Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

Melia Cayo Guillermo - Cuba - Thomas Cook

Hi All

Im new to this so bare wiv me!!!

Me and my OH are planning to get married next February in Cayo Guillermo. Was just wondering if any one had been to or knows anyone that had been to the Melia Cayo Guillermo and had a wedding there?

Also any comments about booking with Thomas Cook?

Thanx Girls

Em xx image

• paula81ukpaula81uk Posts: 113
    Hi there, I'm new to this too & we're getting married in the same resort! We fly out there on 6th Jan & actually get married on 15th, We're going through Thomas Cook too, booked with an independant travel agent who saved us an absolute fortune, it's so exciting to have found someone who has chosen the same resort as most people you mention it to don't even know where it is, lol!

Paula x
  • emmquiemmqui Posts: 62
    Hi

I know what u mean, its nice to find some1 who knows where I am talking about.

Who did u actually book through? Been looking at booking with Thomas Cook direct but they arent being exactly helpful unfortunatley!!

Em xx
    Hi Em, been having internet problems, hence the VERY late reply! Sorry! We booked through a company called Travel Councellours, google them & their website comes straight up, our 'travel councellour' is a lady called Joy Wright, she's been great, there are loads of them there on the website though, let me know how you get on!

love Paula x
    Hi Em, been having internet problems, hence the VERY late reply! Sorry! We booked through a company called Travel Councellours, google them & their website comes straight up, our 'travel councellour' is a lady called Joy Wright, she's been great, there are loads of them there on the website though, let me know how you get on!

love Paula x
    Hi Em, been having internet problems, hence the VERY late reply! Sorry! We booked through a company called Travel Councellors, google them & their website comes straight up, our 'travel councellor' is a lady called Joy Wright, she's been great, there are loads of them there on the website though, let me know how you get on!

love Paula x

love Paula x
    don't quite know how the same msg has gone on 4 times! Oops!
  • nic2410nic2410 Posts: 459
    Hi, just wanted to say that I went on holiday and stayed at this hotel 3 years ago and we absolutely loved it, I would definitely go back. I can't speak for getting married there but the restaurants in the hotel are lovely especially the Italian and the 'international' restaurant which you can book into once per week. I don't know whether things are still the same but when we were there absolutely everything was included in the all inclusive - as much champagne (including champagne cocktails) as you can drink, freshly made cocktails at the lobby bar (they take it very seriously - no fresh mint and they won't make mojitos - everything has to be perfect!), it is just fantastic, the gardeners cut fresh coconuts from the trees for you and chop the top of them so you can drink the milk (tip - go to the bar and ask them to add rum!). We just loved the place and I really want to go back one day. We saw a couple of weddings when we were there and they were in a little pagoda just off the beach - looked lovely, I am not sure what the arrangements are for after the ceremony though. I hope you have an amazing time and if things are still as good as when we were there then you definitely will - it is easily the best place I have been to xxx
  • Hi I am also getting married at Melia Cayo Gulliermo on 29th January 2009, I have not been there before either but I have heard so many good reports about is and my Mum stayed in the hotel next door (sol Melia) and she said it is Prob the nicest beach she has been to and she is quite well traveled. I went on trip advisor there are lots of travlers photos on there and some really good reviews. x hope you both have lovley weddings x
    Hey All!!

Thanx for your replies!!

Paula - Ive booked direct with Thomas Cook now but thanx for coming back to me! Never got through on the phone so went in and moaned at them instead!! Lol!!

Waiting for confirmation but think my wedding should be on the 06.02.09!! Its all sooooooo exciting!!

All the review for this hotel seem so good and the beach looks amazing!! I really cant wait!!!

Have started looking at dresses, rings and favours now - all the exciting stuff!!

Em xxx image

Hi Em, glad you got sorted in the end! You'll have to let me know how you get on with all of the 'exciting stuff'! I loved dress shopping, only went to one shop though as I found mine straight away! Have fun!!

Paula xx:\)
    Hi Paula,

Ive found adress on ebay that I think im gonna go for. Link is - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350076835006&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=022

It would be made to measure by the lady in China! Think im also going to get bridesmaid dresses from her. Link Is - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120282799644&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=002

Havent decided on the colour of the bridesmaid dresses yet but she has told me I can have whateva colour I want.

Have u got photo's of ur dress?

Trying to be very organised but sure something will go wrong somewhere!! Lol!!!

Luv

Em xx image
  • natasha_uk25natasha_uk25 Posts: 2,253
    hey congrats to you ladies,

if you can avoid bookign with thomas cook please do they are crap.....if you have any problems its like tyring to get blood out of a stone to get a reply! x
    hey congrats to you ladies,

if you can avoid bookign with thomas cook please do they are crap.....if you have any problems its like tyring to get blood out of a stone to get a reply! x
    Hi SweetnSassy,

To late, already booked. What king od problems have u had? Where r u getting married?

Em xx image
    getting married in barbados second time round

however first time round we went to tobago for our honeymoon and the hotel was nothing like they said, it was old and falling apart and the thomas cook said it was perfect for couples but was full of children, when we complaing twice by phone and by letter with pictures to this day they still havent got back to us. Loads of things thats just to name but a few.

there commiunication skills are so poor.

but good luck, hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones, but i know some of the brides on here have had lots of problems with thomas cook, after they have booked there weddings. i would say make sure you make sure everything is in order, and you get everything you have paid for, xx
    Hi Em

Just been having a look at your dresses, they're gorgeous! My dress has a shaped train at the back like that, they really are beautiful & great prices too. the dress I've ordered is by Pronovias & is called 'Delphin', only got 1 bridesmaid, hers is Dessy in Frost colour, which is like a silver colour, it has a little belt too with pearls which is really cute. Not sure how to put links on here, I will try though! Have you found anything else yet? I'm struggling to find nice white shoes, so any suggestions welco

Paula ximage
    Hey Em, here goes, you can see my dress at http://www.suknie-slubne.pl/en/pronovias.php?s=75.delfin my heart actually fluttered when I saw it again just now! I've ordered it in white though, thought it'd be nice with a tan! I absolutely adore it!

luv Paula x
    Hey Paula,

Thats gorgeous!! Im sure ull look stunning!!

Ive fallen in love with my dress to, just got to keep fingers crossed she will still be making it in September when I plan to order it but she sed she wud be!!

Im still look for shoes etc, all ive decided is that im gonna have wedges as we are getting married on the beach and reckon they will be easier to walk in.

Some ppl seem to fo got their shoes from Ebay.

Have u sorted ur jewellry yet? I have been given the following link for jewellry by someone as this woman hand makes it all and u can also design ya own : http://www.cecimage.co.uk/index.html

I fnd a gorgeous set in the Bullring in Birmingham on a jewellrey stand but didnt get it as not sure the necklace will go wiv my dress till i get it, so again gonna go bck Oct time and hope the stall is still there!!

Luv Em xx image
    Ooh wedges, never thought if that, good idea!! i'm a manager in a jewellers so I've got that covered already, had my wedding ring made, it has 2 rows of diamonds all the way around, i love it! It's in my safe at work & I'm always looking for excuses to get it out & try it on! lol! Got a nice vintage style necklet & earrings but i'm not sure if they'll go with my dress until i try everything on together! Oh, don't worry about the resort as my travel agent was saying one of her friends just got back & said it was lovely!!

P ximage
    Lucky u working in a jewllerers!! Bet u got a discount as well u lucky sod!! Lol!! It all snds gorgeous!

Havent looked at wedding rings yet, thats on my to do list! Lol!!

Good to hear the resort is ok, been looking at trip advisor every day to see if there are any new reviews, all have been good so far!!

Em xoxoxox
    My job isn't as glamorous as you'd think! haha, I do get to try everything on though, normally get 30% discount but I managed to get 40% out of the design company as my ring was going to be more than I wanted to pay!! Oh, perkz of the job! I've been checking trip advisor too, & looking at all the picturea of the resort I can find! I'm sure it will be great, I can't wait! We are very lucky girls! xxx
    Hey Paula

Howz things goin?

Emailed wedding planner the other day and cnt believe it but she has emailed back already. Havent even had my pack from the travel agents yet! Im well impressed. She answered all my questions regarding the dates, flowers and reception!!

Hope ur well neway

Em xx ;\)
    Hiya hun, I'm good, got my shoes yesterday!! Total bargain too, reduced from £90 to £40! We've had our stuff from the agent but nothing from thomas cook yet! So what did they say? Hope you are good.

Paula xx
    Hey Hon.

Im good thanks.

She confirmed my wedding date was the 09.02.09 but I have emailed back and been cheeky as I originally wanted the 06.02.09 so said to her was it possible and if not no probs and that I just wanted to check Thomas Cook had given her the right info - Im waiting for her to come back to this email.

She told me I cud have my reception on the beach and they cud bring the stereo system down so that I cud play my own music.

The flowers will be varying colours, reds, blues, yellows etc and would be a mixture of roses and tropical flowers. She sed if I had anything specific in mind nearer the time then to let her know and she wud see what she cud do.

Have confirmed we are also having the ceremony on the beach, the ceremony will be in spanish (wiv a translator) and will be bout 15-20mins long. We will then cut the cake and have a champagne toast before we go have the photo's done!! She has also mentioned about having a cuban band playing whilst im walking down the aisle which I have asked how much extra this wud cost.

What shoes did ya get? Can u post a picture?

Started my diet this week and im well impressed wiv myself actually managed to stick to it this far!! Lol

Hope u r good!!

Em xxx
  • Hello ladies

I hope you don't mind me butting into your thread but I too am getting married at Melia Cayo Guillermo on April10 th 2009.

It sounds like you two are well organised as I haven't even started on anything yet althoud I have my dress sorted, which you can see here:

http://www.bestbridalprices.com/forever-yours-wedding-dress-47125-p-4379.html
  • Hi Missy Mamma

Ur dress is lovely!!

Have u booked the hotel yet? How many ppl are going?

Would you like the wedding planners email and details? Its a lot easier dealing direct with her then with Thomas Cook, means I have been able to get them involved as little as possible.

Em xx
  • Hi Emmqui

Thank you! Urs looks fab too!!

I'm dealing with a lady called Janet Swaby who is self employed but works with hays travel and she is great help. She is dealing with a lady from the resort called. mary and both are just Fab.

Only yesterday we asked Janet to get us a quote for the last two weeks in May 09. If this comes back cheaper then we are more than likely going to move the wedding to end of may so that more people can afford to come. so number are not yet confimed

How about you have you got F&F attending?

• Hi Missy Mamma,

We have us 2 (obvisouly) and 14 others, which are a mixture of family and friends.

Its Mary that im dealing with direct and she is really helpful!!

Ordering my dress the end of this month so need to get on with losing some more weight!!

Booked our hotel for the UK Reception yesterday, so now looking at invitations - Planning to make my own, which cud be interesting! Lol!!

Luv

Em xxx
  • Is it going to be a big receription when you get back?

we have decided not to do one for now but will see.

Ok, the new quotes came in the other day and we have decided to move the wedding to the last two weeks in May as it much cheaper. So it's all systems go now.

I paid fhe deposit for my dress on Wednesday and will pay for the BM dress sometime in Oct/Nov

BTW, wat are you colours? Wats your h2b wearing?