Eeek! Here we go..January 2019

I’ve recently joined the forum and love all the planning threads so thought I’d get started.

So far it has all been quite straight forward but I can see me getting stressed as time goes on.

About Us

We met 7 years ago, I’d just got out of a very draining marriage and had absolutely no interest in a new relationship and two young boys to look after. 

I was on a night out with the girls and he was in the pub after being to watch the football. My friend got chatting to him and gave him my business card (I book hotels and he’d just started working for his brothers new company). We sang a bit of Queen together and did X Factor impersonations . 

The next day I got an email to ‘Miiiiiichelle Vaaaarney’ I’d been telling him all night it was Harney. It made me laugh and we exchanged emails for about 3 weeks before he eventually asked me out on a date.

After the first date he told me he was moving to Leeds for work 🙄 We still made it work with a lot of travel across the  M62 and eventually he managed to negotiate being in Leeds 3 days a week and moved back to Manchester.

Two house moves, one house bought and taking forever to move into (due Jan 17 and still not in!!) and one gorgeous daughter and he eventually popped the question. 

The Proposal

I love a bit of sunshine so we had booked a weekend to Barcelona for the end of September (no Kids!!). I’d booked an amazing Michelin star restaurant for the Saturday lunch and as I’m a bit itinerary crazy he had a two hour slot that he could plan after that 😂

Weeks before we left he came home from his Reiki session to say he’d won a voucher in the raffle, I quickly snapped it up to have my nails done for Barca. Little did I know this was a huge plot and the girls in the salon knew and even guided my choice of colours.

Anyway back to the story, he was so stressed in the taxi as the traffic was terrible with the Catalan vote the next day. We eventually made in to the port for our private catamaran trip and it started to rain. Typical. 

We still had a lovely time, drinking cava and swam in the sea which was still amazingly warm. He had planned to propose as we sailed back at sunset but the captain was too close to us the whole time and it was too cloudy.

I was oblivious to all this and decided we would take our unfinished cava and sit by the docks and watch the boats. He said this was brilliant as it made the perfect opportunity and as we sat watching the world go by he put his arm around me and produced the ring! He couldn’t have chosen any better for me! 

So here we go, a wedding to plan!

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 606 New bride

The Venue

My first choice was Oddfellows on the Park, it’s recently opened in the Park I went to as a child and where I now take my own children so it just felt right. It’s a beautiful venue but I have eaten there three times and the food was poor and service really slow. They took weeks to reply to simple questions so I was already having major doubts.

I emailed The Stanneylands as a back up, having been to see the venue with work earlier in the year I knew it was a contender.  Strangely I attended a work event at their sister hotel and was sat next to the GM. We got chatting about the problems with Oddfellows and he suggested we come in and meet with him at Stanneylands and he would personally look after us.

We had a look around the following week and he set out costings which were a third of Oddfellows and would basically make anything we want happen. I knew there and then this would be much better for the planner in me 🙌 He then gave us a teddy bear to take home for our little girl and that sealed the deal!

imageimage

The Food

We both love our food so it is really important that the venue get this right which is one of my main reasons for dropping Oddfellows.

I want to keep it simple so they can focus on the quality they put out. At the moment we have the following 

Welcome white cocktail 

canapés 

Small beer tankards with a burger

Chips with ketchup/mayo

mini hotdogs 

Wedding Breakfast

Starter - Sharing charcuterie board on lazy susan 

Main - Fish, chips and peas, the hotel want us to do posh but I think I just want traditional but not decided 

Dessert - Cheese & biscuits on lazy susan (H2B is not a dessert fan). Kids will get ice cream but we only have 5 of them. 

Tea, coffee and chocolates to be served in bar while room is being turned around

Buffet

Retro buffet with pineapple sticks etc but still working on how to present this so it doesn’t look too rubbish. We will also be serving our cake with the buffet.

The Cars

I dragged a hungover H2B to the wedding show two weeks ago as punishment and it backfired. He saw a Jurassic Park Jeep and had to have it. £250 blew when he could have got a cab 🙄🙄

I‘m staying at the sister hotel the night before as they have a huge suite to get ready in and lesuire so the older kids can have a swim while I get hair and make up done. We‘ve booked an Imperial Car to take me, my mum, Dad, sister and 3 kids to the venue. I’m not fussed on cars but it keeps my mother happy and we get some fizz included. 

imageimage

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 960 New bride

Ah a new thread  lovely to read so far!  What date are you getting married?

Thanks Kelly, 4 January 2019.  My sister had a bit of a hissy fit about it, apparently it's too close to Christmas and very selfish.  The most selfish date I could have chosen.  She didn't speak to me for 3 days but eventually apologised so hoping she is over it now.  Family haha! 

Sure there will be more of this behaviour to come ;0) 

• Yay, a new thread!  We're having our blessing in '19 too!  I am jel of you as I wanted a fall or winter wedding as well. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your date.  In fact, I think you've chosen fabulously.  You know that HUGE letdown after Christmas and NY's are over??  Well now you and your closest all have something to look forward to!

Absolutely right!!  That's a fab date - something lovely to look forward to.

I'm 9th December next year so that's probably too close to Christmas for some people as well but hey ho!!

Thank you both :) I think some people just like to find something to moan about although at the time I was in tears to my mum as I just wanted everyone to be happy for us.

I'm so excited for a winter wedding no worry about if the sun will shine.

Kelly I'm off to stalk your thread, I've got so many ideas I really need to pull it all together as at the moment it's a bit all over the show! 

ooh I'm so hoping for a gorgeous frosty, sunny day!!  Probably wishful thinking - more likely end up with grey, rainy and windy but such is life!!

The Cake

I've just put the deposit down on our cake, as I mentioned further up H2B is not a cake fan so we have compromised on a 3 tier semi naked cake filled with Haribo.  Will be a bit of a surprise when we cut the cake too.

Going to have three different flavours but these are undecided at the moment, might let the kids pick a flavour each.

Music

We've booked a string quartet for the ceremony and drinks reception, they will be playing the Jurassic Park theme tune as H2B had it set in his head our daughter would be born to this but as she made a pretty quick entrance to the world he never got time to play any music!

We've also booked the Funtime Frankies for the evening, I had said H2B could chose the band but couldn't resist having a say and these looked much more fun than anyone he found.  Did I mention I am a control freak??! ;-)

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

ooh I'm so hoping for a gorgeous frosty, sunny day!!  Probably wishful thinking - more likely end up with grey, rainy and windy but such is life!!

Oh me too I want snow although some of our guests are coming over from Yorkshire so might not be the best for them!  I think picture with umbrellas look so good so a bit of rain might be a blessing

Venue Decoration

So this is looking like a huge stumbling block, realistically we won’t have time to do much ourselves so need a venue dresser but the costs are so much we are looking for around £3k for what I want 😬

imageimage

I want it to be really magical and wintery so the quotes have included

6 x blossom trees with hanging tea lights 

60x chair sashes

LOVE letters

White dancefloor

top table decoration 

isle decoration with led candles and petals 

I also need the ceremony room draping which is another £500 as it’s too corporate to me as it is (its wood panelled with pictures on the walls) 

I‘m going to do the table plan myself but it all seems so costly 🙈

We booked the registrar this week so that’s one thing ticked off the list.

Still can’t decide on a photographer, my sister is a fashion photographer and her partner travel and neither are being much help in this quest! Just telling me everyone I do find is rubbish :( I’ve got a Skype call next week with one they hated so we’ll see. 

I don’t think I’ve mentioned the wedding party yet either..

My only bridesmaid will be our little girl who will be 4 when we get married, page boys are my boys who will be 10 and 13. And that’s it! Best man is H2Bs brother, no ushers 

Not sure if this will be a mistake on the day. My friend has said she’d love to direct people to their seats on the day without me having to buy her an outfit or gift ;-) not sure what else ushers actually do..

Went to try on some dresses yesterday and it was a disaster. I didn’t love anything, have spent today looking at other local shops but feel overwhelmed with it all. 

I’ve got a date booked in for January to go with my best friend so will keep searching for somewhere 

• MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

Went to try on some dresses yesterday and it was a disaster. I didn’t love anything, have spent today looking at other local shops but feel overwhelmed with it all. 

I’ve got a date booked in for January to go with my best friend so will keep searching for somewhere 

I have to admit, I love your h2b's choice of car!

As for the dress shopping, try not to worry too much. The first time I went, I liked some of the dresses, but there was nothing I could imagine getting. I worked myself up, thinking what to do if I didn't find one I loved, when I found the perfect dress when I least expected it. You still have a long time to go, so I don't doubt you will find something you love in time.

Thanks Lauren that actually does make me feel better, everyone I spoke to has found their dress straight away, so nice to hear from someone who didn't.  I've found two more shops that stock dresses I like so fingers crossed they look nice on :)  

• Don't be down about the dress situation at all!  I'm probably generalising when I say this, but it seems to me that when we've been married before, that we become more particular in what we want, esp in terms of dress.  The first time, it seems like any gorgeous, big, white dress will do - the second time or third time around, I feel like we get more particular. More focused on really finding the right look, the most flattering fit, something that says something about our personality. Even if it isn't overly bridal. Even if it isn't white.  You know what I mean?  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying first time brides aren't picky.  I just think we go into it with a different perspective. So don't be afraid to be really particular, to take your time, and to think outside of the box.

I think you are right, the first time I bought from the first shop and was led by what my sister and mum wanted not by what I wanted.  Which was why I didn't want them to come along but my sister had planned her trip up from London the same weekend I had already made the appointments for so I begrudgingly asked them along.  I think I need to just enjoy the whole experience more and not focus on finding the 'one' so much!

I've had a really good look online and think the two new shops look much better and stock more my style of dress, so fingers crossed it's a better feel.

I've eventually found a photographer we love too and having a chat with him tomorrow morning so this has put me in better spirits as I was driving myself mad looking at them all.

Photographer

So today we found the perfect photographer we’ve booked The Crawleys as his style looks so much fun and he limits posed photos to 25 minutes and we want to spend as much time as possible with our family and friends 

I so feel like this is a massive weight off my shoulders as I’ve spent so much time researching and I know it’s the only thing we’ll have afterwards I wanted the choice to be perfect.

I’m a bit conscious that we don’t have a theme and we’ve just booked a whole host of things we love and hope it all comes together. But I’ve decided to worry about this next year once we’ve moved house and got Xmas out of the way 

I’ve ordered our save the dates too so they should come in the next two weeks. Very excited for these! I’ve spent forever trying to get our wedding website to work, we bought the domain from 1and1 and then the package from appycouple but I couldn’t get the host records right. Luckily it’s all sorted and working now ready to send the save the dates out with Xmas cards :) 

Shoes

This has to be my favourite topic! I love shoes! and I’ve just noticed I haven’t mentioned them. Wedding planning is messing with my brain.

These are what I have in mind at the moment with matching flats for my littlest. We (ok I!) love a bit of twinning. I’m waiting to see what I spend on the dress before I break the news of shoe costings to P. 

Our save the dates have arrived!!

I‘m full of a cold and managed to hurt my foot jumping off a table on Friday night so these cheered me right up. Spent tonight putting the pencils through the card and updating the guest list on our website.

Here‘s a pic of them

Can‘t wait to get them posted. Gave my mum and Dad theirs and they couldn’t have been less interested if they had tried 😂 oh well I’ve RSVPd for the kids so we have guests now 🙌

So I mentioned we had considered Oddfellows for our wedding. I went to a Christmas Party there on Saturday and it was awful. Cold food, bad service and no festivity. I’m SO glad we didn’t book them.

I’m going to nip into our venue over the next few weeks for lunch and to have a nosey at the Christmas decorations.

We move house on Friday so wedding planning is taking a bit of a back seat. 

One year today!!!!!!!!

I've done zero planning since my last post, the move was so stressful and we are still without internet (I HATE BT!!!)

However we are off to London this weekend which is the perfect pre anniversary and I have booked my flight to Valencia for my hen do which I can't wait for! It's mega early 22 June as we wanted guaranteed sun and I'll be having an afternoon tea nearer the big date.

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride
    MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

One year today!!!!!!!!

I've done zero planning since my last post, the move was so stressful and we are still without internet (I HATE BT!!!)

However we are off to London this weekend which is the perfect pre anniversary and I have booked my flight to Valencia for my hen do which I can't wait for! It's mega early 22 June as we wanted guaranteed sun and I'll be having an afternoon tea nearer the big date.

Exactly the same as me!  I am doing Valencia with my BMs and a few besties, and then an afternoon tea in the UK :-)  

britbird wrote (see post):
    MrsGtoB wrote (see post):

One year today!!!!!!!!

Exactly the same as me!  I am doing Valencia with my BMs and a few besties, and then an afternoon tea in the UK :-)  

Oooh we will have to share info, are you staying in a hotel or apartment? I am seriously excited to go :)

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride

We haven't booked anything yet- we don't go until Sept, and a few of the girls haven't booked flights yet, so am waiting for that so we can go ahead and book the rooms.  I think we are going to do a paella making class, and chill lots on the beach.  There will probably be quite a lot of foodie related stuff as we are all into our Michelin stars!  

britbird wrote (see post):

We haven't booked anything yet- we don't go until Sept, and a few of the girls haven't booked flights yet, so am waiting for that so we can go ahead and book the rooms.  I think we are going to do a paella making class, and chill lots on the beach.  There will probably be quite a lot of foodie related stuff as we are all into our Michelin stars!  

We are the same 7 have booked so far. The paella making looks great, I think we might try the beach club but not sure whether to go day or night yet. I would love to go to an amazing restaurant but a few aren’t that fussed so think we’ll have to cater for the masses 😕

Cocktails and sun though 👌👌

As per my last post I’ve been a bit distracted with the new house and making this bad boy!!  

We are definitely having a gin trolley at the wedding and my lovely friend has offered to pay for it. I just need to get a price from the venue. We missed the open day on Sunday so I’ve got an appointment on Monday to meet the coordinator. Really looking forward to this.

We’ve written the last of the save the dates and they will be posted tomorrow. RSVPs are already coming in via the website which is so exciting!

No dress but I decided to order this 🙈

Hoping it’s as big as it looks as I wanted a large one 

The argument with my sister over the wedding date is still ongoing so that is getting me down a bit. Hoping my dad will have a word and resolve it...

I had a meeting at our venue today and have finalised our menu 🍽

We are having a white winter cocktail for reception drink (beer for another option) 

Canapes - mini burgers with mini beers, mini scotch eggs and mini sausage and mash

Starter - charcuterie sharing board

Main - Fish and chips (deep fried halloumi for Veggies or non fish eaters) with sharing portions of garden peas, mushy peas, curry sauce and gravy 

Desert - Cheese sharing board 

Evening buffet - selection of pizza and garlic bread and we will serve our cake 

We are going for our tasting in the summer and I can’t wait 

They are also going to allocate a member of staff to the gin trolley so they can talk people through the options and botanicals 

It was a great meeting and I have now met the wedding coordinator so I don’t have to bombard the General Manager anymore 😂

Our venue also had a Santa’s grotto this year so they have said they will keep it up for us next year 

I’m thinking we could set up a video camera and people sit in the chair and leave us a message instead of a guest book. Is this too complicated?