Forum home Archived Brides of all ages

some advice please!! UPDATED

hi ladies,

i'm crashing a bit here.....i'm getting married in may 2010 and i'm 25. my mum got engaged on new years day and is planning her wedding for this sept/oct.

she is 45, 5ft size 12 and hasnt got a clue where to start looking for her dress or what style of dress to look for. its a small wedding of 30.

she is so lovely and pretty so she needs some beautiful and ive to help her shop!!

can any of you lovley mature brides please give me any hints!!

many thanks for reading!!

Cx

p.s i'll need to get her on her!!image

[Modified by: foofan on 04 April 2009 11:09:55 ]

• What a lovely daughter you are to try and get help for your mum, and nothing negative to say that she is doing it before yourself! I will be 55 when I get married, currently a size 16/18 but hoping I will be less when I get married in July 2010. I will be looking to get a rather special evening dress I think with something short sleeved over it. Congratulations to your mum, and hope your own plans coming on well too.
  • bagwashbagwash Posts: 343
    I'll be 50 when I get married next month. I decided I wasn't going for the traditional ivory blancmange look and guess what I ended up buying? image

I don't think age really matters that much when you're buying a dress. What matters more is your mum's shape and personality and what she will feel comfortable in.

I've gone for a fairly full skirt with a bodice that shows off the curves I didn't have when I was younger. My cousin (who was 55 when she got married last year) is very slim and went for a more figure hugging style and looked absolutely fabulous.

My advice would be - think about what styles you've seen you mum wearing and what ones you think were really flattering on her. That will give you something to start with. Then the two of you can decide whether she suits the traditional bridal white or ivory or whether she'd feel more comfortable in a gentle pastel shade or a stronger colour. I had intended to go for a burgundy red at the start as it's a colour I know I suit. I've ended up with ivory and dark green image Don't go with a fixed idea, go with a few options and see where it leads you. When I tried on my dress the first time I knew it was the one for me.

Good luck.
  • Mummy83Mummy83 Posts: 493
    thank you both so much for your advice!!

cant wait to start shopping together for our dresses! i think it will be such a special thing for us to share!!! we cant wait to be celebrating our 10yr anniv's at the same time!!image

good luck with all you plans!

Cx
  • TulipBrideTulipBride Posts: 3,966
    Yes, I agree with bagwash. It's about your Mum's personality and shape rather than age. I'm not far off your Mum, being 42, 5'1" and a size 10/12 myself.

I'd suggest your Mum buys a few wedding magazines and tears out any pics of dresses that catch her eye and look on designer websites. I did this and ended up with a mini portfolio. I began to see a pattern emerging - I was drawn to non strapless ivory dresses with lace, quite slimline and no veil. It helped to give me some ideas for when I then starting going to shops.

Also think about how much she wants to spend and factor in any additional costs for alterations and accessories. And don't just think about the dress; rather the overall look e.g. would she want a veil, tiara, jewellery, bolero etc...

After that it simply is a question of having fun trying on as many different styles as possible.

I'll be wearing my gorgeous Benjamin Roberts dress in exactly two months today!
    you must be getting so excited tulipbride!!

thanks for your advice - cant wait for the fun bit - the shopping!!

good luck with your big day!

Cx
  • Quoted:
    hi ladies,

i'm crashing a bit here.....i'm getting married in may 2010 and i'm 25. my mum got engaged on new years day and is planning her wedding for this sept/oct.

she is 45, 5ft size 12 and hasnt got a clue where to start looking for her dress or what style of dress to look for. its a small wedding of 30.

she is so lovely and pretty so she needs some beautiful and ive to help her shop!!

can any of you lovley mature brides please give me any hints!!

many thanks for reading!!

Cx

p.s i'll need to get her on her!!image

How kind of you to ask for help hope you have told your mum about this site as well... I went to the normal bridel shops with my daughter I only looked at the sample rail... as i didn't want to spend loads. I went wanting a coloured dress and came out with an amazing ivory & gold dress at a fantastic saving. I was shocked at what i could get away with... I told the shop i didnt want to look like i was in my twentys but i did want my h2b to think wow... My daughter was really good told me if they were too much lol... I just knew once i tried it on that it was for me... have fun trying on I loved it. xx
    just thot i'd give you a wee update!

went to a wedding show and my mum met a lovely woman who makes mainly bridesmaid dresses but shes going to help my wee mammy out and make her the perfect dress!!

shes soooo excited now!

good luck with all you plans ladies and thanks for the advice!!

Cx

Another wee update!!

my mum got her dress on wed!! she tried on about 10 dresses and could have worn every last one!! she was so lovely in them all!!

so she picked her dream dress!! 12 weeks til she gets her fittings!!

Cx
  • jules-rulesjules-rules Posts: 7,025 New bride
    Agree its about what suits her and her shape .

Im 44 and wore a princess dress by morilee.. i didnt let age stand in the way of what i wanted to wear.

jxx
  • TulipBrideTulipBride Posts: 3,966
    Hey foofan, great news that your Mum has now got her dress - how exciting! What style/designer did she go for in the end?

Mrs TulipBride - she ended up with an ivory 2 peice. my mums wee so she looked all lovely and tiny(i'm tall so just jealous) its got lovely detail on the top - very pretty! she went for a slightly fuller skirt than i imagined but it was perfect on!

MrsJules - your dress was so beautiful - loved all your pics!

Cx