HELP!!!

I am getting married in 3 weeks!! my original plan was to invite and make room for 150 people for a nice intimate family/friend wedding. For those of you who are african (Nigerian in my case), you know how this is a near impossible task. I might as well walk on water. That is much easier.

Anyways I ordered only 100 invitation cards, as most of our friends have wives or girlfriends, so it was guest + 1.

Now for some reason that is beyond me, I have people inviting themselves now, especially from my inlaws' side. As a result, I am now expecting over 200 people. I can't even dream of making provisions for the extra because more people mean more tables, more tables mean more centre pieces, more plates, more crockery etc and all these things cost money. The thing is that I can't even say no now because most of these 'extras' have money and i know they will dish out generously on the day. You guys know that planning a wedding, you will welcome any avenue that will generate some cash.

Anyways I am thinking that the original plan of seating for 150 people will remain in place. however, as the room begins to overflow, I will get the hosts to provide more seating in the foyer for guests. they can use plastic plates and cutlery to eat. I was thinking that this will not be so bad as most people will be paying attention to what is going on inside the hall rather than in the foyer.

Do you think this is a good idea or am I just being mean? At this point in time, i really cannot be bothered and refuse to be stressed because of this. Those who come late can sit in the foyer. Abi?

• HeidiErdoganHeidiErdogan Posts: 518
    Ermmm , If I was invited to a wedding and I was made to sit in the foyer and eat from plastic ware, whilst everyone else is having a proper table and crockery with linen and my presence was expected, i was be quite insulted to be honest.

But that is me. I have extras coming too which I am not happy about but I am finding ways of making my budget stretch!

Heidi xx
  • oguchieoguchie Posts: 41
    I know i know, but what can i do? I am already over budget and all these extras cost money. I want to make the overflow look as inconspicuous as possible. But how can I do this with out spending anymore money. The venue will provide the extra tables and chairs but what can i regarding the trimmings without spending anymore money? God I can't wait for this to be over. For me it's like waiting to be executed.
    HAHAHAHAHA Dizzy!!! sorry not laughing at you, laughing with you because I know how bloody stressful it is. I got really upset when all these plus ones were coming, because I didnt invite any of them!

Can the venue seriously not let you have any more crockery?

Heidi xx
    the venue does not provide anything, except the space and the tables and chairs. my decorator is proving everything to do with the reception, except the food and drinks. She will be the one to provide the centre pieces, linens, chair covers, crockery etc. If i ask for any more items, they will cost more. oh i don't know. i'm really stuck with the way i feel now, i can't be bothered. these things always work themselves out...right? Thanks for your advice though. i know it's not easy at all.
  • Mummy2KMummy2K Posts: 627
    Dizzytown,

what a nightmare!! i get wed in 3 weeks too and i know what you mean about that "can't be arsed feeling"!! but maybe you don't have to compromise on the look of your big day.

suggestions:

1) is it possible at all that the plus one's come after the sit down meal part, that way you can save money on catering for the extra people and they can still have an invite for the evening do (which you could easily make yourself-i did, i'll e-mail you the template if you're interested)so that they still feel welcome and you would stiil recieve your gifts.

2)could you possibly get money from elsewhere i.e. parents or other relatives?? you could always pay them back after the big day.

3) could you explain to the +1's that they can't come due to financial reason?? if they really have your best intentions at heart you may still recieve the gifts???

let us know what you decide xx
    I personally would just say to the people inviting the plus ones that it has gone over budget, and because you still want them to be part of the day, they may have to sit in the foyer and have plastic ware, if they are aware of it, they wont get a shock on the day, but you know what people are like, if they are not forewarned they will all start moaning and kissing up their teeth and so on! So i would warn them, because it wont put them off if they want to be part of your day.

Heidi xx
    Thank you so much Mrs E2B. i think I will go with the first suggestion. The reason being that after the sit down meal, people are usually to full to be bothered about the decor of the hall, then this is when the extras can come in. that's a good idea. can you please email me the format? my address is [email protected] thanks for your help.
    I am telling you girls, i wish i could just close my eyes and when i open it, it's time for my first anniversary.
    LOL Dizzy, I love your sense of humour! I am sure most brides to be feel the same, I know I have aged lots and the nivea is not helping either whereas my h2b is chilled because he doesnt have to help or worry since he is a male and they are useless!

It will be worth it on the day!

Heidi xx
    Thanks Heidi. this forum is really great, us helping each other out. Thanks for all your help. i have learned quite a bit today image
  • sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    Hi, It is a nightmare, but it can be solved, I also would feel funny if some guests had plastic and some had metal, they should all have metal - it will cost a bit more but worth it to avoid the hassle from the plastic guests, but with the table centres because they will be in the foyer, the table centres can be low or very simple - tea lights etc, letting them see what is going on inside, which will save money. A table plan is so needed because sod's law is that the foyer people will arrive early and the inside cosy guests will arrive after, and people may sit anywhere and it will case a problem. Good luck.x
  • Mummy2KMummy2K Posts: 627
    Ive sent it chick. let me know that you've recieved it. hope it helps. i had to do evening invites to avoid the numbers going too high also. and to be honest a lot of people don't mind they just wanna be able to see you at some point in the day, and i guess a lot of people are begining to understand that the food they're eating doesn't actually come free!! xx
    I have got it. Thanks. OMG I just realised we are getting married on the same day. Wow. What are the odds?! We have exactly 18 days to go now. We are going to be anniversary buddies! I wish you all the best. Thanks for your help.
  • natasha_uk25natasha_uk25 Posts: 2,253
    lol dizzy you sound like your in warp speed!

just invite the others to the evening. They will have to just accept that they can't invite themselves and think its ok, x