Honeymoon or 'familymoon'

Been thinking about honeymoons today, and as much as it would be lovely to go away just the 2 of us we have the 2 boys to think about. We get married the week before the boys October half term, so I did wonder about having a 'familymoon' (as my friend calls it!) and taking the kids away with us during half term. Anyone else done this? 

It'd be lovely to go away just the 2 of us to enjoy our first few days as a married couple, go somewhere or do something the boys wouldn't enjoy but at the same time, it would be lovely for us all to go away especially as it's the kids half term the week after. 

Any advice? 

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,775 New bride

We have a 4 year old daughter (who will be 6 when we go away on honeymoon) and H2B is adamant she is not going with us (I didn't mind either way). We will be going away in the school holidays and she will go to Grandparents while we are away (I told H2B that if she came with us I would allow her to come out of school for it, but if she wasn't then it had to wait until school holidays she could go to her grandparents who live 4 hrs away), something she is already excited about. She has stayed with them before when we have been away (a wedding in Vegas) so it isn't anything dramatic for us to be away from her, she adores staying with her grandparents (she usually spends her half terms with them as we work)

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 960 New bride

We are doing both! We get married December next year and are planning to go away just the two of us for a few days straight after the wedding, just somewhere in the UK. Thinking rural lodge with hot tub etc. We have a 5 year old daughter so we thought in 2019 we’d take her for her first holiday abroad and have our familymoon! So make it a bit more of a special holiday.  I think it’s nice If you can spend some time together just the two of you after the wedding  

• Kelly224 wrote (see post):

We are doing both! We get married December next year and are planning to go away just the two of us for a few days straight after the wedding, just somewhere in the UK. Thinking rural lodge with hot tub etc. We have a 5 year old daughter so we thought in 2019 we’d take her for her first holiday abroad and have our familymoon! So make it a bit more of a special holiday.  I think it’s nice If you can spend some time together just the two of you after the wedding  

Ohh I never thought of doing both but I really like that idea. Might run this past H2B later, thanks c

• I personally wouldn't do a familymoon.  You'll never have another chance that's as romantic as your post-wedding period to get away as a couple.  You can't even be sure when you'll get away again as a couple, period!

I can't imagine going away post-wedding with my stepchildren.  It would be 6 days and 7 nights of "He hit me!" and "Noooo I don't want to eat there," and a little "This is boring" thrown in the mix.  It's the non-romantic stuff I'm looking to get away from!

• SadieeeSadieee Posts: 1,775 New bride
    KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

I personally wouldn't do a familymoon.  You'll never have another chance that's as romantic as your post-wedding period to get away as a couple.  You can't even be sure when you'll get away again as a couple, period!

I can't imagine going away post-wedding with my stepchildren.  It would be 6 days and 7 nights of "He hit me!" and "Noooo I don't want to eat there," and a little "This is boring" thrown in the mix.  It's the non-romantic stuff I'm looking to get away from!

This is why H2B doesn't want our daughter to come haha we obviously love her more than anything, but she is hard work at times (well all children are lol)