Romantic place 2-3 hours max away from London?

Hi EVERYONE!

Any suggestions for a Romantic place 2-3 hours max away from London? And if you can share your experiences on places and hotels?

We love outdoors, nature walks, organic farms, animals, etc BUT at the same time, we'd like to be relatively close to a town for drinks and food since we dont have a car (we are taking trains)

Happy Spring!

Thanks!

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 930 New bride

Bath? Or we stayed in Evesham in the Cotswolds one weekend which was lovely. 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Amanda224Amanda224 Posts: 3

Thank you Ginandbling (brilliant username) do you remember the hotels name? 

• GinAndBlingGinAndBling Posts: 930 New bride

I realised after that I should have included that ha! It was the Evesham Hotel. We got a deal on their from secret escapes which included dinner which was really good. They have a pool and a massive whisky cabinet which kept F busy! 

Our planning thread: We're completely winging it.

My weightloss thread: Diet denial! 
  • Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,130 New bride

We recently stayed at Ashdown Park hotel which is beautiful, has lovely grounds, a llama farm, and the Ashdown Forest near by (which is the forest which inspired Winnie the Pooh). Bath is gorgeous, Chichester is lovely too (we stayed in a really lovely treehouse hotel not far from there), I love Windsor for a night away too as there are nice hotels, countryside, the great park, and the town centre and bars.

Voyage Prive and Secret Escapes is often where we look for inspiration.

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,763 New bride

The George at Rye would fit the bill.

Agree Ashdown Park is lovely too.

Alexander House Hotel & Spa has been recommended to me a few times but I've not been there myself.

• Ashley72Ashley72 Posts: 1,130 New bride

Alexander House is lovely but so expensive!! They do do dinner inclusive packages etc but prices for drinks and treatments is pretty extortionate. Rowhill Grange is the sister hotel which is nice too. The grounds / surrounding area isn’t so nice. We stayed at a great place near Egham too - a 500 year old hunting lodge. I forget the name now but that was lovely!

We just had a weekend away and worked out for not much more we probably could have gone abroad! We used to do UK nights away a lot but have cut down recently with the wedding etc. You’re a captive audience at these country places - Ashdown Park we ordered two glasses of Pimms which were £10 each! We’re from London so used to drinks etc being expensive but given an entire bottle of Pimms is about £12 we thought they were a complete rip off!

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

The Bell in Ticehurst is gorgeous and has amazing food - you could taxi across from Wadhurst station which isn't too far away. Wadhurst itself is a nice village, and Bewl Water is very near and nice. 

I'll also second the George in Rye, so atmospheric and Rye is great. 

• MrsCToBeeMrsCToBee Posts: 1,763 New bride
    Elz2017 wrote (see post):

The Bell in Ticehurst is gorgeous and has amazing food - you could taxi across from Wadhurst station which isn't too far away. Wadhurst itself is a nice village, and Bewl Water is very near and nice. 

I'll also second the George in Rye, so atmospheric and Rye is great. 

Agree, it is lovely and local to us, it was actually on our list of wedding venues! It's close to Tunbridge Wells, where there are a few nice hotels within close reach of the countryside but also close to bars/restaurants/shops - The Spa Hotel, One Warwick Park, Hotel Du Vin or The Royal Wells Hotel are all nice.

• Amanda224Amanda224 Posts: 3

Thank you very much, I noticed most of the hotel recommendations are in Sussex, and that is exactly the area I was trying to avoid like a plague (bad memories) haha

We just enrolled on secret escapes but we find it hard to navigate and pictures are blurry is anyone else experience the same problem?

• Elz2017Elz2017 Posts: 316

Ah (but Sussex is so pretty...)... well, head west then, how about the Manor House in Moreton in Marsh, Cotswolds? I stayed there once YEARS ago so can't say what it's like now but the town is very pretty and there's plenty to do in the Cotswolds.