I can’t decide!

I am having a dilemma where I can’t decide which venue to go with. We have a very small budget anyway since we’re saving for our mortgage (at age 20 and 23 - please no nasty age comments!). We‘re hoping to spend around £5k max and my parents are helping us with the dress etc. This is also probably going to be super rambly so go easy on me...

On the one hand we have a venue called Limpley Stoke Hotel who provide a package day for £2,750 which covers everything right down to the DJ for the evening. The only problems I’m having are that firstly, it’s a best western hotel, I’m scared people will arrive and be like “great another cheap and boring wedding”... I don’t know? Secondly, Since it’s very local and very cheap I feel like every week I’m seeing a new picture uploaded to Facebook where somebody I know‘s relative has got married there! I know it sounds a little stupid but I’d like our day to be unique but would that make it less special... I don’t know 🤔

Our other choice of venue is Rook Lane Chapel in Frome, again a lovely venue but it’s very blank canvas. £1200 for 7 hour hire, and £90 per hour after, so again, reasonably cheap. The only things they provide is the bar, the chairs and obviously the venue itself. It’s a beautiful old building with a modern twist and it was exactly what we wanted until we started telling everyone about it and they ask questions like “does it include a MC” - silly little things but they’ve made me think about whether I want all the stress of initially finding the suppliers at the right price and making sure they don’t cancel. Also since it’s all in one room there would have to be a turnaround during the drinks reception and I’m unsure who I can rely on to do this!

My OH is open to whatever I want to do and says that he doesn’t care, he likes both, he just wants to marry me which is definitely super annoying but eh. 

Please let me know your opinions im in need of some fellow bride-to-be’s input!

• We are getting married in a Barn for £4,500 and it's a blank canvas. It can appear cheap but once you factor in additional costs it can go up and up. Also every wedding is different and you can still make your day unique with flowers, theme, colour scheme, vows, food, music, entertainment etc. If you like the second maybe see if they would throw some extras in or explain your budget and see if they work with you. If not go back to the drawing board. I looked at over 30 venues, before finding our one. Hope you have an amazing day. 

• gill17gill17 Posts: 568 New bride

Start looking around for all the extra stuff you would need for Rook Lane and if you find it stressful then there's your answer. I booked a dry hire and would never have considered a package deal tbh but I know they work well for lots of people and have nothing at all against them. I found booking all the aspects separately meant it felt like our day and in terms of them all turning up etc it was just a few emails, one to book one to confirm. They are all professionals with contracts etc, so dont be worried about that end of things. 

• TiaMariaTiaMaria Posts: 120

I'm currently organising a dry hire and although more work in terms of finding suppliers (although my venue gave us a list of people they worked with previously) it is generally just a few more emails. I also like organising so I enjoy it anyway!

like gill17 says though, you can absolutely personalise whatever venue you choose with flowers, theme, decor etc, this also allows you cut costs by being a bit crafty diY. This is certainly where I'm cutting costs! 

Good luck! X

• SammykateSammykate Posts: 3,298

I think the dry hire venue will be a lot more expensive than you think. It depends what you want- if you can buy a sandwich buffet from M&S and have guests put it out then it won't break the bank. If you want a cooked meal served by staff then that could cost £1000s by itself depending on numbers.

I'm not saying it's not doable, but you need to have a hard think and do research on costs of what you would want. For instance, unless you want your guests to be putting out food, clearing up, washing up and turning the room around, you will need tp hire staff for this. That's just one aspect- you need to consider every part of the day and how it would work.

We looked at hiring the village hall near my mums house for our wedding which cost the grand sum of £100 a day. Once I'd added in all the extra costs it was more than the other venue we were considering- a posh hotel in the Cotswolds costing £4500 for a package. I never thought we'd go for a package but having an experienced venue run the big parts of the day was invaluable. I was still able to personalise the day and it looked much different than the albums of other weddings we'd seen there.

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride
    Aidan5 wrote (see post):

Hi, do not worry Quensland Cricketers Club provides the best wedding venues Brisbane City with the outstanding stadium views located at the famous Gabba. Catering options are starting at just $ 28 per person that will make your day! For more information you can visit the site: https://www.qcclub.com.au/

Wow.  That will be useful when she is looking at a hotel in Bath.  

• britbird wrote (see post):
    Aidan5 wrote (see post):

Hi, do not worry Quensland Cricketers Club provides the best wedding venues Brisbane City with the outstanding stadium views located at the famous Gabba. Catering options are starting at just $ 28 per person that will make your day! For more information you can visit the site: https://www.qcclub.com.au/

Wow.  That will be useful when she is looking at a hotel in Bath.  

Lol, accurate

• Sammykate wrote (see post):

I think the dry hire venue will be a lot more expensive than you think. It depends what you want- if you can buy a sandwich buffet from M&S and have guests put it out then it won't break the bank. If you want a cooked meal served by staff then that could cost £1000s by itself depending on numbers.

I'm not saying it's not doable, but you need to have a hard think and do research on costs of what you would want. For instance, unless you want your guests to be putting out food, clearing up, washing up and turning the room around, you will need tp hire staff for this. That's just one aspect- you need to consider every part of the day and how it would work.

We looked at hiring the village hall near my mums house for our wedding which cost the grand sum of £100 a day. Once I'd added in all the extra costs it was more than the other venue we were considering- a posh hotel in the Cotswolds costing £4500 for a package. I never thought we'd go for a package but having an experienced venue run the big parts of the day was invaluable. I was still able to personalise the day and it looked much different than the albums of other weddings we'd seen there.

Ahh thanks Sammy. What is the Cotswolds hotel if you don’t mind me asking?

• Beth78 wrote (see post):

popped in to say don’t worry about your age. I am 22 and my fiance is 23, we have a baby together and are currently in the process buying our first house (3 bed semi) so don’t let your age get you down as we are in a better position than most 30 years olds. We’ve had no help from any family and currently live in private rented property and have managed to save a deposit whilst renting. We’ve just Been sensible with our money. We could easily be mortgage free at 35 if we stay where we are moving to! 

People are too quick to judge because you are young, I never let it bother me, you shouldn’t either!

Ahhh that's so great! People just seem to be rolling their eyes at us!