Guest at Sikh Wedding - advice needed please

Hi,

One of my closest friends from my childhood is getting married in November and is having a traditional Sikh wedding. I am so excited for her and she has asked me to attend the full ceremony and party afterwards. I have never been to anything like this before and wondered if anyone could advise on the etiquette of the day. Are there any colours I should avoid wearing (I think the bride wears red) and are there rules in the temple for what women should have covered up - arms, shoulders, legs??

Also any other helpful tips for what to expect on the day. I'm so pleased for her and know she's going to look stunning but she's a bit stressed with last minute wedding preperations at the moment so didn't think bothering her with my outfit question would be a good idea.

Thank you so much x

• thats sooo sweet of you to think about your friend!

With what i know from friends, in Sikh weddings, you definitely need a head-scarf. Your head must be covered at all times in the gurudwara (for women i think legs and shoulders should also be covered but i'm not entirely sure). You can wear something with half or qtr sleeves - though not sure about sleevless tops. Mostly people wear Indian Salwar-suits in colours (except white and black - both arent considered good). But something in deep greens, blues, baby pinks - would be ideal and bet you'd look gorgeous in it. Whatever you wear, carrying a colourful pashmina will solve everything with covering head, arms, shoulders - you can just drape it around you image

Have you tried asking your friend's mum or any of her cousins who maybe able to advise you?

oh forgot to mention, you'll be sitting down in the gurudwara, so do wear something comfy

[Modified by: BumbleB on September 26, 2008 10:45 AM]

• Hi Evie

For the ceremony in the Gurdwara (temple) I would advise that you wear a long skirt or trousers and a top that is not sleeveless. Most Indian women wear what is known as a Salwar Kameez which is a long top and trousers. You also need to ensure your head is convered so bring a head scarf or shawl which you can drape over yourself and cover your head with. Wear something loose and comfy as you will be sitting in the floor.

For the party afterwards you can keep on whatever you are wearing or change if you wish - again Asian tradition suggests that you should keep your arms and legs covered but you can remove the headscarf. Indian women either keep on thier Salwar Kameez or change into a sari or Lengha (top and long skirt)

hope this helps x
  • Thank you so much BumbleB, that's great advice. I will definately get a pashmina. I'm so excited and feel so honored to be included in the ceremony, I just didn't want to unintentionally offend her parents by turning up in something wrong! I love the idea of bright colours - and it's a great excuse to go shopping!
  • Hi Little Evie,

As the others said you need to cover your head and remove your shoes when you get into the Gudwara. There is usually a Milni (spelling?) in the foyer before the wedding where the families officially meet, then a cup of tea. Men and Women sit on the floor on seperate sides in the main ceremony room.

As a guest you won't need to do anything other than watch, which is useful as there's a lot to take in. Don't be suprised if people seem to be walking in and out and chatting through the ceremony though. That often happens.

Are you going on your own or with other friends? If your friend isn't too stressed you could ask her if she'd mind taking you to the Gudwarah before the day so you can see where things are and where to go.

Good luck with it.
  • i am a sikh bride but all the above advice seems to apply!

I wouldn't mind at all if any of my non-sikh friends asked for advice though, i accept it is out of the norm attending such a function.

There are some beautiful outfits that you can weat that'd be suitable, i really would suggest borrowing or buying one with an indian friend...remember to have FUN!