Rum cake

Does anyone have a rum cake recipe?

• I used this receipe a few months ago and got the seal of approval from my MIL who makes amazing black cake. I soaked the fruit mixture for over a month and found i didn't need to add more rum afterwards as it was quite potent! Hope you like it

Traditional Rum Wedding/ Christmas Cake

1Ib Butter, softened

1Ib Dark Brown Sugar

12 eggs

1Ib Flour

2tsp Vanilla extract

2tsp Baking powder

2 tsp baking soda

2tsp burnt sugar

Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Rum

2cups Fruit Mixture

FRUIT MIXTURE:

1Ib Prunes

1Ib Raisins

1Ib Currants

1Ib Cherries

Fruit Mixture: Chop fruit in blender or food processor. Put into a jar which can be tightly sealed. Cover the contents with rum and seal the jar.

Keep in a cool, dark place. This should be done at least 1 month in advance of the cake. If you don't use all of the fruit mixture, don't worry...it will keep for years! It's also a great topping for vanilla ice cream!

1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until pale yellow.

2. Add 2 eggs at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and burnt sugar.

3. In a medium bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Add slowly to the large bowl, mixing well.

4. The batter will be very heavy. Add about 2 cups of the fruit mixture (more or less according to taste). Mix well.

5. Pour into well greased and floured cake tins.

6. Bake at 350 F for about an 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

7. Once the cake is cooled (do not remove it from the tin), pour approximately 1/4 cup of rum over it. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.

8. Check the cake every 2 to 3 days. If it becomes "dry" add some more rum. Continue in this manner for 1 month. (You might not have to add any rum to it after 2 weeks, but keep checking it.)

• marie61ukmarie61uk Posts: 8
    Thank you for the recipe.
  • vmarshyvmarshy Posts: 14
    Love the recipe. I am having over 100 guests to my wedding how many cakes tins do I need and what size do I need? Once I know the how many cakes I will get per recipe I can work it out from there.

[Modified by: Backup on May 22, 2008 08:32 PM]
  • KatselinKatselin Posts: 4
    Hi,

I am also having black cake as my wedding cake...my grandma says she wants to soak the fruit now...we are one year away - will it keep?? I darent question her skills and I shouldnt really as she is an amazing cook...and her black cake always fab...but a year???
    Hi

Your grandma is right the longer the better!!!
  • ieashaaieashaa Posts: 10
    Grandma's always know best, the alcohol preserves the fruits. I have had mine soaking for a 1 1/2 years. Happy Baking.image
    I have now chopped and soaked the fruit which was a bit messy to do, but smells devine. Still want to know how many cake tins do I need for the receipe and what shape should I use?