Forum home Archived Best buys

Guest book alternatives

Hey, we were hoping to do a guest book with photos from our engagement shoot provided by our photographer but that's looking rediculously expensive. I know that a couple of people have mentioned doing polaroid guest books. Looking for any other interesting options. We both know that if we get a traditioal guest book we'll have the first 2 pages full (only about 55 people at the wedding) and we'll never look at it again!

Help!

• orchid28ukorchid28uk Posts: 401
    How about setting up a video recorder and having your guests leave you video messages. A dvd is easy to store as well.
  • cheekiestukcheekiestuk Posts: 151
    I was thinking of doing a message box. Have a pile of nice cards and little envelopes, and the guests can write a note to the couple and pop it in the box. You can then create a scrap book of the notes, with pictures from the engagement and wedding day etc. Even include pics from any cameras you leave on the tables (if u having those)

I like the idea of the video messages, we did it for friends wedding, but ended up spending most of the evening asking people to say a message so we didn't enjoy the party as much. If u have an outsider to do it, or a DIY one would be better, just from our past experience though.
  • mrsmcandiemrsmcandie Posts: 39
    If you look at bob books website you can get similar books to the ones photographers do but much cheaper with your choice of photos. No experience using them but the website looks good!

Hope that helps!

• xxMrsTxxxxMrsTxx Posts: 467
    what about one of those tree things where they write a little message and then hang it up. or a large frame (normal size pic of you and h2b) and then guests write around the image, my dad does this for weddings (photographer) and its really successful, they always come back covered in messages and you just put any pic of you and h2b in the middle and then hang it on the wall image

xox
  • oldbird42oldbird42 Posts: 515
    Hi try www.cewe-photobook.co.uk. I've not used them yet but their prices start at £5.99.

I got their details from on this site somewhere
  • loopysooloopysoo Posts: 157
    Hi,

I once went to a wedding where the couple had a photo of themselves in a large frame with a large white border around the edge set up on an easle. The idea was for the guests to write their messages on the white border around the photo - I guess afterwards if you like then you could always replace the photo with a wedding one. That way you could hang the picture up afterwards with everyones comments, and always see them - and it would probably be a bit of a talking point in the house too!

Suzi
  • dennerukdenneruk Posts: 248
    We are getting a picture frame mount in navy blue to match the colour scheme on a pedestal then having silver pens nect to it for people to write messages on. Then we will have a picture from the day framed into it - probably a large group shot
  • brighkbrighk Posts: 58
    Hi,

We went to wedding where people signed their name or wrote a short line on a plate that could be baked later and put on diplay or used. we like the idea of using a teapot instead, then when you make a big pot of tea, if you've got guests round it will be a talking point.

It's something different as guests books are likely to get forgotten about.

• LucypageLucypage Posts: 406
    Hi we are having one of our engagement photos blown up with a wide margin and having guests sighning that x
  • delightfulukdelightfuluk Posts: 737
    Quoted:
    Hi,

I once went to a wedding where the couple had a photo of themselves in a large frame with a large white border around the edge set up on an easle. The idea was for the guests to write their messages on the white border around the photo - I guess afterwards if you like then you could always replace the photo with a wedding one. That way you could hang the picture up afterwards with everyones comments, and always see them - and it would probably be a bit of a talking point in the house too!

Suzi

What a great idea!
  • mrsmnash2bmrsmnash2b Posts: 54
    hi, oldbird (sorry that seems so rude!) I cant get the link to work. Am i being exceptionally thick?
  • waterlillyukwaterlillyuk Posts: 469
    Thanks ladies. Lots of great ideas. Think we're going to go with the messages on pieces of paper probably being put into a box and then I can do a guest book up with photos of the guests from the wedding. H2B and I are aware that anything frames we're terrible at actually putting up and then get bored of way too quickly. Love the idea though.
  • welovepandaswelovepandas Posts: 257
    www.cewe-photobook.co.uk

try that, it just needed the full stop taking off image
  • I used cewe ....they were fantastic.....I got their info from YAYW..

I downloaded their software and then cut and pasted my wedding photos onto it...like a storybook style....I ordered 3 copies (one for me and each mum) and they arrived 4 days later....

I loved it so much, I cancelled my official album and saved myself £200.....

xxxxx
  • clarissacakeclarissacake Posts: 368
    What about using a blank canvas and a marker pen? or a big piece of card with your picture in the middle. Love the idea of having something that can be displayed rather than just put away in a cupboard for years on end.

C Xx
  • Leah101ukLeah101uk Posts: 259
    Hi Cheekiest...

Really like your idea.. where do you think ill be able to get little cards.. and envelopes??

Have an autumn theme.. so would love to have little leaves, or cards in envelopes...
  • We bought guest cards that tie together with a ribbon and go in a lovely box.

So we'll leave one card on each table then at the end of the meal the Master of Ceremonies will collect them and return them to the box. This will allow time for each guest to write something without being rushed, that's what usually happens when a book is passed around.

MrsStarkins2b x
    Would love it if people posted photos of what they wind up doing eventually! This site can be so helpful but it's nice for people to see the ideas in action.
  • jadebriggsjadebriggs Posts: 16
    Hi

One idea which i loved, i believe Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey did this at their wedding was for each guest to sign a chair - 2 chairs in total which the bride and groom sit at the head table on. After they are signed they are covered in a protective material and then used everyday in their house.

Just an idea.

My friend had a huge white board with a card in the middle with their names and date etc.. of wedding mounted in the wedding colours and this hangs in their dining room ! Its lovely!

• Cardiff_msCardiff_ms Posts: 251
    ooohhh... i love the frame idea - def going for that! where on earth would i be without this web site!! thank girls for providing such inspiration!!!
  • Foxy_RedFoxy_Red Posts: 214
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Hi,

Suzi

What a great idea!

We're going to do this idea- I think it's great as you can always see all the messages then image

They are normally expensive, but I've had a quote from the local art frame shop, who said they will do any colour board, cut whatever size frame in the middle (say, 5 x 7 or something perhaps a little bigger) and will cost about £12 for an A2 size iirc. Not bad. Then all we need to do is find a frame we likeimage
  • jadebriggsjadebriggs Posts: 16
    and you could always put the frame on your wedding list!!! x
  • acjjoeyacjjoey Posts: 66
    I bought a frame from confetti, it was a bargain I thought and looks really nice. Just hope everybody signs it!!!

http://www.confetti.co.uk/product/view/67735-0-0-silver_signing_frame.do?a26=f715&a39=f1080
  • UmfriendUmfriend Posts: 307
    My W2B is Greek Cypriot and at their weddings, a ribbon is passed around and signed by those attending. Afterwards, the ribbon can be rolled up and stored really easily. Mind you, we're thinking of taking it a step further: I'm thinking of making an aisle runner for us and having some fabric pens so that after the ceremony the guests can sign the runner and this can be stored in a box for posterity!
    I love the ribbon idea! It's less display oriented than some of the ideas but then I read a wedding report where some one's cousin annoyingly put "Happy Birthday" on their guest signed frame and she's stuck with that on there for all time!
  • Hi

I've been looking at some guest books (was one of the things I ordered from KarensCards but that's another story!!!!! aaarrrrggghhhh) anyway I think I will go with Bernie's mini guestbooks that are co-ordinated to your theme and you have one on each table. Each book has about 10 pages in it and at the end of the day you can collect all your little books (which everyone will have had loads of time to put some funny, cute, rude!!!! messages) and keep them all together in your keepsake box (KarensCards again arrrggghhhh). Bernie has been great so I think I will stick with her x
    What's the address for these mini guestbooks?? Sounds like a fun idea.
  • Hi waterlilly

Bernie is on Ebay and her shop is called Your Day Your Way By Bernie (I found her after my Karenscards fiasco and actually she was mentioned on here so many times she has to worth a go! - she's been a godsend!)

Anyway I'm not sure how to post the link to her shop but if you go directly to her website (under construction) www.yourdayyourwaybybernie.co.uk she has a direct quick link to her ebay shop there. My books are glittery diamante with chocolate brown organza image
  • Forgot to say they are only £2.75 each!
    I decided what I'm doing so I thought I would pass it on. We decided to have little cards with envelopes for the guests to write, draw etc on. I looked around a few shops and decided I wanted black and white but couldn't figure out what to get.

Then I had a brief (and rare) flash of inspiration. Our tables are named after places that are important to us. So I went onto one of the photo websites and made note cards with some of my photos from each of the places. They come in packs of 12 so I have 12 with a photo from where we got engaged etc. The site I used is north american but I'm sure most of the photo sites have card making options.