Forum home Archived Disabilities

I hate the winter

My arthritis flares up and just makes me throughly miserable. Having had a relatively pain free summer, I had almost forgotten what it was like and had managed to convince myself that it wasn't really all that bad. But it is.

My shoulder is agony. I am hunching so much that my neck has now got a weird crick in it and my head is too heavy. It has come on so suddenly that this morning I wasn't in any pain and I don't have any decent painkillers with me as I got out of the habit of carrying them.

I was only dignosed this time last year so still trying to find things that ease the pain for a short time. Other than hot baths/heat wraps does anyone have any ideas?

I don't have real arthritis. Sounds odd, but the type I have is palindromic arthritis. It is an auto immune disease which means my body tricks itself into thinking it needs to attack antigens, when infact all it does is attack the joint. Then after a period of time, can be days can be weeks, it realises all is well and goes away as quickly as it flares up, only to then move to another joint. It just sucks.

• aww hugs i feel for you.

me and h2b both have rheumatoid arthritis, mine isnt as bad as his, he is in pain constly but cold weather makes mine flaire up esp in my right hand, makes working very hard as i use my hands all day,

i have a hand warmer that i heat in the microwave and hold it and it helps with the pain, but you have said something other than that,

as im being no help i will give hugs *hugs* xxx
  • All hugs greatfully recieved!

I feel a bit better today, ate a load of painkillers when I got home so that has eased it a bit. I think yesterday I was just in a "Oh god it this what it will always be like" kind of mood.

Heat is an amazing ease but the relief doesn't last long does it.
  • sending you a hug here too image Everything always feels worse when the weather gets like this, and I too have days when I just think 'is this ever going to end'.. I used to use a hot water bottle all the time and ended up with burn marks which are now scars where I used to lay it on my legs image
  • Quoted:
    All hugs greatfully recieved!

I feel a bit better today, ate a load of painkillers when I got home so that has eased it a bit. I think yesterday I was just in a "Oh god it this what it will always be like" kind of mood.

Heat is an amazing ease but the relief doesn't last long does it.

sadly it doesnt, i was cutting up chicken the other day that had just come out of the fridge and my god it was sooo cold it made my hands really hurt, so i plunged them into a bowl of hot water and stood by the sink for 10 mins,

hope your ok today xxx
  • Doesn't that give you chilbains or something, Fallen Angel? I remember someone warning me against doing it lol. Mind you I still do!

I got back from fireworks last night despite 2 pairs of gloves my hands were useless clawlike blocks of ice.

Roll on summer!

Hugs and hot waterbottles to you all! x
  • Quoted:
    Doesn't that give you chilbains or something, Fallen Angel? I remember someone warning me against doing it lol. Mind you I still do!x

meh lol, it helps with the pain, i have never got chilbains due to doing it, xxx

• little kittykat - ouch!

I sat ina bath up to mu neck last night so haot than when I got out I had a red line like a scald mark. Was bloomin lovely while I was in there though. Radio on, lights off. moments of bliss. I had AT LEAST 45 mins of it not hurting!

Oh, when doing anything in the kitchen I am quite often wearing oven gloves to protect me. It is a bit gammy when peeling pots but they are soooo cold from the fridge, I can't bear it.
  • It appears my fingers don't work today
  • Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Doesn't that give you chilbains or something, Fallen Angel? I remember someone warning me against doing it lol. Mind you I still do!x

meh lol, it helps with the pain, i have never got chilbains due to doing it, xxx

aah chillblains, they really hurt when you do get them. Never got them on my fingers but used to get them a lot when trying to warm up my toes in front of the fire :/
  • Me too. I've suffered from bad depression in the past and although I'm OK at the mo, I find the darker days do affect my mood a LOT. So much more upbeat/energetic in summer!