Chinese 10 course banquet - any ideas

I am marrying someone who is born in the UK but singaporian in origin! We would like to have a chinese 10 course banquet but having difficulty finding someone to do the catering! I know normally you have the banquet in a chinese restaurant but we would like to have our reception else where - probable in wiltshire! be very grateful if anyone has any experiences or ideas?

Thank you

• judyyujudyyu Posts: 7
    Hi hatstave! I'm having similar problems with finding a chinese caterer. I know your message was posted a while back and wondered if you did find a caterer in the end?

Thanks!
  • truonguktruonguk Posts: 17
    You can try Leigh House Restuarant

http://www.leigh-house.co.uk/

or The Lotus Food Company

http://www.thelotusfoodcompany.com/

Well I think on a budget you could also try

http://www.wok-n-roll.co.uk/

Hi Truong,

Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely look into them. I have a wedding planner and even she had problems finding a caterer, she did approach Royal China however they have been a bit rubbish coming back to her... doesn't sound promising so I thought I would take the matter into my own hands!

If anyone else has suggestions I would be most grateful.

Ta!

Judy
    Mrs Panda Bear

We also wanted to have chinese caterers so that we would not be so tied down in terms of where we could have our evening meal but having looked into it - external chinese caterers just cost way more so we have gone back to having a banquest at a traditional chinese restuarant close by
    Eeeek thats disappointing... i really love the variety of food in a chinese banquet as i have been to so many weddings lately and the food is just a boring 3 course meal. I have my heart set on a big Chinese banquet as me and my other half are obsessed with food! You're right about the prices, Leigh House was saying average £90 per head and the menu looks lame!

So where are you having your wedding now?

Judy
    At a place called Yi-Ban which is in East London by the city airport
  • Hey there, I know it's been a while back since the last posting but I was in the same dilema and have ended up choosing a chinese restaurant instead.

We're going for China Boulevard as it can cater for entertainment after the banquet and the food does taste nice. Showtunesgirl had her there and recommended it, I think posted some picture links on one of the other threads ... can't remember what it's called I think it was the BBC thread.

Another place I can think of is China Palace (used to be called Superstar) near the Exel Centre.

Hope that helps.
  • hi Hatstave - I don't know any chinese food places, but thought I'd say hi because I'm from Singapore too! When is your wedding? Mine is 28th Sep, getting excited now! If you will like to char, email me at [email protected]! All the best for your preparations!
  • Hi, you will be very hard pressed to get a Traditional Chinese banquet outside of a Chinese restaurant. Believe me, we looked!

However, we had ours at China Boulevard and OMG, the food was just out of this world. My parents were so impressed and my mother said it was the best banquet she'd ever had. And yes indeed, they have a music license so you can do whatever you like. They were more than helpful with us and we had a swing band made up of the guests and my husband and I performed too.

Here are the pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157606038894369/show/ There are a lot of China Boulevard at the end of the set.

Superstar has changed hands now so I can't comment on the current food and management but it was very salty the few times I've eaten there. My sis lives just around the corner from that restaurant.

• Quoted:
    Hi, you will be very hard pressed to get a Traditional Chinese banquet outside of a Chinese restaurant. Believe me, we looked!

However, we had ours at China Boulevard and OMG, the food was just out of this world. My parents were so impressed and my mother said it was the best banquet she'd ever had. And yes indeed, they have a music license so you can do whatever you like. They were more than helpful with us and we had a swing band made up of the guests and my husband and I performed too.

Here are the pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157606038894369/show/ There are a lot of China Boulevard at the end of the set.

Superstar has changed hands now so I can't comment on the current food and management but it was very salty the few times I've eaten there. My sis lives just around the corner from that restaurant.

Hi Showtunesgirl,

We are looking to get married next Sept and we really like China Boulevard, your pictures are amazing. Would you recommend it? Your 'qwan kha' is that the one thats included in the package? How many people did you have? And how did the drinks work out for you?

Sorry so many questions, just want to find some first hand experience.

Thanks,

Helen x
  • Hi, no worries. Ask away!

We didn't get married at China Boulevard because we had already booked the Pump House Gallery which is down the road.

I would highly recommend China Boulevard as the staff were very helpful, the food was lovely and they were very willing to help us out with things.

We had the £388 a table menu but do bear in mind that we got lucky with this as food prices have gone up so you might have to go one tier price up to get the really good food. But I would guess this would be the same for a lot of places. They were very kind and honored the menu that we had signed up for.

Our original wedding co-ordinator went back to China very suddenly and with one week to go, Michelle stepped in. Michelle is very organised, able and quick to get back to you about any queries and you can call her at any time.

For the banquet we had 100 people and then we had another 30 or so for the evening and we had a buffet for them as well which was about £12 a head and totally amazing as well. Unfortunately, I was way too full to eat any of it. image

The drinks worked out very well. They gave us 20% off the drinks prices but you DO have to pay service so it works out as about 10% off but every little helps. We had originally pre-ordered a lot of beer, but no-one drank it so they told us and we put the money on wine for us. They kept us informed every step of the way on the day and were very polite indeed.

My sister's boyfriend works for Time Out and he said to the management that they deserved to do well.

They are now very popular indeed for weddings and the week before us, they had FOUR weddings in one week! image

Also there are three kwas that you can choose from. All slightly different sizes but two of the skirts are drawstring closure anyway so will fit different sizes. I chose the silver one as I didn't want a very gold kwa to go with my tiara.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi showtunesgirl, spoke to you a while back!

I've already booked the restaurant for my reception.

Did you get your wedding cake through them too? cos the wedding package included a wedding cake.
  • Hi,

Many thanks for this, cant believe how expensive chinese weddings are image We're paying for it all.
  • suk to, I've emailed you again about cakes.

Yes they do do a free cake for you within reason!

And Helen, doh, I didn't read your user name correctly. You are going to be a Yip? Welcome to the family. I'm an Ip too!
  • Hehe yes going to be a Yip, some of his family are calling me Mrs Yip already LOL Whats the difference between Ip and Yip, just spelt differently? Its the same in chinese right.....