Ghanaian wedding ideas?

Hi girls,

Although my H2B was born and brought up here he and all his family are Ghanaian. Our wedding is going be really quite traditionally english, we are going to be married in our village church then having our reception in a castle. But I would really like to involve some Ghanaian traditions or aspects to our wedding. has any one got any ideas?

Thanks

• koolbridekoolbride Posts: 85
    How about having african drummers or an african dancer at the reception?

Wedding favours with sankofa images (bird looking back).

Wedding favours tied with a strip of kente or wedding invites with a kente border.

I have put a link for a company that have Ghanaian drummers and dancers.

http://ancestralhands.com/

• jemstarxxjemstarxx Posts: 628
    Hello, i dont have much to add to this thread, but i will be eagerly awaiting the responses. My h2b is ghanaian, well born here but went to ghana as a child then returned in his late teens. His native mother tongue is 'fante' but try as i might i cant get him to teach us any as i though that would be a nice thing, to say our vows in fante, not only that but it would be nice to be able to speak another language especially as as his family all slip into their mother tongue when all together. So learning the language might be a nice idea if you have long enough.

I am trying to incorporate the kente cloth as well, his grandmother and her family (his mum and her sisters did not continued the tradition after she died, i think because they've all spent so long overseas at one time or another) are the royal line of a particular tribe in a village in Takoradi. The family kente is the same green as with the other kente's but it also has a pale yellow and gold weaved in it, it is a really bright, sunny cloth. We are going to use it as a runner on the top table, and have squares of it on all the other tables, i have also changed the green of my bm's dresses so that it matches the kente green, and if i can get enough made i'd like the grooms mens waiscoats to be made from kente, or at least h2b and then the groommens cravats in kente cloth.

whatever you plan organise it soon cause everything happens differently in ghana, what can take one person 6 months, with the right money you can pay someone not to sleep for 2 days and have it finished in 3. If you are having kente order/organise that soon too as the weaving process takes a while and ust to make sure you want it here a good few months before the wedding. If your h2b has any family travelling-i'm sure he knows this, its best to get whatever you want brought over with them. When we went at christmas we took at least 2 cases worth of things for other people and 1 on the way back for people here-the post is a nightmare. Plus there are lots of different kente's so you need to have a look and choose one, see if you can find one to go with your colour scheme, or if you or your h2b has good contact/family over there you could even get one specially made.

Also get your invites and stuff over there asap, with the visa situation its really difficult to get over here, especially if you've not had a visa before, ther's a whole load of paperwork and things like invites and proof that you are getting married like wedding licence will help those who want to come over prove that they are coming for a weddng and will return after. You may be really lucky like me and h2b's family have indefinate stays etc, if not get on the case now and start the ball rolling.
  • Hi,

I am Ghanaian and I am having the Kente cloth tied around both mine and my bridesmaids flowers. It will also be tied around the little flower girl and page boy. We are aslo using it to tie around the chairs that me and H2B will sit on in the church. We are not using very much fabric due to the cost, but it will be noticeable.

We are having an African / Nigerian / English wedding breakfast and African dancers performing in the evening.

My H2Bs mum wants me to get changed in to traditional attire in the evening, which I have refused. I love my dress and I only get one day to wear it!! So thats a very sore subject. H2B is Nigerian and finding it difficult to incorporate his culture in to the day.

Good Luck
  • Hi,

I am Ghanaian and I am having the Kente cloth tied around both mine and my bridesmaids flowers. It will also be tied around the little flower girl and page boy. We are aslo using it to tie around the chairs that me and H2B will sit on in the church. We are not using very much fabric due to the cost, but it will be noticeable.

We are having an African / Nigerian / English wedding breakfast and African dancers performing in the evening.

My H2Bs mum wants me to get changed in to traditional attire in the evening, which I have refused. I love my dress and I only get one day to wear it!! So thats a very sore subject. H2B is Nigerian and finding it difficult to incorporate his culture in to the day.

Good Luck