Forum home Archived Disabilities

wedding shoes

Hiya,

I am just wondering if i could have some advise. I have rhmertoid artheritis and have a damaged foot which swells, it can go up for 1-4 weeks before it goes down again. I stuggle with my mobility and i can no longer wear heels, im currently waiting for my insoles that have been specially made for me i collect them on the 29th from my occupational theropist at the hospital.

So im looking for ideas really from people who have similour problems,

thank you x

• Hiya,

I am just wondering if i could have some advise. I have rhmertoid artheritis and have a damaged foot which swells, it can go up for 1-4 weeks before it goes down again. I stuggle with my mobility and i can no longer wear heels, im currently waiting for my insoles that have been specially made for me i collect them on the 29th from my occupational theropist at the hospital.

So im looking for ideas really from people who have similour problems,

thank you x
  • I dont have a similar problem but I do ahve a really nobbly toe (kinda bunion but on the top not th edise) which makes shoes difficult.

Have you thought about flats? very practical and no-one will see under your dress!

• I have balance problems so have to wear flats - there seem to be some nice flats around. My SIL2B doesn't have anything wrong with her feet but purely for comfort she wore white trainers in the evening. Also if you are worried that shoes that are going to be ok for your feet aren't going to look weddingy you could always decorate them to make them look for bridal. Probably best to get shoes that are suitable for your feet and then glam them up a bit rather than getting painful feet. Could you take your shoes off during the day if they are getting sore? Also if your dress is long then most people won't see your shoes. Could you buy shoes with a fashening that can be loosen or tighten as necessary?

Hope that was helpful!
  • I looked at some nike trainers which were more like shoes and had silver detailing. They were pretty but I couldn't get any in my size. I've since bought some really pretty shoes, designed to suit me from Bespoke Big Day - they have adapted one of their deisgns and are making exactly what I want so I'm getting very pretty shoes! I also have bought some Jane Shilton white pumps to wear if my pretty shoes aren't comfy enough later in the day.
  • Hi,

I am having the same problem, I had a car accident in 2006 where a taxi caught my foot and it is very swollen on my right big toe joint. It is still very painful and having tight straps on top of the lumpy bit really hurts. Does anyone know of anywhere that I can get them made to measure not too expensively?

Thanks,

LaLa

xxxx

• On the thread about cutom dresses I think one of the girls had her shoes made too....... you can chose heel height, width etc.

It was from this place here, http://www.bespokebigday.co.uk/

I hope maybe they could help?

Cheers, Lucy x
  • Thanks, have emailed them so hopefully will find something,

Thanks again

xxx
  • thank you for the link, ill have a look. Ive got my insoles now and they do take up room but have made such a difference x
  • Thought I'd show you my shoes - finally got some pics of them - they're really comfy. Had them made by Bespoke Big Day

• You can just see them under my dress here - gives better idea of colour contrast with my ivory (maggie) dress

[Modified by: sweetjo on February 27, 2010 02:09 PM]

• Very very pretty!!!!! Gorgeous colour!
  • Hi girls!

I've had a back injury and chronic pain (sciatica because of 2 collapsed discs plus early stages of arthritis in my lower spine) since I was 14, and just can't wear high heels. I found it impossible to get bridal shoes with low, chunky heels (I can wear low cuban heels). Either they are skyscraper high or completely flat, and I really wanted a little heel. Kitten heels are no good either, because our wedding venue is a listed building with restrictions on how narrow heels can be! And I also feel they're too wobbly.

Anyway, I ended up getting mine from my favourite dance shoe company: www.heavenlydanceshoes.com

They custom make shoes to your specifications. Any colour, any straps, any heels, open toes, sandals, closed toe etc etc etc. I got silver shoes with crossover straps over the ankle, and low, glittery cuban heels. So chuffed with them!

The only thing is they're not really suitable for outdoors use, as they have either leather or suede soles, as they are made to dance in. Not a problem for me, as I will use them to dance in after the wedding!
  • I've finally ordered some shoes from Elegant Wedding Shoes. They are flats but look really nice. They are very comfy and the service I got from the company was excellent - they emailed me responding to all my questions, sent out samples of the fabics and were really good.

I think they also offer custom made/wider fit shoes, or will adapt some of their designs if needed.