Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

General Chat -- to get to know each other and other support

• sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    HI I am defo starting my diet today, I went food crazy over the weekend! Good that you have not put any on, I have put on a stone! I love the flower girl dresses, they really look so cute, I am lovely the flower on the side and the bow at the back and thank god they fit!! You must make sure the kids do not eat any percy pigs!Lol!! You could look at the little shops that sell the flower baskets made out of material, that can be folded into the suit cases, they come in pink and white, I cannot remember where I saw them, they were tiny, will have a look on line.
  • nuttyenuttye Posts: 111
    'Ello, 'ello!

Bit slow to catch on this thread, but better late than never!

I'm a born and bred Londoner with Nigerian parents, and my beautiful h2b is a born and bred Ghanian (though he's been here for almost ten years now).

We're getting married September 6th 2008 in a Berkshire village and moving to London after.

Sidewalk, you're funny - 'Percy Pigs' are luurrvelly unfortunately image I'm on the weight loss tip too, so we should try and check in with how each other's doing every now and again.

I still can't believe I'm getting married in about four months time - it's something you always dream about, yet it'll be reality for me in the blink of an eye. I CAN'T WAIT!!! image
  • nuttyenuttye Posts: 111
    I tell you what as well, I'm loving all the cross-cultural couplings there are on this thread...
    Lol, you are funny Nuttye! I agree ref the weight alert - I blame M and S.lol Ihave at least 1 and a half stone to lose , is it going to happen? I have no choice!Lol.image

I also agree, lots of different cultures in this thread, which I think is great!x

[Modified by: sidewalk on May 06, 2008 05:39 PM]
  • rosyroseukrosyroseuk Posts: 97
    Hi my name is Rosemarie. I and my partner are Black British. My parents are Jamaican and my H2Bs parents are from Grenada & St Lucia. We are still strugling to decide where to get married - but most probably going to get married in Grenada in May 09.

Congratulations to you all on your engagements.
  • N1SEXYTINGN1SEXYTING Posts: 111
    Quoted:
    I tell you what as well, I'm loving all the cross-cultural couplings there are on this thread...

same here! its like we're representing!

Gosh, the registry's this sat, picked up my dress and my shoes. Still looking for my daughter's shoes but can't seem to find her size anywhere! trip to Lakeside on thurs for sure!

ladies, can i ask for some sample of your evening reception order of service as i'm struggling to decide what comes before what!

@sidewalk and nuttye, good luck with the dieting, i'm trying to stay off the Haagen dazs now i've had my final fitting and all image but i'm craving some ice cream like mad!
    ^^ I saw your dress with the gold sash and you are slim, you have nothing to fear at all!! Enjoy your ice cream!Lol!
  • N1SEXYTINGN1SEXYTING Posts: 111
    lol, thanks but you don't understand, i can't just eat a little of it, i have to eat the whole tub and then i want more!
    ^^ I know the feeling, but you dont need to lose any weight, your dress looked perfect on!
  • catlover64ukcatlover64uk Posts: 1,149 New bride
    Hi Trini Bride. Your venues sound lovely! Never been to Trinidad myself, but nothing beats a home wedding. We're getting married in a cathedral as well and having our reception in an old woollen mill which is very pretty. I'm hoping for a dry day (!!!) so that we'll get some nice pix.

My dress is due at the end of the month, and am NOT looking forward to fittings. I'm sure I've put on weight and I'n having nightmares that the dress won't fit....

Still waiting to see if my proposed MoH is able to make it having just had a baby. Oh the stress!
  • ONELOVEukONELOVEuk Posts: 141
    Hi everyone, my name is Pauline. Both h2b and I are British born with parents from Grenada, where we will be getting married in June 09.

Struggling to get rid of this damn spare tire that is creeping up on me with great speed, I think they call it 'middle age spread!!!!' I call it something else image (can't print it here lol!) So my second home is... the gym!

Great thread! Keep it going, we all need the support.

Congrats to you all!
  • debbieolatdebbieolat Posts: 23
    Hi, i'm debbie. Both H2B and I are nigerians. Getting married in nigeria December 20. 228days to go.
  • BooWantsBabyBooWantsBaby Posts: 1,738
    Which diets is everyone following??

Worked out that i want to lose 1lb a week... which sounds relatively easy, if i stop scoffing my face and get to the gym. That's me a stone lighter for Jamaica image

Despite the LOVELY weather i dragged myself to an exercise class yesterday, which was a complete embarrassment image Half way through i just wanted to run out, as i was soooooo tired, completely out of time with the routine...(next time i'll make sure i stay at the back of the class, so no1 will see me in the mirror, lol)

But i persevered, and felt really good doing it.... Even joined h2b with some sit ups last night!!

Doing aqua aerobics and an hr at the gym today... no doubt my body will be aching by the weekend.

How's everyone else doing this week?? Thinking of stopping at the WW meeting to pick up some of there sweets, which are really low fat/cals, because my weakness is when i'm at work and snacking when i'm bored!

Enjoy The Good Weather :\)
  • brownsuga70brownsuga70 Posts: 54
    OMG Don't talk to me about diets

Cause I soooo happy I can't stop eating, I can only lose weight when. I'm sad.

Luckyly Dress has a lace up back so my girls are gonna have to really lace me up. imageimage

• sable1975sable1975 Posts: 42
    Hi Ladies,

This is a fabulous thread. I love it!!

I'm Ghanaian/Sierra Leonean and H2B is Nigerian. We're getting married in May 09, we had the big traditional wedding last September (10 days before I gave birth - how's that for stress!!!)

Highly recommend WW, I've been doing it for 4 weeks and have lost 6lb (woohoo) I always used to tease my sister when she started but it REALLY DOES WORK.

Tinkerbell, I'd love to have the will power to do exercise, I know I really need to get into it. Our Son is now 7 months old and crawling so running around after him is good exercise, no? Also just returned to work after maternity leave and do lots of travelling up and down the country so maybe that will help???

It's a beautiful day today, whatever you are all doing - enjoy xx
  • sable1975sable1975 Posts: 42
    Oh yeah, my name is Eunice.

N1SEXYTING, all the very best for Saturday hun x
    Did I hear the 'D' word???? Oh boy, I'm struggling!

It doesn't help when the other half turns up with Irish black pudding and sausages, and insists on feeding me white chocolate which he KNOWS I have a fatal weakness for....

Lipo anyone? image
    Quoted:

Lipo anyone? image

Yes please. Whats the recovery time. image:\)

I've only got 37 days image

You know the one!

37 days -OMG!! You must be SO excited....Where are you doing the deed? Are you set now Brownsuga?
  • minaminaukminaminauk Posts: 157
    Really slow catching up to this tread! My name is Amina and I am Nigerian (lived in England most of my life) and so is h2b. Getting married 18th April 2009 in Waltham Abbey, Essex! I also have joined the diet bandwagon and joined weight watchers last week. Or as I like to call it Fat Fighters! I have been far too happy and eating the same portions as my athlete h2b therefore voila need to lose about 2 stone before I know I will feel fabulous! Slow and steady wins the race though, WW is fab so far. First weigh in today so fingers crossed! xx
    Hey Catlover 64

I'm really really excited but also a bit worried.

you see at the the every single minute at the mo is spent doing wedding stuff and checking out the forums. What's gonna happen after the wedding I know theres married life to look forward too. but the planning stage is sooooo exciting.

I'm getting married in Higham in Kent.

Most things are done. Still waiting for my pageboys, suit trousers to turn up (Random I know). Next has sold out them.

Still thinking about wedding favours but haven't sorted them out yet.

I'm sure it will all fall into place during the last week.

• ONELOVEukONELOVEuk Posts: 141
    Hi Ladies, just a thought!! Has anyone thought of a GTG (Get-To-Gether) somewhere in London, for drinks and a chat about all things wedding (or perhaps not if you're looking for a break from the subject.) I'm assuming that most of us live in some part of London. I know our time is taken up with wedding planning etc...... but it's an idea!
  • Eme91Eme91 Posts: 35
    Hi ya, I'm Nigeria and so is my H2B. you guys are all so helpful image

wedding is 1st Nov 08 in london. So nervous at the moment. too much to plan, LOL!!
  • BoopyeeBoopyee Posts: 64
    Hi...just saw this...Both me and my H2B are Londoners. We will be getting hitched 7th March 09 in High Barn, Essex. So much to do...!!

Who else is getting married/ having a reception in a Barn?
  • BooWantsBabyBooWantsBaby Posts: 1,738
    37days BROWNSUGA!!!! imageimage

You seem relatively calm??!

I also love WW!! Well done with you're weightloss

I always go on it to lose those extra pounds, and it works sooo quickly AND easily!! I like my food, and don't like being told what to eat and when to eat it... so WW works well for me image

I've been reading through the books i've got from earlier this year, but doubt i'll stick to the point like gospel as im only allowed 16 points... i'd bloody die if i lived off 16points!!!

So i'm going for the healthy eating option instead and just using it as a guideline image

My legs are killing me already for yesterday... so just going to do the hour aqua aerobics this evening. I get my willpower from thinking about my holiday pictures in Jamaica... 90% of them will be me in a bikini, so i have to look as near to perfect as possible image

The weather is getting better (she whispers.. before i changes again), so at least we eat less and drink more, hopefully that will help with a pound or two a week?!
    Good luck to everyone losing weight! I am starting myself tomorrow and actually looking forward to it, I think this hot weather makes me realise that actually, I have to lose weight to be able to wear most of my clothes!Lol!

Brownsuga, 37 days, that is so close!Its great that you have most of the things done.

Onelove, ages ago, the last brides on this section organised a meet and they all met up, I read that they had a great time when they did.

Its great that you are keeping up the WW and exercise Tinkerbell, I need to follow your example!Lol!

x

Yeap gotta be calm. Cause at the end of the day it's about me and H2B. As long as we get married that's all that matters. I refuse to get stressed over tiny details that people may not even remember after the day

I've actually been quite.lucky cause I normally get stressed very easily but H2B is really laid back.

I totally believe in fate and if it happens it happens and if it don't then ok.

PS. Found another suit for my pagebay by on ebay yesterday so fingers crossed ( that Next one can go back).

[Modified by: brownsuga70 on May 08, 2008 08:21 AM]
    I agree with that viewpoint, a friend said that people remember a few things, the dress, the disco and the food!
  • Hiya Ladies, I'm also attempting to lose about a stone in the next 3-4months, but i don't know if that is feasible!!! My dress fits me perfectly everywhere else, except it doesn't quite zip up the whole way as i am quite busty! My dressmaker says she can change the zip to a lace up if i don't lose the weight but i think it would be a shame to have to change the dress if all i need to lose is 3-4 inches round my chest.

I've tried a few diets on and off but with no results, maybe i don't keep at it long enough and i am such a chocaholic...its my one sin.

Good luck to all ya'll getting married in the next few days. It must be soooooo exciting.

OneLove, your idea of a GTG is interesting. Keep us posted
  • GarrymcGarrymc Posts: 305
    Hiya ladies,

I am having the same problem as you AyoG!! My back is soo wide but my bust is ok. sooooo random-i need to lose 2 inches i think. I am a size 8-12 depending on which shops i visit but i know that i'm slightly overweight at 66kg and 5foot3 high. My dress fits everywhere except it stops zipping up halfway up my back. Unfortunately, i don't have an option for a lace up back(see Benjamin roberts 930 dress on google). I have to lose 10kg in 65 days. I can do it with the cayenne pepper lemonade diet or lighter life for 2 weeks but i can't start till June when my exams are done otherwise i get headaches and lose concentartion easily. I hope it'll give me the added benefit of clearer/glowing skin because it is more of a detox. You lose 1 stone in 2 weeks. I have to otherwise i have to sell my dress image( it just can't be altered in that way i don't think.

p.s. don't you hate it when people say 'oh you're such a skinny little thing, you don't need lose weight' GRRRH i clearly need to cos my dress doesn't zip up.