Autumn Barn Wedding - October 2019

After spending a lot more time than I should have, loving reading everyones planning threads and reports, I've decided to start my own on this very snowy grey Sunday before I can talk myself out of it (something i'm very good at!), as I love the idea of being able to look back over the months and after the wedding. So sorry if I ramble on, my head is full of weddings and I need somewhere for it to spill out onto! 

How we met

After a rough break-up and change of jobs, one of my old work mates decided the best way to cheer me up was to take me half way up the country for a weekend away to see one of his friends at uni ( I think he actually just wanted a free driver, but the thought was there!). I very nearly backed out but something told me to just loosen up and go for it, so we made the drive from Kent to Derbyshire. On our first night out, we went to the uni house of said work friends, friend and I was introduced to all of his housemates including 'D'. We all went on a night out together and D and I chatted a little but pretty much ignored each other all night as we didn't know one another. A few weeks later it was my friends friends birthday and I was invited to join them for his weekend away in Nottingham (again, I suspect a free lift was involved in the offer!), but I went and was bizarrely excited to find out that D would be there too. 

We all met up for the first night out and I strategically placed myself next to D and we spent the evening chatting and laughing together before he walked me back to our hotel with everyone, making sure I wasn't left behind when the others went off to try and talk to girls etc! We drove back down to Kent the next day and D text me to make sure that we'd got home okay and we've spoken every single day since. 

After a few months of texting, we decided I should go and visit him just before Christmas to see how  things were when we weren't semi-drunk/talking in real life. At the end of my few days with him we decided to make things official and would just work on having a long distance relationship. We made this work for 6 months until D finished uni and he got a job and moved down to Kent with me!

• The Engagement

I'd always said I wanted something intimate with no one around and had always said I'd say no if we weren't by ourselves (I wouldn't have but I wanted him to know I was serious as I can be really shy sometimes!). So two days after our 3 year anniversary, we were both home for the day, me working as I work from home and him having a day off before Christmas. He was quiet that morning and actually folding all of our washing without me saying anything! But I didn't think anything of it, until I opened the door of my home office to come and ask him something to find him on one knee with a ring! We'd spoken out getting engaged but he had convinced me that it wouldn't happen until way into the new year, so it was a bit of a shock but the best shock! As it was so close to Christmas, we decided to wait until then to tell our families, I had to tell my closest friends though as I couldn't keep it in that long! Our families were thrilled on Christmas day, including my Grandad who told D 'it was about time too!". 
    My Dad then put a picture of the two of us on his FaceBook telling everyone about the engagement so I quickly put mine up too! It's not official if it's not on FB after all!!

and the ring! 

• Cat93Cat93 Posts: 109 New bride

We are October 2019 too! Looking forward to reading all about your plans - how exciting! 

• Cat93 wrote (see post):

We are October 2019 too! Looking forward to reading all about your plans - how exciting! 

Thank you! I’m off to read your planning thread now! It seems so far away at the moment but I know it’ll fly by! 

• Exciting, congrats! I'm a 2019 Bride too. Love the announcement pic! Looking forward to hearing more about plans x 

• Kaybridetobe wrote (see post):

Exciting, congrats! I'm a 2019 Bride too. Love the announcement pic! Looking forward to hearing more about plans x 

Thank you! And congratulations to you too! It took a lot of pinterest-ing to come up with the idea haha x

• The Venue

Ever since I was a bridesmaid two years ago for one of my oldest friends, I knew that I wanted some sort of converted barn wedding where everything is all in one place as hers was just so gorgeous. Although as she has a really big family and mines pretty small, I knew that I wanted something similar but not the same. 

The Old Kent Barn

This was the first place that I came across that I thought was gorgeous, so we went to an open day there one Sunday. However the way it was laid out seemed a bit disjointed and they took us through the kitchens to get to the bridal suite! Then we found out the pricing... to have been able to even think about affording it, we would have had to have taken the day guest list down to about 25 as the venue hire was around £4000 and then you had to pay per head for the wedding breakfast, each lot of drinks and for the evening buffet. So that put that one out of the window! 

The Gardens

After a lot of searching on the internet I came across The Gardens, they had a seemingly reasonable package that included 50 day guests and up to 200 in the evening, plus all the food, a DJ and it was only a 10 minute drive from my parents...it seemed too good to be true. So we booked to go and have a look around and fell in love! I think it was the Tipi's that sealed it for us...

We all got back in the car and agreed that we could see ourselves getting married there and my Mum loved it too which was a plus! I normally worry about making big decisions like this but everything seemed to line up and this was exactly was we wanted - small and intimate, so unlike me, we booked the next day! They have the option to get married outside under a gazebo but being an October wedding and with the english weather being what it is, we decided to have the ceremony in The Croft (pictured above) as it was such a lovely cosy room and could be 'prettied up' in our theme very easily! 

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride

Love the announcement!  We used scrabble as well, such a cool way of doing it. 

• The gardens look stunning! Love the Tipi tents. Would the reception be in the tents or in the room? 

• MrsBAMFMrsBAMF Posts: 216

Ahh, yay! Another 2019-er! Looking forward to reading more 

xXx

• britbird wrote (see post):

Thank you! I loved yours too, it's nice to have something a bit different!!

• Kaybridetobe wrote (see post):

The gardens look stunning! Love the Tipi tents. Would the reception be in the tents or in the room? 

Thank you... The wedding breakfast would be in the Tipi's with all the fairy lights and then in the evening they light the little fires in there! And just the ceremony would be in the room and then there is another space with a bar and dance floor! 

• MrsBAMF wrote (see post):

Ahh, yay! Another 2019-er! Looking forward to reading more 

xXx

It's so exciting! Thank you! :) xx

• Photographer

For a while, even before the engagement, I'd been Instagram stalking a couple of photographers who's style I loved and would want to look into when the time came, so once the venue was booked and we had a date I reached out to my favourite. Luckily he was free on our date so we arranged to meet in a local coffee shop to chat things through. Ross was so lovely and down to earth and once he'd gone, we both said at the same time, 'he's the one!'. His focus is very much more on the natural pictures and capturing what he sees on the day as opposed to spending hours taking pictures of groups of guests, which is exactly what we didn't want. He's shot at our venue before so is familiar with the layout etc and is really local so we're just finalising the last bits and then we'll be booked!

If anyones interested you can look at his gorgeous work here - http://www.rosshurley.com

• britbirdbritbird Posts: 1,453 New bride
    MrsA-NToBe wrote (see post):
    britbird wrote (see post):

Thanks- it is nice- I mean, of course a standard pic is lovely, but I prefer cool ones that stand out

• britbird wrote (see post):
    britbird wrote (see post):

Thanks- it is nice- I mean, of course a standard pic is lovely, but I prefer cool ones that stand out

Me too! 

• The Cake

After looking at all sorts of options and getting stuck into wedding planning I realised that there isn't really much for the MOTB to do and I wanted my Mum to have a role in the day beyond helping us plan (as FMIL is one of our witnesses). I hadn't quite realised how expensive wedding cakes are and with Mum being a hobby cake maker (and having made her own wedding cake) I knew I had to ask her! 

My idea is for something very simple three tiered cake like this...

As I don't like fruit cake, our plan is to go with two different flavours for the tiers, perhaps two Victoria sponge and one chocolate. I've got to come up with a final design for where we put the flowers and I'm currently trying to convince D to have some sort of wooden cake topper as I really like them! Our venue provides a wooden cake stand, similar to the top picture just without the engraving so I think a topper would tie them together really nicely. 

Has anyone else had a similar cake with flowers? Where they real or fake or even sugar craft? We're not sure which would be best at the moment. 

• Miss-MrsMiss-Mrs Posts: 117

Hey,

Like the thread so far. I am having an Autumn wedding too in Oct 2018. nearly 9 months to go!

xx

• Thank you Mrs D! How exciting, it's coming up fast... I hope your planning is going well :) xx

• Theme

With it being an autumn wedding, I wanted our colour scheme to reflect this. One of the first things they said when we visited our venue and said we were considering either a February or October wedding was that in October, all the leaves would be turning and so would be beautiful orangey/red colours. So after pintresting lots of ideas we settled on a Burgundy colour theme and that was that. However the more I thought about it, the more I realised that we probably needed another colour in there to show the Burgundy off. D wants a grey suit (I'd have preferred navy but he made a plea that this would be his one big decision in the wedding, so grey it is!), but I thought it needed to be a bit more than just grey. D has always liked the dusty rose colours and they work so well with Burgundy and grey, that it seemed an obvious choice. 

After a bit more discussion we also decided that we needed an accent colour, for little things like the lettering and small touches and so gold was decided. So were going for a Burgundy / dusty rose / gold colour palette, a bit like this... 

We also want to make it pretty rustic, with wood etc as our venue lends itself to that kind of decor and so are pretty set on centrepieces set on slabs of wood with some bunting around the Tipi etc. Knowing me, this will change and evolve as the planning goes on but this is the direction we are going in... for the meantime! 

• Miss-MrsMiss-Mrs Posts: 117

Lovely colour scheme. We have opted for orange and gold, so its quite rich. 

We have yet to decide on a grey or navy. Think I might do some colour samples and see what goes. Like the petal pic above is lovely and shows the colours together.

Planning is going well. I only have mens suits, flowers, give notice, wedding insurance, gifts, and my earrings to sort. I have my hair and make up trial in a week and half. I'm so fussy I have to trial them out.

xx

• Ahh I like orange and gold that'll be really unique! Absolutely, it would be nice to see them laid out together so that you could properly decide which fits with everything else you have the best. 

I think thats what sealed those colours for me, after seeing how well they sit together in the petals! 

Sounds like your mostly there. That'll be really exciting, it'll be one step closer to the actual day! I hope it goes well and you like the final result! xxx

• Such a cute engagement announcement pic - and I'm sooo very jealous over your fall date!  I wanted fall (or even winter) so badly, but my OH travels for work extensively from September through Feb, so that was out.  You are going to have some beautiful wedding pictures at that venue, esp if the weather cooperates!

(Not to crash your thread but, Mrs D x, I LOVE your colour choices!)

• MrsA-NToBe wrote (see post):

The Cake

After looking at all sorts of options and getting stuck into wedding planning I realised that there isn't really much for the MOTB to do and I wanted my Mum to have a role in the day beyond helping us plan (as FMIL is one of our witnesses). I hadn't quite realised how expensive wedding cakes are and with Mum being a hobby cake maker (and having made her own wedding cake) I knew I had to ask her! 

My idea is for something very simple three tiered cake like this...

As I don't like fruit cake, our plan is to go with two different flavours for the tiers, perhaps two Victoria sponge and one chocolate. I've got to come up with a final design for where we put the flowers and I'm currently trying to convince D to have some sort of wooden cake topper as I really like them! Our venue provides a wooden cake stand, similar to the top picture just without the engraving so I think a topper would tie them together really nicely. 

Has anyone else had a similar cake with flowers? Where they real or flake or even sugar craft? We're not sure which would be best at the moment. 

Love these style cakes! I am looking at a similar style and I think they look beautiful with real flowers running round the edge x

• Congrats MrsA-NToBe!

Love your tipi venue and your colour scheme . We're having fresh flowers on our cake but do check that they're safe to used. I had no idea that some flowers can be poisonous so you have to be careful which types you use with your cake x

• Thanks Kaybridetobe, some botanical flowers on a cake like that would look gorgeous for your Barbados wedding! 

Thank you Willams2James, that's really helpful, I didn't think about some being poisonous... I'll have to look into that as the last thing we want is to poison the guests! haha x

• The first bit of wedding decor has arrived to cheer up my Friday! They're a lot smaller than they look in the photo but they will be to sit on the table next to the cake and were £6 for the three... bargain! 

• Flowers

The local wedding show was on last weekend so we took the Saturday to look round, it wasn't particularly big but there were a nice amount of suppliers and as we got there early it meant that we could actually chat to them properly. I could not believe how many of them were already booked into 2019 and 2020! That seemed crazy to me and made me a little bit worried about how little I had got organised! 

Flowers have always been a bit of a mystery to me... they look very pretty, they are expensive and then they die! I don't have a favourite flower, know when things are in season or how to put them together and chatting to some flower suppliers I felt a bit in over my head. We found one lady who we seemed to get on with well and so kept her card to contact her after the weekend. A few days later I was thinking about flowers and out of the blue remembered one of the guys I work with mentioning in passing that his wife was a florist. I then looked back at my work emails and he'd emailed me... like it was meant to be! So after chatting, he passed my details onto his wife who does some freelance floral work when she isn't working in the local florists, she called me and we arranged to meet up in a few days. 

I popped over to theirs one evening last week for a cuppa and a chat about flowers and came away feeling so much better! We planned out each set of flowers and the quote has come through this morning and i'm very happy... being so far away, I'm sure that some elements of the flowers will change, but I know where we are at and what kinds of things to expect and i'm feeling so much  calmer about everything!

We're basing our flowers around roses, as if forced to pick these would probably be my favourite flower. My bouquet is going to be a mixture of burgundy and dusky pink roses, pink lisianthus and gypsophila (probably my second favourite) along with some grey foliage to match D's grey suit. A little bit like this ... (just imagine the white roses are burgundy!) and everything will be tied with hessian to match our rustic venue. 

The bridesmaids are going to have bouquets of gypsophila with 3 or 4 dusky pink roses inside. Similar to this...

And our little flower girl will have one similar but with just one rose inside. 

D is going to have a button hole with a burgundy rose and the grey foliage to match with my bouquet and the best men, groomsmen and ushers are going to have the pink roses to match the bridesmaids. Our mums are going to have some pink roses and gypsophila buttonholes too, so they will all look a little like this...

We've decided on a lantern and jar of flowers for our centre pieces as I love candles, so it wouldn't be my wedding if I didn't get them in there somewhere! and will have an overhanging long and low arrangement that will be used in the ceremony room and then moved downstairs to the top table for the wedding breakfast...

Like this but obviously in our colour schemes.

I expect things to change and evolve as the time goes on but i'm really glad that we have a starting point down and with our florist being so lovely, I won't have any worries of changing things or set up on the day. 

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 960 New bride

The first bit of wedding decor has arrived to cheer up my Friday! They're a lot smaller than they look in the photo but they will be to sit on the table next to the cake and were £6 for the three... bargain! 

Ooh these are lovely, can I ask where you got them from please? 

• Love your flower plans! I think burgundy is definitely one of the best colours for a wedding, it just looks so classy.

• Kelly224 - They are from a stationary company called Typo! I spotted them at Bluewater (if that's close to you) when we went to meet our photographer and so ordered them online when we got back and they came in a day with the standard delivery option! - https://typo.com/UK/shop-all/offers/stationery-living-offers-letters/

Thank you BetweenTwoLungs! I'm hoping so... I haven't seen many other burgundy weddings but I love the colour!