Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

Sit-down west african menu vs. buffet?

I'm new to yayw, but I've got a dilemma... hope you guys can help...

I'm lucky enough to be having our wedding reception in a really grand mansion house in MOrtimer- near Reading and I think that a sit down, 3 course meal would compliment the whole ambience of the day, but I dont wanna compromise on my african food! lol

I was thinking either a light/medium pepper soup to start or like a platter of nibble type stuff and then the jollof, chicken, stews etc and then some kinda fancy dessert.... mum thinks it wont go down well? Just wondered what you all think? Just to clarify, I'd get my caterer to use 'lazy suzannes' those glass spinning things to allow people to help themselves at the table....

OR

I could do the usual buffet thing, where everyone queues for ages and piles loads of food on their plate! Only reason I'm not uncomfortable with the buffet is cos the venue has a really nice servery section just off from the main room, and if we set a second buffet area up to ease congestion - this might look less exciting than the first one....

ok - feedback pls... ; )PP

Also, at the moment I'm deciding between 2 Sierra Leonean caterers but would like to know if anyone else can make any recommendations??

• T123ukT123uk Posts: 44
    Hi,

Ok I had the same problem when I started planning for my wedding ....I sooo wanted a 3 course sit down menu...but my family thought it soo wouldnt go down well...as ppl come to weddings to dance/eat and drink and look preety..

So the idea of just serving jollof rice and Chicken only as main course wont go down well...

So I decided to break it down ....I'm having the ff:

1. Canapes served by waiting staff at pre-reception.

2. A plated starter of Mild Pepper soup and bread rolls...

3. Then I'm having a main buffet...which will consist of everything that you wont normally eat on a normal day.....(i.e mainly the nagerian dishes....like the Rices/moi-moi/Pounded yam/Suya/gizzard&dodo.....

Then I'll just have a chocolate fountain with dips as the desert/ OR have a desert table with all pink goodies and chocolate cakes as my theme is Pink and Choc........

To make the buffet area not to crowded, I'm having 2 buffet sections.....and guests will have a menu list on their tables.... of whats in Buffet Table A and Buffet Table B....so before they stand up they know what table to go to....

Also I'm having table names and will get the MC to call the table names out 2 at a time......once the buffet starts....

so not everyone will rush out for food.....

Alternatively...:

You can still have a 3 course menu ....and then have evening food as well.....but this will surely raise up the costs...

Hope this helps....

[Modified by: Tols123 on July 28, 2008 10:43 AM]

• sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    buffets do not have to be hard work if planned correctly, it mainly comes down to having good staff and stations
  • natasha_uk25natasha_uk25 Posts: 2,253
    i agree with sidewalk if you have the food well spread and lots to choose from then a buffet shouldn't be hard work, as is normally better because people get a bigger choice, and no one can go home hungry because they take enough for them xx
  • sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    Good point SweetandSassy, for some reason, when some people say, how was the food? If its a buffet, they say, "oh I was stuffed" but if its a plated meal they can say "oh, I was still hungry" Remember with a buffet, you can just fill your plate and have secondsimage, but its a plated meal, once the beef for example is gone, thats it!!

I think the key is whatever you have to speak to the caterers clearly about it is you want.
  • BabygaddyBabygaddy Posts: 36
    Side walk,

Hiya, speak i ur catereers and if she is any good, she knows for d naija food she has overcook so for example u say u have 100 guests, she shld cook for 150 (min) but charge u for 100. Tega does dat alot for clients and dats y i recommend her, she is also good with things like starters etc i have given her email add somewhere and can dig it up shld u require it. good luck, pls lets know how u get along
  • ibiduni4nanaibiduni4nana Posts: 1,405
    Thanks for the comments girls. Have spoken with my caterer again and she thinks the pepper soup to start could go down well, and then we can have a buffet for the main course, then buffet dessert and then another round of food in the evening. She suggested that if the pepper soup is table served then it means if people have had someting to eat already, they'll be less likely to rush to the front hahahaha

Tols 123 - I ran your idea past caterer - i.e. you using 2 tables with different menus and she said she's done that before and people kept moving between the two tables. I'm not sure if she thought this was good or bad though... I think we'll go with the 2 buffet-station idea and tell people that its the same on both tables...

so now that we've decided on that, I can start thinking about more interesting things than food... like creating my dream winterwonderland... ; )P