How long were you engaged for? How long did you have to plan your wedding?

For some of you this will be the same, of course!

Just wondering! :)

• Jenni8Jenni8 Posts: 3,202

I will have been engaged for 2 years and 2 weeks.

After we got engaged we didn't publicise it for about a month until we'd told all the important people face-to-face. We started viewing venues after about 6 weeks of being engaged. So 23 months of planning.

We purposely chose it to be that long as we wanted a summer wedding and I was studying summer 2016 so wouldn't have been able to go on honeymoon. Plus we don't want children so there was no rush or anything.

• bella2015bella2015 Posts: 1,903 New bride

We got married nearly 2 years to the day after getting engaged. We booked the venue and church around a month after getting engaged.

We would have liked to get married within a year of getting engaged but we had purchased a house which we were renovating from top to bottom and we couldn't afford to do both in the same year.

• MrsCFMrsCF Posts: 155

We got engaged and after a few weeks started looking at venues, we had booked our venue by the following month and pencilled in the date and confirmed the week after.

We have been planning for 15 months by the time the day comes around in 11 weeks.

I don't think I could have waited any longer and loved the feeling of a wintery wedding, though it has meant a lot of hard work in our parts to pay for the wedding we want.

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I got engaged 28th March 2016 and our wedding is booked for 24th March 2018. We booked our venue about 6 weeks after getting engaged so it will be around 22 months of planning. 

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,591 New bride

We got engaged on 25 November 2015 and get married on 23 March 2017. We didn't start proper planning until January 2016 so it will have been 14 months of planning by the time we're married.

• We got engaged Christmas day 2013. I was 7 weeks pregnant at the time. We booked our venue around 23 March 2015 for 22 October 2016 and then postponed by a year to 22 October 2017 to do much needed work on the house.

So when we get married we'll have been engaged nearly 4 years and planning for over 2 years, although we did take about a 9/10 month break from planning when we postponed.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Got engaged on 1st June 2016 getting married 12th August 2017 so just one year and 2 months for us!

• Bims09Bims09 Posts: 238

We'll have been engaged for 19 months by the time we get married. At first I was studying, had started a new job and we'd just moved house, so we enjoyed being engaged for a while before diving in to the planning at around the 12 month mark!

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Thank you for your replies - it's really interesting to see what other people do! :)

• We got engaged 12th January 2014, i straight away started looking at what we were going to do, by June 2014 we wanted to do it aboard so we told our family and we got married 21st June 2016 was nice time planning it all and then when it came it was all worth it xx

I was wondering whether engagements have become longer as time has gone by - as people often have to save up quite a bit.

• Mrs B2b3Mrs B2b3 Posts: 257

We got engaged on 10th April 2016 and our wedding day is 18th April 2017. We would have liked to get married on the anniversary of our engagement but it wasn't possible.

• Got engaged on the 23rd of July this year,our wedding is October 7th next year. We didn't want to spend more than 5k (hoping to buy a house around our first wedding anniversary) so figured autumn would be much more cost effective than a summer wedding and 14 months is plenty of time to find bargains. 

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

We got engaged May half term last year, and got married October 20th this year. I'm a teacher so had to plan it round holidays, was a longer engagement than we would have liked, we've been together 7 years, but it came round in no time! 

I'm a teacher too - it does restrict the timings a bit! And makes honeymoons expensive! 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Weve been engaged for 3 years in march, but I found out I was pregnant a few weeks after getting engaged, so we focused on other things until this year.

We did book a venue in march (was supposed to be for april 2017) so that would have been 13 months planning, but we cancelled it after 7 or 8 months because we hated it and what the wedding was becoming.

We have an idea of where we want to get married now, but no idea when because Im doing a course atm, and OH wants to buy a house so we will see. Its seems like one of them things thats always going to be a low priority 😂

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

By the time we get married we will have been engaged for 2 years, 2 months.

I feel like we are waiting quite a long time considering we started planning quite soon after our engagement but my sister and H2B sister are both getting married in 2017 and therefore we wanted to wait until the year after. We felt this would be more special and fairer on my Mum who wanted to buy both our dresses! The months are flying by! 

• we got engaged on Christmas day 2015, and got married 3 weeks ago, so just 10 months for us!  the time flew by, but would love to do it all again.... if we had the money for it!!! x

• Dora3Dora3 Posts: 1,218

We got engaged January 2011. We are getting married may 2017. We always knew we wanted to own our own home before we got married and set a date this year and started planning exactly a year to the date we get married. 

• 15 months in total because I got engaged on my birthday (February) and always wanted a May wedding. By the end I was SO ready to get married already!

• We got engaged Sept 2015 and get married June 2017. We didnt start any wedding planning until May 2016 so just over a year to plan. 

• MrsTwizbeMrsTwizbe Posts: 3,347 New bride

We got engaged Sept 2010 and married in July 2011. I did not want to wait around. 10 months almost to the day between.

• TadpoleTadpole Posts: 2,134

We got engaged on Christmas Eve 2012 and married July 2014. Felt like it absolutely flew past!

x

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

We got engaged in June 2015 and our wedding is May 2017.  We started planning at the start of this year and we are done with only the finishing touches left to do at the start of next year. xx

• We got engaged November 30th 2015, started planning mid-January and got married 25th July 2016, so in total planning was about 6 and a half months. 

• MashMash Posts: 73

We got engaged Christmas 2013.... just started planning for our wedding in May 2018 ... been together since May 2007 

• EJS1982EJS1982 Posts: 664

Engaged October 2015, married July 2016 so 8 months. Plenty of time and I couldn't have waited longer to marry my best friend!

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

We got engaged on 20th July 2015 and got married 31st July 2016. I think we did quite well to do it in a year considering that I'm a teacher and had limited summer holiday dates that I could go for! That said, we had everything in place to organise a wedding - we booked our venue exactly a week after getting engaged!

I'm glad we took the plunge and organised it in a year, as I was worried that we may struggle with securing our preferred suppliers. If I had waited until summer 2017, we would've been fitting our own wedding and honeymoon around three other good friends' weddings - all are getting married in August next year! Now I can just enjoy them without worrying about my own  x

There's quite a variety in engagement lengths... I wonder if any of you knew you were going to get engaged and kind of planned that oo - or whether your proposal was a surprise?

I'm finding all your replies so interesting, thank you!

• Thirdtimearound wrote (see post):

There's quite a variety in engagement lengths... I wonder if any of you knew you were going to get engaged and kind of planned that oo - or whether your proposal was a surprise?

I'm finding all your replies so interesting, thank you!

I knew he was going to propose before our third anniversary but it was a surprise when he did it 4   months before, he threw me off by asking opinions on rings saying it d take a few weeks for him to be ready to order it and he proposed that week. He got a text to pick it up and there and then decided he d propose that day after work.