Forum home Archived Best buys

My God

LYNNIukLYNNIuk Posts: 1,046
I've just looked into buying wedding invitations, having got the materials to make ours this afternoon.... one site nearly £800 for 90 invites, menus, reply cards, thank you's, place cards for handmade cards that I and a couple of friends could make ourselves!!

I'm feeling pretty bloody pleased with myself that I've just picked up 150 cards for invites and menus, 100 envelopes, 100 card and envelope for replys, peel off stickers, 2 sheets fancy pearl card and 2 sheets mulberry paper

FOR £62!!!!!!! Thats our biggest bargain buy yet

• Oh my God!!! Where did you get those materials from? What a bargain!!! I need to get some thing like that, as me and my bridesmaids are making mine!!
  • LYNNIukLYNNIuk Posts: 1,046
    Quoted:
    Oh my God!!! Where did you get those materials from? What a bargain!!! I need to get some thing like that, as me and my bridesmaids are making mine!!

Go to www.hobbiesandcrafts-iom.co.uk they are based in the Isle of Man but thats where Iam, they are only a small shop also. I just went in and said I wanted to make my own stationery, what could they do to help. Also stated I thought their packs of card in 10's were too expensive for me and the amount I needed, they were very obliging and offered to buy in bulk for me from their trader. Am going to see my parents at easter, so will be making a trip to the Papermill for paper inserts, have you tried there?
  • cheryl654cheryl654 Posts: 366
    Now we all know to go into the wedding invite business to make our first million! I got a friend to hand make mine with crystals on and they are lovely. She did them for about £40 for 80.
  • sciallensciallen Posts: 246
    Actually (sparkle triplet) funny you should say that, I am seriously thinking about doing just that!!!!! I love doing creative stuff like that, I would be in my element (bit fed up with my job at mo and could easily combine the two). It would be like a hobby that i would get paid for - how cool is that!!!!! Although i'm not sure i would know where exactly to start (equipment, supplies, advertising etc.....)???????? I am going to make our wedding invitations though, for sure!!!!!! x ximage
  • natgriffithsnatgriffiths Posts: 367
    Same here. I've started to make my own invitations etc...since doing this, I haven't bought a single birthday/new baby/mothers day etc. card yet this year cos I've had to make them all! Then this has led on to making my own tiara.....and making jewellery (not necessarily for wedding - but I'll give it a go). I just love having a 'Blue Peter' evening in front of the telly sticking stuff and making stuff! I too have also considered setting up a small wedding business (once I've got my own out of the way!). And it is so satisfying when you've made them yourself for a fraction of the price - more budget to spend elsewhere - like shoes!
  • blossom25blossom25 Posts: 3,070
    I wasn't going to make them even thogh I make cards etc as I was worried they wouldn't be as good but having looked at the cost of someone to make them for you I am sure I could do just as good a job for a quarter of the price. One othe thing, I went to a wedding last week and NOONE took their orders of service home. My h2b was the best man so we've ended up with them! Waste of money so we'll definately make those ourselves. xx
  • sjn82sjn82 Posts: 55
    We looked at several different companies before making our decision. There are definately a lot of rip-offs out there. We settled on some lovely invitations from www.brideandgroomdirect.co.uk and only paid £180 for day invitations, evening invitations, reply cards and place name cards. When we sent them out everyone was telling us how posh they were as well!!!