Our Spring Wedding with A Mixed Up Theme 25.05.2018

Hello!

I have read a few planning threads and saw how it is a good way to get everything down on paper (well actually a computer screen!) and possibly get some great advice. I thought I would do my own, I cannot promise it will be any good but I think it will help me and maybe others in some small way!

So without further ado, here it is!

A little bit of background information.....

M and I met via Internet dating (ahhh!).

I had tried it before and been on about two dates, one was perfectly lovely but wasn't quite right for me, just didn't feel any connection there. The other date was a drunken disaster, I cringe a bit when I think about it now! I decided to stop for a while because it just wasn't happening, I would talk to people but wouldn't get as far as meeting. I thought hopefully I would just bump into someone and we would click or meet someone through friends. I tried not to force it as much as I didn't want to be alone I also didn't want to be with the wrong person.

A few months later a friend tried Internet dating and found a really lovely guy (they are still together now after a few years) and so after a few weeks I thought, 'Why not have another crack at it...' Signed up and set up my profile as you do..... The particular website I was on has a feature where you can 'wink' at people. One day I get a notification that someone had 'winked' at me so I though, 'Ok, fair enough' checked their profile and there was M! I read his profile and I can't remember the exact wording but it said something along the lines of 'wants someone intellectual' Well I thought that I didn't really fit that bill. I'm not stupid, I have my own opinions, thoughts, feelings. I think I'm an interesting person but I don't feel I always express myself well (but that's a different story!) So I wrote him off on the basis I didn't think I was clever enough for him. Well M didn't give up! He must have winked about 5 times!! I was like 'Who is this man!??' He wouldn't message though, just wink! So I messaged him and we started messaging back and forth but I wasn't really feeling it, he seemed keen and kept it going but I wasn't very nice! I'd take ages to reply! I then felt really guilty and thought maybe I should arrange a date as he seemed so nice compared to a lot of guys I've met who weren't as bothered about me. 

Well this has turned into quite the essay! I will continue but don't feel you have to read it!

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride

welcome- look forward to hearing more :-) 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Welcome! Our relationship also started with a "wink" xxx

• MrsM2018MrsM2018 Posts: 142

Yay you decided to do a planning thread! 

• Looking forward to see your Mixed up theme!

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 821

Looking forward to hearing more!

• MrsBeehanMrsBeehan Posts: 378 New bride

The Date....

So we arranged to meet at our local Costa (other coffee shops are available hehe!) Which is silly as neither of us like coffee! We had a cup of tea I think and he just did not stop talking! Again I was like 'Who is this guy!?' I now know that M gets very nervous whenever meeting new people (and who doesn't get nervous on a first date?) and he talks and talks due to his nerves. So after tea we went for a walk along the beach and chatted. Then we went for lunch back at Costa where he poured milk everywhere. Then I gave him a lift home and the rest, as they say, is history!

The First Proposal.....

So we were going along all happy, met each other's family, spent loads of time together. M is so loving, I had never been with anyone quite like him. It got to New Years Eve 2015 and we went to family friends' party as we always do in my family. I was happy as I didn't have work the next day so could let my hair down a bit. So we were out late/early hours, no proposal at midnight or anything. I didn't expect anything as we'd only been together two and a half months but we had talked about marriage and kids. He was so different to the guys I'd been with before, they never wanted the whole marriage and kids package whereas I did. So did M so I was happy on that front!

Anyway we got home and were both a bit tipsy and somehow got onto the marriage conversation and I half jokingly proposed. We didn't say anything to anyone as we thought that they would say it was too early as we hadn't been together very long. Plus we weren't (and still aren't) living together, he lives with his parents and I live with my mum.

People probably think that we shouldn't plan to get married when we haven't even lived together. The reason we haven't moved in together is that we figure that if we start renting we won't be able to save for the wedding and we have committed to this date so need to save. I think that if we can both commit to paying for a wedding together that's a good sign that we will manage in married life. Plus we have 'played house' when his parents have gone away and we had the house to ourselves.

It's not ideal but it is what it is and we cannot wait to be married. We have the same sense of humour, we cry with laughter at things other people would find stupid. We love doing the same things. We like a quiet simple life. So we cannot wait to have many years of that ahead. Don't get me wrong, we drive each other mad at times but most of the time it is good. Anyway we plan to either get somewhere just before the wedding or just after. Probably after! Very traditional 

Next installment tomorrow as M wants me to stop typing and sit with him. Have all morning though, welcome to my thread britbird, ruthie, MrsM, MrsPToBe and VegasLou! Thanks for your comments!

• August19August19 Posts: 285 New bride

Look forward to hearing all about your planning x 

The Second Proposal.....

It got to the summer and we had been out one day and found this shop with crystals and things in and they had jewellery. I really loved this art deco/vintage type ring so he bought it for me. Lovely chap he is! I kind of wish we had made this my engagement ring but I adore my actual engagement ring so I'm over the moon with both!

Then M said that he has been looking at rings online. We aren't exactly minted so he hadn't been looking at diamonds or anything and to be honest I didn't want him buy something ridiculously expensive and make himself poor. I know a lot of people would say it shows commitment but for me I adored the ring he chose and it didn't matter that it wasn't a diamond or gold metal. He found a vintage type ring, the metal is silver, the gemstone is zirconia. When I look at it my stomach does flips because it's mine and I love it and it means so much that he picked it. So he ordered it and it came all the way from Canada. We were a bit nervous that it would be good quality.

So about a week or so later I picked M up and he said it had arrived and looked really nervous! His mum said he should get down on one knee straight away! I saw the ring and it was perfect! We discussed it and as my 30th birthday was coming up in a few months we decided he would officially propose then and we could announce it alongside my birthday.

So that's what we did. I couldn't wait until the morning of my birthday so we decided to wait until midnight but it got to about 11:30pm and we were both falling asleep! So he 'officially' proposed. I made him get down on one knee as I thought, 'This is the only time I will ever get that!' We were on our own though and it was perfect. Then the next day as an engagement/birthday present M's mum had paid for us to stay in a boutique hotel which was wonderful and is the hotel we will spend our wedding night in, in the same room (will write about it in another post, not the details don't worry! Haha!). Then I had a birthday party which doubled as an engagement party, was the best 30th :)

Sorry this has been a novel in itself but I have very much enjoyed reliving the whole thing! Next installment; rings!!

The Rings.....

So this is a few pictures of the rings we have so far......

This is the ring he bought from the crystal shop:

This is the engagement ring!

The engagement ring came with a wedding ring:

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

I love your rings!! Loving your report so far xx

The Rings (continued).....

My job means that I cannot wear my engagement ring all the time, I'm always nervous I'll break it or catch someone's skin with it. At first I didn't like the wedding ring on it's own:

For this reason I had decided not to have it as my wedding ring. However looking at it today I do kind of like it on it's own. I love the ring, again it doesn't matter to me that the gemstones are zirconia and the metal is silver. I think it's a beautiful ring that was chosen by M.

The other reason I didn't want it as my wedding ring is I would be worried to wear it all the time with my job. I'd be concerned the gemstones would fall out! So we decided that we would get a plain white gold band as my wedding ring as we had time to save for it. I would be able to wear it all the time, even at work because it could withstand being in water and wouldn't catch people's skin. The wedding ring that came with my engagement ring will be my eternity ring :) Anyway more about the wedding rings in another post!

Now! Finally onto the planning!

The Venue!

We started to think about where we would get married. We had no idea what we wanted really! I'm not a girl who knows what she wants, I had never thought much about what I would want in a wedding, I just knew that I wanted to get married. I don't think M had any idea either! As I thought about it more I was just thinking I wanted something quite simple with a big party and all our favourite people. I tried to push M for ideas but he seemed happy with what I wanted (which sounds bad!). He has got more involved with the small details more recently though and has enjoyed it.

The last thing I wanted from our wedding is to become a controlling bridezilla. As time has gone on I understand how it happens though. Since becoming engaged I have become emotional about everything wedding related and when people make suggestions about the wedding I become irritated but have to stop myself! It is one day and as long as we're both there, healthy and surrounded by loved ones it really doesn't matter about the rest! It is nice to plan and have the little things we both want though haha!

We don't have a lot of money so at first we were thinking a registry office ceremony and then maybe hiring a hall or something. I really liked this idea as it seemed simple and very us.

The other thing we thought about was a church ceremony at a lovely church near us and then a party at a place about 5 minutes walk away right near the beach. It has a big function room and a bar and options for a sit down meal or a buffet. We aren't regular church goers and not particularly religious at all so I felt a bit of a hypocrite but I do sometimes go to the odd service!

The one thing I did know in relation to food, I have never liked the idea of a sit down meal. It seemed a bit too formal and also some of the weddings I have been to the sit down meal has been a bit rubbish. However since reading the threads on here recently I have changed my mind as all the sit down meals look and sound lovely! But still I quite liked the idea of a buffet, I love a good buffet!

We went to our first wedding fair at a local venue just to get an idea of what was out there, we didn't have loads of time sadly. What I would say to newly engaged couples is give yourself enough time when going to wedding fairs as it can take ages! What we did find though is the venue itself!!

I had been there before for a friend's wedding reception so knew it was lovely but to be honest hadn't really thought about it for us. I didn't think we could ever afford a proper wedding venue. When we were there we did think it was wonderful and we spoke to one of the wedding co-ordinators. She said we could arrange to be shown around properly without the suppliers and discuss what we wanted and prices, etc. So we booked to go again when both our mum's were available to come with us. 

The Venue! (continued)

So we all went off for our meeting, had another look around and fell in love!!

We discussed with the wedding co-ordinator what we wanted and our budget and she knew exactly what to do! After going away with our heads full of options and prices we said that we would definitely look at some other venues to compare and make sure there wasn't anywhere else we liked more.........

We didn't! A week later we booked our wedding!! It's on 25th May 2018!!!!

The venue is called Salmestone Grange.

Salmestone is a 14th century monastic grange. Which basically means it had monks living, working and worshiping there a few hundred years ago! We are both history lovers and so it's perfect for us, has such a good atmosphere in there.

Ceremony

As Salmestone was is a monastic grange it has a BEAUTIFUL chapel. 

I apologise about the next few paragraphs, I probably sound like a hypocrite and I don't mean to insult anyone who is religious. I also realise it may seem boring so skip through to the end if you want!

The chapel does have a service every other Sunday, it is a non-denominational, traditional, Christian service. So it isn't particular to catholic, baptist, Church of England or other denominations.

We adore the chapel, however again I did feel a little bit of a hypocrite as like I said before we aren't regular church goers. I had to think about this for a while, whether I could bring myself to have a Christian ceremony. I do go to the odd service and have become more spiritual over the the past few years and M does believe in some kind of God (goodness me we still sound so hypocrtical!! I apologise!) We thought it would be good to have our marriage blessed religiously and so decided we would go ahead with the chapel ceremony. 

I have been to one of the Sunday services since we booked the wedding and I plan to go this Sunday. Normally I work the particular Sunday that the service is held so I can't make it but I go when I can. When I can't go to Salmestone I go to our local church for Sunday service. I just feel that I can't have a Christian wedding ceremony if I haven't attended some church services. M also comes along when he can. I like some of the Christan values, I think it's a good way to live. Some of it I don't agree with but that's a whole other massive topic!! Anyway I'm waffling! 

Sorry about the religious essay!! Next installment, more about the ceremony and chapel but no religion!

• MrsM2018MrsM2018 Posts: 142

Speaking as a Christian, I don't think your sound hypocritical at all. The fact that you've considered it so carefully, and you are putting in the effort to attend services is wonderful. 

We haven't even sorted the church out yet(!!) 

Ceremony (continued)

The chapel is quite small as you may be able to see from the pictures. It has a maximum capacity of 80 guests and that is pushing it, they said it's better with 70 max. One of the first things we did when we started to think about the wedding is make a list of people we would like to invite to the cermony. I didn't think it would be many but it came to about 80+! So when discussing the chapel ceremony we were a little worried we couldn't have it as our guest list was so big. The problem is a lot of our family live quite far away and so we couldn't expect them to travel all that way and not be invited to the whole thing! Plus we wanted them at the whole thing.

We looked at the guest list and tweaked a few things and managed to get it down to just under 80. That sounds really bad, like we got rid of a few guests which essentially we did! But it's not as bad as it sounds. We took off a few people that may cause issues and a couple of auntie's that probably wouldn't make it anyway as it's too far to travel (after speaking to my dad). It's not as heartless as it sounds.

There's a lovely feature of the chapel which made me love it more. There is a main entrance for all the guests, groom, groomsmen, etc. and then at the back there is a special entrance for the bridemaids, bride and father of the bride. Firstly the bridal party and FOB do a little walk along the special bridal path and then enter through the special bridal door and walk about 5 steps up the aisle hehe! Hopefully it's not raining!! If it is then the normal entrance is under cover so it's not the end of the world!

It's hard to explain when you all haven't seen it in real life but I'll try.

So in the picture the chapel is on the right. Where you can see the covered walkway at the furthest point in the picture going to the right; that is the main entrance to the chapel. The bridal path is where the person who took this picture is standing going to the right around the other side of the chapel heading into the back left corner of the chapel. 

The covered pathway also leads to the room where the reception will be held and all the guests and kids can come into the garden. The pond can be covered to prevent anyone (mostly drunken adults!) from falling in and we will ask them to cover it, it's lovely but I'd rather no accidents!

Back to the ceremony, we have no idea about the actual ceremony yet in regards to vows, readings, hymns, music. We will have a meeting closer to the date and discuss all of that so will update on that subject.

I should also say that there was options to have a non-religious ceremony in another room which would hold a lot more guests. Also we could have it in the garden in the picture above but that again would limit guests. We still loved the chapel too much to have it anywhere else.

MrsM2018 wrote (see post):

Speaking as a Christian, I don't think your sound hypocritical at all. The fact that you've considered it so carefully, and you are putting in the effort to attend services is wonderful. 

We haven't even sorted the church out yet(!!) 

Thank you MrsM, that made me feel better. I was cringing whilst writing it. I do take it very seriously and whilst I go on about the special path and special entrance and how beautiful the chapel is, in the end I am very serious about the ceremony and vows and the meaning of it. That is the purpose of us being there, the other bits are great but not essential.

Wow! And I didn't think I had much to write!

Forgot to add we're having a rather late wedding of 4:30pm. The reason for this I will go into in the main reception post which I am about to write!

The Wedding Reception

So the ceremony and reception are all in the same venue. After the ceremony everyone will pile out after being squeezed in like sardines! Probably all need ironing out haha! We'll all be welcomed with a canape reception (fancy! Hah!) and champagne or prosecco I think, need to ask her about that. I'm sure everyone will be gasping by then!

We'll have our photos during this time. Another reason for the canape and drinks reception is that if we let the guests wander off to the bar we'll never get them out of there for the photos! Especially my family haha!!

There's some beautiful places for pictures:

I know I already posted this one but thought I'd put it on again.

This one shows the bridal path better, don't know why I didn't post it before:

The chapel is on the right and the bridal path goes around the nearest wall of the chapel to the back. 

There's a bit at the back of the chapel:

(Excuse the people, the only pictures I could find were with couples in them!) I think it's some type of altar. Some people have pretended to sacrifice their new spouse on it haha. 

So yeah all the photos will be taken and we'll mingle and chat. Then the party starts!!

Should say all the pictures of the venue are from the Internet which is why there were people in one of them!

The Wedding Reception (continued)

So as I've said before we're a bit skint really! But we have had time to save so can afford some nice things. We have however planned our wedding to save on some aspects, one being foodies!

When chatting to our lovely wedding co-ordinator Della she suggested we had a later ceremony and buffet. This is going to sound really cheap but......it means only feeding our guests once, the buffet option would be cheaper PLUS as I've said before I liked the buffet option anyway (love a buffet!!) Also there will be canapés so technically they do get a little extra haha. With a sit down meal we would have to provide wine, by having a buffet we don't. It's not that we resent providing for our guests, it's more the cost of it. The buffet will be massive and amazing so I hope our guests will be happy.

Also the buffet will serve all of the evening guests as well, we're allowed 140 maximum which we'll have no problem filling! M wants all of his old workmates there. I have said to him to not invite people just for the sake of it, make sure it means something to him to have them there. The reason it's old workmates is because he's just moved jobs and he was there a long time so made some good friends.

There's a few issues, like I still want speeches and not sure how this will work as it's not a sit down meal. My mum said about providing everyone with a toast, so need to speak to Della the wedding co-ordinator about that. M would be happy to forgo speeches just so he didn't have to speak in front of so many people. He has started writing a speech already so I think he's ok with us having speeches. I just think it's a special thing to have. May need your help and ideas on this people!!

Anyway! (breathe) Here is the reception room:

I'm not sure if the fairy lights come with it. We're going to have round tables I think. They provide plates, cutlery, napkins and tablecloths I think but need to confirm. I think they provide a cake stand as well. I will be contacting them and seeing if I can plan a meeting with them and find out again what the timescales would be, what they provide and a few other questions as at the moment it's all 'I think' not 'I know'!

I don't think they'll be a seating plan but I would like some type if top table, again need to discuss that with Della!

• MrsJ2017MrsJ2017 Posts: 3,017

I love this thread, I really enjoyed your story about meeting, he sounds so sweet and lovely.

Your thoughts on religion are pretty similar to mine. Im officially CofE, my mum has since converted to catholic and tried to influence me but I dont really fit in with any particulay branch of christianity. Catholisicism certainly seems to intense for me, CofE seems the most laid back and, I dont know, open minded? So Ill stick with that! I believe in a god or something, but I dont believe in the rules or sinners from birth, or that we must worship in a church. I think we should be good people, and the natural world is a more appropriate place to feel connected.

Your ceremony sounds perfect in that its just generally christian, not one particular type, wish we had somewhere like that! Its also a really beautiful building, great find!

MrsJ2017 wrote (see post):

I love this thread, I really enjoyed your story about meeting, he sounds so sweet and lovely.

Your thoughts on religion are pretty similar to mine. Im officially CofE, my mum has since converted to catholic and tried to influence me but I dont really fit in with any particulay branch of christianity. Catholisicism certainly seems to intense for me, CofE seems the most laid back and, I dont know, open minded? So Ill stick with that! I believe in a god or something, but I dont believe in the rules or sinners from birth, or that we must worship in a church. I think we should be good people, and the natural world is a more appropriate place to feel connected.

Your ceremony sounds perfect in that its just generally christian, not one particular type, wish we had somewhere like that! Its also a really beautiful building, great find!

Thank you for reading all my waffling MrsJ! Yeah it's difficult with religion, I won't ever be confirmed, I wasn't Christened and so will never have communion and neither had M. I like the Christian values of being a good person, not treating people badly, helping people. I would like to take my children to church and for them to be part of that community but not force them into it.

Thank you, yes we love the grange, it's so beautiful. Will have to look at your thread :)

SLM3 wrote (see post):

Look forward to hearing all about your planning x 

Thank you and welcome!

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 961 New bride

Loving all the details so far! You can definitely still have speeches if you've got a buffet as everyone will still sit down to eat as you've described the round tables so you can put the speeches in at a certain time and just have someone, probably the best man, to announce for people to take their seats for speeches at the correct time.

Look forward to reading more!

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

Loving all the details so far! You can definitely still have speeches if you've got a buffet as everyone will still sit down to eat as you've described the round tables so you can put the speeches in at a certain time and just have someone, probably the best man, to announce for people to take their seats for speeches at the correct time.

Look forward to reading more!

Thank you Kelly! Yeah that's a good plan. We probably do one of those pallets with timings on too so everyone knows.

Flowers

To try a spread the cost a bit and make it easier on ourselves we started to organise things like flowers and pay them off early. As with most things wedding related I had no idea about what types of flowers there are apart from the obvious ones like roses, tulips, lillies and things like that. I quite liked the idea of having wild flowers. No idea what types of flowers though. I had a little look at pinterest and found a rundown of wild flowers:

Just because I didn't want the florist to think I hadn't done any research even though she would obviously know her stuff haha!

The first florist I took my brother's girlfriend (now his fiance! We're all getting hitched!) just because I didn't want to go on my own, M isn't really interested and I thought maybe she'd enjoy it because she likes organising things. Second florist I took my mother in law as she hadn't been through the whole process before as she doesn't have any daughters and sons aren't really interested in flowers!

I told both florists that I would like wildflowers which was fine. The first one in my opinion was much better as she seemed to have a lot more ideas. To be honest now I can't remember much about the meeting with the second florist but at the time I remember thinking the first one was better. From what I remember from the first florist we went through the options for the different types of bouquets and the different types of material you can use to tie them, the buttonholes and corsages and flowers to decorate the venue.

I like the idea of tidy round bouquets which doesn't really fit with the wildflower theme but could probably be done. She said about having them tied with 'furry string' and lace which sounds lovely. My bouquet would be a bit bigger with slightly different flowers and then the bridesmaids would have slightly smaller versions with not as many types of flowers. The buttonholes will be the same flowers as the bridesmaid bouquets tied with furry string and the groom's will be slightly different to match my bouquet. The corsages will be the same flowers as the bridesmaid bouquets and buttonholes and can either be on the wrist or pinned to them depending on outfit.

image image

Sure it will change by next year but this is the kind of idea. For those who don't know what furry string is it's that brown string with bits coming out.

For the flowers to decorate the venue we've just opted for jars with wildflowers in. Just kind of randomly done, not too perfect:

They will decorate the windowsills in the chapel and then after the ceremony be moved to the windowsills in the reception room as they both have 4 windowsills (handy!). I did think about flowers for the tables but after talking to my MIL she had a good point. As it's a late ceremony and not a sit down meal people might just mess around with the flowers or move them out the way. If I really loved flowers and they were one of the biggest parts of the day for me then it would be different, I'd have them everywhere. I love flowers but I'm not dedicating loads of the budget to them and so there's not much point in having table flowers.

We have pretty much paid off the flowers, just need to add a buttonhole because I forgot one of the dads! (ooopps!) and we might get some thank you bouquets for the-

Flowers (continued)

-mummos.

So that's my lengthy post about flowers! Sozza!

Photographer

We went to a few other wedding fairs and at a particular one we met a photographer. She just seemed genuinely nice. I had a gut feeling that she would really take care of us on the day and make sure we had the photos we wanted. We had a look at her work and were quite happy with what she did. Checked her website and read a bit about her background. Was happy to see she had 14 years of experience which seemed plenty to us!

To be honest I'm not an expert on photography so not sure exactly what I was looking for but I got a good feeling about our photographer as a person. The way she puts it on her website is,

"I have a friendly, unobtrusive approach that guides you gently through your photography, ensuring to keep things flowing & making it an enjoyable part of your day"

and this seemed to be exactly what I wanted. M knows a lot more about photography than me and he was happy with her work. Also she had taken our details and emailed us with a bit more information but in the email she had taken the time to remember exactly where we were getting married and the details about it. I know she had just written it down when we saw her but the fact she had taken the time to make it personal meant a lot to us. So we booked to meet her and go through a few details of the day. We then proceeded to book her in for the wedding!

We haven't ordered a photo album, we weren't sure whether to at the time as they seemed so expensive. We may go ahead and order one though. As it stands at the moment we'll get a pretty little memory stick with all our edited pictures on. This sounds a bit lame but we thought we would get an album at a later date and there's so many options now of what you can do with pictures, we could have a big one on canvas. We could get one of those special frames that have a slideshow of certain pictures. We have options :)

We need to think exactly what we want in terms of pictures, personally I don't want loads of staged ones, a few yes but I didn't want to spend hours on a series of pictures of us with different people. I want lots of natural shots of people having fun (hopefully!) Will have a chat with M to see what he would like.