The Hunger Games

Anyone read this trilogy?

The first is about to made into a film and I've seen people talk about it on twitter but never heard of it before. Decided to buy in on kindle on Saturday night and I was hooked!

Read about a third on Saturday night and the same again last night. Turned off the lamp to go to sleep and couldn't stop thinking about it so I got up and read the rest image

Anyone else? Please tell me I'm not mad and it is really good!

• charlieleyacharlieleya Posts: 614
    Not read them but I really fancy the film, sounds very Stephen King-ish, like the running man or something.
  • TickleyJessTickleyJess Posts: 1,649
    Clare, I love them too! I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic literature and The Hunger Games fits the bill perfectly. The second book is just as good, though the third is a bit of a let down by comparison.

I'm hearing good things about the film. It'll whet my appetite before The Hobbit comes out.

Are you Team Peeta or Team Gale?! x
  • Clare_429Clare_429 Posts: 406
    Quoted:
    Clare, I love them too! I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic literature and The Hunger Games fits the bill perfectly. The second book is just as good, though the third is a bit of a let down by comparison.

I'm hearing good things about the film. It'll whet my appetite before The Hobbit comes out.

Are you Team Peeta or Team Gale?! x

I hadn't really decided, I do like them both. I love the romance of Peeta but there's something about Gale that just screams I'M AMAZING! image
  • SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700
    I loved the first one.

Lost the will to live reading the other two. Especially 3!

Not for me I'm afraid. It's my fault though for trying to read books for young adults. I couldn't stand Twilight and gave up about half way through book one! I should just learn that they are not for me!

And having read and loved Battle Royale I just couldn't get over the similarities (with BR) being much better despite the fact she claims not to have been influenced by it!

We are off to see the film tonight though - my fiance says the ads look good and wanted to see it and I want to see how they have made it have such a young rating!

Hope you enjoy the books - my friends and colleagues at work loved it so at the moment I seem to be the anomaly! image
  • missjen88missjen88 Posts: 89
    I bought the 1st book on the kindle without realising it was coming out at the cinema. Totally hooked! I'm almost finished and can't decide whether to go and see it at the cinema, anyone seen it yet?

I haven't read Battle Royale but from reading Wikipedia I can see how it's a similar idea but that doesn't make me think she copied it. I mean every romance novel out there (for example) has the similar kind of storyline! It's a great storyline! It's also follows a similar theme to Lord of the Flies, but again a different twist.
  • Clare_429Clare_429 Posts: 406
    Jen, I can send you the other 2 in kindle format if you want? Pm me your email x
  • SadSack83SadSack83 Posts: 1,700
    I don't think she copied it either - she claims she's never even read it!

Like you say there is not an original idea in the world - what is it 7 main story plots of something?! image

But....I do think Battle Royale is better so for me having read HG afterwards it just couldn't compete. I have to review it fairly against that and I just feel it's not as good - I think a lot of that is the audience it was written for to be honest as there is no doubt that BR is far more adult in it's descriptions, characterization and general 'feel'.

Having said that I really enjoyed it on it's own merits. I was just incredibly let down by the second two books!

I did enjoy the film when I saw it!
    I suppose, though, as you hint at, that The Hunger Games is intended for a young adult audience, whereas Battle Royale has an 18 certificate. Although elements of the novel are brutal, Collins couldn't have used such graphic, gory detail, or she wouldn't be targeting the intended audience. It's just horrible enough to completely hook teenagers and I know many of my students are mesmerised by it,

However, I still felt unsettled reading it, as you forget at times that the characters are children sent into an arena to battle to the death for purely political purposes. From that perspective, it's very emotive.

I can't wait to see the film x
  • EmsBuddyEmsBuddy Posts: 280
    I soo want to read ths book, I went to the flicks to watch the film and it was soo good!

The books ate always better than the film so I'm on the look out fr the book x
  • I loved them! Just read 'Divergent' too which is another post-apocalyptic type thing. Am off to find out about Battle Royale now image

Oh and definitely team Peeta!
  • nenjennenjen Posts: 1,524
    I adored the books! Read all three on my kindle whilst working away and they were finished within 6 days. I was lost when they were over!

I saw the film last weekend and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I'm very tempted to start reading them again now! x
  • missymoo21missymoo21 Posts: 185
    I only bought this trilogy yesterday and am nearly finished the first one, each chapter finishes in such a way that you have to keep reading!! I really want to go and see the film though as I've heard great things and am intrigued to see they way they portray things. I know it's for a younger audience (hence why it's so easy to read) but the concept amazes me and has definitely got me hooked!
    Oh wow - amyilovecake, I loved 'Divergent'! I can't wait to read the next in the series. If you enjoyed that, you should try 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner. Again, a children's book, but brilliant x
  • I LOVE these books. I read them all in about 3 days! I think they are great. I want to see the film version just because I'm intrigued. I know the films are never as good as the books though.
  • FloFlo Posts: 432
    Read the first and loved it! Like any series though I have low hopes for the second and third installments.

I love a bit of post-apocalypse, dystopian future, stuff: the Handmaids Tale is brilliant (if you have seen the film it is poor, but the book is incredible), 1984, Brave New World, Never Let Me Go, Cell, several James Herbert (The Fog, Rats etc).

Don't know why, but I love all the depressing stuff!x
  • FloFlo Posts: 432
    Oh, and although Battle Royale is a similar concept, it's completely different; it's more about the negative way people respond, much darker x
  • ZOEMarie2ZOEMarie2 Posts: 126
    I'm halfway through the second book and its AMAZING! absolutely hooked, and luckily had 2 weeks off work to read them... I'm totally team peeta and feel so sorry for him, I just wanna give katniss a boot up bum!
  • DrMrs2BDrMrs2B Posts: 52

The Hunger Games trilogy is a masterpiece! The film of the first book is great too, although the violence is very toned down. People make comparisons with Battle Royale but FloAnt is right that they're very different - The Hunger Games is more about the reality tv culture we live in now, gone mad. Both can be seen as rewrites of The Lord of the Flies though.