Was Eighteen Weeks Long Enough? EPIPHANY'S REPORT

So, was 18 weeks long enough to plan our wedding …?

Well we had a wonderful day, despite less than perfect weather, and despite forgetting to do some things we’d planned, and some things not quite happening as planned!

I suppose that shows that planning every little thing down to the last moment and detail is perhaps a waste of time – events seem to take over and weddings have a life of their own; I wish I’d had an overall person in charge so we weren’t called on for every little thing.  A smarter venue may have had a master of ceremonies, and an older best man could have controlled things a little more – there I go, thinking of ‘control’ over the day.  As it was, it evolved to suit the guests and the mood and some wonderful things happened and evolved and we had an amazing day – and so did the guests!

It all feels so long ago even though it’s just three days – it hasn’t helped that my new husband had to go abroad for work the day after the wedding and isn’t back til the end of the week!  And I’ve been back at work for two days.

The last week was such a rush – another week would have been great, but perhaps we would have filled that too!

• EpiphanyEpiphany Posts: 718

The official photographs will take about another two and a half weeks.  I'm hoping that I'll have some more sent to me soon from friends - in the meantime I can tell you about the last day or so before the wedding and also post some pictures I have of the flowers.

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

Yay looking forward to it.

• wed172Bwed172B Posts: 1,258

Yeah can't wait x

• Congratulations! Can’t wait for this x

Thank you - I hope you won't be disappointed!

Wedding Day minus 2 - Thursday.

What a busy day! There was so much to do - collect husband's suit, get my nails done, get the car cleaned (as husband's company car was going to be the wedding car) get my eyebrows waxed, pick up the frame for people to sign instead of a wedding guest book, collect my son from the station ...clean the church (third major clean operation!) attend the rehearsal and pick up the Best Man which is a 5 hour round trip!   I also had to get all the beds changed, sorted, and inflated where required as we would have a houseful of 9 or 10 guests over the wedding weekend.

We also had quite a bit of stuff to take to the venue!

Even though I was really organised, I was amazed at how much still had to be done in the last few days (some of it avoidable, perhaps!)

I seemed to remember I hadn't had my nails done before, but I remembered I got them done a few years ago, and because of that I'm not a fan of gels - I think they ruin the quality of your nails, but, because I still had cleaning jobs and housework to do I thought gels would be safer than an ordinary manicure.

I chose a subtle sort of nude colour - there were some lovely shades, and some with sheens and sparkles, but I felt less is more when it comes to nails so went for a soft nude-y pink.  My nails grow like mad and don't tend to break, so I'd got them fairly long before the appointment, but the nail lady filed them down a fair bit.  She asked lots of questions about shape and length, but I left it to her as she is the expert!

The church cleaning was really hard work, even though we'd spent a couple of Tuesday evenings scrubbing and mopping the floor.  Because it was so grimy, all our cleaning had left a kind of thick, silty, almost sandy deposit over the floor, so we had no choice but to start again.

There's no water in the church so every drop had to be transported from home in buckets and watering cans.  We took a kettle along to heat up water, but gave up after a while as it was too time consuming.  My son was fantastic at scrubbing the silt and dirt out of the depressions and indentations in the slate gravestones than ran up the aisle and lay in front of the altar, then mopping up the water that pooled there and drying it all with old towels.  (Arriving home that night with half a dozen sopping dirty towels that needed a hot wash and hanging out to dry didn't do much for my stress levels!)

My brother came along too, and he brushed all the pews to remove the mouse and bat poo, wiped them all, and then polished them with spray wood polish and dusters.  I polished the pews up in the choir stall and the pulpit, and then the warden came in and opened the vestry so that I could polish the big brass cross that was locked away in there - it was big and heavy and took several 'goes' with Brasso before it started to look reasonable!  Then i finished of the bottle of Brasso cleaning the lectern!

V, my husband, moved all the old chairs away and the boxes of books and other things that were in the entrance way and washed the floor in the entrance way, and moved all the frayed kneelers to the back of the church.

The rehearsal was lovely - very emotional and both V and I teared up a few times.  It was very useful - my son was able to practise the handing over of my hand to V's hand via the vicar's - quite tricky really!

Then it was a quick and final tidy of the church, as I noticed the porch 'seats' along the side were really dusty and covered in leaves, a kiss goodbye to V as he set off to get his son, and my son and I walked back over the field home.  We said how it would be lovely to walk to the church across the field if the weather was good - luckily we didn't bank on that as the weather turned out to be far from good!  

But I loved walking back over the field that evening with my boy, carrying buckets and cans and mops between us over the newly ploughed field.  I did stop to take a picture of the church as we left too.

• Tanya128Tanya128 Posts: 1,993

Yay! Looking forward to this. Beautiful church.

• VegasLouVegasLou Posts: 820 New bride

Congratulations! Lovely photo of the church.

• Congratulations! Can't wait to read more.

Thank you!

I forgot to mention that after I had had my nails done I went along to the framing shop.  We had been in the week before to buy a frame and get a mount cut which would be wide enough for the signatures of our guests instead of a guest book.

I arrived there around half past eleven and was in a bit of a rush because I'd got a meeting at the venue booked - just to check final details/dietary requirements.  But when I went in, the frame and mount wasn't ready - and they asked if I could wait 15 minutes.   It was supposed to have been ready the day before. I said I didn't think I could as I was running late, but that I may be able to come back that way in the afternoon, but they said they were closing in an hour for the rest of the day....I must have looked a bit panic stricken then, so they said, oh, the framing guy is here, it will take literally 40 seconds.  I laughed and said even though I was really tight on time, I could definitely spare 40 seconds, and they disappeared into the back room to finish cutting the mount.  I paid for it all at the till.

5 minutes went by, 10 minutes ... in the end I had to apologise profusely and rush out of the shop - I had to get home to gather stuff up for the venue meeting!  In the end the traffic home was so bad (stuck behind 2 tractors one of which stopped in a single track lane to empty it's load of hay into a field) that when I got in, I had to call the venue and say I'd come the next day!  The lady was fine about it though, but I did feel unhappy - I hate being late.

Ten minutes later the phone rang - it was the framing shop.  The lady who worked there lived near me and was heading home and she said she would drop it off!  Phew!

Wedding Day minus 1 - Friday

By Friday I felt I was totally organised .... unfortunately V wasn't!  Yes, his suit still had to be collected; he'd had to work on Thursday, although managed to get away for the rehearsal and to collect his son.  But the playlist wasn't done, and his suit still wasn't here...

So he and his son went into town to pick up the suit, and I went off to the venue with a full packed car to drop off all the last minute things, including the cake which I had rushed around to my neighbour's to pick up that morning!  It was all wrapped in foil and tins and then in a couple of big boxes - she said she'd used 46 eggs to make the sponges.  The buttercream was in two huge margarine tubs.  I packed it all together with my cake topper, 3 Bonne Maman jars of blueberry jam and shoved it in the car.  I could only just shut the doors of the car - and off I set down the windy country lanes to get to my venue - praying the cake wouldn't fall off the seats!

When I got there they were putting the pom poms up.  I have to say I didn't want them clumped together, I wanted them spread around evenly, but they'd just about finished when I arrived and I felt - ah well, they look pretty good.

As it turned out, I think the pom poms were the biggest waste of time of the whole planning procedure - the weather was so cold and wet that nobody went down to the barn ... same goes for the photo area although some people did take pictures before the afternoon tea and a few more did a little later - but more on that soon!

The meeting was in fact very quick once I'd carried the cake in.  The chef came out and said something like 'Blimey, that is a LOT of cake!' - which it was - I had 3 x 11 inch sponges, 3 x 9inch, 7 inch and 5 inch sponges.  

We had a chat and he said that he could probably make 2 cakes out of it if I would prefer - but I said I'd like one really tall one if possible.  I had lots of dowel rods and some proper cake stabiliser things and I said I didn't mind if it was a bit precarious and rustic looking and he said if that's what I wanted, he'd give it a go!  I said, fine, but if it has to be two cakes sitting together then I wasn't going to make a fuss ... but I did really hope he could do one tall one!

(In the end I was so pleased with it.  When I walked in and saw it on my wedding day I was delighted.  It was tall, rustic, and beautiful - the chef had decorated it with blueberries (I'd taken those along too) and raspberries and figs, and thick spreadings of jam and buttercream.  The hydrangea for the top which we'd saved especially had got lost somewhere in the proceedings, but the cake topper was lovely on its own, and they grabbed a couple of hydrangeas out of a vase to put at the base!)

As I've mentioned the cake, I'll post a picture, although it isn't in the right order really!!

• Mrs_BadgerMrs_Badger Posts: 1,440

Wow thats a big cake!

imageLater on on Friday V came back with his suit and then we had to rush to the venue with the last bits - he had got some photos printed of to string around the outside barn - they looked nice and we found some labels to tag them with.

Then we went to get the car cleaned - I think!  the last day was a blur, but we just got the outside cleaned as we were in a rush.  While we were waiting for the car to be cleaned, we just popped into the pub next door and had a hot chocolate - it was great to have a few minutes peace together!

Our relaxation was short lived - we got back home at about 5.45pm.  I wanted to get started on some bolognese sauce to make a huge lasagne to feed everyone - we already had our two boys there, but my daughter and V's 2 daughters were on their way with their partners.  Unfortunately my oldest son lives abroad over in Asia with his family so they couldn't come as they have a young baby. 

Anyway, I was gearing up for a long session in the kitchen when my son said we'd had a call just before we got in and one of the guests had said she was going to bring her elderly father if that was ok ....!

So with about 18 hours til the wedding, I had to make another tag for my table plan - it was too late to call the venue, so I just had to assume it would be ok and we worked out we'd just have to take the extra tag along with us when we went!  So much for making the table plan weeks in advance!

The plan did look lovely on the day though!

At some point during the evening we put up the 'zed-bed' and crammed it into a bedroom alongside another single bed.  We inflated the double bed and put it in the dining room for my daughter and her partner, and we inflated a single bed in the lounge for my son.  The other beds were changed and made ready - we had a funny old mismatch of bedding as I was using up everything I had!

During the evening various children arrived from all over the country - they had between 3 and 7 hours travelling to do.  Dresses and suits were hung up in doorways, tidied rooms were suddenly full of suitcases - there wasn't an inch to move in!

Then suddenly, but probably a bit later than I would have liked, it was bed time!  I cuddled up to V and went out like a light!

I was really pleased that I didn't wake up til just before 7 - nearly 7 hours of sleep is good for me - although I did dream all night that I wasn't getting any sleep and that I was exhausted on my wedding day!

I ran a bath as I didn't want to wash my hair before going to the hairdressers, and the rest of 'the crew' started having showers and breakfast - we just put the toaster on the table in the end I think, as 'the wedding party' waded through several packets of Warburton's crumpets (glad I over-catered, they were ravenous!)

I carefully laid out my dress on the bed so it didn't get knocked off its hanger in all the rushing about.

imageimage

Just before I left, the water tank ran out, with one shower left to go .... I couldn't really think about sorting that out, so my daughter and I left them all to it - I gather it wasn't long before it was full again.  I reminded them all the time they should be leaving, reminded V to take the money for the organist, ice cream van and band along with him, in case I wasn't back and my daughter and I left just as the photographer was arriving!

I expect in two weeks, I'll have the official photos taken while everyone else got ready: and so I suppose I will have to suspend this report til then!

But I do have some pictures of the flowers - some of them! - and I can show you those now.  It's strange, I really loved the flowers but they were nothing like I thought they'd be - they didn't really follow the brief at all ... I wanted a large and loose bouquet and the florist had copies of all my inspiration pictures, and the buttonholes were supposed to be made from herbs and thistles with a little bit of hydrangea in them. 

I guess looking back I was a bit disappointed with the buttonholes - I do love flowers and had wanted a certain 'look' - in the end the buttonholes were very conservative.  But, as I think all brides say after the event, it didn't really matter!  Beforehand, certain details mean so much, but on the day, which zooms by in a blur, there is so much else to focus on - the marriage, the guests and your new spouse!

But I did love the bouquet and mu daughter's posy.

imageimage

• fab dress.....  can't believe you're going to make us wait two weeks to see a picture of you in it though, lol x

Thank you - it isn't the most exciting dress in the world, but suited me - I'm a 'mature bride' to say the least, and it isn't my first wedding;  I felt this was bridal-ish because of the white lace and applique details without trying too hard.... I might pluck up courage and post something before that!

Also, Ali, it looks better off than it does on, I'm afraid! :)

My daughter's partner put the ribbons and balloons on the car for us - think he was glad to get out of the house during the morning!

V was worried in case the sellotape or ribbon damaged the car or in case the rain discoloured the paintwork when the ribbons got wet, as it isn't our car but belongs to the company he works for - but it was all ok - note the bloomin' pom pom on the front!  If I never have to fluff another pom pom it will be too soon! ;)

• Yayyyyyy Congratulations!!! xxxxx

I've been so excited to read your report xxx

Thank you, Ruthie!

I've got a picture of me and V which I'll post below, and then I may have to wait til the official pictures - in 2 weeks - to do the report properly!

• lauren318lauren318 Posts: 482

Aww it all looks fab look the flowers and the cake! x

• Wibs77Wibs77 Posts: 414

Yay love the photo you both look really happy. I can't wait to see more 

thank you Lauren and Wibs!

Only 2 weeks til the official pictures and then I can add a lot more pictures, and go through the day a bit more systematically!

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 990 New bride

YAY! I’ve been looking forward to this report! 

Your dress looks beautiful (can’t wait to see the official photos) and I love the cake!! (I wish I could bake lol) 

Can’t wait to read the rest! 

Thanks Laura - once the official pictures are here I will go through it all starting on the wedding morning.  I have so few 'unoffical pictures' at the moment, it would be a scant report, and I do like reports with lots of pictures! :)

• Laura349Laura349 Posts: 990 New bride

I can’t wait to see them! 

Weve began planning again (with everything that’s been going on my cousins said we need a good wedding to cheer us up!) I love your cake (I wish I was good at baking!)