Affidavit help!!!

Does any1 know how long it takes to get one of those things?? How far in advance are you supposed to get it??

I dont even know where to start to be honest. It sounds really thick but do you have to be registered with a solicitor or something or can you walk in some random solicitors and just ask for one. Sorry I just really dont have a clue lol

Love Gem

xxx

• Nitty74Nitty74 Posts: 15
    Are you referring to marriage licence nee affidavit? If so any solicitor should sort this out or you can do it you both can do it yourself and take it to the solicitor to sworn.

Hope this helps! All the best.

• gem_sweetiegem_sweetie Posts: 1,898
    oh blumin heck i dont know lol. I just know its a document to say we are both free and single to marry. I dont know if that comes under the marriage licence bit. Thanks thou it does help... i was starting to worry thinkin oh no nobody knows lol

thanks

xxx
  • kathysukkathysuk Posts: 518
    Hi there, I got mine 2 months before we left for Cyprus - the length of time does depend on the country. Let me know where you are getting amrried and I'll look in my little book for planning weddings abroad.

Basically I did an email out to loads of local solicitors in yell.com. they all came back by email or asked me to call them to discuss fees. I think it is the same price which ever country you marry in so it should only cost a fiver for each affidavit (one seperatley for you and your h2b). They might try to charge you for typing the letter so get around that I typed it up on plain paper and the solicitor used their offical stamp to authorise it. Like I said let me know what country and we can check out what you need!

Kathy x
    Hi cyprusbride060508, thats brilliant thanks so much. We are getting married in Antigua in september 2009.

Thanks for your help i really appreciate it, i just dont really have a clue lol

gem xxx
  • (This post has been deleted.)
    Oh blumin heck lol. thanks for that tinkerbride. I will now be on the hunt for a solicitor but i cant think of any1 who is one eeek.

I bet they will charge through the nose. Thanks for your help

XXX
  • hi i had to get one saying that i wa susing my maiden name to be able to get married in st lucia its easy go to any lawyer tell them you need an letter or affi to state that you are single and free to marry my lawyer done it there and then on a computer cost £75 had to have it so thats that out the way
    cool, am not gettin married till next year, but will start thinkin about looking around.

£75 i wasnt expecting that much does it differ place to place??

• like has been said you could write your own and get them to sign it but i wanted to be sure that it was written properly in legal terms so got the lawyer to do it did not want to have the wrong paperwork abroad when going to get married all the best
    thats a brill point, i think i would rather do what you did to be fair. Just feels a bit more safer that way for me anyway cheers for that xxx
    OMG i thort £75 was bad, bless you hun.

If you dont mind sending me it that would be great a real help thanks so much i really appreciate it

xxx
    thanks for hun great help xxx
    thanks for hun great help xxx
  • kathysukkathysuk Posts: 518
    Hi there, ok for Antigua..

According to my book from Confetti there are no residency rules before the ceremony.

ID: You need a valid 10 year passport preferably with at least 6 months to go before it expires.

Proof of status: a declaration signed in Antigua and obtained from a solicitor

contacts: www.antingua-barbuda.com (Antiguan High Commission)

Tinkerbride is right.. make sure you type up the declaration yourself otherwise the solicitors will charge you silly money. The standard swearing in fee is £5 each but some charge more. I didn't do mine on headed paper just got an official stamp on the bottom of the page and they only chaged me £5. Just double check with the High Commission if you need to have the declaration signed in Antigua or here.. my book says it should be done there???

I hope that helps

x

• If you are writing up the affidavit yourself, what sort of information do you need to put in it?