โ€บ

Summer in the Cotswolds- The Report!

Well I don't have the photos yet, but I thought I could at least start my report as there's a bit to say before the pro photograher arrives on the scene! So without further ado, I give you my wedding report!

When and where we got married:

On Sunday 18th June, in the middle of That Heatwave. At the Hare and Hounds hotel near Tetbury in the Cotswolds.

The wedding party:

There's me (Sam, Sammy or Samantha depending on who's speaking to me and what mood I'm in!), my new husband Gary, my mum Mandy, step dad David, and bridesmaids Ruth (my elder sister), Laura (my highschool friend) and Helena (my primary school friend). Helena's 2yr old daughter R was also my flower girl. Then there's my brother Adam who was an usher, and Gary's mum Shau Nan (who is Chinese if you're wondering about the name). Gary had two best men, Andrew and Jack, who he met at University doing his PhD.

The engagement and wedding planning period:

We got engaged at Neushwanstein castle in Germany in October 2015, and by the end of that year we had our venue booked. I wanted a June wedding because it's the classic wedding month (see Bride Wars- June weddings at the plaza!!), and Gary loves summer and hates cold weather, probably because he grew up in Taiwan. So in all we were engaged for 20 months before the wedding date! The length of the engagement felt perfect- enough time to enjoy being engaged without there being a big gap before we could actually plan the wedding. I never wanted to be one of those couples that gets engaged but doesn't plan the wedding for 10 years! Booking everything 18 months in advance we also got our first pick of dates and choice of suppliers.

ยซ13456710

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

Yay! So looking forward to the report! 

Its so nice to hear you had a 20 month engagement. By the time next next March comes round we would have been engaged for 2 years and planning for 22 months. I've had so many people say to me we should have got married this year  that we waited too long. I'm loving the engaged status! 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298

So, before we delve into the actual day, here's a little summary:

What was Amazing

My new husbands speech. I shed a tear. He did such a good job!

The confetti shot as we walked down the aisle- I SO reccomend having this as you walk back down the aisle if possible (I know not all venues allow), rather than a staged shot later. It was brilliant. But that bloody confetti gets everywhere- I was picking it out of my hair and the lace of my dress for hours. When I took my dress off at the end of the night it was all down my top still!

The fireworks- all the guests loved them and I did too. Everyone was super impressed and probably thought we spent thousands on them, which we didn't!

The polaroid guest book- I absolutley love this. It is my number one fave thing from the wedding so far (well we don't have the photos or video yet)

The last dance- I was originally going to have a floorfiller such as Mr Brightside to finish off the night, but then I had this vision of us slow dancing under the fairy lights to the last song. We had Perfect by Ed Sheeran and it was perfect. We slow danced under the fairy lights!

The weather- we got married outside which was my dream.

Things that were not so good...

My brother got very drunk and embarassed me after the meal. He then went for a nap for several hours and missed half the wedding.

The Dog. Elaboration to follow.

My bustle tore :'(

The weather- it was SO FECKING HOT. The guests really struggled and it affected how busy the dancefloor was. Thank god we had ice cream.

Poor hubby really suffered with his hayfever despite being dosed up to the eyeballs. He had to swap his contacts for glasses in the evening. Not sure he thought this through about having a summer wedding...

My champagne sequin table cloth did not make it onto the cake table. Now in all fairness I didn't even notice on the day, only after when I saw the pics. I need to Let It Go but I'm really struggling to do so. It would have looked so amazing. Sigh.

Top Tips

If you are dithering about having kids to your wedding, the ones at mine were honestly so cute and well behaved. They didn't impact on any way during the ceremony- although apparentley my flower girl had spotted the ice cream stand and didn't shut up about it all the way through lol!! I didn't hear a peep though.

Book the suite. If your accomodation has a fancy suite and you can afford it, DO IT. Everyone will tell you not to because 'you're hardly in it' but it was soooooo fab having a posh room. When the party ended at midnight we were too buzzing to go straight to bed anyway so we made use of the hot tub (ahem) and also we had room service breakfast in our private garden in the morning. It was one of my fave things about the wedding!

Remember to Eat. This is coming from a girl who loves her food. If anyone says to me 'oh don't you just hate it when you forget to eat' then I normally laugh in their face whilst eating a burger. But even I skipped meals and probably existed on cake and ice cream for most of the wedding day. I think this contributed to why I felt so wiped afterwards. So even if you don't feel like it or are too busy, don't skip meals!!

Get both a bustle and a loop put in your dress. See 'what didn't go great'.

Think about if you want to go on honeymoon straight away. Part of me wishes we did- just to stay in the wedding bubble longer. It was a bit of a downer to just come home straight after the wedding, although we did then go to Majorca for 4 nights. But now I'm seriously bummed about going back to work tomorrow. Saying this- I am so glad we didn't go on honeymoon straight away. In Majorca we slept until 11am most mornings as we were just both so wiped out. I don't want to waste my expensive honeymoon sleeping! Of course this also depends on what type of honeymoon you have booked- no way could I have been trecking round theme parks in Orlando right after the wedding, but maybe the Maldives would have been OK!

Get the videographer, even if it's a cheap one. I know it's a cliche, but the day passes in a flash. I can't wait to watch it all again!

• DrD-to-beDrD-to-be Posts: 195

Eeeeeeekkkkk eeeek eeeeek! 

So glad you are doing a report.  Congratulations  xx

• MrsWoolgroveMrsWoolgrove Posts: 888

Ahhhhhh! Never been more excited!! This is my evening sorted :)

Things nobody tells you about getting married

FLIES. Fricking FLIES UNDER MY DRESS! Everytime I looked down I had flies trapped between the satin and net of my dress!! Ugh. I think I was literally acting as one big fly net as I walked across the grass. I was constantly de-flying myself and I'm hoping if there's any in the pictues the tog will edit them out.... why does nobody tell you this when you pick a wedding dress?! "That's a lovely dress but be prepared to be picking flies out of it all day."

On the day you are still the host. You might think you can relax, but not really. While I did have an amazing time, don't forget you are still the hosts of the day, and the venue staff will be asking you questions and checking things with you. And you will worry about if your guests are having a good time, and doing the rounds to check on them! So I would call the day wonderful but not relaxing in any way!

How much of the wedding is for the guests. Even if you've spent the planning period saying 'it's our day so we'll have what we want' you will be amazed that really, on the day it's for the guests. You won't really see half of what you have bought or set up. You might order ice cream like I did and only manage one spoonful yourself, but the guests will love it! And they will be the ones relaxing and enjoying the day while you are off doing couples pics or checking the room over.

On the day surprises

All our evening food went and people were scouting for more! Never seen it happen at a wedding before. I did ask if people were hungry and they mostly replied that the mini fish n chips were just good which is why they all went. Some people had 5 or 6 portions! Kind of wish we'd ordered more but it's not like we starved people. We also served the macs and cake in the evening so it made a good evening meal together.

I went trecking in my dress- yep, I ended up walking through a forest, climbing over a style and walking through long grass dodging cowpats, all in my wedding dress! The photographers asked if I was up for it and I thought why not? Don't be precious about your dress on the day and refuse to walk in it! It's there to be worn and you might get some really fun shots.

Sleep- I had a wonderful nights sleep the night before the wedding! And then a terrible one the night after.

Joint cheques- if you have asked for money (and even if you haven't) then be prepared to recieve cheques made out to 'Mr and Mrs' as wedding gifts. Which is really cute except we can't cash them!! We are actually having to open a joint account in order to cash them as I don't want to ask people to re-write them. Should have put a note on the wedding website saying we don't have a joint account!

We were also surprised by the generosity of guests. We felt very loved going through all those cards! As well as cash gifts and items off our Prezola gift list, we also had some lovely personal gifts.

I realise a few things from the above lists might be a tad cryptic, but I will expand on some of them during the report!

To be continued....

FutureMrsThomas wrote (see post):

Yay! So looking forward to the report! 

Its so nice to hear you had a 20 month engagement. By the time next next March comes round we would have been engaged for 2 years and planning for 22 months. I've had so many people say to me we should have got married this year  that we waited too long. I'm loving the engaged status! 

Oh poo, the type of people who tell you that you are 'doing it wrong' are probably the ones who had a rubbish wedding themselves and wish they did it differentley lol. Like you say, enjoy the engaged status, you only get to do it once!

FutureMrsWoolgrove wrote (see post):

Ahhhhhh! Never been more excited!! This is my evening sorted :)

Haha I don't know how far I'll get today! I should probably actually sort through the wedding stuff like I promised H2B I would while I'm off work...

• Cake18Cake18 Posts: 93

We're having a polaroid guest book as well and so glad to hear it worked for you! And we're starting to consider (again!) fireworks but not 100% sure yet as we have a fair bit of other things going on that I don't know if it'll be too much.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

• MrsG2bxxMrsG2bxx Posts: 868

Sammykate!!!! yay!!! so excited to hear your report! I have started my wedding report but I haven't got very far with it! I have a touch of wedding blues and struggling to find the motivation to do wedding stuff anymore.....I'm sure I'll get back to it in time though!

Can I just say.....you just called your HUSBAND 'H2B' :) haha! I still cant get used to saying husband either!! lol!! xxxxxxx

MrsG2bxx wrote (see post):

Sammykate!!!! yay!!! so excited to hear your report! I have started my wedding report but I haven't got very far with it! I have a touch of wedding blues and struggling to find the motivation to do wedding stuff anymore.....I'm sure I'll get back to it in time though!

Can I just say.....you just called your HUSBAND 'H2B' :) haha! I still cant get used to saying husband either!! lol!! xxxxxxx

Hahaha I keep typing H2B and deleting it! It's funny because I've been calling him husband everytime I talk about him as I get a kick from it.

I know what you mean about the wedding blues... how is it all over?!?

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

loving the detail already!

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Yesssssssss ๐Ÿ™Œ  Still can't believe I'm reading your ACTUAL wedding report Sammykate. Since when we were all becoming married ladies?! ๐Ÿ˜‚ So true about the hosting thing on your wedding day - never occurred to me before, but it is true! Looking forward to more ๐Ÿ˜Š x

• MoggleMoggle Posts: 556

Yay! So looking forward to hearing all about your day - the pics you posted on your planning thread are lovely 

• Tay2Tay2 Posts: 33

Love this report already!

• Mrs17Mrs17 Posts: 775

Ooh I'm so glad you started this!! Can't wait for more!! 

• LittlespiceLittlespice Posts: 665

Really looking forward to reading more! I totally agree about how much of the day is for your guests; so much that I spent ages planning that I was too busy having photos taken or rushing around greeting people to even notice or experience! If I could wave a magic wand, I would go back and experience my wedding day as a guest x

Littlespice wrote (see post):

Really looking forward to reading more! I totally agree about how much of the day is for your guests; so much that I spent ages planning that I was too busy having photos taken or rushing around greeting people to even notice or experience! If I could wave a magic wand, I would go back and experience my wedding day as a guest x

I totally know what you mean- I loved experiencing it as a bride and as my day, but I kind of feel like the guests might have had even more fun as they got the fizz and ice cream and garden games! Although there's nothing I would swap for some experiences like the speeches or the first dance. I wish I could have experienced it as both the bride and a guest!!

Right the husband has been dispatched to jujitsu class (which is exciting for him as he was banned from it for a month before the wedding) so I have time to continue!

The days before the wedding

I finished work Tuesday so I had Weds-Sat before the wedding to organise and beautify! Now I'm not saying that having 4 days is essential, I probably could have fit everything into 2- but it did mean I could take it at a chilled out pace which was lovely and meant I wasn't stressed out. And my parents arrived Friday afternoon so I had to fit most of it in before then.

Wednesday I had a lovely facial, cleaned the house and sorted out some packing-  not very exciting! As the forecast was looking good for the weekend we then did a quick trip to The Range to pick up some garden games in addition to the croquet I already had:

I also picked up the chalk sign for £1 from The Works and wrote on it with liquid chalk.

Thursday I had my eyebrows tinted and waxed in the morning, and then in the afternoon we drove over to Cheltenham to collect my dress! Had a brief argument with my (then) h2b about where to park- we usually park in the shopping center car park but it's a good 15 minutes walk from the bridal store, and after 6pm they close the main entrance and you have to walk up the car park stairs that smell like wee. Eventually I persuaded him to park on the street round the corner so I didn't have to drag my dress up wee steps. Honestly, why did he think that was going to be OK!

It was very exciting to collect my dress- to actually have it home and know I was going to wear it in a few days! The bridal store nearly forgot to put the belt in, which would have been a mini disaster. She'd taken it out to nicely wrap it in tissue and forgot to put it back in! One thing worth mentioning on the practical side is that she also wrapped my train in tissue and rolled it up to stop it creasing. She told me to un-roll it as soon as I got home, but I couldn't or H2B would see it! So it remained rolled up until Sunday morning and it was totally fine. I think the fabric of my dress just doesn't crease.

Friday morning I was up early with macaron delivery anxiety! They were due before 9am and I was worried they might turn up at 7am or something. In the end they came around 8.30, so we unboxed them and managed to fit them all in the fridge:

I had a spray tan booked at 10am, and H2B (yep going to keep calling him that as he was still my H2B then!) had now finished work so he dropped me off. Maybe he was just being nice, but also he had managed to lose the nice watch I had bought him specifically to wear on the wedding day in the 3 weeks since I gave it to him. Sigh. I had to buy him that one because he lost his previous two watches as well. So while I had my spray tan he dashed off to the outlet mall to find a replacement. Did you know that it was also my fault he lost the watch, as he stored it in a plastic tupperware box and he decided I threw the tupperware away (because I move things, aka I tidy the house)? This is obviously not his fault in any way for randomly storing his watch in tupperware. And also he thinks somehow I wouldn't have noticed there was a watch in it when I picked it up. Bloody men.

No matter how organised you are- and I like to think I am Super Organised- there will always be last minute bits to do!! The weekend before we had to have H2B's suit trousers tailored, then he needed a new watch, then I needed to buy more thank you cards, then I decided to replace the bridesmaids bracelets, and we needed to buy the garden games... there will always be stuff to do last minute!! Make sure you have time for it.

On the way back from the spray tan we stopped to collect flowers from Morrisons for the centerpieces. I spent around £25 which made enough for 8 substantial jam jars. I was planning on gyp and roses but they had gorgeous peonies so I bought them too!

Then I spent the next few hours arranging the flowers (sorry some of these pics are a repeat from my planning thread!)

This was also around the point my brother started being a royal pain in the ass. He texted me asking when and where the wedding is. Um, I gave you an invitation?! And did you not think to clarify this in advance? He lives in London but was yet to sort out how he is getting to the venue (he doesn't drive). He was also messaging my mum asking if he needed the Monday off work. I have no idea how that boy functions in his quite serious job when he can't organise himself to save his life.

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

YES!!! More! More! More! (i can do this all day...)

• Yey, Sammykate thank you for starting so quick!  I love your planning thread (especially as I'm getting married in the Cotswolds too so it's been really lovely to read your planning) and this is no different...I can't wait for your pics to come back too.

Friday afternoon

My mum and step dad were travelling down from Yorkshire and we'd booked to have our nails done at 2pm (with my mum, not my step dad lol). But since midday I'd been recieving calls from my mum saying they were stuck in traffic, and by 2pm they still hadn't arrived. I was getting fairly stressed by this and worried that I would have to pay for the missed appointment at the salon! So I went for the 2pm appointment to get my nails done first. Today had been pretty rushed and I hadn't spent any time thinking about how I wanted my nails to look- fail. But I picked out a pretty shiny pink and also got her to do some silver graduated glitter on them:

I had shellac of course so it didn't chip before the day. My toes were also shellaced on Tuesday, but I went for a bright holiday pink as my wedding shoes were closed toe.

Thankfully my mum showed up just as my nails were being finished! She then had both her fingers and toes done and it was nice just to chill out for a while and chat.The boys took their cars to be cleaned while we did this which is apparently their version of fun.

After that it was home for a walk in the sunshine, and dinner in a local pub! I was very strict about the fact I intended to do no cooking or washing up in these couple of days before the wedding lol. We have eaten a lot of take away in the last week or so! If your budget is tight then meals out and take aways around the wedding date could be something worth factoring in.

I also cut my brother a deal that if he showed up at the train station before 1pm on Sat (when we were leaving for the night before accomodation) we would give him a lift. If not he would have to get the bus! He was supposed to arrange his own accomodation but of course he didn't, so he would be sleeping on the sofa in our hired apartment.

• MrsLMTMrsLMT Posts: 3,830

I love your nails. I've never had my nails done and its something I need to start considering soon. I'm too mean to pay and normally paints my nails myself. 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

Your nails look lovely, it's really great how much detail you're going into in this report, keep it comin!

• The report! Yay! Loving all this extra detail that wasn't in the report (probably because you were too busy!). I laughed at the 'wee stairs' comment, I know which ones you mean :).

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

Really enjoying your report, Sammykate!

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

I'm so glad you have started this before the photos are back! 

I can totally relate to the "you move things" story, my H2B says the same thing. Half the time things are where he left them. He says I put things in weird places. Like the shoe rack is a weird place for shoes!! 

• MrsStateMrsState Posts: 178

Loving this report - so much detail and advice. Can't wait for more!!

Lexi90 wrote (see post):

I'm so glad you have started this before the photos are back! 

I can totally relate to the "you move things" story, my H2B says the same thing. Half the time things are where he left them. He says I put things in weird places. Like the shoe rack is a weird place for shoes!! 

Ooh it drives me mad! If he had his way then every piece of clothing and gym equipment he owns would be strewn across the floor because that makes it easier to find. And because I tidy I get accused of hiding things even when I haven't touched them and he's just lost them. I also get told off for taking clothes from the floor and putting them in the wash because to him they obviously had more wear in them. He's lucky he has lots of other good qualities!

ยซ13456710