My Planning Thread - Sheffield, Summer 2019

So I am weirdly nervous about starting a planning thread and don't know what to put - apologies if this is an awful read! - but thought I would give it a go as I am eager to start doing everything wedding-y and I think it'll be a great thing to look back on!

How we met

7 years ago, at the age of 16, H2B and I started at the same sixth form. We had been put in the same maths class and on arriving at the first lesson we were introduced to the teacher and then told we could have a free period for the rest of the hour. We had both already met another girl in the class who introduced us and the three of us spent the next hour in the common room getting to know each other. 

H2B and I then became part of the same circle of friends, we both fancied each other for a bit and then I got bored and moved on whilst he continued to like me. Unfortunately for him this just irritated me and I spent the next year or so ignoring him and telling my friends how much I disliked him (I was a lovely teenager I know!)

Fast forward a year and H2B had moved on from me, liking a few other girls in our friendship group (I don't know why he seemed insistent on ruining our friendship group by fancying every girl in it!) before coming back around to me again. I still wasn't interested and instead spent my youth getting off with lots of other spotty 17 year olds at parties. 

After a few months (and him asking me out and getting rejected twice) I drunkenly got off with him a couple of times, much to my friends' dismay as they could see he genuinely cared about me. I then realised that maybe I had fallen for him after all and his persistence had paid off! I told him how I felt and the rest, as they say, is history. 

I realise this whole story does make me sound like a horrible self-centred cow and you may not want to read anymore. I promise I have grown up and am now much nicer!!!

• MrsK2017MrsK2017 Posts: 230

Congratulations on starting your thread! 

• MrsK2017 wrote (see post):

Congratulations on starting your thread! 

Thank you! How Funny, you have just welcomed me to my planning thread while I was deep into reading your report! 

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 764 New bride

Our church blessing in May of 2019...so we both have a similar amount of time to plan.

Can't wait to hear what you've got sorted already - I have absolutely nothing!!

• Yay! Another planning thread. And you do not sound like a cow at all. Just like a teenager. Looking forward to the read.

• The Proposal

After being together for nearly 5 years and living together for 1 and a half I was really ready for us to get engaged and may have dropped a few hints about proposals.. unfortunately H2B is definitely not one to do something because I have hinted about it so kept me waiting for ages. I'm really glad he did because I was so surprised when he asked! 

We had booked a trip to Edinburgh (one of my favourite places ever) before Christmas and when we booked I had thought how perfect it would be for a proposal. However, H2B had said/done a few things that made me very confident it was not going to happen so I tried to forget all about it to make sure I didn't ruin my holiday by being disappointed when there was no proposal. 

While we were in Edinburgh, H2B climbed over a railing and stuck a spike into his foot, meaning he was limping and in a lot of pain. We had planned to climb Arthur's seat the next day but I said we shouldn't as he was in too much pain. H2B insisted we should which I thought was stupid but didn't dwell on it. 

We had a lovely climb up Arthur's seat and at the top the sun actually came out (in December in Scotland!!!). We stood at the top for a while admiring the views and having a nice kiss and a cuddle. We both said how much we loved each other and H2B said how happy he was with me, he then said "Do you want to make me even happier?" And got down on one knee, pulling a ring box out of his pocket! 

Of course I was so excited (I can't even remember whether I actually said yes or not, it was such a blur!), I grabbed the ring and shoved it straight onto my finger. Unfortunately after I had jammed it on I realised it was way too small and wouldn't come off. As we were at the top of a hill in the freezing cold I knew I had to get it off then as I had no chance with warmer hands. We eventually managed to get it off, although I was absolutely petrified I would lose it because it was so windy! Luckily H2B had brought my granny's engagement ring for me to wear as a back up. I was so happy about this as I knew my granny would have been over the moon to save the day with her ring and it also meant I got to wear a ring straight away. 

I was literally over the moon after the engagement, I couldn't stop grinning! The rest of our time in Edinburgh was so fantastic and as soon as we got home we went and ordered a new ring, there was 1 left in my size in the country and if we didn't get it, it would have taken 12 weeks to make another so it felt like fate! I absolutely love my ring as it is so simple which is exactly what I wanted, it's exactly what I would have chosen myself! I'm also super relived as I found out future MIL went to help choose the ring and we have completely different taste so I'm really pleased H2B trusted his instincts on what I wanted and didn't follow her suggestions! 

Here is a picture of the ring and of me grinning like an idiot post proposal: 

imageimage

• KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

Our church blessing in May of 2019...so we both have a similar amount of time to plan.

Can't wait to hear what you've got sorted already - I have absolutely nothing!!

Ooh exciting! When did you get engaged? Have you decided on your church? 

We know what church we want and think we know which reception venue but haven't confirmed anything yet! 

• DandelionBlue wrote (see post):

Yay! Another planning thread. And you do not sound like a cow at all. Just like a teenager. Looking forward to the read.

I love reading everyone's, it's so exciting isn't it? Oh good thank god for that, will hopefully be able to paint myself in a much nicer light now the history is done! 

• The Church

I have always wanted a church wedding as I think it really means a lot and I know it would be important to members of my family. I don't go to church so don't have a regular church, however the church my granny has always gone to (and was in the choir) is the same as where my parents got married and I was christened - I have always pictured getting married here and having my granny sing at my wedding. Unfortunately my beloved granny passed away not long ago, which was heartbreaking for me as we were very close. Granny's now buried in the churchyard so it would mean even more to me now as she would be there and I could go see her grave on my wedding day, which would make my day and I know would mean a lot to my mum. My grandad also lives a short walk away from the church which means someone could push him there in his wheelchair as he isn't very able bodied and really struggles getting in and out of cars, i don't think he will come to the reception and if we weren't getting married there I don't think he would come to the wedding at all as it's just too hard for him. So all things considered, the church is even more important to me now than it's ever been. 

I've got an appointment with the vicar on Sunday to talk to her about getting married there and I'm so nervous! What was it like for other brides that have had church weddings? I'm so scared she will say no, lots of people have told me that she won't but I can't help worrying! 

• MrsK2017MrsK2017 Posts: 230
    FutureMrsTomlin wrote (see post):

The Church

I have always wanted a church wedding as I think it really means a lot and I know it would be important to members of my family. I don't go to church so don't have a regular church, however the church my granny has always gone to (and was in the choir) is the same as where my parents got married and I was christened - I have always pictured getting married here and having my granny sing at my wedding. Unfortunately my beloved granny passed away not long ago, which was heartbreaking for me as we were very close. Granny's now buried in the churchyard so it would mean even more to me now as she would be there and I could go see her grave on my wedding day, which would make my day and I know would mean a lot to my mum. My grandad also lives a short walk away from the church which means someone could push him there in his wheelchair as he isn't very able bodied and really struggles getting in and out of cars, i don't think he will come to the reception and if we weren't getting married there I don't think he would come to the wedding at all as it's just too hard for him. So all things considered, the church is even more important to me now than it's ever been. 

I've got an appointment with the vicar on Sunday to talk to her about getting married there and I'm so nervous! What was it like for other brides that have had church weddings? I'm so scared she will say no, lots of people have told me that she won't but I can't help worrying! 

I love your personal connections to the church. That'll make it that little bit more special. I don't see any reason for the vicar to say no! Our vicar was absolutely lovely, and she totally made the ceremony really special. 

Also, your ring is stunning, and that photo of the two of you is gorgeous, you look so happy together! (Preferable of course when you're getting married ahha!) 

x

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,450 New bride

Welcome- always love to see another planning thread :-) 

• MrsStateMrsState Posts: 178

A lovely planning thread so far! I can’t wait for more!!

• Thanks to the new followers! Always nice to know people are reading and I'm not just talking to myself! Been really busy with work the last few days but wanted to do a quick update as some changes have happened! 

The Church

So we went to the service at church on Sunday, which started stressfully as just before we were due to leave, H2B went on their website and announced that the service started at 10.15, not 10.30 as I had thought. We rushed to the church, with me panicking the whole way there that we would be late and it would make them not want to marry us   however, once we got there, we found out the service had been at 10.30 after all so I'd been panicking for no reason! 

The congregation is very small and has an average age of about 75 so at the end of the service everyone rushed over to find out who these young newcomers were. When I told them about my Granny the reaction was so lovely - everyone remembered her and she was obviously so popular with them all! 

We met the vicar after the service and it couldn't have been simpler! She just asked if either of us had been married before and whether we were both British and that was it! I'm so relieved and over the moon we'll be getting married there 

• I'm so happy for you that you're got the church (mostly) sorted!  Do you have any pictures of your lovely church?

I was raised Catholic, but we are now members of our local Anglican church.  Our congregation is even smaller - probably about 35 of us each Sunday! We too are about the youngest there, sadly. I really enjoy it there, despite not having the lovely personal connection that you have to your church.  We are "transplants" to the area, so no family previously attended here.  It's funny how church has become important to us again; we are actually already legally married, but that was several years ago and the civil service was so poor, it seriously felt like it wasn't even a legitimate service (long story). It's really important to me to have our marriage recognized by our church so hence the church blessing next spring!

What does your granny's e-ring look like?  Mine just gave me hers to keep about two weeks ago.  It's so sad, she is becoming frail and worrying us :(

• KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

I'm so happy for you that you're got the church (mostly) sorted!  Do you have any pictures of your lovely church?

I was raised Catholic, but we are now members of our local Anglican church.  Our congregation is even smaller - probably about 35 of us each Sunday! We too are about the youngest there, sadly. I really enjoy it there, despite not having the lovely personal connection that you have to your church.  We are "transplants" to the area, so no family previously attended here.  It's funny how church has become important to us again; we are actually already legally married, but that was several years ago and the civil service was so poor, it seriously felt like it wasn't even a legitimate service (long story). It's really important to me to have our marriage recognized by our church so hence the church blessing next spring!

What does your granny's e-ring look like?  Mine just gave me hers to keep about two weeks ago.  It's so sad, she is becoming frail and worrying us :(

Aww thank you! I was so so happy about getting the church, it is the only thing about the wedding (aside from H2B obviously) that was so important and that I really didn't want to compromise on so I'm just so relieved! Here is the church itself: 

imageimage

That's so nice wanting to have a religious ceremony, I'm so sorry that your first ceremony wasn't what you wished for but actually it's worked out well for you to have an excuse to have your marriage celebrated at your church! 

The ring is actually really similar to the one H2B chose which was perfect!

I'm sorry about your granny, that's really sad to hear but it's so nice that she wanted you to have her ring! 

• Giraffe888Giraffe888 Posts: 678

I’m a South Yorkshire bride! Which church is that? It’s beautiful x

• What a beautiful church!  Oh my, what a coincidence that your new e-ring looks like your Granny's!  That is so sweet.

• The Reception Venue

One thing H2B and I had decided on from the off was that the reception venue wouldn't be a hotel or country house and that it would be somewhere different and ideally somewhere that meant something to us. 

Millenium Galleries

This is the first venue we went to look at and it was really nice, there's some lovely outside space (something a lot of our venues don't have as we are looking in central Sheffield). The room wasn't massive and meant that tables would need to be moved to make way for a dancefloor, which wasn't the end of the world but I would prefer not to if possible. However the deal-breaker was that the bar is bottles only and no draught, H2B and my dad are both big beer drinkers, as are a lot of the guests and we decided that draught beer was to be a must have. 

Firth Court

This is one of the University of Sheffield (where H2B studied) buildings and is really iconic to Sheffield. We didn't actually end up visiting this venue as I emailed them and although the information they sent me sounded amazing, it just sounded a bit too formal for what we wanted and was really expensive compared to everywhere else we looked, pushing it out of our budget. 

92 Burton Road

This venue is an empty warehouse that does events, it's a really great space and we thought it would be good as somewhere different for a wedding. We got in touch with them but the hire was £3600, with a minimum spend on the bar of £3500. We thought the price was a bit too high for what is just an empty warehouse with a bar inside and also we weren't sure how realistic the bar spend would be. It also is a bit too big for what we want and thought with it being a big open space it might feel far too empty, it's also only available until 11pm so overall we decided it was a no-go. 

The Showroom

imageimage

The Showroom is an independent cinema that we love going to and is also a charity so I was really keen on the idea of it from the off. When we went to look around I absolutely loved it, the room is a big room with a mezzanine floor, meaning you can have the dance floor and bar downstairs with the meal above, I really loved this as it keeps the areas separate for older guests who may not want to dance. I also really liked that it's a blank canvas so we could have it exactly as we wanted. There is a small room as a cloakroom and another that could be used for children (there will only be 3 children there but I liked the idea of having a separate space so they're not running around under your feet). We can have 3 beers of our choice on draught and the food there is amazing (we eat in the restaurant quite a bit and always have a wonderful meal). It's also really reasonably priced, meaning we'd be able to choose a better menu as well as putting some money behind the bar, compared to other places. 

Continued... 

• Kelham Island Museum

imageimage

I used to work for a wedding caterer when I was at uni and we did a few weddings here which were always really nice. You can have the reception drinks in the museum and then for the wedding breakfast there is the choice of either the upper floor, which is an empty space, or in the museum - we both decided if we go with here we would have it in the museum. There's a nice courtyard and parking and we get the choice of 1 draught beer from the brewery next door. We'd probably have the caterer I used to work for so I know their food is really nice. 

• Sarah967Sarah967 Posts: 17

Im also a sheffield bride getting married in 2019. I cant wait to see your thread unfold and all your plans. Loving it so far!! Xx

• Sarah967 wrote (see post):

Im also a sheffield bride getting married in 2019. I cant wait to see your thread unfold and all your plans. Loving it so far!! Xx

Oooh exciting I haven't seen any other Sheffield brides yet! How are you getting on with the planning? Do you have a thread? 

Sarah967 wrote (see post):

Oooh exciting I haven't seen any other Sheffield brides yet! How are you getting on with the planning? Do you have a thread? 

I've got all the major stuff booked, and now starting to think about all the other stuff. I thought about doing a thread but was a little scared. Thinking it would be a good way to get my thoughts out with other brides rather than annoying my friends and family with everything!!

• Sarah967 wrote (see post):
    Sarah967 wrote (see post):

I've got all the major stuff booked, and now starting to think about all the other stuff. I thought about doing a thread but was a little scared. Thinking it would be a good way to get my thoughts out with other brides rather than annoying my friends and family with everything!!

Ooh wow you are organised then! When did you get engaged? Where are you having it? You should definitely do a thread, I'd love to read it! 

• Reception Venue Continued

So as you may be able to tell from the last post, our venues are between the showroom and kelham Island Museum. We really don't know which to choose! We both loved the showroom when we went to see it and thought that was the one, we went to see kelham island museum as we had already arranged it but came out of that loving it. After the museum I thought we would go for that but after the initial love I started having second thoughts. H2B still loves the museum but I am thinking the showroom, I've put pros and cons below if anyone fancies sharing their opinions. 

Showroom

Pros:

-Their chef is so talented and I know food would be amazing 

-Very reasonably priced (would work out ~£5k cheaper than the museum) 

-I love the mezanine floor 

-It's a place we both enjoy going and would like to support

Cons

-It is very plain and simple, not as grand as the museum

Kelham Island Museum

Pros

-The building is lovely and a very individual setting.

-I have experience of the caterer and know they're great. 

-We used to live in the area so it would be sentimental to us. 

Cons

-Much more expensive than the showroom 

-Their dance floor would be round the corner, making me think people may not go to dance/not come to watch the first dance 

-There is a pillar in the middle of the room that I am drawn to on pictures and just find it so ugly (I know this is stupid but it's not something I want to bother me on my wedding photos forever). 

If anyone has any opinions please do share, I really don't know how to choose!!!

Have you thought about if you have guests staying over? Im thinking there arent as many hotels near kelham island so people would maybe need taxis, whereas showroom is in town so walking distance from hotel. If showroom is cheaper then you can spend the extra your saving on decorations etc to make it that wow space?? Xxx

• MrsGtoBMrsGtoB Posts: 596 New bride

The dance floor would be a problem for me so I’d go for the showroom. If it’s simple you can theme to your choosing xx

• Giraffe888 wrote (see post):

I’m a South Yorkshire bride! Which church is that? It’s beautiful x

Ooh whereabouts are you getting married? It's Todwick church (it's between Sheffield and Worksop, near M1 J31 if you don't know it!)

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 960 New bride

Love both the options.

I think personally I would go for the showroom - as another lady pointed out it might be easier for people to get to accommodation etc.  The cost saving is really good and sometimes plain and simple is an advantage as you can really tailor it to your vision with décor etc.

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Yay Sheffield bride! We now live at J31 (Swallownest) - I feel like I’ve been in that church from the pictures but now you’ve said which it is, I don’t think I have. It’s beautiful! 

We used to rent at Kelham Island, I am so jealous you’re considering having your reception there. I love the quirkiness of it - we had our ceremony in Weston Park Bandstand and then had our reception at Foxholes Farm in Bradfield but KI was our second choice.

For me it would be KI all the way over the showroom but I understand your pros and cons. The showcase doesn’t have any parking does it? With your venues being 20 mins apart, this perhaps needs to be a factor. I’m team KI (if you haven’t gathered!). 

• Helen225 wrote (see post):

Yay Sheffield bride! We now live at J31 (Swallownest) - I feel like I’ve been in that church from the pictures but now you’ve said which it is, I don’t think I have. It’s beautiful! 

We used to rent at Kelham Island, I am so jealous you’re considering having your reception there. I love the quirkiness of it - we had our ceremony in Weston Park Bandstand and then had our reception at Foxholes Farm in Bradfield but KI was our second choice.

For me it would be KI all the way over the showroom but I understand your pros and cons. The showcase doesn’t have any parking does it? With your venues being 20 mins apart, this perhaps needs to be a factor. I’m team KI (if you haven’t gathered!). 

Oh right you are not far from Todwick at all then, I want to get married there because of the sentimental factor but the fact it's beautiful is obviously a bonus! 

Ahh whereabouts were you? We used to rent a flat in millsands (opposite the Tesco express). I really love the quirkiness of kelham, it's so different. We went to see the caterer today though and she said that she wouldn't recommend downstairs at kelham as it's really cramped and the tables are too small for family style food (which we would have wanted from them), we didn't think upstairs at kelham was as special so I'm not sure now! The showroom does have some underground parking that we can use so that's good! 

I love Weston park, I think that would be amazing for a ceremony! Was the weather kind to you? 

• Helen225Helen225 Posts: 861 New bride

Hey

We had one of the old sawmills at Brooklyn Works (the Alfred Beckett and Sons building opposite The Milestone pub) so down the other end. 

The weather was amaaaazing thank you! I was seriously freaking out about the weather for around two years, especially when a year to the date it was the worst rain I’ve ever seen. I think I just cried all day!! My report is in my signature below if you get realllllly bored! 

Ah never realised the showroom had parking. Great news.