can somebody pls explain to me why wedding veils are so expensive?

I really do not understand it - it is in theory a trimmed net with a comb attached.

How much are you paying for yours ladies? x

• I got my veil 2day! £165 i paid for mine! ridiculous!!!
  • Mrs_Davis_2_BMrs_Davis_2_B Posts: 174
    £70 for mine, but in theory mine was free / included in the price of the dress. because i spent a certain amount on a my dress i recieved a 20% voucher of the dress total for accessories so used this for veil and tiara
  • You could always try making your own, plenty of patterns online http://www.sewessential.co.uk/Category.asp?CategoryID=1733&NumPerPage=5&page=1
  • NowMrsT62011NowMrsT62011 Posts: 2,580
    I ordered mine the other day from Uk Wedding Veils after asking for recommendations on here! Paid £36 plus p+p. Bargain.
  • Hey,

I thought that too! Although I fell in love with my veil the moment I tried it on with my dress, just fell perfectly and was such an unusual length. Just put it on ebay for less than half of what I paid!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290568257309&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Hope you find one you like soon.

xxx
  • k4t1e195k4t1e195 Posts: 23
    I got mine off ebay. Was £20. A bargain and it is lovely. My dress is white so it had to be bright white. Got a comb on it and little diamontees. X
  • I know I agree..

I loved one, which was £260!! for netting on a comb with a few sparkles on.. it's crazy.

And I wont be selling my dress, veil etc after wedding, as want to keep it all! so not even like can justify by selling after.
  • It's ridiculous, I'm going to look into making one, I'm a bit of a dab hand with a sewing machine image
  • My mil2b is making mine. It cost 15.00 for all the bits and pieces including the crystals.
  • I guess could always get a cheap one from china and put own crystals on??
  • emsyjemsyj Posts: 3,807
    I paid £200 for mine, but it was silk and silk tulle is reeeeeaaaaaally expensive, plus it was made specially by Kelly Spence (who is fab) as the style I wanted wasn't available anywhere.
  • I wondered this, so I went to John Lewis and priced up how much it would cost for a length of ivory tulle (long enough for a chapel-length veil with a bit to spare in case of mistakes) and plenty of Swarovski crystals to sew onto it. Allowing a small cost for comb and sewing materials I estimated it would cost about £50 for me to make it myself! To be fair most of this was the price of the crystals (£35 for 100) but that goes some way to explaining the expense.

In the end I've decided I will probably buy mine from UK Wedding Veils as it will cost just over £60 for the same thing. I think the bridal shops put a huge mark up on them plus they generally have to be ordered from abroad.
  • RowenaFWRowenaFW Posts: 2,078
    Prefix any item with the word "wedding" and it will instantly double in price.
  • MrsPugh2MrsPugh2 Posts: 446
    i got a brand new one of ebay for £6.99 it was a cathedral length one with the comb attached. I loved the one i tried on with my dress but there was no way i was spending £199 on one.
  • Nainai3007Nainai3007 Posts: 11
    Quoted:
    I wondered this, so I went to John Lewis and priced up how much it would cost for a length of ivory tulle (long enough for a chapel-length veil with a bit to spare in case of mistakes) and plenty of Swarovski crystals to sew onto it. Allowing a small cost for comb and sewing materials I estimated it would cost about £50 for me to make it myself! To be fair most of this was the price of the crystals (£35 for 100) but that goes some way to explaining the expense.

In the end I've decided I will probably buy mine from UK Wedding Veils as it will cost just over £60 for the same thing. I think the bridal shops put a huge mark up on them plus they generally have to be ordered from abroad.

35 for 100 image . I paid 4.50 for 1000 swarovski crystals off ebay to stick on my 6.99 silk tulle veil also off ebay image . The veil I treid on in the shop was 360 image

Girlies, it's deff worth researching ebay or like sites as 99% of the time you can find the same if not very similar veil to what you see in the shop for a fraction of the price.

Happy shopping image
  • wolukwoluk Posts: 67
    I was just going to post the same. £35 for 100 crystals is very expensive. I can thoroughly recommend this shop for beads, crystals and pretty much anything else people need for home-made prettying!:

http://www.mailorder-beads.co.uk/shop/swarovski-crystal/

I have got some pearls off there to wire onto my tiara. They are very helpful and the prices very reasonable.

My veil cost about £60. It's a hip length Joyce Jackson veil with a ribbon edge. For those who are brave enough to try making their own veil, there is a good tutorial here:

http://www.rockmywedding.co.uk/diy-cathedral-veil-tutorial/
  • vinchaudvinchaud Posts: 220
    I got mine of ebay - 10 pounds plus postage. Its cream, floor length and has diamontees on it, lovely with my dress.
  • The one I fell in love with in the shop was £89, so I searched the internet for the same one! found one similar £154 image

Then I found Linda, she makes them and from my description, she has made my like the one in the shop! for £60 plus p&p! and I love it...

PM me and I will give you her details... image
  • Quoted:
    I was just going to post the same. £35 for 100 crystals is very expensive.

Well, it was John Lewis! Tbh it was a while ago and I may have remembered it wrong.
  • MrsMac-FMrsMac-F Posts: 959
    Mine cost £41 plus p&p from The Wedding Veil Shop. It is a fingertip lenght, single tier veil with scattered diamantes in pink.
  • just wanted to point out that although some may see a veil as a bit of net stuck to a comb, there's a little bit more work that goes into it than that (having tried to cut voile to make window coverings, it's REALLY hard to cut a straight line!!) ...and the person who made it has to make a living too image

Imagine how long it takes to perfectly stitch a fine ribbon edge so it's the same size all the way round? or add crystals in a uniform pattern etc..

Gem. x
  • ...there will always be a shop or two who take the mick, but once again, a little bit of shopping around will make a big difference - not always pracical for the dress but much easier to do for accessories
  • Mine is Tulle, with a Satin Trimmed edge and has diamantes on it.

Only cost £54.99 from a Pronuptia Paris shop in Nottingham.

Bargain Really.

They have shops all over the country.

Good lUCK X
  • MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,352 New bride
    Mine was free with my dress. I dont think I would have had one if I had to pay for it
  • BrideyBooBrideyBoo Posts: 524
    I bought my dress of another bride who'd changed her mind so she threw the veil in too otherwise I wouldn't have had one as they are stupidly expensive. or I would have bought one from Ebay if I really couldn't do without.
  • NowMrsWoodNowMrsWood Posts: 438
    Mine was £200 but got it for free as I bought my dress from Confetti & Lace and it was around the Royal Wedding time so it was an offer they were doing. image
  • BabsMelonBabsMelon Posts: 983
    I'm going to find one I like in the shop, take note of the measurements and then buy it cheaper online. I think anything over £50 is too much for a veil tbh.
  • lizzie1975lizzie1975 Posts: 21
    i got mine from ebay £17 its lush with diamontes matches dresss perfect
  • mimimoominmimimoomin Posts: 291
    the one i wanted was £260 but found a lady on ebay selling hers brand new and was elizabeth dickens mocha colour which i not easy to find a veil to match a light gold dress and was buy it now for £70 and i bid £10 and no one else did yay! it still has the tags on and everything and is a perfect match image
  • joesgirlukjoesgirluk Posts: 39
    Quoted:
    I wondered this, so I went to John Lewis and priced up how much it would cost for a length of ivory tulle (long enough for a chapel-length veil with a bit to spare in case of mistakes) and plenty of Swarovski crystals to sew onto it. Allowing a small cost for comb and sewing materials I estimated it would cost about £50 for me to make it myself! To be fair most of this was the price of the crystals (£35 for 100) but that goes some way to explaining the expense. In the end I've decided I will probably buy mine from UK Wedding Veils as it will cost just over £60 for the same thing. I think the bridal shops put a huge mark up on them plus they generally have to be ordered from abroad.

Can see the way you're thinking here, but if it costs YOU £50 to make in materials add a day (or two) to make - takes ages to cut the tulle straight properly (and this would be a plain cut edge without any embroidery) and sew/stick the crystals on, say another £50+ for hard day's work, packing it and sending (+£5) it to a shop to sell and they add on another £50 (?) and add 20% vat = £186!

The cost for veils is in the labour/making not just the materials - my sister made mine (don't know what it cost her) and in the end it really was a labour of love! (and was extra special to me)