Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

WEDDING GIFT LISTS / REGISTRY?

So girls! what are you doing for wedding guest lists then?

I am sorting mine out as I speak with amazon and asking for visa debit gift cards which can hold from £10 - £250. I am hoping people ill get those more than the gifts from amazon as we want to use them on honeymoon!

• Jess17ukJess17uk Posts: 2,381
    That's a good idea, we've asked for cash but will also hold a gift list from Debenhams
  • mozdavismozdavis Posts: 248
    we're asking for holiday vouchers to put towards our honeymoon!
  • Jubilee77Jubilee77 Posts: 2,213
    I have put on the info pack "it's not to everyone's tastes to give money or vouchers as gifts but if you are happy to do this we would be eternally grateful as it would mean that we could really have the honeymoon of our dreams!"

I am hoping this warms some hearts and makes them get us some!

Also when they see what I have on the gift list people may not want to buy them for us!

I have a DS lite on it, Deluxe scrabble, a mini fridge for booze, a foot massager, electric toothbrush, manicure set, lit mirror and loads of other goodies but no real kitcheny stuff...
  • natasha_uk25natasha_uk25 Posts: 2,253
    lol jess thats a good idea! lol

were having a small list wiht debenhams too but the trick is not to put too much stuff on there so some people will just have to give you cash LOL
    In total agreement with you. I've got a zillion towels so maybe will put on just two sets, I want a dyson, and maybe a few pots and pans, a set of knives, a good set of cutlery, a good set of china, and maybe a nice set of bed linen and that's about it, oh yes and some crytal glassesbut then I can buy those any day of the week from TK Maxx or something. So about 8 or 10 of the 180 guests will be able to get me a gift lol. How can I get people to give me gifts of cash, do I just have a basket to put their gifts into or is there a civilised way of doing it. Don't banks have this servie. I don't want it on credit cards, I want actual cash that I can put into my Savings account lol!!
  • I wanted to do this too, but it seems a bit rude just to ask for money, and where do you put the details of your wedding list?

Julie S
  • I wanted to do this too, but it seems a bit rude just to ask for money, and where do you put the details of your wedding list?

Julie S
    we got a bit marked moeny poems.

jess you get a wishing well, or a post box and people put it in the envelope and write on it if they wish and drop it in the box,

we got two wishing wells, a bit optimistic maybe lol!!! but people can put your wedding cards in them also which is good
    lol, where can I purchase my wishing well. Do you put this near the guest book. How do you make sure noone steals it. I trust my family but hey money is money ...lol
  • NaddyNaddy Posts: 114
    I think we going going to mainly ask for Thomas Cook vouchers. Not for the honeymoon, but to use after for short breaks, renting cottages etc. It would be great if we received enough to go to New York.
    Quoted:
    lol, where can I purchase my wishing well. Do you put this near the guest book. How do you make sure noone steals it. I trust my family but hey money is money ...lol

wishing wells are available on ebay, put it next to top table no one can steal it as its 2ft tall lol! u can put a brick in the bottom if u like xx
    lol, i will put it next to the cake that's a good idea, i will look on ebay now!! thanks Sassy, the fountain of all knowledge!!
  • We have asked for cash or gift vouchers.

The wishing well idea is a good one, I think I'll have a look on ebay as well.
  • SUEDIVASUEDIVA Posts: 1,716
    excellent idea with the wishing well. We too are going to ask for thomas cook vouchers, and my friend who is doing our invitations is going to put in aliitle poem about how me and h2b have lived together for 6yrs so really don't need kettles, towles and things, but make the poem all lovely and heart warming, i hope! haha.
    I've just come across this. https://www.confetticard.co.uk/
    you have to buy the card though to begin with
    Quoted:
    So girls! what are you doing for wedding guest lists then?

I am sorting mine out as I speak with amazon and asking for visa debit gift cards which can hold from £10 - £250. I am hoping people ill get those more than the gifts from amazon as we want to use them on honeymoon!

Pink bambi do you have a link to the visa debit cards. I can't seem to find them.
    go into any natwest and they will have info on them or www.mint.co.uk/giftcards these are available from any branch of royal bank of scotland or natwest too. they are visa electron debit gift cards
    Thanks

• shazza12ukshazza12uk Posts: 129
    We have decided to use One Present.

The website address is www.oneprsent.co.uk

Guest register their gift amounts and then they deposit the total amount into your dedicated bank account.
  • lalapinkuklalapinkuk Posts: 725
    good to get some insights to what people are asking for my h2b & I haev bought our own place over a yr ago and are well established in it so dont really need electronics however we would like to do home improvements ie kitchen, bathroom but didnt really know how to approach asking for money as we dont particularly need anything that we would ask for as wedding presents We originally thought to ask for holiday gift vouchers as they would be something that we would have liked but that was quickly rubbished by our parents image
    I have a gift list at amazon.co.uk & have also asked for visa delta gift cards
  • vaniaukvaniauk Posts: 93
    We're doing a honeymoon giftlist with Turquoise Holidays.

Can't wait for our honeymoon!!!!
  • aneisha13aneisha13 Posts: 53
    Quoted:
    I wanted to do this too, but it seems a bit rude just to ask for money, and where do you put the details of your wedding list?

Julie S
    Hiya,

The trick is to make people feel as if you are not really asking for moneyimage

We have said something like... some of you have enquired about buying us a gift ( we have 2 lists with things we need) inc loads of goodies. But what we really need is cash, wedding costing way too much especially since we opted tohave it abroad to save money. So we said for those that can't think of what to get us we would appreciate cash as we are hoping to do xxx.

I hope this helps
    we put a poem in with our invites asking for cash instead of gifts and everybody has commented on how nice it is and a lot of people are giving us cash, i did put some up on here somewhere under money poems, x
  • JulesBeeJulesBee Posts: 2
    We have gone with www.giftshare.com. They are so great! Check them out. xx
  • petagpetag Posts: 7
    We've got the same issue - we're getting married in South Aftica and not everyone can afford to buy something from overseas (i.e. from our John Lewis gift list) so what I'm doing is a combination of gift-list and honeymoon fund. The UK guests are getting a gift list number and for the SA guests, my bridesmaids are going to send little cards to those who are coming and saying that because we can't bring gifts back with us (baggage limits) they are organising a honeymoon-fund and if people want to contribute, then they can do so. Having the bridesmaids do it takes the pressure off of me because I hate sounding like I'm asking for money. Hope that helps!