Forum home Archived Disabilities

Sertraline for OCD?

Hi,

I was wondering whether anybody had ever taken sertraline for OCD? I've just been prescribed it today following a mental health assessment. My OCD is now so bad I've stopped inviting friends and other visitors round to our house for fear of contamination. I really don't want to be like this but I'm wary of taking medication. CBT was also discussed but I'm scared to take more time off work for appointments in case they start asking questions. If anyone has any experience of taking setraline, especially for OCD, please can you share? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks x

• Hi,

I was wondering whether anybody had ever taken sertraline for OCD? I've just been prescribed it today following a mental health assessment. My OCD is now so bad I've stopped inviting friends and other visitors round to our house for fear of contamination. I really don't want to be like this but I'm wary of taking medication. CBT was also discussed but I'm scared to take more time off work for appointments in case they start asking questions. If anyone has any experience of taking setraline, especially for OCD, please can you share? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks x
  • Hi Bounty

I have never taken anything for my OCD so can't help on that front, but I have had two courses of CBT and I'm about to start another lot this week.

My first lot of CBT was when I was at uni so time for appointments wasn't a problem, but last time (and this time) I am in full time work. When the doc sent me back I asked if there was anything I could do about telling my employer. He advised me to be completely honest and explain what the problem was and why I needed the time off. It took a bit of courage but I spoke to my boss and he was so understanding. I tried to make my appointments for first thing in the morning to try and miss as little work as possible. Both times the CBT has been really useful and I am looking forward to starting it again to get my OCD under control (it just slowly creeps up on me until it gets to difficult to deal with on my own).

I think CBT can be really useful, but I understand not all employers can be as accommodating or understanding as mine has been.

I hope this helps.
  • TwinMumVixTwinMumVix Posts: 844
    I was prescribed Fluoxetine for my OCD. My bosses knew about my OCD as I work in a dental surgery and everything was making me panic so I couldnt hide it.

I couldn't recommend CBT enough, I would still be suffering if it wasn't for that!
  • Hi! I take sertraline for my OCD and it has made me a different person! I don't know how I coped before it. The only thing is that it can affect your sex drive as it has done with me but I feel that it is worth it to be better. (Sorry to be graphic but I just wanted to be honest!) I also had CBT which helped too and helped me to deal with my thoughts etc. I hope you get on ok with it but if not dont be afraid to go back to your doctors and try a different type of medication. I had to try some other tablets first but they didnt work for me so then they tried me with sertraline. x
  • T-ladyukT-ladyuk Posts: 677
    Hi Bounty, i have sertraline for OCD and depression, i am now a different person. I was like you had a fear of contamination and germs from others, it didnt just affect me but the family too as i was also petrified of chemicals and harmful effects. I stopped eating and became anorexic due to the fear of food making me ill. I am now so laid back its unreal. Yes like Princess61 says it does affect your sex drive, but h2b is just happy that the house can now be a mess without me having a breakdown and that the kids are allowed to be dirty. It is also nice to have my curves back and be able to eat again. I do however fear what would happen if i stopped taking these tablets. good luck i hope they help you like they have me.