Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

Trying for a baby....

Hi all,

I know that some of us have kids and some don't,

but when are you thinking of trying for a baby?

and do you want to?

are you going to wait til the wedding?

or just before or after?

or wait a few years?

What is swaying you?

:\)

xx

• mozdavismozdavis Posts: 248
    already trying image

the wedding is in february, so even if i do get pregnant before won't be showing image
  • Jubilee77Jubilee77 Posts: 2,213
    No chance! we will start trying in about 3 to 4 years although I am not discounting the fact that we may change our minds. I definately want to enjoy some time just being married. Enjoying being husband and wife, going out to eat & enjoying ourselves. Taking trips & weekends away & staying over night in hotels at the drop of a hat (or at least whn my son is at his dads house!).

I just don't want to get married then realise that we won't be alone again for ages! We can't go drinking or partying or flying off somewhere just because we want to.

I just want to spend time being Mr & Mrs for a bit

what about you sassy mrs question master!?
  • Jess17ukJess17uk Posts: 2,381
    As for me I've been living in sin with my H2B for two years now!! So we are going to start trying on the wedding day if not 2 weeks before.

I'm a bit apprehensive cause I had a miscarriage last year which left me rather devastated. But all my friends have a child or on their way to having their second, and at 28 years of age I'm beginning to yearn for a child.

That said , the circumstances have to be right financially.
  • NaddyNaddy Posts: 114
    No way. I'm only 25 and so not ready. My h2b is more broody than I am, but he'll just have to wait. He's training to be a primary school teacher so hopefully that will get it out of his system.

I'm thinking in about 3 years time. So we can enjoy being married. But even then the thought of giving birth scares the s**t of out me.
  • CA1312CA1312 Posts: 384
    we have been trying since OCtober and one of the reasons why we bought the wedding forward to March. Should be fine if I get pregnant by then (so long as no morning sicknees, not a good look in a wedding dress!!!) Both h2b and I cant wait!
  • Quoted:
    what about you sassy mrs question master!?

lol well i would love a baby anytime so would h2b but were in so much debt with the wedding that we can't even contemplate having a baby until the wedding is paid for.

Also we want to buy a house next year, and babys cost a fortune, i don't know really....:\(

There is never a good time i guess there will always be something....but when we do it will be planned because i have the contraceptive implant and it has to be removed before we can, its not due out til oct 2008! image
  • Well I won't be trying. I am 43 and already have 3 grown children. H2b has a daughter who is 7 and I know would dearly love another child.

We did discuss the possibility of having a baby, but now that I have had a Hysterectomy that has put paid to that.
  • MoominmummyMoominmummy Posts: 1,621
    That sounds like a long time but I bet it will fly by - when is your wedding?

When we get married in May I'll be 28 & h2b 30. We are starting to get broody (especially me!) and I would love to start trying as soon as we're married, but financially it's not viable right now - H2b can't pay the mortgage on his salary alone!

We have agreed though that come my 30th if we haven't already, we will start trying.

I am also hoping my sister is going to get engaged over Christmas (no indication that she will I just have a feeling!) and I would like to not be pregnant at her wedding so that's another good excuse not to have them yet.

Shame it feels like I'm trying to make excuses to myself though!
  • we get married 30th june 07 , we would both love a baby but were just in a bit of a mess right now so its difficult, i have just started anew job he has too, x
    I'm so scared though of having another miscarriage and going through the disappointment yet again. I love children and I can imagine myself as a mother.
  • jess it will happen, just gotta have a little faith x

lyndsey what you mean ur broken?

we want to foster also thats the reason why we want to buy a house next year so we can do that, if we do start to foster after we get our own home then i will definately go ahead because i will be home anyway....x
  • isha55isha55 Posts: 254
    We would love a child together as we have one each, but i have polycystic ovaries and find it hard to concieve. I have also had two miscarriages and would hate to go through that again, h2b cant wait and wants a little girl who looks like me. Ahhhh. lol
  • emsukemsuk Posts: 1,267
    we have a son already and would love more but will wait till son at school i think.

having a child is fantastic nothing like it but it does mean that your life is no longer your own which takes its toll sometimes, if you can, appreciate all the time you have before, just little things like eating tea undisturbed, going out without a second thought. everything from going to the loo, to going to bed etc is different with a child around. and even when not around they are always in your thoughts. don't get me wrong we wouldn't change having ben for a minute but i was desperate for kids before i had our son and i never appreciated the time we had before. best of luck to all those trying and all those plannign for future. just wanted to give some advice i wish i'd had.

• No more babies for me. Im making sure of that. Getting the snip in january!

I think I'll be a grandmother next! Then I can give em back! LOL
  • Hi everyone,

I would love to have a baby now, but I know in my self that it's just not the right time.

What scares me the most is going back to work. I don't want to bring a child into the world and then give it to someone else to bring up. I would love to be a stay at home mum for at least a yaer, but I don't think we could afford that.
    Quoted:
    we have a son already and would love more but will wait till son at school i think.

having a child is fantastic nothing like it but it does mean that your life is no longer your own which takes its toll sometimes, if you can, appreciate all the time you have before, just little things like eating tea undisturbed, going out without a second thought. everything from going to the loo, to going to bed etc is different with a child around. and even when not around they are always in your thoughts. don't get me wrong we wouldn't change having ben for a minute but i was desperate for kids before i had our son and i never appreciated the time we had before. best of luck to all those trying and all those plannign for future. just wanted to give some advice i wish i'd had.

x

I would like another child in time too but I am waiting fro these very reasons above. I remember when I had my son that although I obviously knew life would be different it came as a shock. I found the first year incredibly difficult & it was hard when I realised I couldn't just "pop out" to get some milk! It took about 20 mins of preparations just to get a pint of milk from 5 mins away!

Lol, everyone does say appreciate your time without children, and after seeig Mums in action I can see why, you can't have a lie in on the weekend like me and my H2B do. Supper is not eaten when you feel like but there has to be a regime. Going out does take a lot of preparation. I will take your advice and enjoy every single minute that I have before child. But sometimes I worry me and my H2B are becoming a bit self absorbed and need a child in our life.
  • I really want another baby one day, h2b has 2 boys and I have a girl already but we do want one more. However, I must admit that I am really scared about the affect having a baby will have on our realtionship. When I had my daughter me and my ex split and I was left alone. I felt really awful about myself and generally I was very depressed. I'm scared about going through this again. I love h2b to bits and I know he is a fantastic father (even to the daughter that isn't biologically his!) but I just want to enjoy our time together for at least another couple of years. I do love being a mum and my daughter is my heart but I just don't feel ready for another baby just yet.
  • Quoted:
    sweetnsassy,

i have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) just like happy1.

We haven't had any luck as yet, but i'm not giving up hope!

keep trying! i know its difficult! afterwards lay with your legs up in the air against the wall for 30 mins helps with conception! lol believe it or not! xxx
  • Hi all

Me and h2b have been trying since Oct no look so far and 4 of my friends and my sister have had their babies in the last 3 months, 3 on the same day and I am really happy for them but a little jealous at the same time

• Hi all me and h2b have been trying for just over 2 years fear that I am also a broken baby making machine. However still having good fun trying and will just have to get a different dress if I have a bump for our wedding day! Will just be someone extra (a very special extra) to share our special day. image

Good luck to all my friend has PCOS and she had her 5th baby 2 years ago so it can be done.
  • Hi me and h2b planning to start trying 3-4 months after wedding- -quite exciting and a little bit scary (actually not just a little bit...)!!! Do want to have some time alone before, but at the same time want to have two babies before am 30! If all goes as planned... Knowing of course that babies can't just be ordered like books on amazon.comimage
  • H2B already has a young child and we want to have our first child as soon as possible. I have a bit of a dilemma - our plan was to have start trying in August 2007 so that if I became pregnant, I could have my first child in good time before the wedding in 2009. But with me wanting to get a new job and with the expense of the wedding, not sure we will be able to afford it! Also would have been nice to wait until after the wedding, but I'm so broody! I'm 29 next month and H2B just turned 33!!
  • natasha_uk25natasha_uk25 Posts: 2,253
    sometimes you just have to go with it, because there is never a right time....x
  • Hey, We're talking about trying after we've get back from our wedding. I'm on the pill at the mo and due to the side effects that can happen (spots, moods etc...) we didn't want them to get in the way of the special 2 weeks we're going to have in jamaica. So will stop taking the pill prbably when we get back. So exciting!!image
  • BooWantsBabyBooWantsBaby Posts: 1,738
    .. We plan to start trying after the wedding (Sept 08), so about late 2008 early 2009... so we can actually start saving again - the wedding is taking all our funds at the moment!!
  • BooWantsBabyBooWantsBaby Posts: 1,738
    .. We plan to start trying after the wedding (Sept 08), so about late 2008 early 2009... so we can actually start saving again - the wedding is taking all our funds at the moment!!
  • To Jess - just to say - I am getting married next year in July, we now have two little boys - youngest is just 4 months! Last August I had a miscarriage and was devastated - I just took it for granted that everything would be fine having already had a little boy and that the scan was just a formality - however when I went we found out that the baby had died - absolutely heartbroken! However I fell pregnant 3 months later - was very nervous, but now have the most perfect second little boy!!!! So after your wedding has past don't be disheartened to try again and I hope everything works out for you! Now my two kids will be with us in Mexico next year when we get married and I can't wait!:\)

Lyn xxx
  • 141Bash141Bash Posts: 500
    We are desperate for children, and as I am in my early 30s we don't want to leave it for much longer. We were actually trying for a baby this summer, even though we were already engaged, but hadn't set a date for the wedding or anything. We eventually set a date and started planning the wedding in September, and so we thought it would be best to stop trying for a baby and get married first, so I've gone back on the pill. My sister had her first baby six months ago and I've seen what a huge life-changing experience it is, and I don't want to be planning a wedding while going through a pregnancy. Also, I don't want to be a pregnant bride now that I've chosen my gorgeous wedding dress - I want to be able to fit into it... We would like to get pregnant on the honeymoon though! I am going to come off the pill again a month before the wedding. When we were trying I was off the pill for a total of about five months and it was so nice not to be on the pill, I felt so much better physically and emotionally, it was great. Now I am back on the pill I feel more stressed, I get more headaches and I can't wear my contact lenses as they get really uncomfortable - apparently this is due to the pill making the eyes very dry. They feel fine when I am not on the pill, I can wear them for hours on end. That's another reason I want to be off the pill by the wedding day, as I don't want to wear my glasses (I am blind as a bat!) but the day would be ruined if my eyes were killing me from uncomfortable contact lenses.