Jasper Fforde

Anyone a fan?

• NifferyNiffery Posts: 7,908
    Yes me! Only just started though, recommended by a friend.
  • sczezowssczezows Posts: 117
    I've read all of them! I can't wait til the next one. I got H2B to read them too and now he's hooked. Although from discussing the books, we found that we both noticed little jokes, various play on words, references to other books, etc which makes them more interesting the second time round!
    I bet! I have only read the Eyre Affair so far but it was hilarious! Do you like Terry Pratchett? My friend recommended Jasper Fford as she read a Terry Pratchett book of mine, and figured they were a similar sense of humour.
    No, I haven't, but Amazon keep recommending his books to me! Which one would be best to start with?
    I would personally start off with something quite recent, Going Postal, and Making Money were both very good (you need to read Going Postal 1st though!). Most of his books are a series, and so its worth reading them roughly in order, but his 1st books aren't as good as some of the newer ones, so I would read them 2 then go back to the start if you can. His characters are great, and the humour is very good, quite sarcastic at times, but mainly taking the mick out of things in society - just my type of humour!

What Jasper FForde would you recommend for me to get next?
    I'd follow the series through. He's also got another series (only 2 books in it at the mo) called 'Nursery Crimes' which is just as funny.
    Brill! Just bought some trashy mystery novels to keep me entertained so when I have finished them, I will start on my next Jasper Fforde! (I am also a sucker for mystery and thriller), I seem to be a little eclectic!

What other things beside Jasper do you read?
  • IggyLouukIggyLouuk Posts: 198
    I LOVE Jasper Fforde

He has a fab website - have read all but the most recent one...

Love Terry Pratchett too - I started with the Colour of Magic - but I really love Mort.

Hi Iggylou

Mort is one of my favourites too! I love Death (sounds strange but he is so funny), so really enjoyed Reaper Man aswell.

I like a huge variety of stuff. At the mo I'm reading the Ian Flemming Bond books (I got them free in the Times). I'm really enjoying them although I find the films mostly boring. It took a while to get into them though.

Torey Hayden is good. She writes about her experiences dealing with troubled children, but somehow makes them read like novels.
    Right, I've added Going Postal to my Amazon basket! I'll let you know how I get on.
    Ooh, Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid is hilarious!
    Oh thats a great book, I really enjoy Bill Bryson. I bought the thundebolt kid quite a while ago, and then took it on holiday with me again a few weeks ago, and laughed all over again.

Have you read googlewack by dave gorman? very funny
  • IggyLouukIggyLouuk Posts: 198
    Quoted:
    Hi Iggylou

Mort is one of my favourites too! I love Death (sounds strange but he is so funny), so really enjoyed Reaper Man aswell.

Yes - Death is great image

I just read Making Money - haven't read going postal tho? maybe should!
    Hi

Def read 'Going Postal' along the same lines as 'Making Money' but still really funny!

xx
  • misslocketmisslocket Posts: 686
    I love the Jasper Fforde books! I'm especially fond of the literary in-jokes. Did anyone notice though in the first episode of The Kevin Bishop Show he did a Nursery Crimes sketch? Wonder if he's been reading Jasper Fforde too eh?