"Save the date" for a wedding abroad

Hi

I am a newbie so please be kind :)

Me and my fiancé are planning on getting married in St Lucia in November 2018.  We are in the early stages of planning the wedding however have come to a stop as the 2018 holidays are not yet on sale so we cannot book anything or get an actual date!

We want as many of our families and friends to join us in St Lucia and have priced up roughly how much it will cost them for either a 1 week or 2 week stay (based on this year and next year's prices). 

I want to send some "send the dates" out to all our potential guests to give them plenty of notice and time to save up if they wish to join us.  However, as we do not have a date yet (and probably won't have until late Spring next year) I cannot give them a precise date to save!

I was wondering whether anyone had sent out "provisional save the dates" informing them roughly what month and year and the location and possible prices???  I want to send something out to let them know so they can save and also so they can advise us as to whether they want to come so that as soon as we can book with the travel agent we can advise how many rooms we will need.

Thanks in advance :)

Dani

• Kitten2014Kitten2014 Posts: 1,489

The trend I've seen on STD for weddings abroad is about one year. At that point, you would certainly have a date and locations for the ceremony, reception, and accommodations set. If you don't have information to share of this nature, then your guests aren't really able to plan much.

That doesn't mean you can't make an engagement announcement including the fact that the wedding will be in St. Lucia in Nov 2018 "with more details to follow."  This would be completely appropriate send via social media, a wedding website, text, email, or word of mouth. 

Unless you have a very generous budget, you probably would not want to invest to two sets of STD documents, one now with very little info, and one later with more info.  (If you do have the funds, by all means, start mocking them up!)

• Cara18Cara18 Posts: 101

Hey,

I sent out save the dates just under a year in advance with confirmed date of wedding and I also pulled together a wee booklet advising on flight options, prices, suitable hotels, activities, things to do etc. I think I took pictures and put in my planning thread.

If you want to see the booklet in more detail, let me know and I can scan it in and send it to you :)

• Hi Danielle,  I'm new here also!  We are having our wedding in Jamaica this October.  Our engagement will be a little over 2 and half years from when we got engaged so that people could have enough time to save up.  We sent out our save the dates around 11 months in advance but most all of our guests were already aware from the time of our engagement that we were doing a destination wedding just by word of mouth.  I don't think its necessary to send out 2 different save the dates.  I think the suggestion about an engagement announcement is a good idea if you don't want to tell everyone personally.  Congratulations!

• Hi Cara18.
    thanks for your reply. 
    When I have been working out pricing it is going to be around £1200 per person for a 1 week stay at our hotel and around £1800 per person for a 2 week stay with it being in St Lucia.  I don't think a year is long enough to expect people to save that sort of money which is why I thought I would give them at least 2 1/2 years notice as the majority of them will be couples and some families and so will be quite pricey.  We want as many of them to join us as possible which is why I was going to send them out sooner rather than later, plus then when we are able to book, we will have an idea as to numbers so can do a group booking.
    I was thinking of just putting the proposed month and year and the hotel and rough prices so they could make their own minds up and then, when we have the official date, send out proper save the dates/invites to those who want to come.  I just think it is a bit much to expect people to save in 1 year (or just over a year) when they will have their own holidays to pay for etc. x
    Cara18 wrote (see post):

Hey,

I sent out save the dates just under a year in advance with confirmed date of wedding and I also pulled together a wee booklet advising on flight options, prices, suitable hotels, activities, things to do etc. I think I took pictures and put in my planning thread.

If you want to see the booklet in more detail, let me know and I can scan it in and send it to you :)

• Hi Sarah599
    Thanks for your reply.  That sounds like us!!
    I might just design something myself to send out confirming the engagement/suggesting where and when the wedding may be just so they can start to save if they want to come.  I think it is too much to save up in one year when it could cost between £2400 - £3600 per couple depending on how long they stay.
    Finding it difficult not being able to organise and book things now with having to wait for the holidays to go on sale!!!  My dress has already been ordered though and have got my eye on bridesmaid dresses!!
    I hope you have a lovely wedding when it arrives :) x
    Sarah599 wrote (see post):

Hi Danielle,  I'm new here also!  We are having our wedding in Jamaica this October.  Our engagement will be a little over 2 and half years from when we got engaged so that people could have enough time to save up.  We sent out our save the dates around 11 months in advance but most all of our guests were already aware from the time of our engagement that we were doing a destination wedding just by word of mouth.  I don't think its necessary to send out 2 different save the dates.  I think the suggestion about an engagement announcement is a good idea if you don't want to tell everyone personally.  Congratulations!

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,331 New bride

Just a thought - but do they have to be at the same hotel? that is A LOT of money (and I love destination weddings) but that is a big ask so you need to be prepared for people to say no.

It might be worth looking at alternative accommodation / flights that people can book so that can be with you for a little less.

We went to a wedding in Grand Cayman and to stay in the resort hotels all inc would have been around that price and none of us could afford that, however an apart hotel just behind the resorts made it about a grand less expensive.....

• Our immediate families have said they will come to our hotel at that price so that is the main thing.  I know it is a lot of money and we aren't expecting everyone to come.  I will have a look at hotels nearby that may be cheaper for them to stay in :)
    MrsTwizbe wrote (see post):

Just a thought - but do they have to be at the same hotel? that is A LOT of money (and I love destination weddings) but that is a big ask so you need to be prepared for people to say no.

It might be worth looking at alternative accommodation / flights that people can book so that can be with you for a little less.

We went to a wedding in Grand Cayman and to stay in the resort hotels all inc would have been around that price and none of us could afford that, however an apart hotel just behind the resorts made it about a grand less expensive.....

• Tara54Tara54 Posts: 1

Hi,

Did you send anything out? We are looking at December 2020 or January 2021 and feel the same. We will be getting married in St Lucia, but want to formalise the timescales to ensure everyone is very clear on it so they have time to save. We think we know the hotel, and have rough costs based on the current prices, and will be booking as soon as dates are available, but not a fixed date so I am hoping to find some sort of poem that I can tailor to work.

Thanks

Tara

• nicole18nicole18 Posts: 160

The sooner they know, the more time they got to save.Even though we have sent our Save the dates 2 years prior to the wedding , finally very few arrived

• LizzieBHLizzieBH Posts: 196

I'd recommend telling everyone informally for now, and then sending save the dates as soon as you have a fixed date – because that's when people will realistically be able to plan for it. You can't book flights more than a year in advance anyway. And then after save the dates, stay in touch with those who are important to you – the problem with sending them so far in advance is that people forget!

• vickie6vickie6 Posts: 2

We sent only the formal invitation1 year before the wedding.No needfor save the date 

• susan158susan158 Posts: 3

save the dates are waste of money in my opinion don't do it.Just send them your invitations