Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

Would you pay for a food tasting with a caterer?

Hello,

I have just spoken to a caribbean caterer about my wedding in December.yeah! I know I'm a bit early. They have invited us to a tasting session and said we'll need to pay for this. Has anyone experienced this before or are they taking the .... Help!

• I assume this is the caterer you've chosen for your wedding? If the tasting is chargeable, then it should be a nominal charge or knocked off your final bill.

If you're 'auditioning', then frankly, you should expect to pay. The caterers do need to cover their costs!

Hope this helps!
  • I have never heard of charges for tasting, most of my friends that are married never paid for tasting and I also don't intend to. At the end of the day you need to see what their food taste like before you book them and that should actually be cost that go against their marketing.
  • Our venue is not charging us for the tasting however if we wanted to bring extra people then we have to pay for them.
  • Both Dan'sB2B and Kunbi's friends have illustrated my point exactly! From their posts, it would seem that the venue was already chosen, and yes - you SHOULD taste the food so that you have an idea of what the menu will be like on the day. Most caterers do not charge for this, and if they do, then the cost will be knocked off the final bill.

I'm not quite sure why a tasting should be a marketing cost though. Marketing will already be covered by advertising; for example set-up and running costs for websites, publications, food photography, wedding fairs and so on. At the end of the day, costs DO need to be covered whichever way you look at it. As I see it, potential clients cannot keep 'auditioning' potential suppliers and expect to get this for free!

I work in events and have a fair knowledge of catering, so hopefully, I've offered an objective point of view!!

OP - If you need any help or advice, feel free to mail me and I'll try to help.
  • 92qu92qu Posts: 8
    Thanks guys. I would keep you posted.Has anyone heard about Favour Events and their tasting days?
  • Yes i have been to an event they catered for and to their tastign days (although i hear you may have to start paying for this!!)

I completely agree with Kunbi and Mrs Catlover, however, if they insist one way to get around paying for tasting is to ask the caterer to invite you to a function they are catering for - now i'm not saying gate crash but a lot of caterers are starting to offer their clients this service...