Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

Drinks at your reception

Hi Ladies,

Quick question. Provide all drinks ar your reception or not? A lot of the venues I have contacted will charge a corkage fee if we don't use their bar. At the same time, I know how everyone will reach if they have to pay for their own drinks. One venue would not even consider hiring to us if we wanted to use our own drinks (they were OK about us using our own caterer though).

I know we will provide all the drinks, but just wondered what your thoughts were?:\?

• sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    We are providing all the drinks for everyone using the hotel. Because our numbers are small, its very easy to do. In my view, if you are spending more money on drink than on food, then the venue you chose should allow you to hire the place exclusive and provide your own drink, but if you are spending more money on food than drink, corkage maybe the way to go.

If it were me, I would offer all guests a free bar and choose a venue that lets you do what you want. allowing you to bring in your own food and drink.x
  • sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    Hi i read it back and it didnt make sense.Sorry, I mean, hire a venue that lets you do what you want with both food and drink. I dont know one catering manager that counts what you bring in. If you give them a reasonable figure thats good.x
  • BooWantsBabyBooWantsBaby Posts: 1,738
    I'd go for a having your own drinks... especially if your guest aren't going to expect to pay for the drinks

Its a pain to pay extra for the the corkage fee, but i personally think a free bar is alot better.

If the corkage charge is overly expensive, maybe have a look around for a different venue?

xx
  • minaminaukminaminauk Posts: 157
    We had have the perfect venue for various reasons, so and to compromise on some aspects. It is a hotel, so they dont allow you to bring your own drinks. We have two hundred guests and a free bar would be ridiculously expensive I think. So we are doing a champagne and canape drinks reception, wine and champagne for toasting for the meal, and putting £1500 behind the bar. Do you guys think this is adequate? It will be a mixture between an English and Nigerian crowd. Ofcourse at the trditional wedding the week before we are providing unlimited drinks (although not everyone will be going to both) xx
  • sable1975sable1975 Posts: 42
    Hi,

I think we have found the solution - just need to view an alternative venue next week which I'm hoping will be as lovely as the pictures show
  • My venue is allowing us to bring in all non-alchololic drinks but we have to buy the rest of the drinks from the bar, but we will be having a tab behind the bar as well. This might be something you could negotiate with your venue
  • My venue is allowing us to bring in all non-alchololic drinks but we have to buy the rest of the drinks from the bar, but we will be having a tab behind the bar as well. This might be something you could negotiate with your venue