Accessories time

Hi everyone,

Sorry this is probably repeating lots of threads but I'd like to start looking for my accessories soon!

I can't decide between getting a nice pair of high street shoes or a designer pair (I haven't ever bought any designer shoes before so part of me feels less guilty to do it for this). What brands have you looked at for yours, high street and designer?

Are you going for a tiara, hair piece, vine, comb - how did you decide?! Is it best to bring your dress along and if you've picked online how well did that go!? Which brands did you look at? So much to choose from!

Finally veils... they are crazy expensive but I sort of have my heart set on cathedral length, the dress shops only ever seem to have a few different styles in... but again online seems like it will need a lot of courage - where did you find or are you looking for yours?

• MrsE2016MrsE2016 Posts: 1,207 New bride

My shoes were Jenny Packham at Debenhams in the sale & they were really comfortable! Originally I wanted a pair of Jimmy Choos  but I could not justify spending that much money on something that essentially only I would know I was wearing. I think if i'd have been wearing a tea length dress i'd definitely have treated myself!

By all means if you have the money treat yourself to a pair of designer shoes - be aware that some designers (JC, Louboutins) are notoriously uncomfortable but I know some brides on here have had some success breaking them in & making them more comfortable. Bridal shoe brands (Rainbow Club etc) are popular for a reason because they are so comfortable, which is definitely important when you spend so much time on your feet on your wedding day! I don't regret not buying a pair of designer shoes - I intend to treat myself at a later date :-) 

I chose all my accessories online - I bought a headband from Melissa Morgan Designs on Notonthehighstreet & my veil was from Britten. I had a church length, cut edge drop veil. My dress was lace & had sleeves so I didn't want anything too detailed. It was a leap of faith but they have a great returns policy!

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,701 New bride

I would try on accessories with your dress in a shop- and then buy them elsewhere as the bridal shop will charge you over the odds for them. They should have a variety for you to try, even if just to get the correct length of veil etc.

Shoes wise, if you can do high heels then the world is your oyster as there are sooooo many pretty ones, both designer and high street. I'm a wuss with heels so went for Rainbow Club which have a huge variety of styles, and they will dye them to order as well.

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

I've gone for some Jimmy Choos. They aren't uncomfortable, disagree with the post above. Louboutins on the other hand are a different story! I got them in silver so that I will be able to wear them again. I want to feel a million dollars on my wedding day, it doesn't matter to me that not everyone will see them! And I got them in the sale for a good price! If you buy veils and accessories online you could go try them on at the shop provided they have a good returns policy. You could look on websites such as preloved for a veil. 

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I got high street shoes, plain, to be glittered white, and I have shoe clips.

My hair comb was found by chance. I thought I wanted a tiara and browsed for weeks, everywhere I could think of, but didnt see anything I liked. Then someone on facebook liked a picture of a big impressive intricate sparkly head thing, so I followed the page and saw a comb I loved, but it was more than double my budget. It eventually went on special offer so I bought it.

Earrings are Mikey because Ive always loved their earrings.

My veil I got off ebay for £11. I always said I would do that, and it was reinforced when the bridal shop put a single tier plain cathedral veil on me and I saw a tag saying £160. Not a chance! To me its a strip of fabric with a comb stitched on, it looks nice but will probably get trodden on, and will be taken off and forgotten about forever more.

• Ambam19Ambam19 Posts: 582 New bride

I agree that my jimmy chop courts are soooo much more comfortable than my louboutin courts but I do also have a pair of soft leather louboutins that are really comfy, they're a sandal though which also helps

U can always buy online and send it back if it's poor quality, I do think that often veils are way overpriced in wedding shops as you're caught in the moment and they have a captive audience. 

• I have gone for rainbow club Elspeth, they are gorgeous and so far so comfortable. They match my dress as is, but I will have them dyed navy afterwards so I can wear them for work.

I love designer shoes but for my big day, comfort is the number one priority for me. I have owned several pairs of Jimmy Choos over the years and I cant imagine getting through a whole day in them  and at that cost I would be crippled rather than swap them out for bare feet or flats. 

However, that said everyones feet are different, high arches, low arches, if you normally wear high heels, or low heels and its personal preference ask yourself can you afford them, will you go over budget and do you need them, is your day going to be made special because you have spent £300+ on a pair of shoes you will only wear once. 

• LucykinsLucykins Posts: 701

I always wanted some Irregular Choice shoes so I got a white glittery pair with a mid heel; I dont usually wear heels and I didn't want to be struggling to walk so I wanted some which felt sturdy!

I also got some white Doc Marten heeled boots which I'm probably going to wear in the evening for the ceilidh, same heel height as the Irregular Choice heels but even more sturdy to dance in. My aunt twisted her ankle at the ceilidh at my parents' wedding so I need something I can dance confidently in. My friend works for Doc Martens and can do customised designs on them so the hope was for her to customise them but haven't got round to that yet. 

• NikkiMNikkiM Posts: 1,653 New bride

I originally had a pair of shoes from BHS. Then I kept thinking about Jimmy Choos and couldn't get them out of my head. I bought a pair from a discount outlet and I love them. Plus they are exactly the right height for my dress whereas my BHS ones were too small and would have meant my dress needed shortening. The alterations lady told me I would have spent hundreds having my dress shortened so I've justified the cost of Jimmy Choos that way. 

I would say don't feel like you have to buy designer shoes just because it's your wedding day. Look around and see what shoes take your fancy. If they're designer and you can afford them and are likely to wear them again, why not? But equally there are some beautiful non designer shoes which look even better than the designer ones. 

Accessories - I got my jewellery/hair comb in Debenhams from the Jon Richards range. All in the sale too.

Veil - online. I'm only wearing it for a few hours. It's coming off after the photos so I didn't want to spend a lot. I used a website called Embellish the Dress. £30 for a fingertip veil and it suits my dress perfectly. The bridal shops seem expensive so it's definitely worth shopping around once you know what you want.

• MrsDee7MrsDee7 Posts: 272 New bride

Ooh now you're onto a really exciting bit!

I can't comment too much on shoes as I have a vertically challenged (but very muscular and handsome ) H2B and will be rocking a pair of flats on the day, but I may have some suggestions for veils and other bits and bobs.

I'm also going for a cathedral length veil and was rather disgusted to find out that the one I tried on in the bridal shop I bought my dress from was £400! I've heard great things about The Wedding Veil Shop (based in the UK) on here and contacted them about a bespoke veil last week. They take a couple of days to get back to you, but the lady I spoke with has been super helpful. She has literally been back and forth with me every day since and has quoted £103 for a much nicer veil than the one I tried on. They send out samples for free so you can see their materials and colour match the veil to your dress. Failing that, you might get an even bigger bargain on Etsy. The 2 sellers I've been looking at on there are BlancaVeils and BeccasBridalBoutique. 

As for your hair, I think you'd have to decide what hair style you're going for and take it from there. I'm going for a vine just because the girl modelling the hair style I want was wearing one! I don't have much imagination with my hair, so play to your strengths I say 

• Ohh! I will most certainly check out the wedding veil shop online and order some samples to compare to my dress when it arrives.

A couple of months ago I was very keen to get picking but I've been told I'm acting too fast for my wedding/s July and August as we're having two parties one small and one main one in Cyprus. So now waiting patiently for my dress to arrive in April. 

Shoes wise good to hear the different opinions. I am sort of leaning to choosing a pair of Jimmy Choos. I did want Badgley Mishcka but have heard they are very painful. I haven't owned anything that expensive in terms of shoes before so would choose a colour I can wear on other special occasions in the future. Still open minded to other options but have heard from quite a few people that Louboutins are a killer - having witnessed my friend trying them on I'm fairly sure my feet won't fit in them! Might also buy a pair of cheap pretty low heeled summer sandals to change into when it gets too much... I don't know how I used to get about in heels all day in my late teens/early twenties. Fat chance of that now!

I am really in two minds still about tiaras,/hair vines combs. The lucky thing about having more than one party is I can do a different style on each day!

• I'm having pretty much the same dilemma about shoes. Do I spend not a great amount on shoes that I will definitely only wear once, or do I treat myself to a pair of Jimmy Choos (I really had my heart set on Monolo Blahnik but have heard they are as uncomfortable as CL) that I will wear again - at the moment, JCs are winning, but I'm still waiting until closer to the wedding to see if the ones I want go into the sale.

I can't really advise on accessories as I think I'm only going to be having a veil and earring - veil from bridal shop and probably just some swarovski earrings. I hate shopping so I usually go with what's the easiest option.

• MrsStobe4 wrote (see post):

I can't really advise on accessories as I think I'm only going to be having a veil and earring - veil from bridal shop and probably just some swarovski earrings. I hate shopping so I usually go with what's the easiest option.

Sometimes I think the easiest choice is the best even if it costs some more (within reason), because you get to enjoy the wedding for what it is. One day in your life that you are meant to enjoy! The more you panic about the smaller details the worse you make life for yourself.

My fiance's sister got married last December and she just chose details without any fuss or to-ing and fro-ing and really had a lovely day. Made me wonder if my pernickity approach is worth it! However, I do enjoy fussing over the little details so each to their own!

• MissSummer wrote (see post):
    MrsStobe4 wrote (see post):

Sometimes I think the easiest choice is the best even if it costs some more (within reason), because you get to enjoy the wedding for what it is. One day in your life that you are meant to enjoy! The more you panic about the smaller details the worse you make life for yourself.

My fiance's sister got married last December and she just chose details without any fuss or to-ing and fro-ing and really had a lovely day. Made me wonder if my pernickity approach is worth it! However, I do enjoy fussing over the little details so each to their own!

I have found that to be honest, that the easiest option usually costs the most, which is probably why I ended up with a dress double my budget because I loved it, I hate shopping, and it was easier to say yes to that dress rather than arrange more shopping days to find a dress I loved equally as much in my budget - that just seemed too much like hard work. 

But if you take pleasure in the finer details then I say optimise it for your wedding! You won't get a better reason to do it!

• MissSummer wrote (see post):

Hi everyone,

Sorry this is probably repeating lots of threads but I'd like to start looking for my accessories soon!

I can't decide between getting a nice pair of high street shoes or a designer pair (I haven't ever bought any designer shoes before so part of me feels less guilty to do it for this). What brands have you looked at for yours, high street and designer?

Are you going for a tiara, hair piece, vine, comb - how did you decide?! Is it best to bring your dress along and if you've picked online how well did that go!? Which brands did you look at? So much to choose from!

Finally veils... they are crazy expensive but I sort of have my heart set on cathedral length, the dress shops only ever seem to have a few different styles in... but again online seems like it will need a lot of courage - where did you find or are you looking for yours?

If you can't have designer on your wedding day when can you?! That's my mantra! I'll be getting a new pair of Jimmy Choos. Loubs are VERY uncomfortable. I've got a pair that I can only wear for about 20 mins (going out for dinner shoes!) Jimmy Choo offer lots of lovely bridal styles in different heel heights and in colours that you can wear again. 

Hair piece I've decided to go full out and get something made by Melancholy Magpie- BEAUTIFUL designs but not cheap. The quality looks fantastic though and I'd like to think I can pass this item down. 

Veils I am clueless! You can order samples from The Wedding Veil Shop though which is helpful. Try on in a boutique to get an idea of length but then buy online at a lower price :)