Forum home Archived African/Caribbean Weddings

General Chat -- to get to know each other and other support

• GarrymcGarrymc Posts: 305
    ALSO,

i've joined the gym and aim to lock my car in the garage and hide the key!!!!
  • Uche, i know exactly what you mean! I'm a size 10-12 and h2b keeps saying i'm fine, but i do need to fit into that bl***d dress. LOL I have put on almost 10kg in the last 2 years and that is just a bit too much coz i'm only 5foot!. It would be a dream to go back to my size 8, but i'm being realistic here and just want to be a 'comfortable' 10. Most family/ friends from naija take one look at me and go "haba you are so FAT now, what are you eating in london" with a semi-sneer on their faces. and the truth is i barely eat and never eat junk food or take-aways (except for my beloved chocolate, and even that is rationed!) And i'm not even that round!!!!

Anyways, rant over....isn't that pepper-lemonade diet the one beyonce does? I hear its foul! Haven't heard of the lighter life one. Is that any less harsh? I did the cabbage soup diet for a week and ended up gaining 2kg instead of losing anything. Got another one which i'm gonna attempt which seems much healthier and balanced but it requires 5 days at the gym and i can only seem to squeeze 2 days into my manic schedule. But these 'extra tires' gatsto shift one way or another!!!
    Babe!! ditto. All my aunts keep passing comments like 'looks like this medicine you are reading is not affecting you'. My decorator saw me 5 weeks ago and was like 'oh congrats on the pregnancy'. I was like 'what the f**k?' SHE WAS STARING AT MY TUMMY!!!! I was sooo mortified. what i don't get is that i am a size 10 in most outfits so i don't get why i look 'fat' to people. I suppose being teeny, we need to not exceed 8.5/9 stone lol!!!! I too eat healthily and apart from the odd doughnut here or there i'm not bad. I DON'T EVEN EAT CHOCOLATE (SHOCK HORROR) OR BISCUITS OR CAKES AS SUCH because i am allergic to dairy so i eat/drink soya alternatives which i are not calorific. Yes, that was the beyonce diet- i am ready to endure anything otherwise i am dead. It's too late to get another dress. Lighter life is a meal-replacement diet were u drink 3 shakes a day (300 calories each) and NOTHING else apart from water or milk-less coffe/te/green tea. You live on 900 calories a day and you don't exercise because you get too weak. The satchets are only given out at special meetings where people over 15stone meet but i buy them from ebay from people who've reached their target weight.
  • nuttyenuttye Posts: 111
    Uche, I know what you mean "you don't need to lose weight, you don't..." - WHATEVER!!! I might have a look at WW and see what they have to say for themselves... I went to the gym on Tuesday with h2b - who also happens to be a fitness instructor. He made me suffer!!! Having said that though, I'd love it if he could come with me all the time - he made me push harder then I would have on my own.

He came up to me on the bike though, looked at me and said "you look really good". After looking at my sweat-drenched/armpit-stinky self, I looked at him incredulously, then he said "really - you look sexy". That perked me up a bit... Honestly, things like that make me want to eat him up then and there ;\)
  • Nuttye, I wish i had a h2b like yours!!!! mine doesn't know what the inside of a gym looks like and his tummy is growing almost as big as mine. I do get the odd sexy compliment from him when my hair is looking like a haystack and wonder if he might be going blind or something....but then i guess that's why they are marrying us, n'est pas? LOL H's excuse is that i feed him too much coz he was skinny when i met him, but i guess its coz now he's just so busy working all the time, he has no time for basketball and other things that kept him fit.

Uche, i'm gonna hunt out those lighter sachets coz i live on smoothies now anyway and i guess 2 weeks won't kill me......
  • minaminaukminaminauk Posts: 157
    Hey guys...well the verdict is in....4.5 ibs after 1 week of weight watchers and I don't think I have ever eaten so varied and well!!! Add to this a few days of walking for an hour and 1 exercise class. I left yesterday even more motivated! Although I know it won't be as high every week, I feel absolutely great, energised from all the fruit and veg and not eating so much carbs! WW all the way!!

Uche hun, the cambridge diet is exactly the same as lighter life but costs half as much because you dont have the meetings. So if you aren't bothered about the weekly meetings and can do it yourself, you can get a cambridge person in your area to come and deliver it to you. Cambridge/LL is good (I did it for 3 months last March and lost 2 and a half stone) however, it doesnt teach you anything about portion control and choosing wisely, so I put it all back on! Which is why I am now doing the slow and steady approach! Good luck everyone! Women from our culture love our food so we need all the help we can get!!! Not quite sure how I am going to do the points for pounded yam and egusi when I go to my parents' place!!! xxx
  • N1SEXYTINGN1SEXYTING Posts: 111
    hey ladies, i'm sure everyone will look fabulous on their wedding day!

gosh sat's now like a less than 48hours, although its not the actual full day as its just the registry and then lunch at his parents place i still feel a bit unprepared. like i remembered this evening (after spending the whole day in Lakeside buying a dress for my cousin) that i need a dress to change into when we're finished at the registry! plus i have not got my jewellery.

apart from that i'm feeling quite relaxed, having a facial and manicure and pedicure tomorrow so hopefully i'll be feeling even more relaxed this time tomorrow
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one having 2 weddings....and everyone said I was greedy!!

Like everyone else on this site, I too am on a diet to lose weight for my wedding in February. I had done Weight Watchers a few years ago because I had put on weight whilst at university. I was a comfortable size 10 but went up to a 12/14 by the time I left! I'm back to a 10 / 12 now and my dresses fit perfectly, but I would still like to lose about a stone to be back to my normal weight.

Unlike most, my problem is that when I go to the gym, my arms get quite "muscley". I know it's good to look toned, but I don't like my arms looking too much like I go to the gym every day!! I try and go at least 3 times a week and I enjoy it and I deliberately don't do classes or exercises that work on my arms. Any ideas to lose weight in my arms girls!!

For anyone looking to lose weight in the legs and bum area, I recommend spinning classes - working a treat for me!

PS. Percy Pigs are evil!! I love them so much - they've now come out with a limited edition packet - how could they?
  • BooWantsBabyBooWantsBaby Posts: 1,738
    I really feel the benefit from doing spinning classes, but find sitting on those bike seats sooo painful.... Is it only me :\? I look around the class and everyone else seems to be fine.

I've got to go to M&S before work this morning.... the worse thing is when they are lined up next to the till... and you feel rude not to put a packet of Percy Pigs on the belt and eat on the way home!! No doubt i won't be able to resist image
  • Good luck 2moro N1 at the registry and enjoy your day of pampering! You are one step closer to your big day....CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Tinkerbell, you're not the only one... I liked Spinning when I tried it, but it's not nice on the bum-bum! Some ideas that could help:

- cycling shorts with seamless, padded bums

- no underwear when you've got the cycling shorts on

- buy a gel sadle to put on the bike during the class

- apparently you can get female specific saddles (as our derriere differs from the male species!).

Hope that's helpful :\)
    Wow Mina, your progress sounds encouraging. I really hate the idea of dieting, have never been on a diet, and just want to change my eating patterns so my palate is varied and balanced - slow and steady sounds good to me... Is that how much weight you lost in a week?
    Good luck N1!!! Will be thinking off you and prayimg for you. xx
  • EmberukEmberuk Posts: 117
    N1, best wishes for tomorrow. Relax and enjoy the day x
    Hi N1,

Best wishes for tomorrow.xxx
  • sammyjoeuksammyjoeuk Posts: 3,596
    Good Luck N1, Enjoy every minute of it!x
  • kafagiwakafagiwa Posts: 48
    Hi guys, I'm Nigerian, my h2b is English and we are getting married on the 19th of July. The wedding is going to be in Buckinghamshire and am getting so nervous as I just want the day to be perfect!!! Also compounded with trying to lose my last 4 pounds and my first dress fitting is next week. image
  • catlover64ukcatlover64uk Posts: 1,149 New bride
    N1. Lots of luck for tomorrow. Don't forget to let us see the pix and the report when you've recovered.

God Bless xx
    Thanks Nuttye!! Glad im not alone... going to do yoga today, as my muscles are aching this week!!

H2b brought me a lovely bikini yesterday; size 8 bottoms and 16 top (big boobs!), and the fit great - so 3mths of toning up

Good luck for today N1, hope the day goes better than expected! Looking forward to seeing the pictures and report image

• welcome jaffa, oh glorious summer bride.

Hasn't think week just been fabulous?image I do hope we all get weekends like this on our special days. Sunshine and heat always put me in such a good mood. and a huge energy boost as well.

How did your registry signing go, N1?
    thanks guys, it went really well. H2b I guess he's now just H right image woke up all excited real early! anyways we just loafed about then i started fixing our daughter's hair then i jump into the bath as the make-up lady arrived at 9.30 (ceremony was at 11.10)!

she did the make-up really well, she's a friend of my mum and knows I don't do make-up so she did it quite light but i was very impressed! i'll have to post pics later as my camera wasn't working so need to get hold of my sis or someone else!

then we left and Mr.B started getting a bit anxious and i'm like calm down sweetie, i couldn't believe it as he's normally the calm cool collected one! so we get there and most of my family were there already, now you know i had to tell them the ceremony was at 10.30 right that was the only way i knew they wouldn't be lateimage

the sun was shining from the minute we came out and the ceremony went well, afterwards we went to the gardens opposite the registar office and took some pictures which looked really nice.

then we went to his parent's place and our small lunch became a bit of a gathering but it was to be expected.

I'm glad we didn't have the whole do on sat as on sun, i was back on study mode! :\(

[Modified by: ?????????????Tinkerbell-28/8/8????????????? on May 16, 2008 05:52 PM]
  • ONELOVEukONELOVEuk Posts: 141
    Quoted:
    Hey guys...well the verdict is in....4.5 ibs after 1 week of weight watchers and I don't think I have ever eaten so varied and well!!! Add to this a few days of walking for an hour and 1 exercise class. I left yesterday even more motivated! Although I know it won't be as high every week, I feel absolutely great, energised from all the fruit and veg and not eating so much carbs! WW all the way!!

Uche hun, the cambridge diet is exactly the same as lighter life but costs half as much because you dont have the meetings. So if you aren't bothered about the weekly meetings and can do it yourself, you can get a cambridge person in your area to come and deliver it to you. Cambridge/LL is good (I did it for 3 months last March and lost 2 and a half stone) however, it doesnt teach you anything about portion control and choosing wisely, so I put it all back on! Which is why I am now doing the slow and steady approach! Good luck everyone! Women from our culture love our food so we need all the help we can get!!! Not quite sure how I am going to do the points for pounded yam and egusi when I go to my parents' place!!! xxx

Just out of interest, just how much is it costing you to be on the CD. I've heard that LL is extremly expensive! Thanks!

Hey OneLove. I am not on CD now doing weight watchers. But it is literally half the price of LL! Approx £66 for 2 weeks worth of shakes, bars and soups. You don't get the weekly meetings though.

Check out this website for more info.

http://www.cambridge-diet.com/index.html

• jules-rulesjules-rules Posts: 7,025 New bride
    Hellooo.. bit slow to see this .

Im white british , h2b is west indian , he comes from Nevis, beautiful island .

We have a three yr old, Taeja who is our flower girl . we get married in Bedford june 28th ,not long now .

Am busy doing martial arts to keep fit , and have recently had botox !!!!!

So ,,,,, hi all jules xx
    Quoted:
    Hey OneLove. I am not on CD now doing weight watchers. But it is literally half the price of LL! Approx £66 for 2 weeks worth of shakes, bars and soups. You don't get the weekly meetings though.

Check out this website for more info.

http://www.cambridge-diet.com/index.html

Hey, thanks Hun! I'm actually on WW, so may just stick to that as it's less restrictive. Just need to motivate my self in the gym more but my bad back limits me so much.:\( And £66 can be best spent on wedding stuff lol!
    I know, I have never eaten so well on WW! And being frightened of someone weighing me every week and putting on keeps me in check! Had second weigh in today 1.5 ibs...which is okay and apparently roughly what you are meant to do each week. Go for it with the exercise hun...I may have lost 6ibs in the last two weeks but its the exercise that is already making me feel tighter all over and also invigorated! Let me know how you are getting on with WW. How long you been doing it? xx
    hope everyone's doing well, it feels like i'm now re-planning my wedding all over again. The big things are taken care of so now need to focus on the little things

- Order of service! i need help, what comes before what! mainly for the reception meal which is from 6pm

- Table number/name holder, where can i get at least 24 at decent prices?

Gosh there were something else but can't remember.

Oh yes, ladies can i ask for honest opinions, i'm not a flowers person and for my table decorations i was thinking of having centre mirrors with these on them

but instead of the flowers i was thinking of putting sweets weathers original or divine mini chocolates which would be cheaper and at least would be useful for the guests rather than some flowers that are just going to wither and die! right!?!?!
    Quoted:
    I know, I have never eaten so well on WW! And being frightened of someone weighing me every week and putting on keeps me in check! Had second weigh in today 1.5 ibs...which is okay and apparently roughly what you are meant to do each week. Go for it with the exercise hun...I may have lost 6ibs in the last two weeks but its the exercise that is already making me feel tighter all over and also invigorated! Let me know how you are getting on with WW. How long you been doing it? xx

Been on WW for about a month now, I like that I can still eat 'normal' food and not live entirely on shakes and bars. Portion size is my main problem.......I just love me some rice, rice, and more rice, so am trying to limit how much I have but it's difficult. I'm cutting out as much wheat as I can too as it seems to make me feel heavy and puffy (if that makes sense!!). And to top it all, I'm perimenopausal - the weight increase, thickening waist line,:\( heavy fuller breasts :\) round(er) hips image just came over night (or so it seems).

Sticking to the gym though - I have too! I can feel the tightening effect - :\)
  • Hi N1, Here is an itinerary plan for a Reception:

TIME TASK

5.00pm Guests arrive - Drinks Reception

5.30pm Bride, Groom and Bridal Party are introduced

5.40pm Best Man's or Father's toast

5.50pm Response of the Groom

6.00pm Dinner begins

6.30pm Speeches (during Dessert)

7.00pm Cake Cutting

7.15pm First Dance

7.30pm PARTY!!!

12.00am Last Dance

12.30pm Departure of the couple / limousine pick-up

(you could either have the bouquet toss after the first dance or just before you leave)

re: Table Number Holders. I got mine on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-X-name-place-settings-menu-holders-table-numbers_W0QQitemZ380027144235QQihZ025QQcategoryZ98740QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They worked our at about 70p each and are more stable than the tall silver ones with a ball

re: Centrepieces. The fishbowls are quite nice but try and get a smaller size otherwise you'll spend a fourtune on candy!