Forum home Archived Best buys

NEED YOUR HELP!! BRIDAL SHOP GONE INTO LIQUIDATION!!

Leah101ukLeah101uk Posts: 259
GIRLS.

Im a complete mess.. have woken up this morning to find that the Bridal shop i have ordered my dress and mens suits from has gone into liquidation,, and just GONE!

Have managed to get hold of Sophia Tolli Website.. who have said my dress is still on order.. but hasnt been paid for... IM DEVESTATED... MY DAD PAID CASH IN THE SHOP... so theyve pocketed it!! EVIL..

We also ordered our suits and paid in full... so have lost that too..

Im soo soo devestated.....image

JUST IN CASE BRIDES HAVENT HEARD.. ITS AVELLA BRIDAL IN LYNDHURST... NEW FOREST

[Modified by: LeahAutumn on 25 June 2008 11:09:12 ]

• Wanna-bumpWanna-bump Posts: 1,546
    Oh Hun, that is awful awful news image When is your wedding day? I would get in touch with your local citizens advie bureau to see what rights you have as it sounds like you have lost a lot of money. I can't imagine the stress this will cause and hope you manage to sort alternatives soon.
  • Ellie0608Ellie0608 Posts: 223
    That's awful. I really do empathise with you. Stupid question under the circumstances but how long before your wedding and were you insured? You may be able to claim back some of the financial loss and replace things in time for the wedding but as we all know it will in no way, shape or form compensate you for the emotional turmoil you must be going through. You may also wish to know that it has made BBC news. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7472135.stm

Now that it is in the public domain, it may shame the owner out of hiding! I hope and pray you manage to get everything sorted (and quickly). Sending hugs. X
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 205
    Oh my god your poor thing! How could they be so evil!!!

Fingers crossed they will get caught somehow.

When is the wedding? x
  • pr1ncess_mummypr1ncess_mummy Posts: 1,676
    I read on a thread in Emotional Support that some people found out where the owner lived and went round - got the dogs set on them by her hubby and one of the FOB's got a dog in the car and said they'd only get it back when his daughter got her dress!!

This is truely awful - does it make a difference if you had insurance? I really hope that all the B2B's get this sorted!

Fingers crossed

-x-x-
  • TriTreadTriTread Posts: 313
    Hi LeahAutumn - I'm in the same boat. Ordered by dress from Arvella in Jan - paid up front (luckily on credit card). Now I have no dress. I've emailed Paloma Blanca the designer to see if it was even ordered. She might be able to send it directly to me. I've also got wedding insurance so that should cover most of it.

I'm gutted though - I don't know whether to try and find another PB dress or go for completely different one altogether.
  • EmmaPieukEmmaPieuk Posts: 452
    Hi hun, I could not read and run as exactly the same thing happened to me and a few other brides on here when Veritas Brides in Preston went bust! I was one of the lucky ones in that my dress had already arrived and she rang me and told me to come and collect it immedioately or the bailiffs would seize it!

In relation to your situation, I really hope that you ahve got insurance. If you ahd paid on credit card you would be covered but by cash you have got a bigger problem. You will definitely be able to claim under your wedding insurance though! I knwo ti is a pain but hopefully you will be able to get all the money back either through your insurance or from the Manufacturers if any money was ever paid over and then you can order the dress again - perhaps the Manufacturers will be able to do you a rush job for no extra charge! The main thing is try not to panic and get in touch with your insurance company if you have any - if not try contacting your local paper who may be able help! Good luck x
  • LollyxxukLollyxxuk Posts: 1,455
    You poor porr thing... Hope you manage to get things sorted x

I wish i had paid by credit card for mine now!!!

• Leah101ukLeah101uk Posts: 259
    Thanks girls for your support... Weddings not til October.. so i could be in a much much worst position with having NO wedding dress for my big day... but its still so so bad as gotta pay again... ive calmed down but just cant believe it!!
  • sh0rtyuksh0rtyuk Posts: 1,379
    Hiya,

Im so sorry, how awful. If you read the link I have posted below (of which I got from general chat, someone had started a thread about it) it tell you how to get your dress from the desginer. They are urging people to contact them if you have paid anything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7472135.stm

Hope it helps.x
  • Mrs-McG-2bMrs-McG-2b Posts: 471
    thats terrible, i cant imagine how youre feeling i hope you get sorted
  • ProudMummy1ProudMummy1 Posts: 215
    Hi, that's awful news. I'm having the same problem myself!! Chose my dress a couple of months ago and was due for a re-fit in a few weeks but got a letter from the shop yesterday to say they're closing and that because my dress is in stock i can pick it up! In other words, if it wasn't in stock i'd have no chance! I paid a 50% deposit too! I'm going to pick my dress up tomorrow then worry about getting the alterations done later.

Oh, the shop is a nationwide store starting with the letters Pro......

Kelly xx
    I can't believe how many shops seem to be in trouble.

I contacted Paloma Blanca yesterday and considering I ordered my dress in January - they never placed the order with the designer - so I've got nothing. I'm tempted to sit outside Arvella and see if my veil comes traipsing out.

I've sent off my insurance claim form so I hope it all goes through.
  • ProudMummy1ProudMummy1 Posts: 215
    Yes, i've heard a few horror stories lately. I wonder why it's happening? I can't see the internet taking over a shop as the place to buy your dress from though as we all like to try them on first to see how we feel in THE dress.

Apparently my bridal shop was in the News yesterday as they're closing all stores down right across the UK!! Can't believe it.
    TriTreadwell - i emailed Paloma about mine and they havent replied! did you phone them???? I ordered mine in Jan (from a different shop - but it hasnt arrived yet... its been 22 weeks and was meant to be 12!)
  • Leah101ukLeah101uk Posts: 259
    NEED ADVICE.. IF IT HASNT OFFICALLY GONE INTO LIQUIDATION.. CAN I GET INSURANCE (QUICK) AND CLAIM BACK?
  • Nic5228Nic5228 Posts: 20
    Hi thinking of all you girls who have been left in a awful situation by Arvella Bridal...am afraid I can't offer any advice about wedding issue. Not sure if any of you are aware or if this is much help... I bought my dress from their sister store in Bradford on Avon last year. At the time it was then called the Wedding Outlet but they later changed their name to Arvella Bridal earlier this year and it was owned by Lisa. Don't know if this is any help but there number is 01225 862 615...they still appeared to be open the other day when I passed the store x Thinking of you all hope the designers pull through for you
  • mrsj2008mrsj2008 Posts: 763
    Don;t know where in the country you are but a local charity shop in southport has had lots of wedding dresses donated and the press seem to think it's from a dress shop that has gone bust.

They are going to hold an open weekened next week to sell them. Have a google on-line, local papers are The Champion or Visitor.

Other than that, I was in TK Maxx and they had some beautiful prom dresses which would look just as stunning as bridal dresses. When is your wedding?
    Don;t know where in the country you are but a local charity shop in southport has had lots of wedding dresses donated and the press seem to think it's from a dress shop that has gone bust.

They are going to hold an open weekened next week to sell them. Have a google on-line, local papers are The Champion or Visitor.

Other than that, I was in TK Maxx and they had some beautiful prom dresses which would look just as stunning as bridal dresses. When is your wedding?
    Other than what I have suggested you could borrow a dress from a bride! Offer to pay for it to be cleaned and for any damages, etc. List you height and sizes xxxx
  • ShoeaholicukShoeaholicuk Posts: 376
    Sorry to completely gatecrash your topic, you all must be devastated and outraged. Hope you all get a complete refund and compensation if not your dresses.

Mrs J 2008 which shop in southport as I live right near and still need BM dresses on a budget, haven't heard anything about this before now.

LollyX - yes I called them. I haven't got the number to hand but try emailing again - they got back to me within 24hrs.

LeahAutumn - you won't be able to claim on insurance that you've bought after the failure of supplier. However I have found out they've appointed Nick Peat from UK Bankruptcy Ltd to sort out liquidation. Go to your credit card company with that and they might be able to start the process.

On a postive side - I went back out dress shopping today and ordered another dress. It was a very strange experience - I've gone for a similar dress but slighly more feminine. It's a San Patrick by Pronovias
    I don't know which shop it is. I was in the post office today and saw the visitor and though omg, when and where but i'm getting married the weekend it was on so stopped reading x
    I did email them TriTreadwell buthad no reply.. but could be the spamfilter...i cant find thier phone number image

LeahAutumn - found the number it's Canada so you'll need to put 001 in front (416) 235-0585