Wedding sing along!

flowers380flowers380 Posts: 5

We are currently planning our ceremony and are hoping for some inspiration! 

We have only been to church weddings and one humanist ceremony so a civil ceremony is a bit unknown to us. One thing that we love about weddings is the singing, we cant have hymns as it is a civil ceremony but would love to have a couple of songs for our guests and us to sing together.

We have read lots of online posts about this and know we need to do it right so it doesn't end up being awkward (make sure we have lyrics printed and music accompaniment, maybe someone leading it).  Also our family and friends all love a good sing along and are all up for a fun so should be fine! Bearing in that in mind just wondering if anyone else has been to weddings where this has been done and what songs worked well?? Or if you just have any ideas songs that we might not have thought of!

We have a couple of ideas already: All you need is love - The Beatles, Ain't no mountain high enough- Marvin Gaye/ Tami Terrell

Thank you! :) 

• KittyFiennesKittyFiennes Posts: 772 New bride

Never have seen anything like this.  I suppose that's because my family is a bit stoical (as our friends) and we would def not be game for something like this. It's a push just to get us to sing in church.

I think your best bet might be, as you already mentioned, make sure the music/ lyrics are printed in your Order of Service, and play a recording of the song as it was professionally recorded.  That way, guests know (from the info in the OoS) that they can sing along, but if they don't , it isn't incredibly awkward because you still have the music playing.  If you don't have the recording playing, your worst case scenario is dead silence or a few awkwardly mumbling singers.

• Nikki-93Nikki-93 Posts: 171

I went to a Humanist wedding about a month ago and during their ceremony we sang Aint no mountain high enough. It was actually really fun and so unexpected we really enjoyed that it was so different to any other wedding we had been too. I refuse to sing at church weddings because I am in no way religious so it was nice to get involved singing a normal fun song.

• flowers380flowers380 Posts: 5

Thanks Nikki! Really good to hear that aint no mountain high enough worked well. Were you singing along to a recorded version or did they have someone singing at the front leading it? 

We have also thought of: Everlasting love - Love affair, Eight days a week - The Beatles, Your my best friend - Queen. 

More suggestions welcome, doesn't have to be particularly lovey just upbeat and easy to sing.

Or if you've been to a wedding where they have done this would be interesting to hear how it worked :)

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,761 New bride

Most church weddings I go to no one sings and it gets a bit embarassing, in my particular group of friends/family I suspect this would go even worse. I would cringe hard if asked to sing a pop song at a wedding personally.

If you are set on doing it you definitely need to play the actual song or have a singer to lead i I think.

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

Some of our wedding party are breaking out a song when we're signing the register - they are all primed and prepped, and if people want to join in then great but we're not expecting it. As suggested above, you should have someone to lead the signing just in case. 

If your guests are up for it, I think it will be lovely! 

Thanks for everyones input  We are definitely going to do it and have spoken to some guests who are up for it! We have plans to have backing tracks/ someone leading it to make sure it wont be awkward so don't worry about that side of it! 

Just looking for suggestions of songs or advice from people who have been to a wedding where this has been done.

That sounds really fun Elz! What song are you doing? 

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

My dad has refused to tell me what he's doing, but it'll probably be something folky (Marie's Wedding or similar I reckon), and my sister's OH is doing Nothing Else Matters and, terrifyingly, Copacobana - apparently he's come up with some alternative words!

The OH of one of my good friends is an actor and he's also agreed to be on standby, with something by Cole Porter or a show tune... 

• pastaparcelspastaparcels Posts: 18

What a talented wedding party! sounds like it's going to be great 

• Nikki-93Nikki-93 Posts: 171
    flowers380 wrote (see post):

Thanks Nikki! Really good to hear that aint no mountain high enough worked well. Were you singing along to a recorded version or did they have someone singing at the front leading it? 

We have also thought of: Everlasting love - Love affair, Eight days a week - The Beatles, Your my best friend - Queen. 

More suggestions welcome, doesn't have to be particularly lovey just upbeat and easy to sing.

Or if you've been to a wedding where they have done this would be interesting to hear how it worked :)

I believe they just played a recording via ipad and speakers.

• Kate-16Kate-16 Posts: 15

My best friend used “It’s getting better “ by Mama. Cass , it was great to sing as upbeat and fun it was magical! 

• MrsTraceyMrsTracey Posts: 802 New bride

We are doing this! We both work in musical theatre, so amongst our guests there will be lots of singers, west end performers etc, so we're hoping there will be enough enthusiastic people to carry those who aren't so keen along! 

We're having one person lead it on the mic, and a backing track. I'm also telling people in advance it's happening and asking them to just go for it! We're having "all you need is love" by the Beatles! 

I would also recommend something upbeat and not too serious or emotional, to encourage people to go with it and hopefully it should be really fun! X

Thanks! Its good to hear other people are doing this too :) 

• MissSMissS Posts: 265

I LOVE a singalong! esp when its to songs and not hymns! We went to a wedding 23rd Dec and they had xmas songs and honestly it was just the best everyone singing together and having fun! go for it! those are great sing along songs! Pre warn some guests and just make sure they know to kick start it and people tend to follow suit!