A White Wedding - 19th May 2018

It is now only 4 months until my wedding day, so I have perhaps left it a little late to begin a thread but as things are now really gaining pace it will be nice to have a record of these manic last few months.
Now for the cheesy bit - Callum and I went to the same boarding school. He was two years older than me and I was his shadow, following him everywhere. After he left school I didn't hear from him again until 32 years later, when he emailed me out of the blue. Callum is from Hereford and I am from mid-Wales, I moved to Devon years ago and when Callum emailed me it turned out he now lived just 20 miles away. We met up and here we are now 18 months later planning our wedding. Callum proposed a year last Christmas, by May I had done nothing toward getting married (but thought about it all the time) mainly because I felt too old for a church white wedding but really didn't want anything else. I am a church goer, I have never married and still had my girlish daydreams of a traditional white wedding.  

I decided the sensible thing to do was to pop off to the registry office and get married. I just wanted to be his wife. But Cal made me sit and talk to him about what I really wanted, I felt so foolish wanting a proper wedding but he reassured me that I could do what I wanted and be damned the haters! Within days I was a full-time pinterest and wedding forum addict. And so the White Wedding planning began...

• mrsdivinemrsdivine Posts: 161 New bride

We went to see our vicar and booked the church for May 19th 2018. It is a tiny church, holding a max of 45 people, it  overlooks the bay and just happens to be very picturesque.

Our reception is in the hotel which is literally next door to the church along the coast path. It has the most beautiful views and is very much of a time gone by with silver service and still has a sweet trolley for puds! We are having our wedding breakfast in the dining room and our evening reception in The Cove room, which is perfect for the party we have planned with a band. Plus I get to decorate two rooms!image

• Lexi90Lexi90 Posts: 971

We’ve got the same wedding date! I started My thread so early I’ve been slow to update. Look forward to reading your plans.

I cannot believe how quickly the time is going! 

• What a lovely church - the view is so beautiful!!  Good for you for doing what you want to do.  There are no hard and fast rules anymore when it comes to weddings, you deserve to enjoy every bit of the planning process!

I'm trying to plan a church blessing almost exactly year after yours :)  We too are a so-called older couple, but in our case, we've both been married before.

Can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Lexi90 wrote (see post):

We’ve got the same wedding date! I started My thread so early I’ve been slow to update. Look forward to reading your plans.

I cannot believe how quickly the time is going! 

I have been keeping an eye on your thread to monitor just how behind I am with my planning!

KittyFiennes wrote (see post):

What a lovely church - the view is so beautiful!!  Good for you for doing what you want to do.  There are no hard and fast rules anymore when it comes to weddings, you deserve to enjoy every bit of the planning process!

I'm trying to plan a church blessing almost exactly year after yours :)  We too are a so-called older couple, but in our case, we've both been married before.

Can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Thank you Kitty. Some days I feel really silly going for the whole white wedding but for the most part I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I have always been frugal and try to make money go as far as possible. We don't have a budget as such, I am just trying to do everything as economically (cheaply) as possible. We are lucky because that is our choice (my choice!) not a neccessity. I am DIYing as much as possible firstly because I enjoy it so much and secondly because it is so money saving. 
    The Dress - This was definately going to be a 'secondhand, whatever I can find for as little as possible, it's only a dress, it's only going to be worn for one day' kind of dress. Unfortunately I decided to go for a day of trying on dresses in various shops in Exeter 'just to see what suits me'. My sister, my daughter and a friend came with me, all three specifically chosen because they are brutally honest. Because I am older I was really concerned about wearing a full on wedding dress and needed an honest judging panel.  I arrived at the first appointment a little late, my sister had arrived on time and had been filling in the assistant with what I was looking for and they had pulled a dress for me to try when I arrived. It was definately not what I would chosen but I tried it anyway. When I came out of the changing room everyone cried, I loved the dress and that was it. We did go to four more places and I tried on a lot of dresses but at the end of the day we went back to shop number one and I bought the dress. Whilst it was not the ebay cheap as chips purchase initially intended it was in a sale event they were having that day, it was £750 and within a couple of days I had justified the cost in my head! I frequently worry that it is far too young for me and I am terrified of looking like Miss Havisham but my sister doesn't hold back with her critiscms and I'm sure she wouldn't let me walk down the aisle looking ridiculous. So this is the dress;imageimageimage

Last weekend I went for my hair and make up trial. My MUA did a friend's wedding last year, I really like her and again she is no-nonsense honest. I was thrilled with the results of the trial. Less thrilled with the colour of my hair in the pics, I hadn't realised it had become so yellow, cue appointment with my regular hairdresser to sort out the colour next month.  The hair vine has only been plonked in and will be carefully and artistically added for the actual day! After much dithering I have decided to wear a veil 'in for a penny in for a pound'. That too will be carefully and thoughtfully strapped to my head on the day. But this is the general idea;imageimage

• Ali's goneAli's gone Posts: 544

Lovely church - those views are gorgeous.

Hair and dress look fab too - there's no such thing as 'age appropriate' these days, the only thing that matters is what suits you and makes you feel good on the day   

Pretty hair vine - where is it from?

Ali S 71 wrote (see post):

Lovely church - those views are gorgeous.

Hair and dress look fab too - there's no such thing as 'age appropriate' these days, the only thing that matters is what suits you and makes you feel good on the day   

Pretty hair vine - where is it from?

Thank you Ali. It will soon become apparent on my thread that I am uncomfortable spending money - my hair vine is typical - £3.49 ebay from China! There are beautiful hair vines on beautiful websites - I just can't bring myself to pay upwards of £80! So ebay it is!

And so to the DIY. There was no way I was making my own invites. Besides, the invitations were so old school traditional, plain and simple, that I knew they would cost very little.  All I wanted was a heavy, gilt edged ivory card with text. It was what I wanted and it would be cost friendly - Hmmm not so much!! Of the quotes I got, £8  per invite was the cheapest. Long story short, I bought 100 420gsm gilt edged cards from a printers wholesaler online for £26. I intended to take them to a printer for printing but everyone I contacted said that 420gsm would not go through their commercial printers and that they would need to be 'wet printed'. Cost of wet printing - £8 per card. Just for the hell of it I put one of the cards through my cheap home printer and amazingly - IT WORKED!! Less than an hour later both the day and evening invites were done. I am aware that most modern brides will think they are dreadful! but I love my invites. Unfortunately I can't get the gilt edge to show but here are the pics (it's okay if you think ughhh -  I love them anyway!)imageimage

imageI am on the church flower rota and whilst not a florist by any means, I love playing with flowers and have done funeral and wedding flowers. I really wanted to do my own flowers but time in the last couple of days pre-wedding will be scarce. With this in mind I decided to use fake flowers to make a floral garland to go over the church door. It would be far too time consumming to use fresh and do it myself the day before the wedding. I used a cheap christmas garland as the base and I am pleased with how it has turned out. It is really robust.  It measures 13ft and cost no more than £15 - hoping that is not glaringly obvious once it is secured in place!imageimage

• Kelly224Kelly224 Posts: 960 New bride

I think your invites are great!  I've always thought what's the point in spending loads of money on something that is going to be chucked in the bin!!  Fab job

Kelly224 wrote (see post):

I think your invites are great!  I've always thought what's the point in spending loads of money on something that is going to be chucked in the bin!!  Fab job

Thank you so much x

• Nynae15Nynae15 Posts: 41

Your dress is lovely! And will great wth the veil and hair vine. Loving reading your thread :) 

mrsdivine wrote (see post):
    Thank you Ali. It will soon become apparent on my thread that I am uncomfortable spending money - my hair vine is typical - £3.49 ebay from China! There are beautiful hair vines on beautiful websites - I just can't bring myself to pay upwards of £80! So ebay it is!

With you on that one... I resent the 'wedding tax' and hate the idea of wasting money on just one day so always on the hunt for bargains too!

I became addicted to making rose petal confetti last summer and currently have 8 ice-cream tubs full. I dried it out in the airing cupboard before putting it in the ice-cream tubs with silica sachets to keep it dry. I am going to put it in small striped bags (paper candy bags) and put those in two baskets on the benches , one each side of the church porch .image

page boy knickerbockers
    I have my nephew as a pageboy and I am going to dress him up traditionally in knickerbockers, cumberbund and peter pan collar shirt. I am making them myself. I haven't been able to find a pattern anywhere, so neccesity being the mother of invention, I took a pattern for pyjama bottoms and altered it with darts and cuffs. This is the pic of the first and second toiles which I will try on him next weekend. They don't show well in the pic and obviously when I make the actual pair of knickerbockers they won't be made in white shiny satin crepe!imageimage

Have done very little in the past month, we went on a road trip  holiday in  Texas (which was fab) but since we got back I have just felt really apathetic about the wedding. My wedding dress was supposed to be in at the beginning of February, when I got in touch with them to chase it up it transpired that they had forgotten to put my order in until Mid -December. I had ordered and paid for my dress on 1st July, so I was absolutely furious and worried sick in equal measure. They have now promised me that it will be here by the end of March.  So all I have achieved in the past four weeks is buying my imageshoes (which I got in Texas) and I have finished making my pageboy outfit. Starting on the flowergirl alterations next.

imageimageThe shoes

ooh, I have shoe envy!    I've been looking everywhere for silver/glittery shoes with that kind of heel.  Not sure I can justify a trip to Texas though, lol

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 775 New bride

I have to ask, where in Texas did you visit??  I had family there for many years!

I have to tell you...I honestly thought that the picture of your hair/ hair vine was from Pinterest!  I thought it was a photoshopped model! WOW.  I would pay for the recipe for your amazing skin and youthful looks. Your wedding dress looks amazing too. There's nothing to be brutally honest about with your look, you look great and should be very proud of how you look. You're going to be a beautiful bride.

Kitty thank you so much. I feel very self conscious of my age while planning this white wedding - so thank you for your kind words.  We loved Texas and visited Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, took in lots of Hill Country - Bandera,Fredricksburg. Then up to Abilene and Childress, Fort Worth and Dallas. It was a wonderful trip but I ate too much - probably quite a good thing that my dress won't be in for a fortnight!

7 weeks and no dress.

I ordered and paid a 50% deposit on my dress on the 1st of July. The shop 'forgot' to order my dress until mid December when I rang to find out where it was. They didn't tell me at that point that they hadn't ordered it. They said it would be in, in January. Then February. It finally arrived today.  I went to collect it at lunchtime. They have ordered it 2 sizes too small. I am a size 10, dress is a size 6. It is 7 weeks until my wedding day.

Update-  the dress is a UK 4 (I didn't know UK dress sizes went down to a 4).  Feeling very fed up.

I have done very little in the past couple of weeks whilst waiting for my dress to arrive. Really behind in organising and feeling quite despondent.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,762 New bride

Oh my word that's awful! Have they refunded you or offered to find you another dress? Maybe a  trip to Wed2Be would be a good start?

I have distracted myself this week by decorating my wedding cake. It is finished for now until l can put it on the bottom tier and finish the bottom.imageimageimage

• KaybridetobeKaybridetobe Posts: 153

Your cake looks absolutely stunning 

• ruthie1979ruthie1979 Posts: 794

Wow - your cake looks amazing xx

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,762 New bride

That cake is really beautiful.

• SarahevaSaraheva Posts: 13

I love all your DIYs! You're very talented and I absolutely love your hair - do you mind if I use your picture to show my hairdresser? Its exactly the look I'd like on mine!

from your picture I wouldn't put you a day past 30 - and you have a stunning figure too! Your dress looks fab :) I'm paying good money on facials and the gym to get to where you're at so embrace yourself, have a little confidence because there's a lot of women who would be envious!! 

The dress being ordered in the wrong size is absolutely disgraceful - what are they doing to resolve? I hope it gets sorted for you ASAP

Saraheva wrote (see post):

I love all your DIYs! You're very talented and I absolutely love your hair - do you mind if I use your picture to show my hairdresser? Its exactly the look I'd like on mine!

from your picture I wouldn't put you a day past 30 - and you have a stunning figure too! Your dress looks fab :) I'm paying good money on facials and the gym to get to where you're at so embrace yourself, have a little confidence because there's a lot of women who would be envious!! 

The dress being ordered in the wrong size is absolutely disgraceful - what are they doing to resolve? I hope it gets sorted for you ASAP

Oh my goodness - thank you so much. I am feeling really lousy at the moment after a bruising week of dress woes. You are more than welcome to you use my picture - I would have given a kidney for the compliment!!  Thank you for making me feel so much better x