Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

Caribbean/Nigerian caterers: Who would you recommend?

Hi Ladies, I really need your help!!!! My wedding is in 8 weeks and I am looking for a good caterer who does Nigerian & Jamaican food to a high stand and have all the necessary paper work. Who would you recommend and what are your opinions on Jellofpot or Favours? image

• ziggywigsziggywigs Posts: 1,435
    I used Jollofpot - still waiting for responses from Favours to my queries last year. Adowa and Albert were very professional and can't recommend them highly enough.

We had a mixed wedding of Nigerian and English and they managed to do a great mix for us. They did everything they said and more. They will invite you to a free tasting to decide your menu.

Can't recommend then highly enough.
  • magic fingers r great!
  • i dont recommend magic fingers. but I think you should check them out in case they are just what you are looking for.

make sure you go for a taster before parting with a deposit or any money. This applies to ANY caterer.
  • Hi Ladies, thank you so much for your feedbacks!!!! I have a tasting session booked with Jollofpot next week, fingers cross everything will go well. I spoke to Magic Fingers, I felt pressured into paying a deposit even without even tasting the food??!!! That was such a put off.
  • JN2JJJN2JJ Posts: 131
    can i be cheeky and ask roughly how much per head will Jollof pot charge?
    can i be cheeky and ask roughly how much per head will Jollof pot charge?
  • Hiya - I went for a tasting with jollof pot last week! I habe to say I was a little scared as I know they have a reputation for being high end. I actually read somewhere that they did something for Ozwald Boateng earlier in the year so had already made up my mind they were out of my price range. Albert (I think he is the sales guy) helped us put a package together to suit our budget and two things that really stand out for me at this stage is that the quote is itemised so you know where you money is going, also they dont skimp on staff or service.

we have a final tasting next week with the mother in law next week so if all goes to plan - I will have a caterer!!!! yipeeeeeeeeeee image contact them, let me know how it goes
    Nah- I wouldnt go with JP myself

When i spoke to them earlier in the year and gave them my budget, she practiaclly laughed and said no chance.

She also slagged off anothe catering company in the conversation which I thought was highly unprofessional.

• Magic fingers are great. Went to their food tasting and was impressed with their food, service and their decoration was fab too.
  • feelofeelo Posts: 306
    I posted this on another post, but feel it'll be relevant on here...

Yes. We were going to use Favours - especially as the man who owns it it my now husband's uncle (not African style, his sister's brother)

Anyway, initially his service to us was brilliant, listening to us and suggesting different things. Then we had our initial meeting face to face and we couldn't help but find him quite patronising in his tone and putting down our ideas - moreso offensive to me as being a chef is my trade, and I knew what I wanted.

What blew it for us was he charged us MORE than he quoted another friend who had a very similar menu choice with the same number of people (300). That put us off.

I'm not saying Favours is bad across the board, but for our personal experience, we shan't be recommending them to anyone. The same goes for Jellof Pot (I have my own set of reasons for them which I won;t go into)... Hope I don't come across as cynical!

So, we went with another company who people today still rave about their food (we got married in September). I haven't seen them much on this website but they're called AmazingTouch Foods. Unfortunately, they don't have a website of their own but I can assuredly say they cooked our choice of both Nigerian and Ghanaian foods to perfection (the Aunties and Uncles didn't complain - once) and they were extremely professional.

All of them wore badges, black and white uniform and they had LADELLED the foods explaining what was in them (for our non-African guests)...and more importantly, their food was on time. I couldn't praise them enough and I really belive that their professionalism really helped make our wedding a smooth day.

If you'd like their details, i'll be more than happy to give it to you, so just let me know.
  • feelofeelo Posts: 306
    I posted this on another post, but feel it'll be relevant on here...

Yes. We were going to use Favours - especially as the man who owns it it my now husband's uncle (not African style, his sister's brother)

Anyway, initially his service to us was brilliant, listening to us and suggesting different things. Then we had our initial meeting face to face and we couldn't help but find him quite patronising in his tone and putting down our ideas - moreso offensive to me as being a chef is my trade, and I knew what I wanted.

What blew it for us was he charged us MORE than he quoted another friend who had a very similar menu choice with the same number of people (300). That put us off.

I'm not saying Favours is bad across the board, but for our personal experience, we shan't be recommending them to anyone. The same goes for Jellof Pot (I have my own set of reasons for them which I won;t go into)... Hope I don't come across as cynical!

So, we went with another company who people today still rave about their food (we got married in September). I haven't seen them much on this website but they're called AmazingTouch Foods. Unfortunately, they don't have a website of their own but I can assuredly say they cooked our choice of both Nigerian and Ghanaian foods to perfection (the Aunties and Uncles didn't complain - once) and they were extremely professional.

All of them wore badges, black and white uniform and they had LADELLED the foods explaining what was in them (for our non-African guests)...and more importantly, their food was on time. I couldn't praise them enough and I really belive that their professionalism really helped make our wedding a smooth day.

If you'd like their details, i'll be more than happy to give it to you, so just let me know.
  • CONGRATS ESANA ON YOUR WEDDING...haha I didn't know you were on this forum too. You should have asked me, i have good quality contacts for catering.

SimplyDone Events

• Hi Feelo,

Thank you so much for your post, it was really helpful.

Please could I have the email address and contact number for Amazing Touch Foods.

Thank u
  • BrideBBBrideBB Posts: 9
    I am also looking for a caterer, Nigerian food mainly. Feelo, could you forward me the details for amazing touch please.

Does anyone know a catering service that includes decoration? I just assumed getting both together would be more economic.
  • Roseyy1Roseyy1 Posts: 6
    Hi

I dont know if this will help. From my consultation with Unique Dream weddings yesterday . they work with alot of cateres that they also vet, for eg professionalism, on time, food tastimg also. may be you can contact them if you need more info www.uniquedreamweddings.co.uk
  • xxMissTeexxxxxMissTeexxx Posts: 209
    This is a really timely post for me...Ive now (hopefully) found my venue but as is often the case I have to book with their preffered supplier and for carrib/ nigerian cuisine Ive only really got one choice.

Our wedding is fairly big - 250-300, but I totally under-estimated the catering costs and Im even more frustrated as their initial quote didnt include tableware or bar staff - when they added this it came to over £1,500!!!!

I guess my questions are a.) have you guys managed to negotiate with your suppliers? b.) how much are you paying for your main meals (three course with silver service) ?

At the moment Im trying to think of ways to reduce the costs - like not having a starter - are any of you guys doing anything to reduce the costs?

xx
  • Roseyy1Roseyy1 Posts: 6
    Hi Mrsaa

one the things i am doing to reduce costs is the people. my sister had her wedding. and our elders said we must invite people that we havent seen before , out of respect. In the end there were three empty tables, with theses so called people that should of attended. People dont realise that its not like back in the day, EVERYTHING IS PER HEAD !!!!!.

Look carefully at the guest list and move some people to the evening. Do not break the bank for your wedding.. I dont think you can really reduce costs in food. Having said that i have had quotes for £8000 and then one for £3500 the cateres for the lower amount has worked with my wedding coordinators before and they have said there food is lovely professional staff. Today My coordinators negotiaited me a lower price .

Thanks for hearing my Rant hope this helps
  • Diddi Dipset Cuisine is an upcoming Afo-caribbean caterer,

Mainly Nigerian dishes, tasted by a few so far who craved for more.

Our prices are reasonable we are not looking to make money of you.

We are concentrating on awareness and referrals for now.

You can also arrange for sample meals to be sure.

You won't be disappointed, that we know.

Let's talk and work within your budget.

We are currently operate one to one with our clients over the phone or meetings so feel free to contact us.

Visit

www.facebook.com/DiddiDipset

or

blog page

http://diddidipsetcuisine.blogspot.com/

God bless

Diddi Dipset

0798 454 9669
  • I think Magic Fingers are better for FOOD but definately not for SERVICE! I recommend if you're using them, you get everything down in writing!as they tend to go back on verbal agreements and get as much finances as they can from you. And don't expect to get your damage deposit back either!
  • Try www.quotecaterers.com

Quote Caterers is so simple and addictively easy-to-use. Quote Caterers- is the place where Caterers come to you.

Quote Caterers is an online marketplace that brings Caterers, Service Providers and clients together, offering an easy platform to promote and support high-quality work.

Posting a job on the site is free. Quote Caterers operates by charging Caterers and Service Providers primarily when they successfully secure jobs through the website.

Working on a principle of accountability through ratings and feedback, Caterers and Service Providers are rated on their services by those who hire them, making it easier to find high quality Caterers and Service Providers and for service providers to find good quality jobs.
  • DeeBaksDeeBaks Posts: 53
    nigerian traditional attire wedding fan creators...does anyone know anyone?

thank you
  • Bride126Bride126 Posts: 150
    Hi Esana

Congrats on your engagement! I also got engaged last month image

A friend of a friend had her wedding three weeks ago and highly recommend JellofPot to me. She said they were reasonably priced, professional and everyone was happy with the food and service. So I definately think you should try them, I certainly will be!

Good luck and let us know who you decide on in the end!

• Try www.quotecaterers.com

Quote Caterers is so simple and addictively easy-to-use. Quote Caterers- is the place where Caterers come to you.

Quote Caterers is an online marketplace that brings Caterers, Service Providers and clients together, offering an easy platform to promote and support high-quality work.

Posting a job on the site is free. Quote Caterers operates by charging Caterers and Service Providers primarily when they successfully secure jobs through the website.

Working on a principle of accountability through ratings and feedback, Caterers and Service Providers are rated on their services by those who hire them, making it easier to find high quality Caterers and Service Providers and for service providers to find good quality jobs.