Where to go on honeymoon?

Had no ceremony so have a really healthy honeymoon budget of around £10k, would prefer not to spend all that though! I'm quite well-travelled so a bit hard to please as I'd like to go somewhere new (visited most of Europe, North Africa, India, China, Japan, South Korea, South East Asia, Indonesia, Argentina, Brazil, the USA, Cuba, the Dominican Republic etc). We can spend 1 week-3 weeks on our honeymoon, time is not really a limitation as we are both freelancers. 

My husband is easy going though would prefer to not move around too much.

Below are some places I'd love to visit and preferences. Would appreciate destination-specific suggestions:

Tonga 

South Pacific Islands Cruise

Kenya (safari & giraffe manor)

South Africa

Ecuador (Mashpi Lodge https://www.nationalgeographiclodges.com/lodges/south-america/mashpi-lodge/about/)

Luxurious train journey (orient Express, blue train in South Africa)

Seychelles

Mauritius

Australia 

New Zealand

Costa Rica

Hawaii

Belize

St Vincent and the Grenadines

Dominica 

St Lucia

(open to more suggestions)

What I'm after:

-Luxury accommodation (preferably small, boutique feel hotel) with comfortable rooms. 

-Good food (vegetarian friendly)

-Somewhere secluded, quiet and romantic.

-Nearby wildlife and culture would be a plus.

-Happy to be in the jungle/rainforest, on a safari, in a colonial style house or luxury train. Open to beach destinations if small cove. 

What I'm not after:

-Somewhere with huge sandy beaches and expanses of water or snow. I'd love this, but I've recently developed quite severe eye floaters which I'm not yet used to. These might spoil it for me a bit. Smaller coves and jungle views might be okay.

-Resorts. I don't like the large scale resorts which feel more impersonal, produce all food in a central kitchen and play loud music.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions for destinations, accommodation etc. Thanks for reading :)

• Jan17Jan17 Posts: 30

Hi, 

This isn’t on your list of destinations so I’m not sure if it would be of interest but based on the above I would recommend South Luangwa in Zambia. I stayed in Kafunta River Lodge and It was amazing my favourite African Safari and I’ve been on many!

There are a total of 8 rooms (little lodges) so it has that exclusive feel about it. It is located right next to the nature reserve and so you are surrounded by Wildlife. Elephants are especially drawn to the lodge due to the mango trees on the grounds, I even had Elephants on my little patio! Also the staff are lovely, I‘m sure they would cater for vegetarians, I don’t eat red meat and they always ensured I had plenty of choice. There is a spa, infinity pool and a natural hot spring which was lovely. In the nature reserve itself you rarely see other vehicles unlike South Africa for example and we had some amazing animal sightings. You could always twin this with visiting Victoria Falls too.

https://www.luangwa.com/our-camps

For Kenya my friend always raves about the governors camp in the Maasai Mara but I’ve not stayed there. 

https://www.governorscamp.com/

Lastly for Seychelles Bird Island is a wonderful and exclusive lodge but if you don’t want large expanses of water I’m  not sure how you would feel about it. I spent the summer 2008 working in Seychelles so my information so may be dated but the Baynan Tree hotel in Mahe looked stunning and had lovely food.

https://www.birdislandseychelles.com/

http://www.banyantree.com/en/em-seychelles

Sorry for the essay!!!

• KT80KT80 Posts: 110

We went to New York & LOVED it!!!! I had never been so far away before or flown longhaul so I was nervous - but felt genuinely sad to come home! Loved it all, it was brilliant & we are already desperate to go back & its only been a fortnight! :)

• TiaMariaTiaMaria Posts: 120

Bora Bora? Looks amazing and is my dream destination! 

• We're going to the Seychelles for two weeks. The Seychelles is expensive so we've compromised by not having quite as nice accommodation as we originally wanted (no private pools :(). We're visiting three islands (Praslin, La Digue and Silhouette) and we're spending £8k which includes half board in two hotels, B&B in the other, direct flights from LHR and all transfers.

We booked through Turquoise who were wonderful. We were originally going to DIY our trip to save money but when we realised the pain of organising transfers between hotels to ports/airports and islands we decided to go with a travel agent.

On Praslin we're staying in L'Archipel which is a small creole style boutique hotel which has its own little private cove beach (unusual for the Seychelles), Le Domaine de Orangeraie in La Digue (another boutique) and then the Hilton Labriz in Silhouette because I wanted that private island experience without the private island price tag. (Labriz is the only hotel on Silhouette and it was considerably cheaper than staying on the 'proper' private Islands of Denis, North or Bird Island).

There's also a decent amount to do on these Islands that aren't beaches (national parks, cycling round the island, rainforest treks, giant tortoise fancying) which appealed to us, as while I love my beach time, my h2b is less keen to sit and do nothing for hours).

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298
    TiaMaria wrote (see post):

Just be aware of cost- a lady at my work did Tahiti/Bora Bora and it set them back about 15k for the flights and hotels for 10 days. That's before any food or activities. I think it's one of the most expensive places to holiday in the world!

They also used Turquoise and were very happy with them- they got them an upgrade to a water villa for free etc. So I would suggest having a word with them!

• LizzieBHLizzieBH Posts: 196

Of the places I’ve been to on your list, I’d say Ecuador – the jungle, wildlife and culture are all amazingly interesting, and you can get a lot of luxury without breaking the bank. Unfortunately I’ve only been as a backpacker so don’t have any good recommendations for accommodation!

But the Seychelles or an African safari could happily meet your criteria too. (I’ve only done a safari in Zimbabwe, which while definitely not luxurious, was incredible for the seclusion – we had places to ourselves that in Kenya or SA would have been teeming with tourists.)

I also loved Belize, but to be honest (I'll stress this is of course just my opinion!) I feel like the Caribbean somehow doesn't feel special enough for a honeymoon; flights are often affordable so you might as well make it a future holiday. Like you I’ve also travelled a lot, so we’re looking at honeymooning somewhere where we would never ordinarily go. In our case we're planning on the South Pacific.

• weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

We're going to the Seychelles for two weeks. The Seychelles is expensive so we've compromised by not having quite as nice accommodation as we originally wanted (no private pools :(). We're visiting three islands (Praslin, La Digue and Silhouette) and we're spending £8k which includes half board in two hotels, B&B in the other, direct flights from LHR and all transfers.

We booked through Turquoise who were wonderful. We were originally going to DIY our trip to save money but when we realised the pain of organising transfers between hotels to ports/airports and islands we decided to go with a travel agent.

On Praslin we're staying in L'Archipel which is a small creole style boutique hotel which has its own little private cove beach (unusual for the Seychelles), Le Domaine de Orangeraie in La Digue (another boutique) and then the Hilton Labriz in Silhouette because I wanted that private island experience without the private island price tag. (Labriz is the only hotel on Silhouette and it was considerably cheaper than staying on the 'proper' private Islands of Denis, North or Bird Island).

There's also a decent amount to do on these Islands that aren't beaches (national parks, cycling round the island, rainforest treks, giant tortoise fancying) which appealed to us, as while I love my beach time, my h2b is less keen to sit and do nothing for hours).

I am also going to Seychelles!! We are staying at the Hilton Labriz on Sillhouette and Denis island. It is expensive I totally agree, but seems a good balance of nature and conservation with luxury, without the "resort" type feel. The food is also meant to be amazing. 

What time of year are you going?

• Winslet86 wrote (see post):
    weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

We're going to the Seychelles for two weeks. The Seychelles is expensive so we've compromised by not having quite as nice accommodation as we originally wanted (no private pools :(). We're visiting three islands (Praslin, La Digue and Silhouette) and we're spending £8k which includes half board in two hotels, B&B in the other, direct flights from LHR and all transfers.

I am also going to Seychelles!! We are staying at the Hilton Labriz on Sillhouette and Denis island. It is expensive I totally agree, but seems a good balance of nature and conservation with luxury, without the "resort" type feel. The food is also meant to be amazing. 

What time of year are you going?

We're going right at the beginning of November next year (we fly out on Halloween and arrive on Nov 1st). How about you? I would have loved to have stayed on Denis (the idea of watching turtle egg laying and hatching really appealed) but we definitely wanted to do Praslin & La Digue, so it would have blown the budget. We thought Silhouette was a good alternative!

• weatherwaxe

We are going beginning of September for 2 weeks. Yeah Denis sounded amazing as I am a big fan of nature. So many good places to see though, and praslin and La Dique will be awesome.

I can't wait for the Hilton Labriz though. Someone told me if you ask to upgrade rooms when you are there there is a chance you will either get it for free or for a much cheaper price if there is availability.

• Ella36Ella36 Posts: 31
    Jan17 wrote (see post):

Hi, 

This isn’t on your list of destinations so I’m not sure if it would be of interest but based on the above I would recommend South Luangwa in Zambia. I stayed in Kafunta River Lodge and It was amazing my favourite African Safari and I’ve been on many!

There are a total of 8 rooms (little lodges) so it has that exclusive feel about it. It is located right next to the nature reserve and so you are surrounded by Wildlife. Elephants are especially drawn to the lodge due to the mango trees on the grounds, I even had Elephants on my little patio! Also the staff are lovely, I‘m sure they would cater for vegetarians, I don’t eat red meat and they always ensured I had plenty of choice. There is a spa, infinity pool and a natural hot spring which was lovely. In the nature reserve itself you rarely see other vehicles unlike South Africa for example and we had some amazing animal sightings. You could always twin this with visiting Victoria Falls too.

https://www.luangwa.com/our-camps

For Kenya my friend always raves about the governors camp in the Maasai Mara but I’ve not stayed there. 

https://www.governorscamp.com/

Lastly for Seychelles Bird Island is a wonderful and exclusive lodge but if you don’t want large expanses of water I’m  not sure how you would feel about it. I spent the summer 2008 working in Seychelles so my information so may be dated but the Baynan Tree hotel in Mahe looked stunning and had lovely food.

https://www.birdislandseychelles.com/

http://www.banyantree.com/en/em-seychelles

Sorry for the essay!!!

No, thank you for the essay! Kafunta River Lodge looks beautiful, what sort of animals did you see over there and what else was there to do other than the safari? As mentioned my husband isn't too keen on moving around too much as that is what we do for a living, but if there is a lot to do in a concentrated area that would be good. Is there a pool or is that a jacuzzi I see in the pics? I hadn't thought about Zambia but would love to know more. 

I had thought about the governors camp--looks beautiful but I think it was quite pricy and blew the budget pretty quick! Also considered Bird Island but I like the more hilly, rocky landscape of the Seychelles so thought it would be a shame to stay somewhere flat. The Banyan Tree Hotel looks great--it's hard to get out of the nomadic/backpacking headset and feel like it's okay to spend such a lot of money though!

Love New York and travel here for work/to visit family regularly :) Glad you enjoyed your moon xx

I was also really keen on Bora Bora but it might be too bad for my floaters and it's incredibly expensive to visit!

weatherwaxe wrote (see post):

I was recommended L'Archipel, how was it? Was the food good? Main fear plus some (not all) of the rooms looked a bit dated. I should have mentioned that the one thing my husband is keen on other than staying in one place is staying in a really nice hotel! 

Which of these hotels did you like the most?

• We haven't yet been to the Seychelles unfortunately. L'Archipel is the hotel we compromised on, as we originally wanted to stay at the Raffles or the Paradise Sun but this would have increased our budget significantly and we decided that we would rather do three islands and two weeks with compromises than do two islands or cut the trip down to 10 days to fit it into budget.

Instead we're staying in one of the newer refurbished Deluxe rooms, which when researching looked nicer than some of the more expensive rooms. The hotel has overwhelming good reviews on Tripadvisor though, (it's got the same 4.5 star rating as Paradise Sun and the Raffles) which reassured me a lot.

I think the private beach helps sell it, as beaches in the Seychelles are usually public, and they offer a lot of free watersports activities that you would have to pay for in some of the other fancier hotels. I think if you're veggie though you have to let them know in advance so they can make things available to you, as the majority of the food options are fish based. 

If my h2b would have been more comfortable spending more money we would probably have picked the Raffles instead (I'm blaming him if L'Archipel doesn't meet our standards lol). 

I'm most looking forward to staying at Le Orangeraie, the hotel looks beautifully decorated and I'm very intrigued by La Digue.

Sammykate wrote (see post):

Just be aware of cost- a lady at my work did Tahiti/Bora Bora and it set them back about 15k for the flights and hotels for 10 days. That's before any food or activities. I think it's one of the most expensive places to holiday in the world!

They also used Turquoise and were very happy with them- they got them an upgrade to a water villa for free etc. So I would suggest having a word with them!

Oh I know, I priced it up and it was £30k, it's more fantasy destination rather than a reality! :) 

Ella36 wrote (see post):

I was also really keen on Bora Bora but it might be too bad for my floaters and it's incredibly expensive to visit!

It is crazy expensive, maybe one day! :)

• Jan17Jan17 Posts: 30
    Ella36 wrote (see post):
    Jan17 

No, thank you for the essay! Kafunta River Lodge looks beautiful, what sort of animals did you see over there and what else was there to do other than the safari? As mentioned my husband isn't too keen on moving around too much as that is what we do for a living, but if there is a lot to do in a concentrated area that would be good. Is there a pool or is that a jacuzzi I see in the pics? I hadn't thought about Zambia but would love to know more. 

I had thought about the governors camp--looks beautiful but I think it was quite pricy and blew the budget pretty quick! Also considered Bird Island but I like the more hilly, rocky landscape of the Seychelles so thought it would be a shame to stay somewhere flat. The Banyan Tree Hotel looks great--it's hard to get out of the nomadic/backpacking headset and feel like it's okay to spend such a lot of money though!

Hiya,

yes there is a lovely swimming pool at Kafunta as well as a jacuzzi. You can go on game drives at night in South Luangwa and as they have a huge leopard population we saw at least 1 every game drive which is crazy as they are elusive. We also saw lions, wild dogs, elephants, hippo, buffalo, hyena, monkeys, wart hog, zebra, crocodiles, a we even saw an impala give birth as it was baby season. However we went purely for safari so spent the time in-between game drives swimming and relaxing. Its quite isolated so I’m not sure there would be much else to do.

Seychelles is such a lovely place, a real paradise and there are lots of places you can visit too.

I know what you mean about it being difficult to move from a back packer mindset. Our honeymoon is in the Maldives and I was shocked at some of the prices quoted. Still after all this wedding planning we all deserve to treat ourselves. 😊

Good luck. 

• LizzieBHLizzieBH Posts: 196
    Oh I know, I priced it up and it was £30k, it's more fantasy destination rather than a reality! :) 

Definitely, we looked at French Polynesia too, and the worst part is knowing that you'd be blowing your budget sky-high and STILL feeling like you're a poor relation while you're there! It would be awful to feel like we can't have another beer after dinner, for example, because each one is £10. :p

• Hello, I would like to reccommend Cabo Verde, the trip is not really expensive but the place is exotic one :) check this out!

Greetings
    Sonia
    The wedding planner in Polish Mountains :)

• Hi, 

Our 'wants' were very similar to yours - 

So we have booked - 

4 nights here - http://www.lomasdelvolcan.com/

Where we will do the canopy & zip line tours

And then 10 glorious nights here, which is probably the most stunning place ever!

Its a completely self contained 3 story villa, overlooking the sea on a complex with a private beach, literally cannot wait. 

You book direct, and they are SUPER helpful, and will book anything you need!

https://tulemar.com/properties/tulemar-bamboo-villas/

Lavinia77 wrote (see post):

Hi, 

Our 'wants' were very similar to yours - 

So we have booked - 

4 nights here - http://www.lomasdelvolcan.com/

Where we will do the canopy & zip line tours

And then 10 glorious nights here, which is probably the most stunning place ever!

Its a completely self contained 3 story villa, overlooking the sea on a complex with a private beach, literally cannot wait. 

You book direct, and they are SUPER helpful, and will book anything you need!

https://tulemar.com/properties/tulemar-bamboo-villas/

Thanks--these both look absolutely incredible and not overpriced considering! Which Tulemar villa are you staying in?