Forum home Archived Brides of all ages

Need your Advice

Hi everyone,

I've recently got engaged and we're planning to get married in March, 2011. It will be second time for me and I will be the ripe old age of 52!

Now heres the problem.....what do I wear???? First time wedding was nothing special, registry office with close family and meal in hotel afterwards, then back home. Would like this time round to feel more like a bride but don't want to 'overdo' it and end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb! I'd like a nice dress but without a train..... would really appreciate it if anyones got any suggestions x

• laurabelle86laurabelle86 Posts: 134
    try ronald joyce collections, they do elegant light dresses! xx
  • Dusty - why not try Monsoon , they have a bridal range that has several understated but very beautiful bridal gowns that aren't too expensive.

You have plenty of time, so maybe attend some wedding shows or take time to visit lots of bridal boutiques.

I am sure something perfect is out there for you x

[Modified by: leokatsmom on July 19, 2009 08:34 AM]

• BetrothedBetrothed Posts: 117
    I had the same dilemma. Last time was over 30 years ago and was a reg.office do as my dear late husband had been married before. This time I wanted to feel llike a `proper' bride on the day. I have had my dress made my a local dressmaker. Wish I could post a pic but it's in hiding as we are due to be married in 14 days time and I haven't worked out how to post pictures yet. my dress is 50's style with a wide neck line, fitted to the waist and then a long skirt quite strait at the front but with a train. It looks like a brides dress but is not over the top and will be cut down later to form a lovely evening frock. Oh and its mainly wine coloured with a flower pattern. The thing about having a dress maker I found was that she guided me towards what would suit my shape and what would suit the occassion. it took all the angst out of finding the right dress on my own. Well once I had settled on the colour that is.

I hope you find what you want you certainly have plenty of time!
  • daisylozdaisyloz Posts: 3,109
    Hi I am in the same situation as yourself Dusty and have just posted a similar plea under the Older Bride Forum cos I hadnt seen this ...its a tricky one isnt it? I love the champagne colour and would love a wedding dress this time although simple and tasteful.....not sure it wont look silly at my age though and I'm a size 16 which doesnt help ! x
  • harrydogukharrydoguk Posts: 481
    Go to the bridal shops and try the samples rail you can bag some amazing bargins... Your planning things in advance xx
  • new-mrsbnew-mrsb Posts: 2,015 New bride
    Dusty did you get sorted?
  • Hi,

I'm still looking at dresses, got loads of time yet. Tried a couple on in monsoon which I quite liked, and also one in debenhams. Think i'm feeling a bit more confident now about wearing a 'proper' wedding dress tho plan to keep it simple and definetely no train. Its good to come on here and see other B2B around my age group having the same worries about what to wear and sharing ideas with one another x
    Well I am so glad I took advice from girls on here...see my previous topics ...and have found a fab bmaid dress Ronald Joyce ...quite similar to above but with more bling...we need sophistication with style I think....dont go for less...enjoy your moment as a bride yea? x
  • Grangebex, I love the style of the dress on the right hand side. I have a tattoo on the top of my right arm ( a bit of rebellion when I split up with ex hubby lol) and a dress with short sleeves would cover it up perfectly as I don't really want it on the wedding photo's. That would would look lovely with a bit of bling as daisyloz says.

Daisyloz your dress looks stunning as well!! Whens your big day?

x x
  • Grangebex,

That's a wonderfully elegant outfit, pretty similar to the way my thoughts are running at the moment.

Dusty,

I've been researching vintage-y frocks - there are a lot of links in the alternative weddings forum.
    Thanks hun...I really am pleased that I found it...I'm on 2nd Jan 2010 ...only 113 days left...it goes soooooooooo quickly! Let us know what you decide wont you?? x