2018 diet buddies - have less in The Dress!

So as per my previous thread, any 2018 brides that want to diet together please post and join in!!!

So - if I go first!  I used to be very overweight - at my biggest I was a size 20 and weighted 17 stone.  After some health issues I started going to the gym (after trying ever. single. fad diet out there and failing miserably) and following a "clean" diet with one weekly cheat.  Weight trained 3-4 times a week, very little cardio and I lost 7 stone - did a bodybuilding figure competition and then settled at a normal weight of 11.5-12stone.  All was well... Then I had surgery in 2015 and got right out of the gym routine and I am now sitting at 14stone 7lb :(

See I am naturally lazy person.  I liked going to the gym when I was slimmer - now the sight of me in the mirrors makes me want to poke my eyes out with sticks.  So, I am back eating clean, doing cardio and weight training 3-4 times a week again.  So far its a struggle to motivate myself to go to the gym but my PT is very good.  She is taking before pics of me this evening so we can keep a visual record. She will probably measure me as well and then I will weigh in at the weekend for the first "weeks" result.

The diet I follow is around 100 calories and is the stereotypical chicken, beef mince, rice, veg/salad, salmon that people mock bodybuilders for but for me (when I follow it) it really works.

I will preface by saying I am NOT a PT but I have been training for 6 years and can help people with general gym related stuff and also diets and so forth.  Please ask me any questions if you have any, share any tips you have, and maybe post a little about yourself so we can get to know our diet buddies a little better :) x

• I'll join!  I get married in April 2018.  I don't have a huge amount to lose (around 7 lbs or so) but I would like to tone up and get smaller, particularly my arms and waist.  A flat stomach wouldn't be unpleasant either.

My problem is that I am a self-concious exerciser, so find it quite difficult to do anything on my own.  My H2B goes to the gym everyday, so most of the time I can tag along and I like that.  As soon as he goes away/can't go/doesn't go then I just wuss out.  At the moment I am managing 3 to 4 gym trips a week which I am pleased with.

Also I find that I make good food choices through the week and then shove all the things in my face at the weekend, so I would like to be a bit more sensible at the weekends.

Hopefully seeing everyone else do well on here will encourage me to stick with it.

• MrsW-22MrsW-22 Posts: 354 New bride

Can I join? I probably have a lot more to loose than most but some motivation and support would really help me to get going. 

I'm currently  18 stone 8lbs. I'm also 5ft 2 so carrying far too much weight. I'm one of life's stress eaters and struggle with portion size and control as I was raised very much on the "finish your plate" mentality that meant I was eating full adult portions before I was 10. 

I have been in shape before (around 9 stone) and I have run the London marathon. So that's not the issue. With me at the moment it's very much that getting started that is hard. My OH is very supportive but doesn't want to be tough with me incase it damages my very fragile self confidence. 

I hate how I look. And the desire to change is there... the will power and the staying power is what I'm really struggling with at the moment. I've started several times. Lost as much as a stone. Then slipped again. I'm frustrated with myself. 😓

Current weight : 161.4lbs

Wedding date 29th August 2018. 

I Don't have a target weight. Just a desire to loose as much as possible. 

• RJM19RJM19 Posts: 21

Hi! I'd like to join too! 

I get married in May 2018. im similar to you MrsP as I only have around 7lbs to lose. I chose my wedding dress at the weekend and noticed I really need to work on my arms and I'd also like a slightly more pert bum haha! 

Mostly I really want to focus on toning. I (try to) run 3-4 times a week - min. 6 miles but life often gets in the way. 

my issue is always portion sizes - pretty sure I eat more than my 6'3" H2B and I'm almost a foot shorter! I also can hardly ever say "no" to bad food...I'm so weak!

hopefully we'll be able to motivate each other on here :) 

MissDukes you've lost the weight before, you can do it again!! Keep at it and you'll get there. Also when you say 100 calories....I'm hoping this is a typo?! 

• I'll join! I get married in March 2018 and would ideally like to lose between 1.5 and 2 stone. I was ill over Christmas and put a bit of weight on so basically I want to lose what I've gained.  Feeling impossible at the moment though, doesn't seem to be shifting! 😢

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 821

Hi ladies. Can I join please. Getting married next July, I've chosen my dress and said to them that I was about half a stone heavier than I want to be, well I've since weighed myself and I've put in a stone so I need to lose that.

I used to exercise a lot and was super fit and toned. My dress is strapless so I want to get that definition back in my arms/back. I've started running again and have weights at home so I'm going to do my own routine at home. I love spinning and plan to join a gym after the summer so that I can add spinning in. I also find that I eat much better when I'm training, like you Miss.Dukes I like to follow a clean diet as much as possible. 

Hopefully we can all spur each other on.

• SpacepuffinSpacepuffin Posts: 664

Count me in. Got about 10lb to shift and a lot of toning to do. If only bed was less cosy in the morning and I could drag myself out.....

ETA - I'm March 2018

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 979

I'll join! I get married in November 2018! And have another stone and a half to loose before then.

At my heaviest I was just under 14 stone! I signed up for Slimming World in March 2016 (after also trying every fad diet and quick fix out there, so when I joined it was REALLY sceptical!) But I was so amazed when it worked! I've lost 2stone 1lb so far, and now weigh 11st 10lb - I'm also at the gym, but can be a very lazy person too so need to get into a routine with it all I think!

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride

hello ladies.  I am 2019, but have a ton to lose so am starting now.  Hopefully it will be ok to join in this one.  

I am naturally lazy, and also travel a lot for work (to the USA) so do really well when I am in the UK, but then mess it up Stateside.  My goal is to lose 10 stone.  I know I can do it- I have lost a lot of weight in the past, but after some major stresses in my personal life I put it all, and more back on.  My motivation is not only my wedding, but we are hoping to get pregnant very soon- we have been trying for a few years now with nothing.

I am going to the gym every morning which I HATE.  On top of that I am following Slimming World, and weighing in every week... at Weight Watchers!  I get that free through my work medical insurance, so kind of makes sense, but I know the SW plan from having done it in the past.  

Anyway, that is my story :-)  Look forward to the motivation from everyone.  

• August18August18 Posts: 247

i will join is that ok! I dont have alot of weight to loose, about 9lbs but i do have tummy issues after the birth of my son (who is now 6) my tummy muscles separated (diastasis recti) and it has left me with a permanent 3 month baby bump and back issues. I have downloaded a special work out plan, its a 12 week system but you then continue it afterwards. My wedding dress is very fitted so would like a flat tummy a better bum and increase tone all round

Wedding date 31/08/18

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Can I join? I'm a March bride. I would like to lose about 2 stone. This is mainly for health issues,I have high blood pressure. 

I was doing really well, going to the gym twice a week and dieting well. Unfortunately I broke my wrist in February resulting in surgery. I am now 3 months into recovery and struggling. I feel very fragile at the moment, any little thing can set me off crying. My weight being one issue. 

I am hoping to get back into the gym in the next month, even if it's just on the treadmill, bike and cross trainer. Before my accident I had just started doing weights to tone my arms but I am aware that weights won't be part of my exercise routine for quite a while yet. 

My main problem is portion control. I am now making a conscious effort to reduce this, I've swapped to a smaller plate and that seems to be helping. 

• MissDukesMissDukes Posts: 74

Good morning ladies!!!  Lovely to see so many of you wanting to join in and motivate each other! 

So, does anyone keep a food diary?  Or track what they eat each day and weigh their food? 

Also, has anyone thought of making a diary of their daily routine to see where they have time that they could use for a bit of exercise? 

Lastly, does anyone bulk cook food for their daytime meals, so that it is ready and therefore avoids the "Oh I have nothing in the fridge, I will grab a salad at work" which then turns into a meal which only has salad on it as a garnish lolol??  I used to be terrible at that - I have very little impulse control when it comes to food :(

Hey MissDukes- I don't keep a food diary, but I am aware of what I eat, and know when I am being "bad"  I have been consistently losing 2-3lb per week since going to the gym so kind of figured if I hit a plateau, or gain regularly for no reason, that is the point I will start with the diary.

Routine wise- nope, not thought of that, but personally I don't think it would work for me as I really don't have much free time.  I get up at 5.30 for the gym, then straight to the office, home around 7, and then the rest of the evening is taken up with cooking, food prep, and getting stuff ready for work.

I def bulk cook for daytime meals.  I have a big appetite and so like to have a substantial lunch.  On a Sunday I go shopping and buy a minimum of 5 types of fruit that I take to work for the week.  I snack on those.  For lunches I either have leftovers, or prep something specific.  Eggs are a good one, as is a big stirfry, noodles, or something like that.  To get my salad in I make it as a starter, and do a big bowl a few times a week.  Every dinner starts either with the salad, or a veggie soup.  I find I don't eat as much then.  

• August18August18 Posts: 247

I now use my fitness pal (ap) you can enter in your food and drink or scan bar codes it tracks your steps and you can enter in any exercise you've done. 

I have a fitbit which I love, my new one also has gps so I use this when I run. I always do 10,000 steps but try to keep it nearer to 15,000. Now that the weather is better I'm hoping I can do 20,000. Until recently I was living abroad and never did less than 20,000 steps but the constant sunshine made it easier! 

I don't weigh food, tend to eat lots of salad, fish, eggs and stir frys. Have you my fitness pal in the past which is great for keeping count on calories.

• GillP2GillP2 Posts: 332

Wow VegasLou That is impressive.  I go to the gym every morning, and normally only just hit 10k, and that isn't every day!  I do have a sedentary job though.  Today I am on 5556, but just off for a walk!

britbird wrote (see post):

Wow VegasLou That is impressive.  I go to the gym every morning, and normally only just hit 10k, and that isn't every day!  I do have a sedentary job though.  Today I am on 5556, but just off for a walk!

I'm lucky my job is active and I have a dog that needs walking. It would be a different story if I had a desk job!

Oh I'm a wedding addict now! Clearly spending too much time on here😂

Hey MissDukes- I don't keep a food diary, but I am aware of what I eat, and know when I am being "bad"  I have been consistently losing 2-3lb per week since going to the gym so kind of figured if I hit a plateau, or gain regularly for no reason, that is the point I will start with the diary.

Routine wise- nope, not thought of that, but personally I don't think it would work for me as I really don't have much free time.  I get up at 5.30 for the gym, then straight to the office, home around 7, and then the rest of the evening is taken up with cooking, food prep, and getting stuff ready for work.

I def bulk cook for daytime meals.  I have a big appetite and so like to have a substantial lunch.  On a Sunday I go shopping and buy a minimum of 5 types of fruit that I take to work for the week.  I snack on those.  For lunches I either have leftovers, or prep something specific.  Eggs are a good one, as is a big stirfry, noodles, or something like that.  To get my salad in I make it as a starter, and do a big bowl a few times a week.  Every dinner starts either with the salad, or a veggie soup.  I find I don't eat as much then.  

Your day is very similar to mine - up for morning cardio at my local gym (thank god for being able to watch Suits to distract myself) then off to work.  Usually at the gym in the evening for 6pm for a weights session and another (shorter) cardio session.

I tend to bulk cook a lot of food - my protein source but my breakfast at the moment is some egg muffins I make and then soaked oats - I love them!  I think you have already squeezed as much into your ay as you could.  I always used to wonder how people found time or the gym but I don't watch TV now really so I guess that's how I spent it before I started gyming!!

@gillp2 weekends are the worst time for me.  During the week DF and I are pretty good with meal prep etc but we don't prep for the weekend so we end up just grabbing whatever - so this Friday we are going to make sure that we have plenty of prepped food over the weekend so we have just one meal off and the rest is on plan.

@vegaslou we have a dog with us from Saturday morning so we have some nice walks planned.  Sadly I have an office job so I need to get my lazy backside out and active!!

@august18 I used to have that but I found the notifications were SO annoying - it might not have been that one but a similar now I think of it....

@futuremrsthomas I would still include regular weights sessions as you can work your leg muscles and so on and as muscle is so metabolically active it will help with calorie burning.  I also think I have seen some slings you can use around your forearms on cable machines that you can use to have a weights workout without putting pressure on your wrist.  I will see if I can find a link

MissDukes 
    I am so glad someone else watches stuff in the gym!  I feel like I am the only one when I am on the cross trainer watching iplayer!  Wow, that is impressive with the 2 sessions.  I just don't think I could do that in terms of time, although at times I wish I could.  
    I am terrible- I don't eat breakfast.  I just don't get hungry until lunch really.  If I do then I snack on fruit.  Although I have just had 2 biscuits in a meeting and feeling a tad guilty!  I forgot my lunch today and should have just gone and got something healthy but instead I had fruit and a biscuit.  
    Am quite excited about dinner tonight though- chicken thighs stuffed with chicken liver pate and wrapped in bacon, with sage acti-fry potatoes and veg.  Is it just me who thinks of their dinner all day, or does anyone else?!!!

VegasLou wrote (see post):

I'm lucky my job is active and I have a dog that needs walking. It would be a different story if I had a desk job!

LOL.  I wish I had a dog to walk!  We want one, but working in London all day and me being away means we have to stick to our pet chickens!

MissDukes 
    I am so glad someone else watches stuff in the gym!  I feel like I am the only one when I am on the cross trainer watching iplayer!  Wow, that is impressive with the 2 sessions.  I just don't think I could do that in terms of time, although at times I wish I could.  
    I am terrible- I don't eat breakfast.  I just don't get hungry until lunch really.  If I do then I snack on fruit.  Although I have just had 2 biscuits in a meeting and feeling a tad guilty!  I forgot my lunch today and should have just gone and got something healthy but instead I had fruit and a biscuit.  
    Am quite excited about dinner tonight though- chicken thighs stuffed with chicken liver pate and wrapped in bacon, with sage acti-fry potatoes and veg.  Is it just me who thinks of their dinner all day, or does anyone else?!!!

My DF and I both train so its not an issue time wise.  It just means that there are things that we don't do during the week.  For example, we pretty much exclusively watch stuff we have recorded or series' from Netflix/Now TV in the evening as we have maybe an hour of chill time before bed lol. 

Have you tried making stuff like egg muffins that you can just eat from the fridge in the am or soaked oats that yo can put in the night before and takes hardly any time to eat?  If not give it a bash and if you have but you really don't get on with it have you tried intermittent fasting?  May suit you better due to the times you eat anyway.

And I literally could NOT do cardio without something to watch.  I was so very excited when I realized how good the wifi was in the gyms I go to cos I can stream stuff.  Showbox has been my salvation!!!!

And I meticulously plan each meal - this evening I am having salmon with chilli sauce stuff, stir fried vegetable and salad.  I may even make some sugar free jelly for the evenings so I can have something sweet.  Then when I plan my cheat meal - SO MUCH thought goes into it.  I love food lolol.

And can someone tell me how I can mention people in the tread?  If I can o that?  I tried putting the @ symbol in front of their name but I don't think it worked lol

No idea on the proper way to mention people.... I managed once, but it isn't like it sends a notification or anything.  That is what I really hate about this Forum- it doesn't send notifications!

I do sometimes bring eggs to work and make an omelette, but I just forget.  I really don't have time in the morning to eat at home, and standing up on the tube isn't conducive to eating!  I must make more of an effort though. My OH did oats for a while, but he was doing it at work.  I def need to try it though as a lot of people say it is brilliant.  

I love food as well.  We are lucky that we are in an area with loads of farms, despite being just outside of London.  We go to Farmers Markets most weekends, and get really high quality meats, which make so much of a difference.  The one thing we both know is going to be good at our wedding is the food!  

Right, back to work.  I am off to LA for a conference on Sunday so need to be good this week as am going to be eating far too much when I am out there!

Anyone else hit the gym this morning?  Feeling so tired at work, but pleased I got up and did it.  Only one more day before weigh in!

Anyone else hit the gym this morning?  Feeling so tired at work, but pleased I got up and did it.  Only one more day before weigh in!

Me - I didn't want to go tbh and I sulked.  I have weigh in tomorrow as well but I weighed myself this morning an I was the same weight :(

I just came on yesterday so maybe that is it but I will be gutted if I have not lost anything

Britbird  was up and out at 6 for a run. I'm not a great runner but half an hour always make me feel better. Finished off with some press ups and weights at home.

For anyone not keen on the gym there are so many you tube workouts now! I love the body coach and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred gets results and only 25 mins. 

Oh and someone mention overnight oats, I love these, easy to grab on the way to work if no time to eat at home. 

MissDukes wrote (see post):

Me - I didn't want to go tbh and I sulked.  I have weigh in tomorrow as well but I weighed myself this morning an I was the same weight :(

I just came on yesterday so maybe that is it but I will be gutted if I have not lost anything

So frustrating when you don't lose anything. I bet your period is responsible. Hopefully you'll see a loss in a couple of days.

• RJM19RJM19 Posts: 21

You guys are all so good for getting up this morning! I usually aim to be at the gym for 6.30am but I haven't been yet this week. Definitely tomorrow......

Good luck on your weigh in MissDukes. Even if it stays the same it's better than a gain! :) 

Yeah that's what I am telling myself but after the comment one of my bridesmaids made yesterday I am anxious about my dress shopping in 5 weeks!!!

I am going to see my other bridesmaid tonight for a coffee and catch up so no gym tonight and then tomorrow I have leaving drinks after work so I wont make it then either.  I will make up the sessions on Saturday and Sunday then back into a new rotation next week.