Would you buy a wedding dress online?

Girls! We want your opinion!  Would you buy a wedding dress from the internet? We are a group of friends who love fashion, and we think that a lot of bridal wear is expensive. Although you can obtain cheap bridal wear from China, people often find the quality disappointing. We wish to embark on a project to create beautiful, high quality wedding dresses, made in Italy … cheaply. There are many young, talented designers who would jump at the opportunity to have their ideas turned into reality! We would then reduce overheads by selling the dresses online. Apart from sizes we would also provide the actual fabric dimensions of the dresses. This is because we find that sizes vary a lot from manufacturer to manufacturer. Giving the actual fabric measurements will help you obtain the closest fit. What do you think? Would you buy bridal wear from the internet?image

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

I bought my wedding dress online from China and was not at all disappointed by the quality!! imageimageimageimage

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

I wouldn't, mainly due to the reasons about quality you mention but also because you don't really know what will suit you until you try it on. There are so many brides on here that want a specific type of dress then try it on and hate it. I also wanted that bridal shop experience. 

• HailsHails Posts: 2,455

No, not for something as important as a wedding dress.

• Rach371Rach371 Posts: 918 New bride

I bought mine online from a manufacturer in Brighton and I love it, I couldn't be happier. It's exactly what I wanted and, to me, that's what important and not where I got it from. It's beautifully made and I certainly didn't compromise on quality. 

I would point out of haven't got a traditional wedding dress but it is a wedding dress!

Helen225 wrote (see post):

I wouldn't, mainly due to the reasons about quality you mention but also because you don't really know what will suit you until you try it on. There are so many brides on here that want a specific type of dress then try it on and hate it. I also wanted that bridal shop experience. 

I had the bridal shop experience, many of them, and knew exactly what suited my body shape and then ordered exactly that online. The quality was as good as 'boutiques' if not better in some cases. I tried a dress on once that was so see through I could see the crescents of the pocket liners! 

Hails wrote (see post):

I dont entirely see the logic here I'm afraid. Its only my opinion but I dont think that something being important doesnt equate necessarily with it being expensive. If its right then its right. 

Research shows that people spend on average 25-35 mins choosing a pair of jeans, but they choose or reject a house within 90 seconds of walking in, in most cases. We bought our house as we knew it was the one, it felt right, we didnt think 'this is important, does it cost enough, is the agent based in UK?' 

I tried on loads of dresses and knew what constituent parts I wanted, waistline, neckline, silhouette, material, length etc so i ordered the dress that had all those parts. If it was a disaster then I was willing to lose £106, but I wasnt willing to let 'the fear' put me off. I know brides that spent about £2k on their dresses. My cheap China dress meant that we'd more to spend on flowers, photography, food- everything else really! 

• Katherine66Katherine66 Posts: 1,234

There are too many people reporting scans with online wedding dresses, i wouldnt risk it you could end up in a right pickle.   There are some great cheap dress shops around depending on budget, high street shops, wed2be, lots of small indipendant shops prices from £400 -£1800.  

Shop around locally first. 

• MrsK2018MrsK2018 Posts: 84

Mulberry2 i definitely would buy one from you.Because you will be based in the U.K and your website and phone number are U.K based people would probably buy from you.So many people buy dresses overseas because that is where the cheaper options are and imagine how better it would be to buy your dress online and locally as well meaning it will not be too long before one gets their ybdress.My sister bought her wedding dress in China for $130 us and it even had a detachable train and was very good.If a shop like yours was available you best believe she would definitely go local.I do 95% of my clothes shopping in the U.K and i live in Australia.I know my size and the clothes i usually fit..

• Edie2Edie2 Posts: 1

Why not? Shopping online saves lots of money and energy. For wedding dresses,i just want it to be pretty enough,i may wear it for only couple of hours...

• Dear all,

I wish to thank you all for your feedback. It was very valuable to us.

@gill17: your dress is amazing, and the photos are really beautiful. Clearly, not every “China” dress is poor quality, and your dress proves this beyond any doubt. However in a short online post, we couldn’t cover every possible situation. Congratulations :-)

@Helen225: thank you for sharing your thread “Planning a bandstand wedding!” post … we wish you the best of luck on your great day!

To all those who posted, we thank you for your feedback. Even the negative feedback. Unfortunately one cannot rely on feedback from family and friends … they are way too nice and encouraging!! Therefore your feedback and ideas are very valuable.

Thanks! 

gill17 wrote (see post):
    Hails wrote (see post):

I dont entirely see the logic here I'm afraid. Its only my opinion but I dont think that something being important doesnt equate necessarily with it being expensive. If its right then its right. 

Research shows that people spend on average 25-35 mins choosing a pair of jeans, but they choose or reject a house within 90 seconds of walking in, in most cases. We bought our house as we knew it was the one, it felt right, we didnt think 'this is important, does it cost enough, is the agent based in UK?' 

I tried on loads of dresses and knew what constituent parts I wanted, waistline, neckline, silhouette, material, length etc so i ordered the dress that had all those parts. If it was a disaster then I was willing to lose £106, but I wasnt willing to let 'the fear' put me off. I know brides that spent about £2k on their dresses. My cheap China dress meant that we'd more to spend on flowers, photography, food- everything else really! 

I have really sensitive skin so no way could i take the risk of buying from abroad without having tried it on. 

• MrsNolanMrsNolan Posts: 684 New bride

Personally i wouldn't, but if i were looking to buy a wedding dress online i'd opt for a uk seller if possible.

I have really sensitive skin too, hotel sheets bring me out in a rash sometimes, we have to use non-bio washing powder, for babies! I shop online a lot though, and have never found there to be an issue regarding that. I would need to be wearing something for several hours to see if it reacted with me, and I can do that more easily at home than in a changing room anyways. 

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298

I would have considered it, if I 100% knew the company was reliable and the product good. Too many nightmare mail order wedding dress stories going around for me to chance it on an unknown company. Brides order a dress from china, it comes and is a total disaster and then they can't get their money back. I know a bride posted earlier that hers was from china and was fine but I think she is the exception rather than the rule.

However, I would have happily ordered my dress from a company like BHDLN as I know they are legit. It would be very important that I could return the dress easily for a full refund if it wasn't suitable. The dress would also have to be cheap enough to justify the purchase- less than £300 probably. Otherwise you could just go to Wed2Be or a sample sale and find one in person for around £500.

gill17 wrote (see post):

I have really sensitive skin too, hotel sheets bring me out in a rash sometimes, we have to use non-bio washing powder, for babies! I shop online a lot though, and have never found there to be an issue regarding that. I would need to be wearing something for several hours to see if it reacted with me, and I can do that more easily at home than in a changing room anyways. 

I was allergic to 75% of wedding dresses that I tried on in store! I also agree with Sammy kate that your experience is an exception, not the norm. I am pleased you got a bargain.

I dont think i was an exception, its easy to focus on the disaster stories and write my story off as good luck but that just helps perpetuate the fear that surrounds buying online and from outside UK. I did tons of research and read loads of reviews, the website i used had pictures of real brides wearing their dresses. I paid with a credit card so I would be covered if things went south, but everything I ordered was good quality, including hooped underskirt (£7) and shoes. There are dodgy websites out there yes but simple common sense can help identify these. 

I know that a lot of 'boutique' dresses are made in China, Vietnam etc and just finished in UK, adding beaded detail or a rose or belt or whatever. Yes some are made in Uk but lots arent, its simple economics - its so much cheaper to 'outsource'. The disaster stories are really pushed and peddled by UK shop owners, for obvious reasons. I went to a shop once that had this awful yellow monstrosity at the door with a warning sign on it to not buy online! Whereas brides that do get nice dresses on the cheap are hardly going to shout about it! I told a few people, but not until after they'd seen it, so they wouldnt prejudge it. I didnt tell my dressmaker for this reason (said it was preloved) and she said it was obviously a designer dress as it was so well made and boning etc was so good, it obviously wasnt a China special !

Its just not true that China = risky or poor quality, loads of our products come from there, even if its a recognisable brand. Its the same for lots of products, like there are only 3 makers of televisions in EU, all the brands are added afterwards. 

But to get back to OP question, yes I certainly would buy online. It would be good to have material samples perhaps, as 'cream' can mean a huge range of colours and things look different on different screens. 

• Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys, but has anyone bought from Matchimony recently?

I've fallen in love with one of their dresses but would love a bit of feedback on the quality!

• Yes, you can buy wedding dress online for your wedding. It is not a big issue, some online sites also have return policies. If you don't like the dress, simply return it.

• I wouldn't feel comfortable going round multiple bridal shops with no intention of buying just to go and buy a knockoff version of the dresses I'm trying online. I don't think it's fair to the designers or shops that have significant overheads. It seems a bit dishonest to me and I want to support local shops and businesses wherever possible.

• I'd say gill was def the exception and not the rule when buying from China.  I was one of those people that got completely scammed by a China-based website selling wedding dresses.

You absolutely could not tell that the site was Chinese and the reviews on the site itself were excellent.  I completely fell for it (and to this day, feel really stupid for it).  Turns out, the reviews on the site were fake: the site doesn't allow you to give a review for less than 5 stars and they obviously delete any reviews with bad notes. My dress arrived and was indescribably poor. It was stained and literally falling apart.  It took me months of trying to get my money back, and I only got part of it back once I threatened to contact my credit card company and report them as scammers. There was no phone number to call, and they would ignore your emails. They tried every excuse in the book to not help me: language barrier, it's a holiday, the manager will get back to you, blah blah blah.  I would be absolutely terrified to ever make a majorly important purchase like this online ever again.

If you Google search some of these Chinese wedding websites, satisfied customers are absolutely the minority. That isn't to say that NO ONE gets lucky and gets what they ordered, but why would you want to gamble like that? You have virtually no recourse, no protection. Even if it's only £200, do you really want to bet that?

THIS ASIDE, whoever pointed out that you have NO idea what suits your body type until you try some dresses on is absolutely right. If you look through the planning threads on here and talk to brides in real life, more often than not, they end up with a dress completely different than they originally thought would suit.  If you buy a wedding dress online even from a reputable company, if it's custom made, there's no returning it if it doesn't suit you.  Some sites like Phase 8 and BHLDN I believe have some flexibility with returns, but something made to order doesn't.

I think the cons outweight the pros.

• Yes, I would buy my wedding dress online.  

I buy other clothes online all the time, and I don't really see why this should be any different as long as I go in with my eyes open and a very clear idea of size, shape, colour etc.

I'm seriously considering two different dresses I've found online, simply because I haven't so far found anything I like nearly as much in real shops.  I did look at dressilyme (which is where I believe Gill's dress came from), and my current favourite is from a British company. 

I know what shapes suit me from my experience with clothes in general and from trying on various wedding/bridesmaid dresses and failing to find the right dress in a shop yet - I certainly haven't gone round shops with the specific intention on wasting their time while I figure out which 'knock off' to buy online

And yes, I've seen the poor reviews and reports of bad experiences from other people, but I also have to say absolutely honestly that once you filter out all the hearsay/scaremongering/I-know-someone-who-knows-someone-who-had-a-disaster stories, I've actually seen more positive reviews than bad ones.  

gill17 wrote (see post):

I dont think i was an exception, its easy to focus on the disaster stories and write my story off as good luck but that just helps perpetuate the fear that surrounds buying online and from outside UK. I did tons of research and read loads of reviews, the website i used had pictures of real brides wearing their dresses. I paid with a credit card so I would be covered if things went south, but everything I ordered was good quality, including hooped underskirt (£7) and shoes. There are dodgy websites out there yes but simple common sense can help identify these. 

I know that a lot of 'boutique' dresses are made in China, Vietnam etc and just finished in UK, adding beaded detail or a rose or belt or whatever. Yes some are made in Uk but lots arent, its simple economics - its so much cheaper to 'outsource'. The disaster stories are really pushed and peddled by UK shop owners, for obvious reasons. I went to a shop once that had this awful yellow monstrosity at the door with a warning sign on it to not buy online! Whereas brides that do get nice dresses on the cheap are hardly going to shout about it! I told a few people, but not until after they'd seen it, so they wouldnt prejudge it. I didnt tell my dressmaker for this reason (said it was preloved) and she said it was obviously a designer dress as it was so well made and boning etc was so good, it obviously wasnt a China special !

Its just not true that China = risky or poor quality, loads of our products come from there, even if its a recognisable brand. Its the same for lots of products, like there are only 3 makers of televisions in EU, all the brands are added afterwards. 

But to get back to OP question, yes I certainly would buy online. It would be good to have material samples perhaps, as 'cream' can mean a huge range of colours and things look different on different screens. 

I don't think I was an exception, but sorry that you had a bad experience kittyfiennes. I used dressilyme.com dawn rees. I paid by credit card so I was covered just in case. I buy almost everything online tbh ali s 71. I tried dresses on so i knew what shape i wanted etc. 

• Just wanted to say I ordered my dream dress from China, yes saved lots of pennies, material quality perfect, fitting other then length perfect (step in family dressmaker), I could not be happier xx

• Future-Mrs-G wrote (see post):

Just wanted to say I ordered my dream dress from China, yes saved lots of pennies, material quality perfect, fitting other then length perfect (step in family dressmaker), I could not be happier xx

Future-Mrs-G what website did you use and how long did it take to come? I'm at my wits end trying to find a dress and can not stomach spending thousands on a dress that isn't even going to be the dream dress. I'm running out of time!