Forum home Archived Best buys

Supermarket individual/mini cakes ideas!

Hi All,

Just been browing some online grocery websites for inspiration for individual cake ideas instead of a wedding cake! h2b's brother offered to make the cake but I think it's going to be too much asking him to do 3 cakes in one week (we don't want all fruit cake so will have to be left for the last minute). I would make them but don't think I'll have time and my baking skills aren't great!

This is what I have come up with so far!

Tesco:

6 mini sponge cakes with Jam/buttercream filling £1

6 Thorntons Mini Toffee cakes £1.89

6 Thorntons mini chocolate cakes £1.89

4 Butterfield Chocolate Swirly Cupcakes £0.99

4 Butterfield Lemon Swirly Cupcakes £0.99

6 Mr Kipling Mini Classics Victoria £1.79

Sainsburys

6 Sainsbury's Carrot Small Cake , Taste The Difference £1.69

6 Mr Kipling Carrot & Walnut Mini Classics £1.69

6 Sainsbury's Butterfly Buns £1.19

Asda

4 ASDA Cup cakes - swirly chocolate £1

12 Chocolate Fairy Cakes £0.93

12 Plain Fairycakes £0.93

12 Iced Fairycakes £1.15

6 Lyons Chocolate Cupcakes £1.08

6 Lyons Lemon Cupcakes £1.08

6 Memory Lane Mini chocolate cakes £1

6 Memory Lane Mini Victoria cakes £1

12 Smartprice Fairycakes £0.46

I can't decide between having different mini cakes on each layer so people have a choice, or all the same! We'd then have a "normal" fruit cake on top to cut.

If anyone finds anymore please add them to this list! I'm going to copy this thread into General Chat and Wedding Budget too.

Kay x

• absaabsa Posts: 144
    I think it depends on the style of your wedding and your ideas for it. I think it'd be lovely and very friendly to have different cakes on each layer on a lovely cakestand, but if everything else in your wedding is perfectly co-ordinated this may look a little odd!
  • my sainsburys has instore bakery where they make large cupcake with frosting on the top at 75p each but on buy 2 get one free so 150 cakes for £75 i have seen similar cakes on wedding cake site for £3.50 each
  • What a brilliant idea. Had my heart set on a M&S Birthday cake (the one that looks like parcels stacked up) and obviously with the writing changed to wedding. That would have been £ 40.00 which I thought was a bargain! However yours works out much cheaper. Only one problem, where do I get a 3-tier stand from for the cupcakes and how much would it cost? Any ideas?
  • Quoted:
    What a brilliant idea. Had my heart set on a M&S Birthday cake (the one that looks like parcels stacked up) and obviously with the writing changed to wedding. That would have been £ 40.00 which I thought was a bargain! However yours works out much cheaper. Only one problem, where do I get a 3-tier stand from for the cupcakes and how much would it cost? Any ideas?

ebay have fantasic new and second hand ones costing £10-£30!

bargains
  • Hi i seen this post the other day and then remembered i had had some from lidl cupcakes chocolate ones i have not tried but i love the lemon and white chocolate you get a 4 pack for 99p yummy yummy!! They taste amazing!!! x
  • My friend had mr kipling french fancys they look great! but depends on your style/colour of wedding.xx
  • great idea! i like the idea of having loads of different cakes all piled onto a cake stand - but it depends what style you're going for. x
  • mercedesuk1mercedesuk1 Posts: 2,814
    I got my stand from ebay its sevens tiers but I will only use about 3, either going to have a massive french fancy on top then loads of fancies underneath, or a tesco sponge with a picture of our wedding printed on it again with fancies underneath, also going to get a tesco wedding cake in fruit to have cut up for fruit cake lovers,should be able to get all this for under £50 My stand was £36 from ebay
  • Girls I was shopping in Costco yesterday and they do 20 cupcakes for £11.99! There are big cupcakes and come already iced (mixtue of white and chocolate) and the taste great. Thinking of having them for 2 layers of my cake image
  • Hiya, aldi to 4 chocolate swirl cupcakes for 99p...we are getting these for our wedding cake, ...buying a cake stand off e-bay and buying 2 boxes of these cakes (£40 for 160 cupcakes).im just going to put our aqua colour ribbon round them,,,,,bargain....
  • kat83xkat83x Posts: 18
    hello all,

Im gonna have cupcake stands on each of the tables at the reception instead of flowers (think it will be cheaper), My mother in law to be has bought cardboard cakestands (about a fiver each) and has spray painted them pink (to match my theme) and they look great. I have about 150 guests and was planning to bake the cupcakes myself (1 each per guest), but i may actually buy them now so thanks xx