A wedding in a library - September 2017

Hello everyone! I've finally started a planning thread; better late than never eh.

I'll be getting married on 9th September this year, and as the title suggests, the ceremony is in a library! But more on that later...

How we met

We actually met on Facebook. It was back in 2008 and in those days you could find people in your area with similar interests. My fiancé and I are both rock music fans and he came across me when looking to see if anyone nearby liked a band called Nightwish. He sent me a message just asking if I'd been to the Nightwish concert that weekend. I replied and we chatted online more and more, mostly about our eclectic music tastes! We started to become really good friends.

We went to the same university so I suggested he should come along to the university rock music society for a night out at a rock club with me and my friends. He came along and we met in person. We continued to be good friends for a while. Eventually he asked me out and I said no, as I didn't see him in that way, but after a few weeks I changed my mind and asked him out this time! The rest, as they say, is history.

The proposal

My fiancé and I had been together for 8 years so after such a long wait he knew I was hoping for something really special. Over the years he has done a lot of amazing romantic things to surprise me (took me to a beautiful country house hotel in Scotland for our first Valentine's Day, took me on a lovely holiday around France for my 21st) so basically by being so lovely for all those years he set the expectations for the proposal quite high!

So around a year ago my fiancé suggested we could go to Niagara Falls on holiday. Immediately I was excited and began thinking this could be it! Over the coming months he started acting slightly odd (seemed excited about something for no apparent reason) so I became more and more sure that he was planning something.

The holiday arrived and off we went, but after a few days no proposal. I began to doubt myself. I'd built myself up so much that I would have been upset if it didn't happen.

I wanted to go to this restaurant where it's up a huge tower overlooking the falls and the restaurant revolves so you get a 360 degree view. There'd been no sign of him planning anything at this point so I thought, I'll just book the restaurant myself. We went up and had a lovely meal overlooking the falls but still no proposal.

After the meal, we went for a wander and I suggested walking over to where the Canadian horseshoe falls are. I decided to go and sit up in this little quiet spot we found where you get a great view of the falls but no one else is around. I was wearing a nice new dress so I gave my fiancé my camera and said "Can you take a picture of me in my new dress?" He said "I've got the perfect thing to complete your outfit" and bent down on one knee with the ring! Then he said "Lucy, my best friend, will you marry me?" and of course I said yes.

The rest of the trip was really romantic and felt a bit like being on honeymoon! We enjoyed keeping our news to ourselves for a little bit before telling family and friends when we got back home. 

Here's one of our photos from the trip - we saw an amazing rainbow!

• LucykinsLucykins Posts: 701

The ring

My fiancé chose the ring and I love the fact that it's a bit different. The twisty design makes me think it looks a bit celtic, which is quite apt as my family and I are very into folk music.

It was rather huge as I have tiny fingers, so we had to order it specially in my size. It took about 11 weeks to arrive, which felt like forever, and I didn't get to show it off for ages!

I also bought him an engagement present which was a smart pair of Doc Martens shoes :) 

• Ha, Nightwish! That takes me back! Beautiful ring. Look forward to hearing more.

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Gorgeous proposal story and gorgeous engagement ring. 

The ceremony venue

Obviously the title of this thread is a bit of a clue: our wedding ceremony will be in a library! I actually had the venue in mind before we even got engaged. It was the only place I could think of that felt just right. We aren't church goers, and I wanted something personal to us as a couple.

This was a venue we had been to several times before for cultural events. We both love books, and I studied English. To me, having a library is kind of like a church but instead of religion it's about celebrating words, learning and culture.

This particular library is part of an institute for mining and mechanical engineering, which was a great way to represent my fiancé's family as a lot of them were miners. His grandparents and other family who were miners sadly died long ago. Having the wedding in the mining institute is our nod to them, which makes it even more meaningful.

So without further ado, I present our beautiful library:

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Oo, I'm a September bride too! 

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Oh wow! Amazing venue!

Thank you everyone for your nice comments! :) Hails, what date is yours?

The reception venue

With our hearts set on the ceremony venue, we next set out to find a reception venue. We wanted somewhere we could put our own stamp on, and we also wanted to be able to invite as many of our friends and family as possible without it costing an absolute fortune! It also had to be a large venue as I was hoping for a ceilidh, with me and my family being very into traditional music. We basically wanted somewhere where we could create our own music festival!

I looked into various options and I had my heart set on this brewery by a lake.

It really is a lovely venue, but unfortunately had a bit of a high price tag for us, so we had to keep looking...

The reception venue (continued)

I continued to research venues but it just seemed like every venue had so many extra costs, and nothing was grabbing me.

Finally, I found a blank canvas wedding venue with a similar industrial feel to the brewery, but with a much lower price tag. We could have as many guests as we liked, we could choose our own caterers and suppliers, and it was HUGE so loads of space to ceilidh dance! 

We went to see it and we knew it was just what we were looking for.

So we booked both venues and now we needed to find the decorations, caterers etc to actually bring the venue to life!

I'm the 23 and so is Moggle! When are you?

Hails wrote (see post):

I'm the 23 and so is Moggle! When are you?

The 9th :) We liked the idea of the date being 0909.

Although I may live to regret it as the wedding is in central Newcastle and we've chosen the day before the great north run which will be super busy. I've had worries about that, but it was the date that worked best for us and hopefully in reality it will be fine. 

• Fabulous library! Both your venue's look lovely.

Thank you Mrsseebe2be :)

09/09 is easy to remember which is good for guests. It's nice to see a planning thread from you!

Hails wrote (see post):

09/09 is easy to remember which is good for guests. It's nice to see a planning thread from you!

Good for guests and good for husband remembering our anniversary haha!

Thank you :)

• I love your Library and reception venue. Love love love this thread.

• Lucykins wrote (see post):

You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your planning thread - you're getting married the week before me. 😀

The photographer

One of the next things we got sorted was the photographer. Initially I wanted to keep the wedding budget reasonably low (oh, how the budget has expanded since then!) so I wasn't expecting to pay a huge amount for a photographer. We have a couple of pals who are into photography so thought we might be able to ask someone to help.

But then I started researching. And in particular, I looked at the photographer who took the picture of the library that I've posted above. The more I saw of his work, the more I loved it. He doesn't just do weddings; he also does commercial work and artistic work, and his pictures really stood out for me. He was free on 9th September, so we met him and snapped him up! So that was probably the first thing that totally blew the budget haha! 

His name is Sean Elliott, and he mainly works in the documentary kind of style. Hopefully we should get some lovely creative shots, and plus I know that he will be able to get some beautiful shots that make the most of the venue.

Here is his sample gallery:

https://seanelliottphotography.shootproof.com/gallery/1289433/ 

FutureMrsSToBe wrote (see post):

I love your Library and reception venue. Love love love this thread.

Yay, thanks for the thread love! :D

Mrsseebe2be wrote (see post):
    Lucykins wrote (see post):

You're welcome! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your planning thread - you're getting married the week before me. 😀

Ah yay, lots of September weddings! The forum will be awash with wedding reports haha! 

• August18August18 Posts: 247

Love a new planning thread! 

Cant wait to hear more. Both be venues are lovely! Your ring is beautiful too xx

Be prepared for some serious stalkage off me haha

Haha! A friend at work went to a wedding at the exact same venues as ours at the weekend and I was doing some serious stalking to see how they did everything! Stalking is definitely a key planning skill.

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

Hi lucykins 

i love the idea of a library venue it reminds of the film page master!  

Your ring is lush its so pretty, and yes very celtic!  

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556

Beautiful ring lucykins and I love that you're getting married in a library, how awesome! Your library looks amazing, can't wait to read more about your planning 

Haha! A friend at work went to a wedding at the exact same venues as ours at the weekend and I was doing some serious stalking to see how they did everything! Stalking is definitely a key planning skill.

Oh definitely. It's where some of the best ideas come from :)

The band 

Since music is what got us together, and is one of our main joint interests, the next big thing was booking a ceilidh band.

I've been ceilidh dancing pretty much since I could walk, and my mum actually has a band which does weddings (she calls the dances) but she and the other band members are based hundreds of miles away.

I ideally wanted the type of band that we would see at a festival, so we picked a band called Blackbeard's Tea Party. Theg were named 'the band to see' at Glastonbury festival by the Huffington Post, and they're a well known name in the folk world so I had them in mind very early on.

The band couldn't commit to any dates in the summer because they play a lot of festivals, so we picked 9th September and luckily it suited the band, venues and photographer. So then we fixed a date and got them all booked.

The shoes

My shoes were one of the first things I excitedly bought - in fact, I think I got them before we booked the actual wedding! 

I had wanted some Irregular Choice shoes for ages and I had my heart set on these:

I had lusted after them for years before getting engaged, but didn't buy them as they are clearly a wedding shoe! 

So I excitedly headed to town dead set on buying them, but when I tried them on I just knew I wasn't going to be comfortable. I don't usually wear heels and they felt sooo high.

I was a bit disappointed but I kept looking and found these Irregular Choice shoes instead. They look even sparklier in real life so they still feel special, and they are so comfortable and a good height for me. I would have been so miserable if my shoes had rubbed all day!

My friend works for Doc Martens and can freehand customise shoes, so I also got some white Doc heels off eBay, the same height as the Irregular Choice. I'm not sure if she is going to get around to customising them, but either way they will be sturdy shoes for the ceilidh. My aunt twisted her ankle ceilidhing at my parents' wedding, so sturdy shoes are a must!

The dress

I started dress shopping in August last year, and didn't actually order a dress until December, so it was a long old hunt! 

Like most of my plans, I didn't aim to spend too much, and thought it was crazy to spend such a lot on something I'd wear once.

With that in mind, my first appointment was at a second hand dress shop, where I hoped to find a bargain, but had no luck. It probably wasn't the best shop to start out with, as they obviously didn't have a full selection of dresses, and I hadn't done enough research at this point to have a firm idea of what I wanted.

I then ordered this dress off eBay for £100. I loved it in the photos and was keen to save money, but it really wasn't special enough in real life so I sent it back.

I love period dramas and years before getting engaged, I'd lusted after dresses by a dressmaker called Uptight Clothing. She makes bespoke dresses with corsets so they're really different and alternative looking.

I enquired but they are specially made so way more expensive than I was prepared to pay. I knew I wanted a full skirt a bit like that though, with the little box pleats that make it look a little bit like an 18th or 19th century dress- but probably not green!

I kept on with the search and at one bridal shop, the assistant encouraged me to try something which I hadn't previously considered as I wasn't sure about the neckline. It was Ronald Joyce Jodie:

As soon as I put it on, I really liked it. It looked really princessy and regal, and the skirt has the little pleats. That photo actually doesn't do it justice as it's even nicer in real life. However, I tried it on 3 times in 3 different shops (sometimes with my mum, sometimes on my own, as she lives quite far away) and I still couldn't seem to commit...

The dress (continued)

So I'd got to a point where I'd visited 9 different bridal shops and tried 50+ dresses, and although I liked the Jodie dress I didn't have that moment of being sure it was 'the one'.

I was reading a forum one day (I think probably this one) about Essense of Australia brides and had a glance through. I saw a dress which I then couldn't get out of my mind and started researching to find more photos of it on a real bride. It incorporated some of the elements of other dresses I'd tried on and liked, and I just knew I had to try it.

There aren't many Essense stockists in our region so to try the dress on, I had to pay £40 to get it specially ordered in. As soon as I tried it in though, I totally had that 'the one' moment with tears in my eyes, and my bridesmaid got goosebumps! The style is called d1790 (sadly Essense dresses don't have very imaginative names!).

I will probably wear it with a thinner belt to show more of the lace bodice. None of the real brides I've seen have actually used the original belt. The lace on the back is lovely so I will probably wear my hair up to show it off nicely.

As with all wedding dresses, I kinda think it looks different in real life than on the model photo. We couldn't take a photo of me in it, so I had a look on their real brides web page and on Instagram and managed to find some photos of real brides in it to help me remember what it's really like. One bride in particular, I've spent so much time looking at pictures of her wedding that I almost feel like I was at her wedding haha! 

After all that searching, I finally paid for the dress in December and it should arrive in around May. Eek!