Where to pair with the Maldives for honeymoon in August?

Hi everyone

im having a bit of a honeymoon dilemma! We are set on going to the Maldives for one week for complete relaxation, and want to go to a different destination for the second week where we have a bit more to do (some relaxation but also a bit of sight seeing)

it's proving difficult finding somewhere with flights that connect well to the Maldives and has good weather in August. We do not want to go to Dubai or Sri Lanka. Safari's in Africa have come out way too expensive. 

We've been looking at options with Kuoni and we loved the idea of doing Thailand and Maldives because there are direct flights from Maldives to Bangkok and we can do some sight seeing in Thailand (temples, elephant sanctuaries etc). We also love the food and have always wanted to go there. However it is monsoon season in August! I'm so worried about spending all this money and it's completely washed out and flooded

Love the look of Bali and it is great weather in August but looks a nightmare to connect to the Maldives from here!

I know it's a long shot as I've eliminated a lot of places but does anyone have any suggestions?!

Also on a separate note has anyone been to Maldives in August? Is the weather good there?

Thanks in advance! Also please let me know where you went/are going I'd love to know! :)

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Hi Libby!

We have definitely chatted about the Maldives before  We had really good weather on our August honeymoon there last year - it rained for maybe two or three hours over the week. You have to watch where you go though. My understanding is that the islands on the South Atoll are more likely to experience rainy weather in August. We were in the North Atoll at Kuramathi Island.

I think you've eliminated most of your easy options there unfortunately! I actually think you need to be a little more practical too. It's an awful lot of travelling - you say you want to be quite active in Thailand. Is a week really enough for instance? Will you go home more tired than when you left? And actually, if you aren't planning to sit around the pool a lot, does it matter if it rains? Just food for thought! The thing about the tropics is that it's hard to escape the rain in the summer wherever you choose to go.

Another thing to consider as well is your actual journey in the Maldives. It's really long, not just the flights, but the waiting around and the actual transfer to your island too. In terms of you deciding where you'd go after the Maldives, we stopped off in Dubai for a few days before our flight back to the UK and it took nine hours from leaving the island to arriving in our Dubai hotel despite the actual flight itself only being four hours. It's pretty exhausting! I'd definitely aim to go somewhere with a direct flight. Bali also sounds amazing, but if the flights already sound like a nightmare, they probably will be! I would personally avoid unless you choose an additional stop in the middle (Singapore perhaps), but then I guess cost would be a concern. 

Personally - although I know everyone is different - I am really glad we didn't do too much travelling around after our wedding. I have never been more tired, and even though husband and I are generally active people, we could've easily extended our stay in the Maldives from a week to 10 nights! I would consider whether you are doing too much after such a big event in your life. You say you're set on the Maldives...why not just do that and save Thailand/Bali for another time when the weather is better and you don't have to endure a long journey for the sake of seeing somewhere else because it's your honeymoon? After all, they are separate honeymoon destinations in themselves! 

x

• Libby13Libby13 Posts: 243
    lubes wrote (see post):

Hi Libby!

We have definitely chatted about the Maldives before  We had really good weather on our August honeymoon there last year - it rained for maybe two or three hours over the week. You have to watch where you go though. My understanding is that the islands on the South Atoll are more likely to experience rainy weather in August. We were in the North Atoll at Kuramathi Island.

I think you've eliminated most of your easy options there unfortunately! I actually think you need to be a little more practical too. It's an awful lot of travelling - you say you want to be quite active in Thailand. Is a week really enough for instance? Will you go home more tired than when you left? And actually, if you aren't planning to sit around the pool a lot, does it matter if it rains? Just food for thought! The thing about the tropics is that it's hard to escape the rain in the summer wherever you choose to go.

Another thing to consider as well is your actual journey in the Maldives. It's really long, not just the flights, but the waiting around and the actual transfer to your island too. In terms of you deciding where you'd go after the Maldives, we stopped off in Dubai for a few days before our flight back to the UK and it took nine hours from leaving the island to arriving in our Dubai hotel despite the actual flight itself only being four hours. It's pretty exhausting! I'd definitely aim to go somewhere with a direct flight. Bali also sounds amazing, but if the flights already sound like a nightmare, they probably will be! I would personally avoid unless you choose an additional stop in the middle (Singapore perhaps), but then I guess cost would be a concern. 

Personally - although I know everyone is different - I am really glad we didn't do too much travelling around after our wedding. I have never been more tired, and even though husband and I are generally active people, we could've easily extended our stay in the Maldives from a week to 10 nights! I would consider whether you are doing too much after such a big event in your life. You say you're set on the Maldives...why not just do that and save Thailand/Bali for another time when the weather is better and you don't have to endure a long journey for the sake of seeing somewhere else because it's your honeymoon? After all, they are separate honeymoon destinations in themselves! 

x

Hi Lubes!

Thanks so much for your helpful reply. Yep we have chatted about the Maldives before, and I am still deliberating over it all! In fact it was you that made me want to go to Kuramathi, which is where we are planning on going :) I'm reassured to hear about the weather. I know it's unpredictable but it makes me feel better to hear from somebody who went in August and it didn't rain every day! 

How did you find the service at Kuramathi? Did it feel personal/special for honeymoon despite being a bigger island? And were there many children there? Travel Agents have said expect families and kids because of it being summer holidays and Kuramathi isn't adults only, but I can't imagine many families take their kids to the Maldives on holiday?! (If so I've clearly grown up in the wrong family haha) 

thanks for the advice, I think you're right we really need to think about the practicalities of it all - looks amazing on paper but do we really want all these long flights and connections after the wedding. We were given

• Libby13Libby13 Posts: 243

Agh how annoying it didn't post my full reply and now I can't remember what I said!

... We were given the option of 2 weeks at Kuramathi but to get it in budget we would need to spend the first week in a beach villa, then second week in an overwater villa. But H2B says it would be too boring doing 2 weeks in the Maldives! He thinks there isn't enough to do there and says that just doing nothing for 2 weeks will not be a memorable honeymoon (i disagree and think the Maldives would be pretty memorable and could quite happily relax there for the rest of my life!) 

maybe we could split the time between two Maldives islands. Or maybe we should reconsider Sri Lanka as its so close to the Maldives. So much to think about!

hope you're enjoying married life, I don't think I'm alone in saying I miss your planning thread all this time after! x

• We were looking at going to Maldives for our honeymoon next September but decided against it because the weather is unpredictable. we also looked at Thailand but that is even less likely to be nice weather! We've decided on Singapore for a few days (going for the Grand Prix so weather isn't too much of an issue here) and then a week in Bali. Bali weather seems to be a lot more predictable this time of year.

Saying that though, just because you're more or less guaranteed weather somewhere, that doesn't mean a volcano can't explode... *smirk*

• lubeslubes Posts: 1,555

Hi Libby!

Oh...I miss writing it! Perhaps I'll have to do a vow renewal someday so I can do it all over again 

Yeah it literally rained for like two hours over lunch one day and for maybe like an hour one other day. I think you just have to accept that going anywhere tropical in the world in the summer months generally results in rain at some point. It's almost like saying you want to go to Iceland in the winter 'as long as it isn't too cold'! ShitGotReal definitely makes a valid point about Bali's volcanos too. One of my husband's work colleagues had booked two weeks in Bali for his honeymoon and ended up only having a week there due to an eruption...it seems there's some sort of natural risk wherever you choose to go here!!

Yes Kuramathi was absolutely amazing. I would hesitate to recommend it as a honeymoon destination. There were a few families there (the super rich kind who go for the diving) but as all the accommodation is villas with private sunbeds, you can go all day without seeing anyone unless you want to. We had an overwater villa with pool and literally only spoke to waiters and barmen for a week :') We are friendly...really! The bars and restaurants were really quiet at night - they clearly know their core market is honeymooners as it did feel a lot of the time that we were at an adults only resort.

I don't blame your H2B for thinking that as we were nervous we would get bored easily too, but we were pleasantly surprised! In some ways, going to a bigger island had its advantages because there is loads to do - we could've easily filled two weeks with snorkelling, water sports and boat trips. 

I definitely think you should reconsider Sri Lanka if you want a second destination, particularly if you're interested in seeing the elephants and doing some more active stuff. I'm sure you've worked out that you will have to stopover somewhere to get a flight to the Maldives anyway so you might as well fly to somewhere like Sri Lanka rather than fly somewhere further away for the sake of it! Or just stay at Kuramathi for two weeks. I mean...duh! It's quite common to split time between villas and given that the island is quite big, you will have a different experience in both! x

• imageimageimage

I spent two weeks in Sri Lanka this summer, so happy to give any tips. I live in Dubai so Sri Lanka is very convenient. It’s a great place, so varied and has some beautiful hotels too. It’s an up and coming destination. Nowhere near as developed as the likes of Thailand etc, but I think it’s going to be the next big thing!

The mix of being able to be on the beach one day and then surrounded by elephants the next is amazing. We had a great time. the one thing I would say is that if you don’t want to be on the move every day, you will have to think Carefully about where to go. On our trip we had quite a bit of driving involved. The time of year will also dictate where is best to go because of the monsoon seasons.

Heres a couple of photos... 

P.S I get married next May in Santorini. Thinking Maldives for our honeymoon and just going to take our chances with the weather. Kuoni have recommended Kuramathi to us too.