'Tis The Season To Be Married - Dec 2018

SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,775 New bride
edited 12 December in Your planning threads

Hello! I stumbled across these planning threads and after stalking through them for (probably) faaaar too long, I decided to start my own :) Despite being engaged over 2 years we have only just begun planning and at the moment we just have a lot of emails and meetings planned with nothing yet booked, but we know what we want so figured I would vent my ideas here!!

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,775 New bride

Our Story & The Proposal

We met for the first time back in 2009. I was 19 years old and only 1 month into my 3 year university course. He was the annoying older (he's 7 years older than me) idiot at the bar who asked my roommate about me and who I rejected as I wasn't interested in someone when I had only just started university. Despite this for the next 2 years he pestered me whenever he saw me out and about, even me being with someone else didn't stop him trying to get my number!! Finally, in 2011, after 2 years of him badgering me and one break up on my side, I gave in (specifically I downed my drink, found him at the bar, told him I was single and he kissed me right there that second). 

We had a great first year together, lots of fun, surprises and laughter and our biggest surprise came a year later in 2012 when I discovered I was pregnant just before our 1 year anniversary. It was at this point we moved 250 miles back to my home area to be near my family and in 2013 our daughter was born :) She is now 4, a complete daddy's girl who couldn't care less about mummy half the time and has the attitude of a teenager!!

In 2015 he took me to London for a week as a late christmas present. As I am a huge Harry Potter fan he booked us in specially designed 'wizarding rooms' at a beautiful hotel, booked us shows, various days out and a trip to the Harry Potter studio. It was on the day we went to the studio that he propsed. I ahd loved the day, was so excited through all of it and buzzing from so much Harry Potter. That night we went to see a performance of Wicked, a show I had been dying to see for years and while having a drink afterwards I said I wasn't sure how he could ever top that day, and so there in the bar he paniced and practically shoved the box across the table at me haha

Since then we moved back to the city we met in with our daughter and I changed jobs and now finally, after 2 years of being engaged, nealry 6 years together and one child and a dog later we are FINALLY planning this bloody wedding! :D

The Ring

Luckily my friend who knew beforehand what was going to happen insisted I go get my nails done before the trip, she knew I would take a picture like this haha

The Budget

The dreaded budget. Unforunately we have never won the lottery, do not own any stocks/shares/patents and we dont come from some wealthy land owning families, so there was going to be limits, and despite us both working full time our limit was not going to be massive! I knew straight away I was not going to borrow money for this wedding and so with a knowledge of what help we would recieve from family (thanks to my sister getting married back in 2015) which wasn't massive compared with some but every little helps, and a rough idea of what we can save up ourselves I am pretty sure we are aiming somewhere between £8000 and £12000 (depending on if we include the honeymoon in our budget or class that a seperate thing as we wont be taking it until a couple months after the wedding anyway)

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 821

Yay another planning thread! What a long wait he had for you. Very pretty ring, look forward to reading more as your plans progress.

• Rosegold017Rosegold017 Posts: 476

Ah loving the title of this thread and what a lovely backstory! Congrats Sadie. Look forward to seeing how it all unfolds. Also I'm dying to see Wicked!

Thank you both :) and yes, he uses that wait I put him through whenever trying to win an argument or score brownie points haha

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 960 New bride

Looking forward to following this thread. I'm also a December 2018 bride!!

Thank you all :) Will update tonight with an idea of our overall 'vision' (I say that with a wrinkled face as it sounds weird to me haha) because until some suppliers/venues/people in general start replying to emails I cant book anything haha you'd almost think they didn't want my money!! ;D

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride

Welcome! Nice to see another new thread. Love so many but they are 2017 brides so will go soon! 

• New to thisNew to this Posts: 226

Following 🙂 Excited to read your plans!

• Look forward to reading your plans, I'm also a Christmas 2018 bride and new to the site! 

The Vision

So as you can tell we are looking at deep navy and gold tones (H2B is a chelsea fan, as are my family, so blue being involved was a big thing for him!) It is important to us that the theme be based on winter and celebration and not Christmas, or at least keeping the Christmas to the minimum. Neither of us a big cake fans so love the idea of actual cheese instead, something I think we could then use as part of the evening buffet with lots of yummy chutneys & crackers.

The Church

The church is still a bit of an issue for me, I have 0% interest in getting married in one, but it was important to my H2B and due to it's connection to my reception venue of choice, I have agreed, It really is beautiful, our daughters godmother married there and a work friend who married there informed me that for a small bit extra they light all the candles in the church and dim the lights during winter ceremonies if you wish to achieve a candlelit ceremony, something I will be asking for!!

The Venue

Still waiting to hear back so that we can get this booked but we pretty much knew straight away where we wanted our reception venue, the 700 year old Tithe Barn is technically our chosen church's church hall, but with it's rich history (something the history lover and enthusiast in me couldn't resist) and the fact it was a 5 second walk from the church doors in its own little private courtyard area made it perfect. The lighting is already beautiful, every beam is covered in lights and one wall is almost entirely made out of glass, meaning we are planning on doing very little in the way of decorating it.

Food & Drink

I love comfort food, my H2B is a very fussy eater (im talking nothing red and didnt try gravy until he was 27!!) and my family are pretty down to earth with a distate of overly fancy food. So my wish is for sausage and mash main (with a veggie option), a melt in the middle chocolate pudding (my favourite) and no idea or starter. Of course this is if we do a sit down, we are also considering a buffet :) as for drinks, we are planning our welcome drinks to be mulled wine and hot chocolate, to help everyone warm up during our December wedding :)

Of course all of this is still to be booked, but you get an idea of what we are hoping for!

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Oooo navy and gold, what gorgeous classic combination especially for a winter wedding. Navy and gold was my original dream, then I found my wedding dress and it all changed!

Thank you!! Depending on the time of year we chose I had various different colour ideas but in the end the winter won, I am hoping nothing is going to change my colour ideas as the blue and gold keeps us both happy haha (plus I don't suit light or icy colours so the icy/winter blues were a no go and I usually prefer gold to silver :))

• MissSMissS Posts: 265

Ah the colour choice! Its gourgeous and great for Dec! I started off with sage, then brought my dress and changed it to silver and dove blue and grey. Its now just a mixture of everything- even got some rose gold chucked in too! Venue looks beaut!! Have you been dress shopping yet?

Oo like the choice of food!  

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

Im also a december bride, but this year. I love the idea of the candlelit ceremony, I hope my church does this!

• Bunny87Bunny87 Posts: 180

Love your wedding colours! Pretty sure I've got a couple of those pictures of yours on my Pinterest page, although we're going for greens, white and gold currently. I'm also a December 2018 bride (seems to be a few of us at the moment!). Looking forward to hearing more about your planning

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 821

Ooh mulled wine will be lovely at a winter wedding! Colour scheme is lovely as well.

MissS wrote (see post):

Ah the colour choice! Its gourgeous and great for Dec! I started off with sage, then brought my dress and changed it to silver and dove blue and grey. Its now just a mixture of everything- even got some rose gold chucked in too! Venue looks beaut!! Have you been dress shopping yet?

Haven't yet, but I have been online looking for ideas of what I like :)

So we have a meeting with the church a week on Saturday which is step one. Also waiting to hear back from the caterer that I am interested in. They emailed me back earlier so I gave them so more information and they are now eager to set up a meeting (though they are based around 1.20hr away and I dont drive so fingers crossed they can come here!).

Annoyingly 5 minutes ago H2B decided he no longer liked the idea of the cheese based cake and wants a chocolate cake now :(

Have a meeting with the caterers set up, quite excited. I was worried they would be too expensive but due to having a December wedding they are giving a lower price and also just having bacon sarnies in the evening instead of full buffer so looks like it can be done :) also been working on a wedding website which I think is going to be a huge help with 95% of guests travelling over 200 miles!

Invites

I wanted nice invites, but didn't feel the need to spend a fortune on them. I was looking online and came across vistaprint wedding invites. I had an nosey through them all and found one that fit our wedding, its themes and colours perfectly! After gaining some reassurance from fellow brides on here the things they had ordered from there has been good quality I got vistaprint to send me a sample of my chosen invite, and these came yesterday!! :D

It really is pretty, the small thing I was worried about (the background colour being not quite right) was a non-issue and after showing them to H2B, who approved (though he barely looked longer than 30 seconds) I was set to go! Although the card they print on is fine I am going to upgrade to their premium card. In my basket at the moment, all in the matching design, are invites, rsvp cards, save the date magnets (such a good idea!), thank you cards, evening reception invites and all matching envelopes as well as stickers to stick envelopes down with :) Just waiting for vistaprint to put on a good sale and then ill order them (not sending save the dates until next January so plenty of time :))

I'm looking at Vistaprint as well for my wedding invites.  I don't feel like spending loads of money on something that will get thrown in the bin at the end of the day

ooh just realised by looking at our countdowns that my wedding must be the day after yours?  are you 8th December 2018?

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

ooh just realised by looking at our countdowns that my wedding must be the day after yours?  are you 8th December 2018?

It will be the 8th or the 15th, Church and Reception venue are provisionally booked for both, just waiting on meeting with caterers on Monday to see which one they are free on. If they are free on both then personally I want the 15th, so will have to update my countdown haha

Also I found the service from vistaprint great, they dont technically do samples but after a quick online chat they sent me some free of charge, there are so many designs and if you like one but its not quite right you can pay £6 and they will make any changes you are after :) I also liked that I could order all the matching stuff as well. Depending on how good the offer is when I finally order them I will get everything for MAX £250 :)

Good idea on VistaPrint- I think we are planning on doing the same, and directing most people to the website!  

britbird wrote (see post):

Good idea on VistaPrint- I think we are planning on doing the same, and directing most people to the website!  

Haha exactly the same :) I think the wedding website idea is such a good one! We are listing hotel info, our menu, the itinerary etc all on ours (I do however want a personalized domain so am going to pay extra for it, not that H2B has been told this haha)

• MrsK2017MrsK2017 Posts: 230

Love this thread! I'm a Dec 2017 bride :)

MrsK2017 wrote (see post):

Love this thread! I'm a Dec 2017 bride :)

Oooh I'll go have a look at your thread, i'd love to see how yours goes! (also my steal any ideas I think are fab! sorry haha)