't, good for you!

Well done for sorting out this section of the site, you must be an expert on all things now then!

Hope 2nd time round is all you want it to be.

xx
    aw thanks i'm sure it will be, if the ship is sinking why drown lol?

i think my wedding video is on you tube if you want to see it lol

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7w1bgYZFqqM

xx
  • jules-rulesjules-rules Posts: 7,025 New bride
    we are having r.kelly . step in the name of love !!

jules xx
    Definitely having step in the name of love too.

Sweetnsassy, had a look at your vid - hope you don't mind me saying but you didn't look overjoyed on the day, was that down to nerves or other stuff? You looked great though and you look like you've got a good set of friends and family around you. Liked the vid too.
  • lowusuuklowusuuk Posts: 4
    Golden lady by stevie wonder or oassis by cool and the gang, my man likes the old unknown classics
    Quoted:
    Definitely having step in the name of love too.

Sweetnsassy, had a look at your vid - hope you don't mind me saying but you didn't look overjoyed on the day, was that down to nerves or other stuff? You looked great though and you look like you've got a good set of friends and family around you. Liked the vid too.

i was shattered...i was up with all my bridesmaid til 4.30am getting stuff ready then back up at 7.30 am setting up.........so i was exhausted, x
    Ahhhh.

How far have you got with planning your 2nd wedding then or have you not started yet?
    not started yet it's a bit early, we thinking of may 2010 in barbados so its a bit early to start yet, x
    All the best for you both, I guess I'll probably see you around elsewhere on the site!

xx
    Right, you may think I'm crazy but we've now narrowed the song choice down to 3. We're not really a slow dance kinda couple so we want something that's more of a 2-step so it's out of Lady by D'Angelo, The Light by Common, or Love no Limit by Mary J Blige. I know they're not the norm but I think they're more suited to us. What do you think? Raise your hand if you have no clue what I'm talking about and I'll find a link.

We're thinking to have Jagged Edge Let's get Married (remix) as the follow-up song for everyone to join us on the floor.