black hair and makeup

Hi there.

Getting married in feb 09 but am having trouble finding a hair stylist and makeup artist that is comfomfortable with weaves. Would like one person who can do both to try and save on costs. Getting married in East Sussex but am willing to pay travel costs from london or Brighton. Can anyone recommend someone they might know?

Going to get my weave done before the wedding. Its not actually a full weave just 5 or 6 rows wich is layered between my relaxed hair. My regular hairdresser is great but she cant do makeup.

Is anyone else worried about the hair and makeup situation?

• catlover64ukcatlover64uk Posts: 1,149 New bride
    Hi nat1. I know what you mean about the hair & makeup situation. I'm getting married in Ireland, and have found it pretty hard going finding a hairdresser and make-up artist. But have found both now thank goodness!

This month's copy of Black Hair & Beauty has a brilliant pull-out section full of good ideas about hair & makeup.

Have a look at these threads as well:

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/index.php/chatroom/topic/84676

This talks about make-up.

And this one I started as was finding it a real struggle to get ideas for my weaved hair.

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/index.php/chatroom/topic/80854

The girls were absolutely brilliant & so helpful.

There's also another thread about weaves here:

http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/index.php/chatroom/topic/90276

Hopefully you'll find some inspiration. Failing that - Google!

x

• I can wholeheartedly reccommend Yemisi Brimah. She does hair and makeup based in London but she'll definately travel.. check out www.organzaboutique.com or google me and i'd be happy to reccommend other hairstylists and makeup artists i've worked with. I'm not allowed to give out my own personal details on here.

Good luck!

xxx
  • I am getting married on 2nd Aug and am totally stressing about my hair and make up!

I had a make up trial with benefit and a bridal workshop with mac- lots of good ideas but don;t really want to do my own make up.

As for my hair I would like to have a pick amd drop and then put it up. I have got a hair dresser coming to the house the morning of the wedding but it isn't the same one that puts in my braids. The problem I now have is that I have just taken out my pick and drop and don't really want to put it back in until 1/2 weeks before the wedding. Was thinking of having a weave now (alot quicker to put in and take out!). But then that means I can;t have an hair trial until just before the wedding. Any advice? I live in Surrey

xx
  • brownsuga70brownsuga70 Posts: 54
    Quoted:

As for my hair I would like to have a pick amd drop and then put it up. I have got a hair dresser coming to the house the morning of the wedding but it isn't the same one that puts in my braids. The problem I now have is that I have just taken out my pick and drop and don't really want to put it back in until 1/2 weeks before the wedding. Was thinking of having a weave now (alot quicker to put in and take out!). But then that means I can;t have an hair trial until just before the wedding. Any advice? I live in Surrey

xx

I'm curious, what style is pick and drop?:\?
  • SBHSALONSBHSALON Posts: 43
    Hi Brown suga70, pick and drop is when you have braids fixed in with extentions, but only an inch of your hair is braided, then let loose. it gives the illusion of a weave until you get closer to the person then realise its actually braids.
  • nat1uknat1uk Posts: 52
    Hi Lolamaja

Just googled you. Thanks so much for the recommendation. Prices are very reasonable and i'm impressed with the different services available.

Now just have to decide if i have enough in my budget to have you or one of your assistants.

Will keep you posted.
  • Jubilee77Jubilee77 Posts: 2,213
    I was very worried about it and found a great woman who did mine. I have my hair relaxed and she pinned a hair piece into it and did my make up and also my mums and sisters and my sister hair too.

At first i was worried about letting a white woman do my hair and make up . I MEAN NO OFFENSE! just that sometimes there can be some dodgy results on black skin but she was soooooooo brilliant. she also did my hair and make up for my boudoir shoot. I would reccomend her to anyone!

http://www.inspiredweddings.co.uk/index.html

• Jubilee77Jubilee77 Posts: 2,213
    I am uploading some pics of my hair and make up onto facebook now so u can see then I'll post the link or pics or something!