For all the Mature Brides out there!

Hi Guys,

I really want all of your opinions. A close family member (in her 50s) was getting married, and was really struggling to find an outfit.

I was looking on this site, and noticed that it seemed to be a common problem for anyone say 40+. Seems to be that most designers seem to cater for the younger brides, and that the majority of dresses for the more 'mature' brides are more like mother of the bride outfits.

I then decided to set up a website called www.mature-brides.com, to cater specifically for this age group.

It is in its early stages at the moment (been up and running for a few days), but I wanted your opinion on if this is something that you think will do well, how i could make it better, etc.

Like I said, the purpose is to provide dresses that would make you feel like you are a bride, not a mother of the bride, but that are classic, beautiful designs.

It is based on a age range of approx 40 and up.

As I said, would be really pleased to hear from you all!

Thanks

• Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has viewed the site so far - I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making it better? I know that the number of pictures is a little scarce at the moment, but I am receiving the go ahead from more designers to post their pictures on the site all the time, and so there will be more to view in the coming days.

I would like to assure everyone that at present we make no money from this site - it is purely to see how popular such a service would be. It is just myself and my fiance running the site.

We would like it to become a website that really develops based on what you guys would like to get from it, so please, let us know what you think!

As I said, thanks to those of you who have viewed it so far!

Mature Brides
  • oldgirlukoldgirluk Posts: 3
    Hi,

I think it is a really good idea - I have been struggling to find anything suitable (I'm 44).

Keep up the good work

oldgirl
  • Hi Oldgirl,

Thanks very much. Let me know if there is anything you think could be bettered, or alternatively any designers you think are missing.

• boncieboncie Posts: 25
    Hi, what a great idea! I will be 50 when I tie the knot next year, and while I still feel young and don't look all that bad, the designers really do cater more for the younger bride, and I've been feeling really let down. I've been looking at mother of the bride outfits and feeling rather depressed about the whole thing. So it's really good that you are trying to do something about this gap in the market! I've been tempted to start my own magazine (no kidding) dedicated to brides of 40 plus. There are loads of us out there.

Anyway, my only comment to your great site would be on the home page, maybe the photos should change a little more slowly, perhaps fading in and out rather than flashing. Other than that, keep up the good work, well done!
  • BambagirlBambagirl Posts: 7,506
    What a good idea. I'm just off to have a look at it now!

Bambagirl x
  • PikelettePikelette Posts: 1,096
    I've also just gone off to have a look but the link didn't work!
  • MMMukMMMuk Posts: 1,213
    Hi

The website is a really great idea.

The only comment I have is that the photos on the home page. I agree with Boncie on the photographs should be a bit slower.

Other than that, excellent.

• PikelettePikelette Posts: 1,096
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Still can't see it so wonder if it's been designed in some sort of Billy Gates software that won't work on a Mac!
  • Awww not working on mine, although I consider myself the mature bride to be at 39 and am wearing a dress that is very young looking lol !
  • Hi I got married in July and i had the same problem. Designers just dont cater for the older bride. I am 50 and was looking for something quite demure but obviously bridal but without a long train and it was just impossible. I am opening up my own bridal shop tomorrow and am really trying to have a section for older more mature brides. I have managed to source some suppliers but it has been really hard. I cant say where my shop is going to be or i will be in breech of chatroom rules. I am soooo excited and soooo nervous too. I hope i can fulfil all my brides dreams whether they are young first time brides or second time around more mature brides. Ill let you know how
  • FeeFee232FeeFee232 Posts: 1,159
    HI

I will be 41 when I get married and this is the dress I will be wearing.

http://www.anacristache.co.uk/collection/nicola/nicola.php

I think you are as young as you feel and I wouldn't worry about what you shold and shouldn't look like.

I know I don't look or act my age at times but its a lifetime experience getting married and should be enjoyed as such.

The worst thing I had was trying to find outfits for mother of the bride as most of them had long skirts and jackets but had corset tops which they didn't want to wear.

I think your website is a brilliant idea.

My advice to you ladies is don't worry about what you look like just as long as you are comfortable and happy with your choices go for it.

Life offers rare opportunities take them with both hands and utilise them to your advantage.

Im a second time around bride but treating this like a first marriage as I know it will be my last.

I have truly found my soulmate.

Best wishes.

Feex
  • FeeFee232FeeFee232 Posts: 1,159
    I have just checked out the website apart from the photos being too quick. the wording in blue and black is hard to read.

Apart from that good for you.

Best wishes with this venture.

Feex
  • katiebash, I really hope your shop takes off. I will be 50 when I get married next year and it is so discouraging. I go into bridal shops and the assistants either just don't get it or they just assume I am the MOB and no, I am the bride, dear, really. I'm fed up of the bridal market catering exclusively for young women when there are so many like us out there. I have a picture in my head of exactly what I want for my dress, and I know there is no way I'm going to find it. Keep us posted with how your shop is doing! x
  • hi, i think its a great website i have my own bridal hire buisness and i find these days that all the dresses seem to have no sleaves or shoulders, ill be forty next year when i tie the knot so ill be in the que for a little more modest dress so i think your site is great
  • i will be 42 when i get married next year,second time round for both of us. first time i was young, jus t had 2 witnesses and always regretted it. (his idea, not mine)

this time its for keeps and i dont think age comes into it, its how you feel. i have my dress,from monsoon,managed to get into a size 16, and its beautiful. initial responses from relatives were that they didnt think i would want all the fuss, with it being 2nd time.wrong.

my dress is really important to me, and h2b is wearing kilt. wear what you like ladies, its your day.

havent tried out the website, but sounds like a good idea.good luck with it

• did u develop and design the website yourself?

even though im young i like the idea of it, sounds like a lot of other people do to.

p.s the link doesnt work because there is a comma at the end of the URL, just get rid of that and it will work.

Good luck with it!!
  • TulipBrideTulipBride Posts: 3,966
    What a great idea Mature-Brides. Good for you and your fianc???? for doing the website. I'm 42 and although I haven't found it too difficult finding dresses for my "age" I have found it impossible to find dresses that aren't strapless. Is anyone else bored with the ubiquitous strapless dress? (apologies to anyone who is having one!)

So good to see lovely, truly elegant dresses on your website. Some comments if you don't mind them:

The photos on the home page appear to be on fast forward! Slow down the rate and it will be more impressive.

Hate the black background. Black is, well... black and a bit depressing. It's a bridal site after all! If you want a dark coloured background how about navy, forest green or claret as an alternative colour?

I love the fact that the models look like real and I use this word carefully -older - ladies as opposed to 6'4" teenage stick insects.

Good luck with the site.

FeeFee - I love your dress. Wow, it's tr????s chic.

• Hmm not only am a bride the wrong side of 30, I am also a pretty curvey one and yes I agree there are way too many strapless dresses out there!

I toyed with getting a shrug or bolero but they just accentuated my boobs, so I have gone with illusion sleeves - I'm getting these made for me and they will fasten onto my dress.

Trying the dress on its own, I look like a boats figurehead, but with sleeves it'll looks beautiful.

I would suggest when buying a dress to always think if there is a possibility of modifications.

I bet that once I'm married designers will start bringing out dresses with sleeves!

• CHIP58CHIP58 Posts: 183
    Great idea and site for mature brides. I will be 1st time bride and 52 when I get married in 2010.
  • I would get something made. I am getting married at 38 and couldn't find anything I liked in the shops. Getting something made is not as ridiculously expensive as you might think. I paid £90 to have the sewing done and £35 for the material. It's a 50s style dress which looks a bit more dignified than the usual strapless floor length affair if you're not 21 anymore!
  • It is good to know that I was not alone - I'm marrying for the first time, age 56, but feel much younger! I don't want to wear a white, strapless meringue dress, so have now settled on a dark blue bridesmaid dress, that is long and elegant. The wedding dress market does mainly cater for young brides and I found it quite disheartening - so good luck to those setting up for the alternative market

[Modified by: missjc on October 31, 2008 03:22 PM]

• Quoted:
    Hi Guys,

I really want all of your opinions. A close family member (in her 50s) was getting married, and was really struggling to find an outfit.

I was looking on this site, and noticed that it seemed to be a common problem for anyone say 40+. Seems to be that most designers seem to cater for the younger brides, and that the majority of dresses for the more 'mature' brides are more like mother of the bride outfits.

I then decided to set up a website called www.mature-brides.com, to cater specifically for this age group.

It is in its early stages at the moment (been up and running for a few days), but I wanted your opinion on if this is something that you think will do well, how i could make it better, etc.

Like I said, the purpose is to provide dresses that would make you feel like you are a bride, not a mother of the bride, but that are classic, beautiful designs.

It is based on a age range of approx 40 and up.

As I said, would be really pleased to hear from you all!

Thanks

This sounds just want I have been looking for will have look now Thks Dee
  • kayr68kayr68 Posts: 417
    Is this website still working?? I can't seem to get on it and I really want to as will be 42 year old 2nd timer when we tie the knot.:\)
  • hi kayr68,yes its stikk working,i 2 am 42 and its my second time around but this time i,m much more excited about it as i felt that the first time was only to rebel against an overpowering mother! Yes i am going the whole hog ,wedding dress horsedrawn carriage,favours the lot,none of which i had first time around! I,m getting wed 4th july 09 how about you?
  • bagwashbagwash Posts: 343
    I think the site is a great idea. I also agree with the comments about the speed of the pictures and the blue on black. I have an eye condition that means I can't see things properly if there isn't a proper contrast between the text and the background. And real women as models is definitely a winner as far as I'm concerned.

The only other thing I thought about was maybe suggestions a la Trinny & Susanna regarding styles to suit different shapes. My cousin got married last year at 56 and chose a lovely slim fitting strapless dress with a little ruffly train that looked beautiful on her as she's quite skinny and doesn't have a big bust.

I'd look awful in her dress. Long gone are the days when I was skinny and had angles instead of curves. I kissed them goodbye around 40 and I'll be 50 when I get married in February. Having said that I now have curves and I love them. I wanted plain so I've gone for a very very plain skirt (although it does have a train and quite full underskirts) with a fairly simple bodice that can be laced in to show the waist I haven't been aware of in a few years. image

http://clients.onestopbridal.net/designers/b071/pages/melody_jpg.htm

This is the second time round for both of us as well but I'm treating it like like the first as far as the outfit is concerned and going the whole hog. I wore a cream suit from C & A the first time round. My mum chose it and I hated it.

I never intended to go for the full ivory number, especially as I'm getting married in Lapland and would like people to be able to tell the difference between me & the snow. The bridal shop had a Ritva Westenius skirt & bodice that just felt like 'the dress' when I tried it on and my daughters agreed. Also, they were ex cat-walk samples so I got them at a bargain price.
  • Hey, im a fashion graduate and im really interested by all your responses to the gap in the market for mature brides. What kind of wedding outfits would you be looking for? And do you know any good retailers that supply similar things
  • I'm afraid I can't get the mature bisea site to open